Official F2P Announcement

Quinnt

We'll see what it actually is in about 90 minutes.

I'm guessing the other person you replied to is right though. F2P = we aren't making enough money as a sub.

5+ years of spending and development, slowly going down the toilet within 8 months. Sad, just...sad.

Can you even begin to imagine the hate you'd have got if you said at launch that it would be f2p 8mounths on. I'll still play, f2p that is. I do enjoy the game, but not enough to get me to pay a sub fee when f2p is available. It will be nice personally, I can switch between Swtor and Gw2, all for free:D

• Replies 792
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From a PvP/Story perspective (thats all I care about) this is fine. I can experience all the stories and do some PvP on the side while leveling.

I don't care about OPs and FPs I spent little time in anyway. With work/school I don't have enough time to justify a sub this fall anyway. This actually works out perfectly for me.

I was worried about the travel thing for a sec but then I was like as long as I have a speeder I don't really care since the 40 and 50 speeders while cooler are about the same speed.

And on the off chance I miss anything I can just buy it. Win. Win. Win.

Can you even begin to imagine the hate you'd have got if you said at launch that it would be f2p 8mounths on. I'll still play, f2p that is. I do enjoy the game, but not enough to get me to pay a sub fee when f2p is available. It will be nice personally, I can switch between Swtor and Gw2, all for free:D

you know, ever since champions online went F2P, despite the fact i haven't subbed to that game since 3 months prior to it going F2P, they still give me al lthe benefits of a subscriber, still have me listed as a subscriber, and give me the coins a subscriber gets.

Maybe i should tell them about it?

I am unsubscribing as soon as I log in tonight. Thanks BW for breaking my addiction! Any purchasable in game currency will be used and abused to generate more income. Pretty soon even subscription accounts will require this currency.

Best of luck to everyone who sticks with it.

Except Subs will automatically get Cartel Coins every month for the simple fact they are paying a sub. You don;t have to pay anything extra.

From what I am reading they appear to be using a F2P model like LOTRO which was a very good one. Us people who want to subscribe will have everything like normal but people who want piece mill buy things they also will. I know when LOTRO went F2P they actually picked up alot more subs due to smart people realizing that its cheaper. Either way it gave LOTRO the capital to put out 3 or 4 expansions since it went to it.

Looks like BW is even going a step further by giving subs first login priority. At this time I am enjoying this game alot so to me this is a plus if it means they will be able to provide us more stuff on a quicker schedule. Cause with F2P you constantly have to add new shinies for the F2Pers to buy to keep the money coming in.

Now if i can just get me 8 more character slots I will be happy.

I agree, LOTRO did a good job with their F2P model and this looks very similar. I think it will bring more people to the game, and if they find they enjoy it enough the new people will probably start subbing. This is all good for the game and its longevity.

Not sure why everyone is all up in arms. Free to play model is the newest thing and allows people to play for free, but when they get hooked, they will have to pay for it because of the free 'limitations'. Just like LOTRO, I played that for free but certain quests you had to pay for and so on...it was crazy and basically made me subscribe or I was getting a much lesser game. This will bring a TON of new players to the galaxy and that will be a good thing....

Edit: same could be said for DC uni. I paid for THAT too because the Free wasnt nearly as fun as the paid version. When I invest serious time into a game, I want the full experience, not little bits and pieces which is what the free players will get. I will tell you this, their PAID subscriber numbers will only go up from now.

Edited by SRTtoZZ

Now the game will no longer be the player with the best skill, but the biggest wallet. Great.

Someone didnt read that they arent selling p2w yet, and hopefully never will.

$15 a month for access to OPs, Unlimited Fps, Unlimited Wzs, Free Updates, "Travel Options", and Vanity Item tokens.

Seems fine to me.

i love this game, i have been a 100% paying customer from day one, never have i missed renewing my monthly , and i did not get a six month plan, even when i stopped playing for 3 months i kept paying , because i think it was deserving of at least 50 cents a day as support to see where you guys took this game...

now after all this time this is what you chose to do? i feel not only disgusted and dissapointed , but also insulted, i feel the need to express my utter discontent with this decision, as expected , EA has done it yet again, and i doubt i will remain a paying subscriber for too long now.

nothing short of the announcement of legacy (paying) players-only servers , or the decision to not go F2P is very likely to make me remain a monthly subscriber

thank you bioware, and i hope you can pull it off, but i do not want to deal with the f2p gaming community , ive experienced it in other f2p games and its the reason i dont play them

:mad:

you know, ever since champions online went F2P, despite the fact i haven't subbed to that game since 3 months prior to it going F2P, they still give me al lthe benefits of a subscriber, still have me listed as a subscriber, and give me the coins a subscriber gets.

A squad car is on its way to your location

Edited by SNCommand

This game has the most horrid and whiney user base I have ever seen. Seriously, F the star wars franchise if these are the window lickers that are part of it...

My god, you people are horrible. :D

You're actually FKing complaining about the game being FREE...

Jesus H Christ.....I feel sorry for your FKing waiters at restaurants, that is if any of you are allowed out of your basement to eat.

Whoah.

Someone didnt read that they arent selling p2w yet, and hopefully never will.

$15 a month for access to OPs, Unlimited Fps, Unlimited Wzs, Free Updates, "Travel Options", and Vanity Item tokens.

Seems fine to me.

Honestly, im getting sick of these people, they're raging over nothing. Not like the game will change massively, just a vanity item shop and more players. With alot more content updates.

you know, ever since champions online went f2p, despite the fact i haven't subbed to that game since 3 months prior to it going f2p, they still give me al lthe benefits of a subscriber, still have me listed as a subscriber, and give me the coins a subscriber gets.

unlimited powarr.

... This will bring a TON of new players to the galaxy and that will be a good thing....

So more competition for already over-crowded objectives, even more ninja looters, more childish behavior... those don't seem like good things to me.

I'm curious why making a F2P option spells the end of the world for SWTOR. Seriously, I would like to hear peoples legitimate concerns.

Note: Saying "insert game here went F2P and it sucked after that" isn't a legitimate concern.