Official F2P Announcement

Quinnt

• Replies 792
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's a really good idea.

It's been obvious for a while that the subscription model alone doesn't work - there are too many games out there now, tablet and mobile games now, also. And it's a recession in many countries. People are watching their wallets.

WoW was very much a one off in this regard and even they have F2P options now. I'd be surprised if they didn't offer something similar to this before the end of their forthcoming Xpac.

All power to you BW - I hope that it works out. I think that this mixed model is definitely the way to go.

That simply is not possible. BioWare no longer exist. It is simply a name EA bought up & fleeced their customers using a trusted name. Now that we know better they'll completely absorb the 'BioWare' name & look at buying out another name/franchise & milk that til their customers realise they've been fleeced too.

EA have only one priority, 'MAKE MONEY'

We, the 'Customer', are merely a means to reach that end.

While not necessarily true, frighteningly realistic, nonetheless. EA buys a company with it's reputation, milks its client base with degrading quality products which sell mainly on the virtue of the reputation built by the company back when it didn't belong to EA yet and shoves it on a shelf of bled-out, mediocre development teams, which lost most of their talented employees.

"Since launch, we’ve been listening to feedback from our fans and adding new content and refining The Old Republic at a breakneck pace."

Personally think this is a lie. Almost everyone I've talked to says they do NOT want F2P. I'm not saying it's like that for everyone, but it seems the majority of fans did not want that.

yeah you know where that came from, them listening to the facebook crowd, all i used to see before i got fed up of seeing the we want F2P model

That simply is not possible. BioWare no longer exist. It is simply a name EA bought up & fleeced their customers using a trusted name. Now that we know better they'll completely absorb the 'BioWare' name & look at buying out another name/franchise & milk that til their customers realise they've been fleeced too.

EA have only one priority, 'MAKE MONEY'

We, the 'Customer', are merely a means to reach that end.

Nothing wrong with making money. This is America after all.

Smart business is making sure its customers are thrilled to give it their money. People can see through a soulless cash grab. Evidence: EA's reputation. If EA treated its customers more like Southwest than American Airlines, there wouldn't be a problem. EA would be making gobs of money and people would love them.

Edited by tzipidamus

And so it was announced :eek: I hoped that this would not happen but... well...

I will keep my subscription for now as I really enjoy the game and want to stay till the end, but I am still afraid that going F2P will make the community and other things even worse than it already is.

What will become of the story and companions? Will we see the continuation of the story and companion dialogue/romances in a timely manner? Once a year for one chapter?

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK!

Nothing wrong with making money. This is America after all.

Smart business is making sure its customers are thrilled to give it their money. People can see through a soulless cash grab. Evidence: EA's reputation. If EA treated its customers more like Southwest than American Airlines, there wouldn't be a problem. EA would be making gobs of money and people would love them.

Seriously. If they announced cash shop with all the playable species people have been requesting, any saber color you want, ability to make any armor customizable and adaptable, account wide legacy perks people would not be upset about this. They are NOT giving the customer what they want. Never in game or on the forums have I ever seen the #1 request for the game to be money lizard pets and dancing jawas. That kind of meaningless garbage money grab vanity cash shop is insulting to the people that actually like the game and the gameplay.

Now they might as well just call this clone wars adventures 2.

Our game will be there for 30 years they said...

Yeah right, i was loyal customer bought the game and subscribed since the begining... and EA fks me in the a ss. Thanks a lot. You can stuff yourself with those credits i cant even sell -.-

I feel the same... they didn't even use lube.

So the anonymous poster on one of the game forums a while back who said he worked for BioWare and wanted us to know they were working on a FTP model and then was bashed on the forums as being a troll because his spelling and grama was not very good...was correct afterall. :p I find it amusing ...very amusing. :)

But on the topic, I have no bad feelings about this anouncement and certainly am not surprised. I felt it would not come this soon however. But the lack of communication from BioWare sure gave the players the feeling something big was going to happen. No matter, I do understand why they have done this and I never have felt I got my subs worth from the game anyhow, but atleast now I will have 900 cartel points bullt up with the 6 month sub I did do. :)

Edited by Valkirus

So the anonymous poster on one of the game forums a while back who said he worked for BioWare and wanted us to know they were working on a FTP model and then was bashed on the forums as being a troll because his spelling and grama was not very good...was correct afterall. :p I find it amusing ...very amusing. :)

But on the topic, I have no bad feelings about this anouncement and certainly am not surprised. I felt it would not come this soon however. But the lack of communication from BioWare sure gave the players the feeling something big was going to happen. No matter, I do understand why they have done this and I never have felt I got my subs worth from the game anyhow, but atleast now I will have 900 cartel points bullt up with the 6 month sub I did do. :)

Only difference is the so called "anonymous employee" said legacy would be used to purchase and unlock things to play, so I'm still calling BS on that so called employee.

I saw F2P coming with how many people kept screaming about how it was needed to be F2P to save it, well here we are folks, and I bet these same folks saying it needed to be F2P are now screaming about it going F2p cuz its a "betrayal:rolleyes:"

When it says limited access to warzones and flashpoints, besides X no per week,

are you planning to limit the types you are allowed to enter, and how strict a policy?

EG. no HMs, no Ranked Warzones? or no 50s normal FP, no 50s bracket WZs?

Whilst i dont care as i will still be able to sub and it wont cost me more to play under this model i do wonder if bw actually understand what they have done.

I think this has been planned for longer than some of us thought. They lost a lot of subs in a very short time. But yeah, as a sub payer, you should not see any difference. If overall it makes them more money, then it will a good move for them.

Only difference is the so called "anonymous employee" said legacy would be used to purchase and unlock things to play, so I'm still calling BS on that so called employee.

I saw F2P coming with how many people kept screaming about how it was needed to be F2P to save it, well here we are folks, and I bet these same folks saying it needed to be F2P are now screaming about it going F2p cuz its a "betrayal:rolleyes:"

Maybe at the time he made his post, they were considering using lagacy as part of the FTP? But he was still correct in the fact they were working on a FTP model apart from the free trial. I felt those saying his gramma and spelling/english was not good and therefor he had to be a troll was wrong. You cannot judge people by that if they donot have a public relations job. :cool:

I'll play till the game's not fun and pay till the money's not worth it.

However, I'm more than slightly irritated that instead of pushing out content on a monthly basis as was originally promised they've spent God knows how much time and money building this f2p system. Maybe, just maybe, if that regular content push had actually come we wouldn't have come to this point so quickly (if at all). So now we see another promise for regular content updates...I'm willing to give them a shot but at this point I'm defintely on a wait and see basis.

If I get a full game with a subscription, including new species, new companions, etc etc, without having to pay extra AND if what I get for a subscription is worthwhile in comparison to the f2p crap then we're cool. If not...well, I'm hardly a loyalist when it comes to games. They get my money when I get my fun.

Maybe at the time he made his post, they were considering using lagacy as part of the FTP? But he was still correct in the fact they were working on a FTP model apart from the free trial. I felt those saying his gramma and spelling/english was not good and therefor he had to be a troll was wrong. You cannot judge people by that if they donot have a public relations job. :cool:

Maybe, but I'm still not trusting an "anonymous employee" posting, but that's merely me.

Know I responded to it and said I'd still play even if the game went F2P, and welp, plans still haven't changed.

These "Bioware" people should really be embarassed about this. They couldn't keep the #1 IP in the world from going free to play.

They were warned 8 months before release in closed beta, and they had time to make adjustments before launch. Instead, they went backwards from the earlier product, which was much better in many areas.

It's pretty sad the handful of us in testing knew more about what was, and wasn't going to work better than the so-called pros.

... & the announcement of Free-to-Play not even 8 months from launch!

Surely that HAS to be a Record for a 'Triple AAA' mmo. As someone else stated, even Star Trek Online lasted longer! :eek:

and TOR still has three time or more the player base STO did at release... the F2P change has nothing to do with a game "failing" it has a much larger playerbase than it needs to be profitable... it's just the new market trend that has been making all the money

they would be foolish to not take advantage of the most profitable payment system... which isn't P2P and hasn't been for some time

Edited by Liquidacid

and TOR still has three time or more the player base STO did at release... the F2P change has nothing to do with a game "failing" it has a much larger playerbase than it needs to be profitable... it's just the new market trend that has been making all the money

they would be foolish to not take advantage of the most profitable payment system... which isn't P2P and hasn't been for some time

Profitable for them doesn't equal better for us. Get ready to have all aspects of gameplay monetized because that is whats coming.

many people claim you have to pay for much of the content in lotro ... this is far from the truth .. you can EARN tp (turbine points) as a f2p account and use those EARNED points the same way as points people paid for and there are quite a few gimmicks to earn alot of points and get the stuff for FREE FREE bank space .. auction house slots cosmetic slots more character slots .. i did it long before i dropped a dime into the game and only paid anything cause one of the big quest packs went on sale and i was short a few hundred points ... spending that tiny bit of money got me even more perks + points and i still never went VIP account

i don't know whether this is the way bioware plans on implementing the coins .. but i for one hope not

pay for the perks you want or get out

But suppose you failed to notice that every bit of content released was a carbon copy of the last area, to earn TP at any decent level you had to grind endless rep and deeds, the store eventually went more or less P2W as stat items were sold that more or less were a must in End Game, and that everything to do with legendary weapons had some sort of boosts on the store which basically became a must to buy as no way could you do it via ingame options. End of the day if you played LOTRO at any respectable level and did anything decent at end game you payed way over what a normal sub would cost.

If you didnt, you simply lar de dared around 21st hall or Isengard grinding deeds and rep.

F2P destroyed LOTRO, it has a great sub base, and was an awesome game up until Mirkwood and F2P being released.

I absolutely guarantee Legacy will be a focal point of Cartel Points, And sooner rather than later stat based items and boosts will appear in there at a ridiculous cost, Example: 1000 cartel for $5 but stat items will cost 1000 Tokens......Add in other things that become must haves and you will soon be paying way over what a sub costs just to compete at high level.....

Mark this post, because in 2-3 months il simple quote it as TOLD YOU SO.

This game will never be FREE TO PLAY with EA calling the shots. They are simply finding a way to milk the money out of there customers to recoup any lost profits they have incurred. And if you do not think that is the case, you are extremely nieve. In fact i would not be surprised if EA have already canned the license.

Edited by Nippon