Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Lucas Arts taking more Interest?

limenutpen

So I see the press release of the new Live Steam Event 1, and this is a bit a surprise; seeing Lucas Arts name more in the headlines. So far it seemed more BW and EA always on top. I honestly think this was not a typo...

What do you think?

BioWare and LucasArts are excited to announce a new monthly LiveStream Q&A Event. The objective of this new LiveStream event series is to answer any questions our Community has concerning the content within each Game Update. Below is all the information you need in order to watch and participate in the first monthly LiveStream Event.

UNQUOTE

Maybe George Lucas is taking a bigger interest in the game. Oh wait. That's not necessarily a GOOD thing is it?!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You forgot...

Ewoks.

Ewoks and the Smiley Ghost Celebration Choir.

Every single minute of The Prequels.

The Christmas special.

Naming his scary anti-hero/villain "Annie" (Was Suzy taken?).

Replacing awesome miniature effects with horrible CGI ones (Ep IV Spec. Ed.).

Forever tarnishing the image of good actors (Sam Jackson, Natalie Portman, Ewan MacGregor, Liam Neeson).

Forever gouging his fans with "special editions".

He should be lauded though for his pioneering work of offering acting jobs to human-shaped pieces of wood (Jake and Hayden).

Plus, LA itself has pumped out some pretty craptastic SW games.

LucasArts should take all rights away from EA for this game. The old guys from BioWare should all go to LucasArts and work on this game right :)

That's what I truly would like to happen. Screw EA. Seriously...

We could'nt be so lucky. And I too believe that dumping EA would be a major plus for the future of SWTOR.

Yeah. LA has a terrible track record with trying to produce their own software. In fact, I think they have gotten completely out of that end of things and are focused on IP licensing only now days. They gutted their internal development teams back in 2008 if I recall correctly.

Besides, the management team has been on a revolving door at LA for years now. This is a company in protracted turmoil... so having their hands directly on anything would be a disaster.

Not really. They are currently in development of new Star Wars game right now called Star Wars 1313. If there is one thing they have at least done right with their past couple games, Force Unleashed 1 and 2, and this upcoming one, it will at least look very, very good graphics wise.

Edited by Blev

LcuasArts used to make some really good games...

X-wing Vs. Tie Fighter

Outlaws

Jedi Knight

Monkey Island

Sam and Max

Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe

Dark Forces

The Dig

Grim Fandango

Republic Commando

etc..etc..etc...

Unforanantly they haven't had a real big hit for a very long time... Force Unleashed and it's sequal IMO sucked....

Seems LucasArts best days are behind them..

Couple points

I have seen George Lucas bashing turn into extended forum vacations so you guys might want to chill out.

Also SWTOR is the last game Lucastarts will allow a 3rd party developer to work on, from now on everything is going to be done by LA in-house like it was back during the X-wing Vs Tie fighter days, LA has a vested interest in TOR's success, so you can expect to see them take a more prominent role and yes there are industry rumors that LA may take control of the property, they have the in-house capability to create VO affordably and they have recently built a QA section that is the envy of most development houses.

So at the least LA will be taking a more prominent role at the most they may even take charge of the project.

Couple points

I have seen George Lucas bashing turn into extended forum vacations so you guys might want to chill out.

Also SWTOR is the last game Lucastarts will allow a 3rd party developer to work on, from now on everything is going to be done by LA in-house like it was back during the X-wing Vs Tie fighter days, LA has a vested interest in TOR's success, so you can expect to see them take a more prominent role and yes there are industry rumors that LA may take control of the property, they have the in-house capability to create VO affordably and they have recently built a QA section that is the envy of most development houses.

So at the least LA will be taking a more prominent role at the most they may even take charge of the project.

His ego that big that he can't take it that fans of his IP don't like the direction he is taking his IP, and without which he would not be were he is today? :rolleyes:

Source? :cool:

Edited by Urael

I am curious to see the source of the info regarding LA doing everything in-house from now on. I can believe it, I just hadn't heard it. (edit: sorry, I see your post now, thanks) :)

I think LA taking a vested interest in TOR is a good thing.

Side note, you all should watch the documentary "The People vs. George Lucas". :)

Edited by chuixupu

I am curious to see the source of the info regarding LA doing everything in-house from now on. I can believe it, I just hadn't heard it. (edit: sorry, I see your post now, thanks) :)

I think LA taking a vested interest in TOR is a good thing.

Side note, you all should watch the documentary "The People vs. George Lucas". :)

From the source he linked above:

Meegan has also been rumored as saying that all external developments of LucasArts properties will be halted. BioWare’s Old Republic will be the last Star Wars game not developed internally at LucasArts.

Crystal, no?

:cool:

What do I think?

1. All smugglers will have their ability delay increased so thay can NEVER shoot first.
  2. Oh crap we are getting Gugans and Ewoks! :eek:
  3. All the light effects in SWTOR will be "enhanced"
  4. Maybe we will finally get continuous music?
  5. All the emotes will be retuned for all Sith Characters so they will be as EMO as Hayden Christensen!!

:D

definitely needs more special effects, and a story line that incorporates the pregenitors of Dack

No!!!! That would NOT be good in ANY way!!! Those guys are the exact same guys who created THIS game! With a MASSIVE budget and all the employees you could ever dream of - up to 800 were reported.

George doesn't give a flip about Star Wars...have you seen the Clone Wars cartoon? Did you ever play SWG and see the wings?! George doesn't care at all what happens in a video game.

No!!! This game is better off without the guys who created what we have. Until I hear differently, from them, they were the freaking masterminds here.

I have to agree with you on this except for the Clone Wars cartoon part. I really don't undersatnd why people hate it so much. The episodes are actually pretty good. The only thing kiddie about it is the animation direction they used. Most of the episodes are in between PG-13 to borderline R rated. But anyways. Just my opinion.

SWG is a prime example of how LA views their products. Well. I would have to say their MMO's. The three that they have made, IMHO, have been lackluster. SWG and TOR do have their good qualities to them. But overall, SWTOR shares the same problem that SWG had which will be it's downfall, poor management.

At first when LA stated that all development for future games would be in house, I was happy to hear it because then the next MMO wouldn't have to deal with 2-3 different management departments to get anything done. But after seeing how SWG was handled. Seeing how TOR is being handled. I had to ask myself what was the common denominator in all of this? LA. So no. I don't believe for a minute that if LA became the sole management and development for this game that things would get better.

That was Obsidian actually.

Yes, but they were the one that forced them to release out the door when they knew it wasn't finished because LA wanted to sell it before Christmas. It appears it would have been fantastic had they been able to complete it.

Edited by Arlon_Nabarlly

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.