Star Wars: The Old Republic Friends Trial Reward

Regarding the when you get the speeder the FAQ says the following:

"You will become eligible for the speeder when at least one of the friends you have referred upgrades to a full account, becomes an active subscriber (pays for a recurring monthly subscription or redeems a Pre-Paid Game Time Code), and
passes their 30 days of play time included with the purchase of the Game. Within 72 hours, you will then receive an in-game message with the Kurtob Alliance Speeder in your in-game mail
."

Also, they can play for free until level 15 now. The friend reward won't kick in until 30 days after they buy the game and have either subbed or redeemed a Game Code.

I was thinking of inviting my nephew & bro-in-law and with the free trial, they wouldn't have to shell out anything if they find they don't like it or don't have the time. But they'd only be playing until the end of August - at least my nephew's already pre-ordered GW2.

On a separate note - boy are the fleets gonna be a mess with these things flying around! :eek:

I don't know about all this wait time to get the speeder as I've already seen players with this speeder yesterday, and the whole thing was first printed yesterday itself.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone subscribed at the right date got the pet for 1.2 and upcoming 1.3 pet can get them. No veteran status required. Counting server transfers is ridiculous for obvious reasons. Also I believe you needn't have been here since day 1 to get the founder title, that was a "by certain date" as well. The free month they were railed so hard for they ended up caving and giving to everyone. It was originally a Legacy level thing IIRC.

Akin to what Lore posted, and what Galaxies did with them, Vet rewards would be preferred. Choose X item after Y amount of months to show how long you've been playing.

This would be great! Too bad TOR doesn't try to have some sort of Vet System. Makes me sad...in TOR you only have a "Hey look I have something from this first timerange like everyone else!" Hell why not have a different colored speeder for people who have been subbed for X days/months? More the pity as well to see that the person I referred must not have stayed..could of sworn he told me awhile ago he played for a month or so then left. :( Oh well...here's to hoping some of us actually find someone who wants to be referred.

Edited by Eillack

so the CE edition speeder is even crappier then this and we spent 150$?

nice...epic win

Actually you get that speeder with the digital deluxe edition. So for the $150 you got a mouse droid, CE store in game and some physical items like the soundtrack and Darth Malgus statue.

And thus begins the story of how I started multiple accounts on yet another MMO just to get the shinies.

The game's on sale for $20 at Amazon so it'll just cost me $35 to own it.

Personally, I'd be willing to just pay the $35 to BioWare and get the thing if I could avoid the hassle of dealing with a second account since all my friends either already play or refuse to play.

This. Please just sell it.

So there are 110% speeders for lvl 25 out there?

There's one. And we're talking about it. AND it has high resistance.That's why it's valuable, otherwise it would just be a normal, different looking speeder.

I was just answering the guy who said this was not an interoduction to the cash shop since the only thing this speeder had different from others that you can get in-game was the looks and I was asking him where has he seen 110% speeders at lvl 25 in-game (other than this one, obviously ^_^)

I really REALLY hope they don't change that speeder 1 requirement for this cause this is so worth the 60$ drop for a copy+time card off amazon with hopes my roommate will use and play it... It is saving me 3,860,000 credits between all 8 of my characters for speeders and training to get 110% speed. Awesome promo Bioware! I'm sold!

As much as I like refer a friend reward I have to say this is really a bad move. I personally bought the Collector's Edition and bioware continues to put things out that make the CE items completely obsolete. Not to mention refer a friend get a speeder that is max speed at 25 (10 with legacy perks) and avoid speeder 2-3 training but you gotta get your friend to drop $40-50 for the game and at least pay 1 month sub. Guess that makes the Longspur STAP gotten in the CE worthless and useless since it is stuck at 90% speed, just like the newer mini pets like the "return to SWTOR tauntaun" and other cooler looking minipets make CE owners ashamed to have their CE minimech out for display. What's left for CE owners? the horrible Merchant that sells non-impressive trooper armor (even more non-impressive republic side) for like 60k+ credits.

Way to go Bioware. Keep putting out promos like this and alienate people from your game and I am sure that its not just CE owners that are fuming

What's left for CE owners? the horrible Merchant that sells non-impressive trooper armor (even more non-impressive republic side) for like 60k+ credits.

Way to go Bioware. Keep putting out promos like this and alienate people from your game and I am sure that its not just CE owners that are fuming

You got collectibles like that statue or those art books.

You got collectibles like that statue or those art books.

I'd say many of the CE owners were probably among the most zealous promoters of the game from the start. We were the ones making suggestions in beta, putting up with all the bugs that were in the game at first, putting up with the unbalanced and awkward crew skills, dealing with and reporting the warzone cheaters; and yet loyally paying month to month while hundreds of people complained over the game and left in droves after the first month.

It's hard to prove what we did, but I'd say many of us can point to several other players and say: I got him or her into this game. Or: I got him or her to join this. Perhaps we can say: "That person remained a subscriber because we helped him and gave him a sense of community in an empty server" Or: "We did Esseles/Black Talon with that noob so that they would feel welcome and stay." But what are the rewards of being here from the start? A founder title? As much as I appreciate the founder title, I don't use it on any of my characters, because the titles that come with the character are better in my opinion.

Yet now there are absolute newbies that came into the game 4 months into it after half the stuff had been fixed, sent an email to a friend so that they would buy the game on amazon for a 1/7 of the price that I got it for and a 1/4 of the price my friends got it for, and they get an item that is more useful than all of the items available to CE combined.

Bioware didn't want to give an unfair advantage to people just because they could afford CE, and I respect that. And I am not saying I want people who are inviting friends and helping this game survive to be penalized and have their speeders nerfed, either. What I AM saying is that giving people these speeders just because they can afford to buy a second account or got lucky with a friend that's willing to pay for the game, is giving them an unfair advantage! And if you're going to give out unfair advantages, it should start with those that gave the most for the longest amount of time, and then pan out from there.

Allow the longspur STAP to be upgradeable for a moderate credit fee and have great resistance to being knocked off, or give out an item that is equally useful to this speeder to your veterans.

Edited by Wisdom

I would be a ****** friend if I tried to lure a friend into paying for a dying mmorpg.

Also what good is this when you can no longer create characters on backwater servers. I yet have to switch, so any subbing friend would not be able to play on my server.

Edited by HammersteinSW

I think that it is pretty shady that bioware puts up false advertisements and misleading statements to get more players in the game. on my client when i log in it says"Earn an exclusive speeder" then it says "learn how to receive a new speeder by inviting friends to a FREE* trial. which is not the case if you look into it. you have to wait to see if that friend actually decides they want to pay to play and if they do not want to play the game we do not receive our speeder.

Now I understand that this is a marketing tool to get more subscriptions and reward us, the players for doing your advertising for you. I have no problem with that. I do have a problem with the fact that you lie to us to get us to do this by telling us a flat out lie. when i looked into the exclusive speeder offer it says that the person you invite has to play the trial and then sign up for a subscription or buy a time card. This is not what is advertised on the game client. If you were to say get your friends to subscribe and we will give you this speeder. that would be a true statement. Upon further review of the rules of your offer it also says that we only receive the speeder as long as the invited person is actively paying to play and that you may repo the speeder at any time? *** seriously bioware. So please next time you make a offer like this please don't lie to us the gamers tell us the truth on how to get the special item and we will still try and get it im sure.

Yeah.

I don't write in MMO forums, mainly because of past bad experiences. However, I really feel I have to say something here. As a bit of backstory, I've only played one other MMO long term (8 years running now). I bought the CE version of the game, mostly because I'm a big SW fan (old movies only; don't talk to me about Eps 1-3 PLEASE). My wife and I both have accounts. I play a few times a week -- once a week my wife and I team up with friends from out of state, and a few times a week the two of us run a different set of characters together. I don't have a level 50 character here yet; as of right now my highest is level 41, with a scattering others in the low 30s, mid 20s, and teens. My wife's highest character is level 32-ish.

It's become pretty clear from the promotions and rewards offered that we are not the target audience for this game. Every time something new is touted, it's pretty much meant for the hardcore -- people who have the time to either plow through content or to power-level past it. I was a bit put off to learn that the free month that was rewarded a while back (1.2?) was only for those who had gotten to a certain legacy level and level 50 -- I'm not as valuable because I have a life, even though I'm paying the same amount of cash? :rolleyes: (I've seen comments that the month was given to everyone -- I just checked and I didn't get it. I'm certain that if I checked my wife's account, I'd find that she didn't get it either.)

When I saw this promotion of the new speeder for inviting friends, I automatically figured I wouldn't be able to get it. All of my friends subbed back when I did, having preordered the game back when I did. That's fine; my friends are on, and the speeder is simply another cool shiny, right? "No big deal," I told myself. "Yes, it looks really cool, and I'd love to have it, but the CE speeder serves me good enough. I'll make due, and once I reach level 50 I'll buy one of those sweet 110% speeders (or have a friend build me one)." Then I find out that not only does this new speeder look nice, it completely outperforms in every way any speeder I have access to. What the ****! Seriously?

Please note: I don't care if you give away titles, new speeder models, pets, or whatever. I expect that minor benefits will be handed out to those who are willing to jump through a few hoops. Hell, if it's something I can do (and I've got the time and/or inclination) I might even jump through myself. But twice now player rewards that have provided fairly significant benefits (a free month, a speeder that's faster and more durable) have been offered under terms that have completely excluded me and my wife. It's bad enough that current subscribers and CE buyers are considered less valuable than new 1 month subs; do you seriously have to rub this fact in our faces time and again with these promotions?

My friends have been one-by-one drifting away from TOR. I had been trying to discourage them from doing so, but honestly now I can't. Hell, I'm not even sure I want to stick around. I get the distinct sense that "We are not the players you're looking for."

*shrug*

And thus begins the story of how I started multiple accounts on yet another MMO just to get the shinies.

The game's on sale for $20 at Amazon so it'll just cost me $35 to own it.

Personally, I'd be willing to just pay the $35 to BioWare and get the thing if I could avoid the hassle of dealing with a second account since all my friends either already play or refuse to play.

/signed

I'd rather pay some cash to buy cool toys.

Yeah.

I don't write in MMO forums, mainly because of past bad experiences. However, I really feel I have to say something here. As a bit of backstory, I've only played one other MMO long term (8 years running now). I bought the CE version of the game, mostly because I'm a big SW fan (old movies only; don't talk to me about Eps 1-3 PLEASE). My wife and I both have accounts. I play a few times a week -- once a week my wife and I team up with friends from out of state, and a few times a week the two of us run a different set of characters together. I don't have a level 50 character here yet; as of right now my highest is level 41, with a scattering others in the low 30s, mid 20s, and teens. My wife's highest character is level 32-ish.

It's become pretty clear from the promotions and rewards offered that we are not the target audience for this game. Every time something new is touted, it's pretty much meant for the hardcore -- people who have the time to either plow through content or to power-level past it. I was a bit put off to learn that the free month that was rewarded a while back (1.2?) was only for those who had gotten to a certain legacy level and level 50 -- I'm not as valuable because I have a life, even though I'm paying the same amount of cash? :rolleyes: (I've seen comments that the month was given to everyone -- I just checked and I didn't get it. I'm certain that if I checked my wife's account, I'd find that she didn't get it either.)

When I saw this promotion of the new speeder for inviting friends, I automatically figured I wouldn't be able to get it. All of my friends subbed back when I did, having preordered the game back when I did. That's fine; my friends are on, and the speeder is simply another cool shiny, right? "No big deal," I told myself. "Yes, it looks really cool, and I'd love to have it, but the CE speeder serves me good enough. I'll make due, and once I reach level 50 I'll buy one of those sweet 110% speeders (or have a friend build me one)." Then I find out that not only does this new speeder look nice, it completely outperforms in every way any speeder I have access to. What the ****! Seriously?

Please note: I don't care if you give away titles, new speeder models, pets, or whatever. I expect that minor benefits will be handed out to those who are willing to jump through a few hoops. Hell, if it's something I can do (and I've got the time and/or inclination) I might even jump through myself. But twice now player rewards that have provided fairly significant benefits (a free month, a speeder that's faster and more durable) have been offered under terms that have completely excluded me and my wife. It's bad enough that current subscribers and CE buyers are considered less valuable than new 1 month subs; do you seriously have to rub this fact in our faces time and again with these promotions?

My friends have been one-by-one drifting away from TOR. I had been trying to discourage them from doing so, but honestly now I can't. Hell, I'm not even sure I want to stick around. I get the distinct sense that "We are not the players you're looking for."

*shrug*

There are some good reasons they are offering this speeder in the way they are. To increase subs because the game is bleeding them faster than a sinking boat taking on water. They seem to have this misconception if they expose TOR to more players, they will have to sub because it will look so great. You can see this attitude by watching the interview video the EA CEO did with CBS the other day. I know other games offer mounts for refering friends to a game, but those are only special in looks. Not in performance.

I'm not a fan of this speeder. Or rather: I loathe this speeder on the fleet. The sound is awful and people having their heads in the exhaust is almost worse than landspeeders covering the mailboxes/drop boxes and NPCs.

A mountable adult Tauntaun would make me go VERY far, but yet another fleet nuisance? Nope.

I'm not a fan of this speeder. Or rather: I loathe this speeder on the fleet. The sound is awful and people having their heads in the exhaust is almost worse than landspeeders covering the mailboxes/drop boxes and NPCs.

A mountable adult Tauntaun would make me go VERY far, but yet another fleet nuisance? Nope.

To each their own. I personally love the speeder. My only complaint is it doesn't sound like it does in the video when you are moving around.

• 3 weeks later...

This thread has dropped off the Customer Service board's front page, and I think the General forum might be better suited to the topic, anyway, though I'm not sure:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=517984

The FAQ has an error and an unanswered question.

http://www.swtor.com/support/helpcenter/4384

These trial invitations will allow the invited players to download and install the game, and to play for free for seven (7) days.

This is outdated information. They can now play for free to level 15 with no time limit.

And this question:

How do I become eligible for the Friends Trial reward?

Doesn't say how long your friend has to create their account for you to get credit (2 weeks, I think?) or how long they have to buy the game and subscribe for you to get credit (I have no idea).

Thanks for your help!