Official F2P Announcement

Quinnt

if the people who designed and coded Ilum knew how to do those things, it wouldn't have been the disaster it was, and wouldn't have gotten shut down.

You think those on the forum can do better? For God's sake, most of them can't even assemble a coherent sentence.

Please, you assume an awful lot. With the way things have gone, you would think they grabbed some bum off the street to come up with ideas for the game.

and yet here you still are.. GG

Edited by Liquidacid

• Replies 792
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeff Hickman, Executive Producer of Star Wars: The Old Republic added, “Since launch, we’ve been listening to feedback from our fans and adding new content and refining The Old Republic at a breakneck pace. We believe we are in a position to help improve the service even more, not only by continuing to add new content, but also by expanding the game to many more Star Wars fans, increasing the populations on worlds and the vibrancy of the community.”

If you listened to your fans you wouldn't be so delusional as to believe a F2P model is going to fix anything.

I find the content rate no where near "breakneck pace" and I don't think it's going to get any better thanks to EA and the poor Austin staff that has been let go/decided to leave left and right.

I was going to log in to do a few rounds of PvP but seeing as no one left working on this game has any clue whats going on or what the fans actually want and enjoy... I'll be cancelling now. Good bye.

No you can't haz my stuff, it's mine and I'll let it rot where it is.

Good riddance.

I'd rather see the item store based off Funcom's Age of Conan item store, in which the only things you buy really are social items to make you look better, potions that help make progression faster, and expansion packs. Its all fluff and nothing that makes you piles better then everyone else.

Oh and please, whatever you do, don't base the item store in game using Origin!

So just so I'm clear on this Bioware what your making F2P is the single player bits but if I want to play an MMO I have to pay for the game, how does this help this game be an MMO?

You do relaise a critical mass of players are needed to keep the endgame viable and the end game is the only thing remotely close to being massive about this game if you Lock-ot F2P players from OPs and limit warzones and flashpoint acess you just compond the problems this game has with grouping

Why don't you just repack swtor as Kotor 3 and call it a day.

I'd rather see the item store based off Funcom's Age of Conan item store, in which the only things you buy really are social items to make you look better, potions that help make progression faster, and expansion packs. Its all fluff and nothing that makes you piles better then everyone else.

Oh and please, whatever you do, don't base the item store in game using Origin!

Unless I mis read something, that's all the TOR item shop is.

I can just see it now... 1 to 50 is free to play. Everything at 50 requires a paid subscription, thus they haven't lied to us. You can do Warzones, Flashpoints, and Space Missions up to 50. At 50, you must have a Subscription to continue playing that character.

So there you are... doing your class story... and you ding 50 on Corellia, so you have to pay 15 bucks to finish the story.

Unless I mis read something, that's all the TOR item shop is.

They have not said what is in the store except for a pet, a throne (dont know where you put it) and something else. So we cannot really say yet what will or will not be in the store.

Really!

You really think the players actually can code!!! get a clue..

its about what the zone has, objectives etc. READ THE FORUMS FFS. there have been several posts from people about what is needed but falls on deaf ears.

Learn to read!

Hmm, as a software architect I am pretty sure i can code (or else I am extremely overpaid). That said, my thought here is they did big requirements up front instead of Agile and now they are paying the price for not getting rapid feedback. What's the point of beta if your not going to implement the feedback you got.

if the people who designed and coded Ilum knew how to do those things, we'd still have an open world pvp venue

If every inventive person quit after a few failures, most of the inventions we know and appreciate today wouldn't exist. They took a stab at a good world PVP system, and missed the mark. They admitted this. They assigned a team to tackle the situation, and have begun reworking a new strategy.

Nothing wrong with that, unless you don't understand that the path to true success is not instantly hitting home runs all the time. Sometimes... it takes work, and the mentality to push through failure and continue along the path toward success.

Edited by Kubernetic

Good riddance.

Yeah if only someone could have warned me that this train wreck would be happening back in December... I wouldn't have even bothered to buy a new computer to play this game and then have a d-bag say good riddance to me when I finally give up all hopes and accept this game is going so much farther down than I could have ever imagined.

I'm not happy by an means that I've cancelled, but thanks for your kind words... keep them rose colored glasses on and enjoy buying your cartel coins.

Yeah if only someone could have warned me that this train wreck would be happening back in December... I wouldn't have even bothered to buy a new computer to play this game and then have a d-bag say good riddance to me when I finally give up all hopes and accept this game is going so much farther down than I could have ever imagined.

I'm not happy by an means that I've cancelled, but thanks for your kind words... keep them rose colored glasses on and enjoy buying your cartel coins.

Good luck in your future endeavors. I'm sorry things didn't work out as you hoped.

Now then... off to more warzones!

I have one thing to say. Boo F2P. Its the worst thing ever created for Players and the best thing ever created for game companies wallets.

This is really the end of the discussion.

Theories about how it will help the game, or cause content to appear more rapidly, or bring an influx of players, or whatever else you want to cook up are mostly as pointless as they are inaccurate.

The game isn't making the money they expected/wanted it to as a subscription service, this is a way for the game to make more money for EA, and that is the only reason it is being "provided" to us. Any benefits to the gamer will be unintended and accidental.

They have not said what is in the store except for a pet, a throne (dont know where you put it) and something else. So we cannot really say yet what will or will not be in the store.

They mentioned customizable gear and convenience items as well, according to the FAQ.

Good luck in your future endeavors. I'm sorry things didn't work out as you hoped.

Now then... off to more warzones!

Thanks and good luck to you as well.... if you happen to play on DPB you Sir can haz my stuff.

I too bought a new PC for this game, and here I am still playing it after being a beta tester and playing through head start. I won't lie and say this game doesn't have glaring faults, but the mentality of this community, like so many others, seems entirely too entitled. Bioware gave us exactly what they said they would, a story-driven MMO. Now they're trying to change it up and give the players what they want and it isn't going so well.

EA is a terrible gaming company and I know Bioware is also to blame for some of it, but the sky isn't falling and this game is still here and moving forward. If you feel all hope is gone, then by all means click that X in the top right and be done with it.

Good day, and sorry for being a douche bag.

Now they're trying to change it up and give the players what they want and it isn't going so well.

Yes. Because all of us have been asking to pay extra bills on top of our monthly fee for total access to this game and it's limited content.

No. No we haven't.

I'm sorry, but I disagree and believe they aren't trying to do anything but milk this game for any potential dollars it is still worth. I do not believe they are trying to give anyone what they want.

Edited by Celebrus

Having pre-ordered this game, I was very excited when it came out and was doing so well. Analysts claimed 4 million subscribers by the end of 2012 and I was pleased. Except I stopped playing in February. And so did everyone else.

I logged on to see how my free transfer to the Australian servers was going, and noticed no more than twenty people online, so I logged off. I logged in two weeks ago, and there were eleven. It was a Friday night.

I still kept subscribing, because, silly person that I am, I felt that if they engaged the playerbase over time, the playerbase would start to grow again and it would be an MMO worth investing in. I love this game, and I wanted it to do well.

Will F2P fix all the problems with the game? No, I don't believe so. I think they've cut their own throats with this one, and the negativity that surrounded the game didn't help.

I don't see this doing well, and I don't see myself being around by year's end. I may give it a bit more time to fully understand the ramifications, but frankly, if I don't get a transfer or if my servers don't pick up, I'm done anyway.

Yes. Because all of us have been asking to pay extra bills on top of our monthly fee for total access to this game and it's limited content.

No. No we haven't.

I'm sorry, but I disagree and believe they aren't trying to do anything but milk this game for any potential dollars it is still worth. I do not believe they are trying to give anyone what they want.

You'll be finding out within the coming months.