The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Why Bioware should shift most of their focus to PvP

nellosmomishot

Vastly more PvP is done on the internet than PvE, probably by orders of magnitude. :)

Of course you can link to proof of that.Oh no.This isn't a because I think it is so it must be so fact is it?Future journalist.:eek:

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

lol the reason pvp forums have so many threads and posts is because of all the WHINING.

doesnt mean there is more interest! it means they are the most vocal.

PVP crowd:

FIRST TO COMPLAIN

HARDEST TO PLEASE

FIRST TO LEAVE

and this is the hard truth. pvp crowd are adrenaline junkies there for a short thrill. when that instant gratification is not met, they complain.

think about it: pve, you must plan, work with others and wait for lock out periods in order to raid. you must be patient.

pvp, you just queue up and kill.

adrenaline junkie whiners.

/thread

PvP section of the forum:

37,260 Total Threads, 663,055 Total Posts

Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions section of the forum:

6,159 Total Threads, 66,567 Total Posts

While not a perfect metric, it should indicate what the majority of the player base has a vested interest in.

As an avid PvPer it would not take much to make me happy. New maps is all it would take. They don't even have to be AWESOME new maps, they just have to be NEW maps. Look at Call of Duty; they sell a game for $60 and then charge $15 every quarter for 4-5 new maps. It seems like this would fit in very well with the new F2P model.

if i were to use your logic. wouldn't you think a more accurate indication would be the number of pvp servers vs pve servers?

despite what you think about pvp. running around killing the same 8 mobs types weeks/months/years on end in a few different settings doesnt constitute a challenging end game for the better gamer. if it did then the losers would NOT need to be rewarded. it is just something else to do on a non raid night.

lol the reason pvp forums have so many threads and posts is because of all the WHINING.

PVP crowd:

FIRST TO COMPLAIN

HARDEST TO PLEASE

FIRST TO LEAVE

and this is the hard truth. pvp crowd are adrenaline junkies there for a short thrill. when that instant gratification is not met, they complain.

think about it: pve, you must plan, work with others and wait for lock out periods in order to raid. you must be patient.

/thread

As a day one early access memeber, 8 month subscriber and PVP'er i find your generalizations to be insulting, i could retort with "Yeah, keep killing those tough NPC's ******"....but i wont stoop to your lvl.

As a day one early access memeber, 8 month subscriber and PVP'er i find your generalizations to be insulting, i could retort with "Yeah, keep killing those tough NPC's ******"....but i wont stoop to your lvl.

is it credential time? cuz i was in 2 betas bought two CEs and had 5 days EGA and ive seen the pvp crowd whine and complain and leave the game instantly.

Bioware's biggest mistake is that they tried to incorporate a framework within a framework like hopeless romantics to begin with. When you create two frameworks with conflict of interest you can't expect both frameworks to survive because there can only be one main framework.

Imagine if you will, that Bioware had made Pazaak available in SWTOR. Now imagine, that Bioware makes you believe that Pazaak is the only reason you're playing SWTOR. It is the exact same thing.

For PVP to work it will have to be the game's entire framework. PVE should be the supplement, not the other way around. Example: Lineage 2. But it's too late for that now. They would have to reengineer the entire game from the bottom up.

You want my advice? Focus on the PVE.

Edited by Nilatis

While not a perfect metric, it should indicate what the majority of the player base has a vested interest in.

As an avid PvPer it would not take much to make me happy. New maps is all it would take. They don't even have to be AWESOME new maps, they just have to be NEW maps. Look at Call of Duty; they sell a game for $60 and then charge $15 every quarter for 4-5 new maps. It seems like this would fit in very well with the new F2P model.

While i agree more should be done towards PvP, number of posts indicate number of posts and nothing more. I'd be careful of giving the people behind this game any ideas on what to charge.

Oh please God, no.

I think my IQ drops just reading the PvP forums. The other day there was some kiddie that playes a Marauder complaining about some other class being OP'd FFS. If there's a group of players they should never, ever listen to, it's PvPers. If a game's primary PvP is instanced arenas, they'll complain about lack of OWPvP. If it's primarily OWPvP, they'll complain about it being a zergfest. Classes in this game are almost identical mirrors, and you STILL see morons in GC say Empire or Republic is overpowered.

PVP crowd:

FIRST TO COMPLAIN

HARDEST TO PLEASE

FIRST TO LEAVE

/thread

I agree with this. PVP players like to think they are the majority of most MMO's, but the truth is they usually only represent about 30% of the player base. I remember back in the days after the release of TBC expansion for WoW and the PVP crowd complaining to Blizz for more PVP content and Blizz's response was basically that only about 30% of thier player base PVP'ed on a regular bases. So it made sense for them to concentrate more on what the majority of thier player base wanted. :rolleyes:

I wish Bioware would run a poll for their *existing* players, instead of just a poll for players who're in the process of unsubscribing.

I totally believe that if they did so... they'd realize the primary part of their game that's currently "working" is PvP. And they should be playing to their strengths, instead of throwing more money at stuff that isn't working.

Except BioWare doesn't need to do this because their head designers know better than their customers what their customers want. And thus why this game continues to bleed customers...

I understand lots of people love pvp. But SWTOR was never about pvp. We all knew that when we got the game. That´s the only reason i´d never try out guildwars 2. Because that game is mostly about pvp.

Realy developers should fokus on their strong sides and not try to make their worse sides better. They just end up making their strong side weaker, and their weak sides (expvp) will still not be as strong as the games fokusing on that.

Make your strong points even stronger. Develop your strenghts and market those strenghts. Accept that your not going to be best at everything, if you try that you just end up beeing mediocre at everything. And nobody wants to play a mediocre game.

This may come as a surprise to some of you, but... not everyone enjoys PvP. I understand that some people do like it and have I no problem with Bioware making improvements to it, but it should not be their primary focus. That's like saying you need to focus on repainting a house when the foundation is cracking. Priorities.

I recall a poll during beta about people's playstyle. The results were something like 30-40% of the players participated in PvP. I think the PvP groups are far more vocal than others, so it gives the impresssion that they are the majority.

Again, I have no problem with them improving PvP, I just disagree that it should be their main focus.

Lets take a quick look at some other forums.

Looking at the rift forums. 15k threads 300k posts in pvp, 5k threads 98k posts in dungeons and raids. Warcraft forums 455 pages of posts in raid and dungeons, 600 pages in arenas and 699 in battlegrounds.

To me what you posted is just another indicator that the pvp community is the most vocal (possibly read whiniest), and that this holds true for just about every game out there.

I disagree with OP. If this game were all about PvP most of the players would simply leave.

I am at best a casual PvPer, it is not my main focus nor can I foresee a time when it ever will be.

Many of the nerfs and buffs that have been undertaken due to PvP have actually hurt PvE. Though to be fair alot of those issues have been worked out as the game has progressed.

This is an MMO

not a FPS

Eh. The majority of the threads on the PvP forum are mainly complaints and nerf threads. While I do wish and hope they will give more content for PvP like giving intensives for open world PvP I know this is a PvE game and that is never going to change.

I think most of us PVP'ers are frustrated because:

a) PVP in this game is really good. We don't mean the overall PVP system, but the various combat / skills etc makes for a very exciting, interesting, and fun time. I for one have tried GW2 PVP... and while the objectives-based world PVP does leave me salivating, the actual fighting/character mechanics are boring as hell.

b) PVP in this game could be really great. I don't think it's a huge investment to get to the point where the PVP system is self-sustaining, and just positively awesome. We don't need a new WZ every 3 months to keep us fresh. If they just finished what they started in Ilum, if they just take a few pages from GW2's book, if they finished rwz queues... we would be set for the next *years*.

I have to wonder if the PVE in this game is *that* great. As a leveling experience, sure. But are you sure many of the PVE'ers (not necessarily the hard-core ones in this game, but the 'average' player) can't or won't find similar experiences elsewhere?

I disagree with OP. If this game were all about PvP most of the players would simply leave.

I am at best a casual PvPer, it is not my main focus nor can I foresee a time when it ever will be.

Many of the nerfs and buffs that have been undertaken due to PvP have actually hurt PvE. Though to be fair alot of those issues have been worked out as the game has progressed.

This is an MMO

not a FPS

A lot of those "nerfs" were due to Operations presenting no challenge (rez's, heals), not due to PvP. Bioware admitted they wanted more control over how much healing a person could do in an Ops - not PvP. They wanted to control 'spike' effects, possibly for PvP too, but mostly for PvE. Before the nerfs (1 rez, 1 heal), Ops were amazingly easy.

Shift most of their focus to PvP on a game that was designed from ground up to be about story?

That makes a LOT of sense!

Wrong. It was designed to be an MMO. They have so little faith in the story keeping people that they're giving it away for FREE!