Official F2P Announcement

Quinnt

It looks like they really are going to TRY and make this F2P with enough limitations that'll coerce people into subscribing.

Of course, a lot of what they have tried to do so far has stunk, that's why they are in this position today. :mad:

• Replies 792
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds great, hope it works out for everyone.

Current and former players will also find additional benefits as part of this program. BioWare will be increasing the frequency of game content updates, with the first of many new releases coming in August.

It sounds good "on paper," but I have yet to see it really work out as advertised.

Well, unless you count shinies added to their reward/real money shop as "content." If so, then you will see an increase in the frequency of game content.

Some information about new content in the FAQ:

"If the Free-to-Play option is not available until the fall, what are the benefits to buying the game now?

If you join The Old Republic now, you will start earning Cartel Coins for every month you are subscriber. In addition, in August we will be launching new content and plan to provide more frequent Game Updates going forward.

For more information on Cartel Coins and the rewards program visit: "

Anyway it worked out ok for Turbine and Lotro.

Ok is the right word.

I don't think the game progressed as well as it did with a subscription model (for the player) since it went F2P, although it may well have made Turbine more money.

Free is not free!! Wow...

What are the benefits of a subscription account?

In addition to unrestricted access to the full game and features there will be several benefits to the transitioning from a subscription to a Premium Level account, including:

Unlimited access to regular Game Updates such as new Nightmare Mode content, a brand new Operation on the planet of Asation, a new Heroic mission series on the prison planet of Belsavis, and a brand new Warzone for our PvP lovers.

Automatic monthly grant of Cartel Coins for use in our new Cartel Market. The Cartel Market will offer a variety of in-game items including cosmetically customizable gear and convenience features that will enhance the game play experience. Subscribers will receive Cartel Coin rewards for every past and ongoing month of subscription.

Subscribers will receive a special bonus “Fan Favorite” reward item, based on a Facebook poll. Vote now at http://www.facebook.com/starwarstheoldrepublic (voting ends August 15, 2012). You could receive one of these three great rewards:Rancor Holoreplica

Carbonite Hibernation Capsule

Party Jawa

The cheap crowed won't get much.. You will have to pay for game updates and stuff.. What did you expect free to mean?? Nevermind.. Don't answer that..

This might interest you F2P people!

No access to Ops.. Limited acces to chacacter creation choices.. Limited travel functionality.. Hmm.. No quick travel maybe?? Enjoy your F2P.. You asked for it!!

Edited by MajikMyst

I really wish they would give paying customers their own server so we dont have to deal with the dregs f2p games draw in, this games general chat is already one of the worse ive ever seen, i cant immagine what it will be like with f2p people all over it.

Tbh I don't see anything wrong with the F2P option.

Vanity items you pay for or sub for, limited access for F2Ps in all of the endgame areas, no pay to win. This will only bring new players in and its not like F2P isnt the way of the future. Economists have pretty much said they expect everything on the internet to end up F2P with premium features. As long as those premium features arent pay to win in videogames and Im cool with it.

Stay away from premium overpowered gear and we all win.

^ So I can play for free and all I'm missing out on is this? Toys in game? Really thinking about unsubbing, thought I was gonna stick with this from beginning to end, but who knows now.

http://www.swtor.com/free/features

You may want to check the table out. You will not be able to do OPS for Freemium and your warzones, flash points, and space missions will be limited. Also you will not have complete customization for your character.

I think the last major subscription MMO that went f2p was LOTRO, and they went F2P in about the same amount of time, IIRC.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with The Secret World - seems like they have the best bet at staying with a pure subscription-based model.

I really wish they would give paying customers their own server so we dont have to deal with the dregs f2p games draw in, this games general chat is already one of the worse ive ever seen, i cant immagine what it will be like with f2p people all over it.

^^

I approve of this message!!\

F2P people should have no access to forums too!!

People complaining about something being free baffles me.

It is intersesting isn't it.

More people coming in, more content in shorter intervalls. Peole who feel they can't aford a sub will play again.

Looks good!