The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Official F2P Announcement

Quinnt

This is really the end of the discussion.

Theories about how it will help the game, or cause content to appear more rapidly, or bring an influx of players, or whatever else you want to cook up are mostly as pointless as they are inaccurate.

The game isn't making the money they expected/wanted it to as a subscription service, this is a way for the game to make more money for EA, and that is the only reason it is being "provided" to us. Any benefits to the gamer will be unintended and accidental.

This is it, right here. The ROI is not there, and probably never was.(but the highest guy on the pole holding that secret is probably gone)

Contrary to statements in the media, IMO, this is not a case of F2P being the vehicle of more frequent, new content--something positive, rather it IS a case of F2P being the vehicle of breaking even--not so positive. An investment of this size breaking even is probably going away...because some one, or some few, are thoroughly disgusted. I wouldn't hold my breath on all that new content.

• Replies 791
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i simply dont trust EA to keep the cash shop only fluff items.

in time they will care more about people spending money and their recuring sub will not bring in more revanue per mounth compared to those that use the cash shop.

i dont see the game being able to make any new class storys even in a expanshion as the origional cost of the game was large and many beleive that was down to the VA, i think thats will be the first to go.

in the end ill stay as i still want to get all my characters to lvl 50 to experance the story but in the end bioware is gone indoctrnated into the reaper known as EA, and even shepard can not save it.

i simply dont trust EA to keep the cash shop only fluff items.

in time they will care more about people spending money and their recuring sub will not bring in more revanue per mounth compared to those that use the cash shop.

i dont see the game being able to make any new class storys even in a expanshion as the origional cost of the game was large and many beleive that was down to the VA, i think thats will be the first to go.

in the end ill stay as i still want to get all my characters to lvl 50 to experance the story but in the end bioware is gone indoctrnated into the reaper known as EA, and even shepard can not save it.

EA can't stick to just fluff items with a cash shop the temptation for them to attempt to make more money will be to great.

From my perspective as a LOTRO lifetime subscriber since release and extremely severe F2P doubter (borderline hater early on), I can honestly say that LOTRO F2P has been extremely successful. Content is great and in many ways has improved, server populations are very healthy, the game didn't get near as many WoW-rude folks as I feared, and fun, free-to-all content is still being added, such as the brand new Farmer's Faire going on now.

And I get to purchase tons of goodies that I always wanted and probably never would have had without F2P: Extra character slots (up to 17 currently), tons of extra vault storage (never have enough!), cool cosmetic outfits (LOTRO's cosmetic system trounces TOR's sort of system) and cosmetic outfit slots, extra legendary item slots, milestones, cooldown reductions, on and on.

Now, I'm not 100% thrilled with everything about F2P, but it certainly didn't turn out to be the Great Evil I thought it would be. In hindsight, I'm extremely happy that Turbine went in that direction. I think overall the game is better for it.

I was really hoping SWTOR would be the Next Big Thing as I extensively tested the game during closed beta. It wasn't and it isn't. It is bleeding subscribers (including myself and my wife after our current subs are done; our son quit months ago). I can guarantee you that we'll all be back under a F2P model IF they aren't overly restrictive. And I guarantee you that we'll be spending some amount of money to get things we really want.

You see, even though I have a lifetime sub in LOTRO and therefore never have to pay any sub fee ever again, since F2P, not only have I purchased each expansion with cash (altho I waited for Isengard to go on sale) as I would've under a sub-only model, I've also purchased 25K Turbine Points over the years for myself and another 15K for my wife. Those Turbine Point purchases equal cash money in Turbine's pocket, cash money they would never have received without F2P. And I'm one of their more stingy customers, always waiting for sales, etc.

If Bioware handles this right, they can actually increase revenues while increasing server populations. Time will tell, but I honestly think it's either a successful transition to F2P or limted to no content updates time (maybe even shut down). So for everyone reading this, if you want The Old Republic to be around for years and years to come, I'd suggest providing useful feedback as details are revealed and then welcoming Free Players when it's time.

From my perspective as a LOTRO lifetime subscriber since release and extremely severe F2P doubter (borderline hater early on), I can honestly say that LOTRO F2P has been extremely successful. Content is great and in many ways has improved, server populations are very healthy, the game didn't get near as many WoW-rude folks as I feared, and fun, free-to-all content is still being added, such as the brand new Farmer's Faire going on now.

And I get to purchase tons of goodies that I always wanted and probably never would have had without F2P: Extra character slots (up to 17 currently), tons of extra vault storage (never have enough!), cool cosmetic outfits (LOTRO's cosmetic system trounces TOR's sort of system) and cosmetic outfit slots, extra legendary item slots, milestones, cooldown reductions, on and on.

Now, I'm not 100% thrilled with everything about F2P, but it certainly didn't turn out to be the Great Evil I thought it would be. In hindsight, I'm extremely happy that Turbine went in that direction. I think overall the game is better for it.

I was really hoping SWTOR would be the Next Big Thing as I extensively tested the game during closed beta. It wasn't and it isn't. It is bleeding subscribers (including myself and my wife after our current subs are done; our son quit months ago). I can guarantee you that we'll all be back under a F2P model IF they aren't overly restrictive. And I guarantee you that we'll be spending some amount of money to get things we really want.

You see, even though I have a lifetime sub in LOTRO and therefore never have to pay any sub fee ever again, since F2P, not only have I purchased each expansion with cash (altho I waited for Isengard to go on sale) as I would've under a sub-only model, I've also purchased 25K Turbine Points over the years for myself and another 15K for my wife. Those Turbine Point purchases equal cash money in Turbine's pocket, cash money they would never have received without F2P. And I'm one of their more stingy customers, always waiting for sales, etc.

If Bioware handles this right, they can actually increase revenues while increasing server populations. Time will tell, but I honestly think it's either a successful transition to F2P or limted to no content updates time (maybe even shut down). So for everyone reading this, if you want The Old Republic to be around for years and years to come, I'd suggest providing useful feedback as details are revealed and then welcoming Free Players when it's time.

Amen brother. I fully support free to play and will provide all the feedback I can. Please include appearance items.

As a Lifetime Founder I would fully agree with this.

I am the opposite though, as I am not a lover of fluff or cosmetic items I spent little from my monthly free points, I saved up more than enough to get Isengard from my free points and should have easily enough to get Rohan for free as well.

I can just see it now... 1 to 50 is free to play. Everything at 50 requires a paid subscription, thus they haven't lied to us. You can do Warzones, Flashpoints, and Space Missions up to 50. At 50, you must have a Subscription to continue playing that character.

So there you are... doing your class story... and you ding 50 on Corellia, so you have to pay 15 bucks to finish the story.

Not really. You can still do the heroic dailies and get stuff for your alts and do one FP per week. And no, they allready said you can do all the story for each class and it is not like once you hit 50 you cannot logon that char. ;p

I simply don't trust EA to keep the cash shop only fluff items.

in time they will care more about people spending money and their recurring sub will not bring in more revenue per month compared to those that use the cash shop.

Fixed.

And I agree. Next up, will we have to pay for each patch?

There is no hope for someone who has drunk the KoolAid so deeply. The amount of money you spent of those things you listed along with the additional points totaled as much or more than your original lifetime purchase and are things that should be added to the game anyway. You know a while back WoW had an update where they reduced the cooldown timer on their hearthstone. Their players didn't have to pay extra for it. It was a general improvement to the game. You however were willing, and even happy sounding, to pay extra for the same thing in lotro. Same thing for bag/bank space.

It is amazing to me the effect words have on people. It reminds me of something I read once where guy selling sandwiches started adding a free coffee with it and increased the price of the sandwich to include the cost of the coffee. People didn't notice or care and a lot more people went to him cause they thought they were getting something for free.

There is no hope for someone who has drunk the KoolAid so deeply. The amount of money you spent of those things you listed along with the additional points totaled as much or more than your original lifetime purchase and are things that should be added to the game anyway. You know a while back WoW had an update where they reduced the cooldown timer on their hearthstone. Their players didn't have to pay extra for it. It was a general improvement to the game. You however were willing, and even happy sounding, to pay extra for the same thing in lotro. Same thing for bag/bank space.

It is amazing to me the effect words have on people. It reminds me of something I read once where guy selling sandwiches started adding a free coffee with it and increased the price of the sandwich to include the cost of the coffee. People didn't notice or care and a lot more people went to him cause they thought they were getting something for free.

/shrug Sounds somewhat like I was back then, although I certainly wouldn't have worded it the way you did.

Would I have preferred that LOTRO stayed sub-only? Absolutely! Especially since I'm a Lifetime Founder. But given the circumstances, economy, increase of "free" games, FB games, etc., I realize now that Turbine made the right decision. It's better to have a game that has a F2P option than no game at all.

Also, I've done the math. Added up everything I've spent on LOTRO over 5+ years, specific TP packages when on sale, etc. I'm already nearly halfway to that figure in SWTOR after only 7 months! And for what? A broke game that I've been paying to beta test for months now (and frankly, I'm a bit tired of that).

And since you brought up WoW, aren't they only now, with Panderia, finally going from 10 character slots to 11? I remember having 10 slots way back when I played WoW for a couple of years (since vanilla launch). Still only 10 slots? After nearly 8 years? Yep, that monthly sub really pays for expanding those game features.

You know what? I admit I like having the option of purchasing additional character slots years earlier rather than to have to wait all those years... for a single added slot... when the developer deigns to grant me my request. I can have up to 17 slots in LOTRO right now. And believe me, I can earn way more Turbine Points with a single low level character in less than a week than it costs to add that character slot to the account (yes, it's account wide therefore I get that extra slot on all servers). Net TP gain with zero dollars expended if I want. I just choose to pay $ (when deeply discounted) since I have the money. Even then, LOTRO still hasn't cost me anywhere near $15/month even when adding in the various expansions. Less than half that actually.

But believe what you will. If enough players here provide appropriate feedback (and trust me on this, I am quite forceful when Turbine tries certain things with their store, and they actually do listen, sometimes; can the same be said here?) then F2P will be successful and SWTOR will have nice updates in a respectable timeframe for the next decade or so. Keep hollerin' it's the end of the world, and it will become a self-fulfilling prophesy because those on the fence won't stick around to see the transition through.

In all seriousness... in a couple months this game is simply going to be an online single player PvE game. Anyone who pays 15 dollars a month to do a couple raids a week and PvP more than what you are allotted for free is a sucker.

This^

All depends on what you want out of the game. I subbed to LOTRO for a long time and canceled before it went FTP. I still play it on occasion and my level 64 Burgler has access to all he had before I canceled. And I have not spent a red cent on anything in the game. I use the tokens I do get and pay for stuff that way. Then again I donot play MMO's so as to get on a ego trip to show off how much better I am than others...so the FTP model works fine for me.

Edited by Valkirus

guess us " haters" were right :rolleyes:

In all fairness, as someone who stood by the gam, defended it etc., I need to say yes you are right. You and all the SWG this is on rails why can't I spend hours on my speeder just riding in one direction etc. Have won.

People keep talking about how awesome DDO and LOTRO F2P is ... I've played both of those games when they launched and then again recently ... DDO is still as boring as ever, and doesn't seem to have had 1 graphics upgrade since it launched. LOTRO is a good game, but it is buried by the constant references to the store everywhere in game, and in fact I recall getting quests in game to open the store and buy stuff with tokens provided by the quest, as a way to get me to look at the store.

F2P I'm sure will be appealing for some but get ready for endless ads and marketing attempts to drive you to the store. Constantly.

I find it funny. Paid subs get cartel coins monthly. Yet it mentions paid has full access to the game. Not sure how that is full access if I've got to wait for something an not acquire it threw other means in the game in which paid subs get full access to.

Now I understand why this game is still bugged. Why the game doesn't get hot fixes to correct issues an so on. They put the effort into this f2p in hopes to acquire more people. Will that happen? Maybe. Will subs be lost? Good chance.

BW you certainly do not know how to manage things well. Fix what is currently out now an move on from that point.

Sad note: mist of pandora's door had just opened up more from this news. I would hate to see be screw this game up. But as it looks now it certainly seems that way. Time will tell the tail.

People keep talking about how awesome DDO and LOTRO F2P is ... I've played both of those games when they launched and then again recently ... DDO is still as boring as ever, and doesn't seem to have had 1 graphics upgrade since it launched. LOTRO is a good game, but it is buried by the constant references to the store everywhere in game, and in fact I recall getting quests in game to open the store and buy stuff with tokens provided by the quest, as a way to get me to look at the store.

F2P I'm sure will be appealing for some but get ready for endless ads and marketing attempts to drive you to the store. Constantly.

Never played DDO. Didn't think it'd appeal to me. Not everyone likes every game.

That stuff with the store will happen and I agree it can be annoying. Since I'm not a LOTRO F2P player, I'd rather not see any of it anywhere, but like many annoying things in life, I accept that's the way it is. Kind of like all those commercials I always skip through on my DVR. Maybe when I get to make my own game someday...

Not to say I don't give appropriate negative feedback when required. A recent addition to LOTRO, cosmetic outfit dummies (apparently a player suggestion) are really just in game advertisements for stuff that is sold in the store. These dummies resulted in a good amount of negative feedback from the playerbase. Based on the constructive negative feedback, the dummies are going to be removed from some locations and de-emphasized in locations they remain at. Players spoke, Turbine listened.

My point is, it's an ongoing process. It's the price of having a game you enjoy sticking around. Based on the rate SWTOR is shedding subs, F2P was likely inevitable and is likely the right long-term decision. I certainly wouldn't have said that before LOTRO went F2P, but this isn't 2004 or even 2010.

As I said before, sometimes F2p does work well. DCUO thrived because of it. Revenue there went up more than 500 percent (literally) but more importantly, Metropolis was full of people. City Of Heroes also did well.

The problem comes in when EA wastes so much money that 500,000 subscribers in the first year is considered a failure. Where it is so greedy it fires half the staff after the box starts to ship, despite the fact that has been shown to be a disaster.

And no, I will not excuse BW, but honestly, if people critiqued WoW with half the vigor they do anything not WoW, Blizzard would be in flames, but people let the fanboys loose on the forums. These are the same guys who will have to confess that they are playing a bad version of Kung Fu Panda. And WoW will make money because they will be under NO PRESSURE to make a better product, no new engine, no new graphics, nada.

I wanted this game to be what it should have been. It still is better than WoW, but EA screwed the pooch royally. I really fear that this game will be the last of it's kind, the last attempt to make a truly epic game. If you guys want WoW to be the standard of gaming, go right on ahead and whine on the forums.

However, in the next game, I will look to see if the company eschews facebook and twitter. Those two media sources are very easy to manipulate, especially by fanboys and corporate stooges. Build your community from within, and make it so that the voices that get listened to are NOT the casual types.

In the meantime, I won't be seeing anyone on Guild Wars, if i wanted that, I would be on NCsoft's superior game, City of Heroes.

After carefully consideration and overal experience that I get of entertainment from the game. I will be keeping my subscription. I may not be on the jump ship bandwagon if I was at all. But I love this game. It's fun, also I Realy enjoy the extra perks. At least if I plan to subscribe to anything video game or magazine if I can have the extra bling just to stay loyal. I'll welcome it for sure! Ya never know the whole process could add more enjoyment to a hobby I love. :)