Official F2P Announcement

Quinnt

That might be the dealbreaker for me. If those 150 coins a month aren't enough for the stuff I'll want/need I'm gone.

I imagine they will have a similar purchasing power to the free 500 points lifetime and subscribers get in Lotro, i.e. next to nothing.

Edited by AidenCast

• Replies 792
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The whole Genre is going F2P. The only ones who can get away with pure subscription is those who have established members who will pay to keep what they have accomplished. I'm glad that they went the way of player choice. I can see the viability of paying for the sub and for the F2P model (as long as they stay away from the P2W model, thats Pay 2 Win for those who don't know.). All in all it's only going to help the game.

Hahaha.

@Bioware: We told ya. You didn't listen. This is what happens when you ignore the fanbase. You've become a fallen angel, going from masterpieces like BG2 to this... how does it feel at your personal all time low? Time to get back to the roots, buddies.

@Every other gaming company: Make a deal with EA, and you die. I hope you're taking notes, this is the prime example.

Peace, I'm out. Have been for 5 months, actually. Just had to get back to say this. Sorry to all the players that still play here, don't take this personally. ;)

Apparently they DID listen to their fanbase. 40% of the people who cancelled wanted F2P.

What an absolute disaster.

F2p games all follow the same formula; Start off with fluff items to whet the appetite and then gradually work in more and more items that give you advantages over players who decide to opt of of the store. I've seen lotro mentioned a few times in this thread and it is a perfect example of what you can expect to happen here. Mechanics removed from the game and added to the store as a "convenience", Certain items like potions that are far better than anything you can acquire in the game and can only be bought from the store, pvp players that can bypass months worth of grinding gear or abilities by simply buying them, and so on and so forth. lotro even has added in game advertisements to their store in the form of clothing dummies that sparkle. When you click on one it opens the store page in your UI. They release updates without proper testing that are full of bugs and glitches and have not fixed the majority of them

Lastly, f2p as a whole is terrible for the MMO genre. It changes the entire design goals of the game. Rather than focusing on things that will keep players interested (and subscribed) for the long term, the goal of f2p games is to get as many people to spend in the store as possible in the shortest amount of time. It is a model that doesn't rely on retaining player, rather it relies on player churn. Getting a player to try the game out for a month and drop two or three months worth of subscription money in the store before they get bored and quit. It might look good for the bottom line for some investor who is looking at the short term but the quality and content of the game Always suffers in the end from it.

So yeah, what a disaster. I'll be canceling my account when this is close to happening. Good luck to those who stick around.

I am just wondering how the Cash shop will work. The point of a cash shop is we spend more money buying stuff in there than we do on the subs, but thats fine cuz we are playing the game for free and the new outfit I bought is mine and at least I got to choose it. However for this to work there has to be enough stuff in a cash shop to make it worth while. If its like a few outfits and a couple of pets its not going to make any cash.

That's the point. It won't. Vanity items in a cash shop alone can't make up for the loss in subs that they'll get for the F2P announcement. At some point, probably sooner than later, you'll start seeing crap like new tier 4 mounts that you can't get w/o paying, new lightsabers that do double damage, and special uber-armor that has both pvp and pve aspects on it, just like STO did with their +1 ships.

Edited by JefferyClark

What an absolute disaster.

Mechanics removed from the game and added to the store as a "convenience", Certain items like potions that are far better than anything you can acquire in the game and can only be bought from the store, pvp players that can bypass months worth of grinding gear or abilities by simply buying them, and so on and so forth.

I expect we'll see the P2W items like the stat scrolls from Lotro that you can buy from the store but "hey it's OK they drop in game as well", albeit at a drop rate so insanely low that people I know were grinding instances for hours on end every day and maybe saw one if they were lucky (that then had to be rolled on by the entire group).

Edited by AidenCast

I'm having a blast playing Operations with my husband and our guild. When playing solo I keep lvl:ing alts to see different stories in the game. Since I always support the things I enjoy, buy the books from writers I like, I happily keep my subscription going ;)

Free to Play Races: Gungan

And they said that you would be able to play 1-50 and experience the class stories... but they never said you would have sound. Free to Play has No Access to Sound or Subtitles in the game.

Free to Play Races: Gungan

And they said that you would be able to play 1-50 and experience the class stories... but they never said you would have sound. Free to Play has No Access to Sound or Subtitles in the game.

Yeah! Also you can move only backwards, and use only regualr attacks. Every use of skill costs 50 cent.

so many howler monkeys!

There is only one rule you need to apply here for good decision making: If you are enjoying the game keep playing, if you are not enjoying the game, quit and move on to something else. That is it.

Pretty much this, but the angry kiddies and trolls will continue to troll and cry just because its the cool thing to do.