Sound effect changes since 1.4. Please give us your reason, Devs.

Aerilas

Hi everyone - thanks for posting your concerns. We're looking into this right now. As we investigate, please post in this thread if you've noticed any sound effects that have been replaced with new sound effects or any that are missing. Thank you!

Smuggler - Emergency Medpac (Instant heal, consumes Upper Hand) does indeed have a different sound now since 1.4 patch.

Edited by Tiggy

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a distinct sound at the beginning when you are firing with your powered blastered, boostered as you call them. It's kind of hollow and airy, but it's there, but only for the first shot.

Further, Troopers!

Grav Round now has this bizarre glass gear wind up sound when you are charging it to fire. MAKE IT GO AWAY. ;_;

I love the new grav round sound!! the old one was pathetic, this new one sounds like you are actually spinning up a powerful shot that will hurt, not tickle!

Just wish they'd amped up HIB's damp squib effect at the same time.....

I didn't read every post in the thread so I assume someone else mentioned it, but the sound of Orbital Strike has changed as well. Not so much changed but the sound of the ship before the blasts hit seems to be very muted. Even if it's cast right where I'm standing.

Hi everyone - thanks for posting your concerns. We're looking into this right now. As we investigate, please post in this thread if you've noticed any sound effects that have been replaced with new sound effects or any that are missing. Thank you!

So, here's what I've noticed so far:

Tracer Missle: A fraction of the sound it used to be, now only kinda hear the missle leave.

Heatseeker Missles: Again, a fraction of the sound, and only hear the missles leave, mostly just a 'pft' sound

Pets: NONE of the pets make noise anymore when deployed (which makes me sad with my tauntauns).

Companions: STILL have the bug, while you are in a public place, of not hearing the voice when deployed to crew skills, or they are from others companions in the vicinity.

These are off the top of my head, I'll post more as I find them.

I love the new grav round sound!! the old one was pathetic, this new one sounds like you are actually spinning up a powerful shot that will hurt, not tickle!

Just wish they'd amped up HIB's damp squib effect at the same time.....

Then we are hearing two totally different things because my Grav Round doesn't sound like a round at all. More like a puff of air.

Secondly, I have noticed a great deal more of my trooper's abilities "misfiring". Before the patch, Grav Round would do it every once in awhile, now I've had it with Full Auto, Mortar Volley, and Hail of Bolts. I get the global cool down but no damage and no animation.

I think the Tactical Advantage... whirr? may have gone missing. I still want my giggle back, of course.

lvl 50 trooper ship w/all upgrades. ship blaster sound now shows no difference since 1.4 when using "power conversion mod". - pcm set to blasters sounded full and powerful, now no diff between pcm settings.

shadow lightsaber when standing still is louder now than before 1.4

shadow healer comp (Theren Cedrax?) when wearing an "open" helmet sounds like he's wearing a full "closed" helmet.

Well, since your going to fix sounds, please please please bring back the Scoundrel Giggle. The current sound for Upper Hand is the same sound as Harpoon. When in an operation, it's impossible to tell that sound from the ambient noise of combat. The whole reason you had the giggle in the first place was to have an easily identifiable sound for our proc.

Yes, you said you were concerned with noise saturation, but we all know this is a lie. Female Troopers scream bloody murder all day. Gunslingers scream all day long. Bounty Hunters laugh a ton.

Sawbones Scoundrels? We sit in the back all raid being all emo and quiet as a church mouse. The whole story of the Smuggler is one of a smart *** and you turn around and silence him from being a smart ***? I don't understand.

Well add the Gunnery commando sounds to this.

I played mine the other day and it felt a totally different experience. Kinda weird if you ask.

I had the feeling of playing another class. Less a KBOOM but more a zip, zip, pew, pew feeling.

Now you mention it looks like someone had fun messing the sounds before being let go :p

Edited by Deewe

If you are going to fix all these sound issues including Lucky Shots, Charged Burst, etc etc etc, you might as well give back the Smuggler laugh. You see, everybody loved that. I hate when you do things like this, change an animation like Tracer Missile or simply remove the laugh, at least give us the option to turn ot on/off. It really bothers most players and I'm 100% sure that this attitude has lost you not-one subscription.

Thank you for dropping by...

But, come on! This thread was created within hours of the update deployment. It's 5 days later and now you are investigating?

Riposte and it's sister ability for the Marauder is bugged. They are missing that armor penetration sound at the end of the ability. Riposte never had it, but Retaliation did. Both abilities need this sound. I placed several tickets about Riposte not working correctly...now, instead of fixing Riposte, the broke Retaliation as well. :(

As far as I know, there's been no word on whether or not the audio changes in 1.4 were intentional, or an oversight.

That said, I'd like to bring up what I think is one of the more important skills that was affected: the Scoundrel's Emergency Medpac. Emergency Medpac previously shared a sound effect with your companion healer's instant heal: a crisp, clear, distinct "beep." I have no doubt that some players might find this annoying, which makes me wonder if the change was intentional. However, regardless of personal preference, the fact is that the change has caused a fairly fundamental gameplay problem for Scoundrel healers: lack of an audiovisual confirmation of successful cast.

Let me explain and expand a bit more on that concept by comparing 1.4's Emergency Medpac to its Imperial Equivalant: the Operative's Surgical Probe.

1. The sound effect for Surgical Probe has a much higher pitch that Emergency Medpac; it's easy to hear regardless of what's going on. Comparatively, Emergency Medpac's sound is muffled, distant, and easily overpowered by other sounds. The new sound is essentially a quiet "woosh" -- barely audible over a saber swing.

2. Surgical Probe's activation animation noticeably alters your player's pose, regardless of movement state. It's an obvious visual cue. Emergency Medpac's animation is often clipped by movement, prior ability use, or animation bugs. All Scoundrel heals use the same activation animation, and Scoundrels will often become animation bugged during combat, forcing them to retain this pose for a period of time. The combined result: it's often unapparent that Emergency Medpac connected.

3. Surgical Probe has a conspicuous impact animation. Emergency Medpac does not, unless it is cast directly on the player.

The audio change to Emergency Medpac essentially removed the ability's only distinct audiovisual cue.

Edited by HansBrolo

Riposte and it's sister ability for the Marauder is bugged. They are missing that armor penetration sound at the end of the ability. Riposte never had it, but Retaliation did. Both abilities need this sound. I placed several tickets about Riposte not working correctly...now, instead of fixing Riposte, the broke Retaliation as well. :(

I never relied on any sounds for riposte because its animation is already unique enough (it's a forward horizontal stab instead of any of the other slashing animations). Also the only sound I ever noticed was one associated for when you parry and it becomes available (the LS tip shimmers like after you've committed skill points), in the files the effect is tied to riposte_passive. I haven't gotten around playing any sith warriors though. The abilities don't increase armor penetration anyway, so I'm not sure why there would have been a sound associated with that in the first place.

While you're looking at the audio settings, Devs, could you please tone down the healing sound effect on Rapid Shot? The sound is fine when you're shooting at enemies, but the healing sound (which is apparently the same sound effect as Kolto Injection) makes my left eye twitch uncontrollably halfway through a Flashpoint.

To add to the Orbital Strike mushy, crappy noise: the animation appears to have changed somewhat as well. Whereas before you would get a sharp, strong laser beam of light which slams into the ground, you now get a far more mediocre set of strings which flitter to the ground a bit like fairy snot. If the Empire did use fairies in their cannons, I am sure they would not be so hesitant and haphazard in their delivery of the fae anguish.