Legacy Names no longer unique

mrpayday

Its the new mini game they have added to the system.

Come F2P people can create infinate accounts and make their legacy names match people ingame and then just go around griefing and upsetting any community left.

Hours of fun with no dev work required.

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A person's legacy is what draws all their characters together. Why should someone else's characters be made part of that legacy without their consent?

This is a terrible idea. I urge Bioware to reconsider. It's not a sign to weakness to change one's mind when the original idea is a bad one. I hope Bioware do so while they still can. I think it would be seen as a very positive thing if they listened to the community in this way.

Edited by Estelindis

This is so dumb. I was really hoping they would add functionality at some point to become "friends" with another Legacy so you could see whenever your buddy was online any of his alts. With this silly, pointless change they've taken away a lot of potential cool ideas away.

This is so dumb. I was really hoping they would add functionality at some point to become "friends" with another Legacy so you could see whenever your buddy was online any of his alts. With this silly, pointless change they've taken away a lot of potential cool ideas away.

Friends list. Use it.

This is absolutely related to server mergers and transfers. I still wonder how they will deal with merging legacies on transfer, but this seems to be the first step. I wonder if the next will be making legacy account wide instead of server specific?

Anyway, I too would have preferred unique legacy names and repeatable first names, but I can see the problem they had with this. Since legacy names aren't specified until you finish chapter one, you would not be able to distinguish between two characters with the same first name until they reached legacy level. Without legacy names at character creation, the opposite (unique legacy/repeat able names) is not possible.

A person's legacy is what draws all their characters together. Why should omeone else's characters be made part of that legacy without their consent?

This is a terrible idea. I urge Bioware to reconsider. It's not a sign to weakness to change one's mind when the original idea is a bad one. I hope Bioware do so while they still can. I think it would be seen as a very positive thing if they listened to the community in this way.

So you are saying there should only be one surname per person on planet earth too? Silly, IMO.

The point of Legacy names was to give players the ability to personalize their characters with a surname and to couple that surname with every one of their characters. Making it unique to begin with was a tactical mistake on Biowares part, particularly in light of server transfers and people being forced to forfeit both name and surname to make the transfer. They have corrected the mistake, ahead of shutting down the locked servers. Good job as far as I am concerned. Note: I have no skin the in the game on this as I have never had anyone take my surname.

Maybe choose a more unique surname for your Legacy if you want uniqueness. ;)

I mean, some guys have 8-16 toons... The only thing tying then together was the legacy. More than once I've recognized a new character by legacy name. This is just weird.

I'm sure it ties into f2p in some way. But you know, if I can guarantee a unique legacy name.... I just might do that.

This is a bad idea, I have my legacy name in Guild wars, WOW and now here. And now some newbie who has not played the game before and is getting it free is going to take my name. 2 ideas, those who have founder titles should be excempt, because we have been with this game from day 1. Loyalty counts. 2 if someone takes a name a legacy name it should be numbered, so if someone takes say, Janus, it should be janus 2, to show its not original. Its a bad idea and is going to pee off a lot of people. People are saying whats it matter? you make characters on games like this to be as individual as possible, that means names to. Some player walking around with my name whos playing the game free and has paid cheap for the game is an insult.

Best case scenario: It ruins things for RPers, makes people less easy to identify, and generally takes away a layer of customization.

Worst case scenario: Lets say you and I are on the same server and you do something that pisses me off. Say I am a really vindictive person and a huge dick. Whats to stop me from making a new f2p account, taking your legacy name, and getting myself invited to your guild. Hey, we've got the same legacy, how would they know the difference? I then proceed to steal your guild bank and general do everything I can to destroy your reputation. For all your guild and server knows, its you. You are now an outcast and cannot ever get into a guild again.

wow, that sucks. Better hope the other people with your name aren't a**holes.

This!!

What is the logic behind this move? I don't follow the forums religiously, but I haven't seen a hint of this coming....is it as out of the blue as it seems to me?

Edited by DarthPookie

I think this change is in a word, retarded. The whole point of legacy names is having a unique identifier of the player, so that everyone knows who is who across multiple characters. A change like this, without being accompanied by for instance account wide friend/ignore lists is really short sighted.

Character first names are easier to generate something interesting randomly (all my character names used the random name generator). People generally want their legacy names to be somewhat more descriptive/understandable.

With the game going free to play, it becomes easy for people to camp the more descriptive/desireable legacy names and thus cause people trouble trying to come up with stupid alternate spellings/etc to overcome the fact that there really are a limited number of these. Basically it is to avoid all the zzSkywalkerzz s and the like. I would rather have a fleet full of Skywalkers than a fleet full of zzSywalkerzz Škywalker, Sķywalker, Cloudstrider, Spacewalker, Skyambulator etc...

correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that the point of the legacy title was that (on top of grouping all your toons into a family/group) you were supposed to be able to identify people you know that might be on alts, or on the opposite faction, simply by looking at their legacy tag. Wouldn't this kill the intention?

Whats to stop me from making a new f2p account, taking your legacy name, and getting myself invited to your guild. Hey, we've got the same legacy, how would they know the difference?

Any guild that does not safeguard against this is a bad guild IMO. IF you actually tried this, any smart guild leadership would see through you instantly.

You can create doomsday scenarios all you like, but that does not make them realistic.

correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that the point of the legacy title was that (on top of grouping all your toons into a family/group) you were supposed to be able to identify people you know that might be on alts, or on the opposite faction, simply by looking at their legacy tag. Wouldn't this kill the intention?

That was an imposed benefit by the player base IMO. Bioware wanted you to have legacy names to allow you to construct a legacy for your character set. A surname ties them together, just like family in real life. However, most people in real life don't assume or expect that anyone on the planet with their surname = part of their family.

Bioware made a mistake by not allowing Legacy names to be non-unique. They are correcting their mistake.

Please people were complaining that they can't change their legacy name, and now when BW fixes that people are angry?....Jeez they really can't win. More to the point here, last names aren't uniquie because you can find someone with the same last name as you and also heck in the Star Wars universe last names aren't even rare at all.

Captain Antilles has the same last name as Wedge Antilles, yet they have no relation to one another at all.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Any guild that does not safeguard against this is a bad guild IMO. IF you actually tried this, any smart guild leadership would see through you instantly.

You can create doomsday scenarios all you like, but that does not make them realistic.

Also if I may add, usually your guild "knows" you enough from interacting with you. People tend to have certain "personalities" for lack of a better word that are evident: use of phrases, types of jokes, general demeanor.

The impostor would have to have studied the person they are trying to imitate. That would mean A LOT of interaction with that person. I don't think we have to worry about people trying to "steal our identies". ;)

Please people were complaining that they can't change their legacy name, and now when BW fixes that people are angry?....Jeez they really can't win.

But we cant change our name, yet.

"in a Future update"

Like everything they ever say, im still waiting on working Hood+ helm except the black hole/campaign helm and circlets for inquisitor.

The worst part? its probably just a :

Hide_helmet_Hood= 0

instead of

Hide_helmet_Hood= 1

-_-

That was an imposed benefit by the player base IMO. Bioware wanted you to have legacy names to allow you to construct a legacy for your character set. A surname ties them together, just like family in real life. However, most people in real life don't assume or expect that anyone on the planet with their surname = part of their family.

Bioware made a mistake by not allowing Legacy names to be non-unique. They are correcting their mistake.

I feel like you are just standing by their side no matter what they do wrong. Tell me, one day, when they do change something that you held value to, and you do decide to quit the game...will you still stand by their side then?

Come on, this was a blatant no no on biowares behalf. They screwed up royally here. No MMO has ever made a "Global Name" usable by all players. Bioware really screwed up this time. I am shocked that anyone would even defend this.