get rid of the sniper screen...

RragnarR

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm enjoying my Sniper much more than my almost fully WH geared DPS Sage. I feel like a glass cannon.

However, seeing a melee class complain about my cover screen, makes me even more happy to be playing my sniper.

Good melee wreck me once they get on me.

Bad melee get wrecked when they get on me.

Cover Screen has nothing to do with it.

I'm enjoying my Sniper much more than my almost fully WH geared DPS Sage. I feel like a glass cannon.

However, seeing a melee class complain about my cover screen, makes me even more happy to be playing my sniper.

Good melee wreck me once they get on me.

Bad melee get wrecked when they get on me.

Cover Screen has nothing to do with it.

Cover screen has everything to do with it since most of your defense abilities are tied to it, but I disagree with the nerf claims.

Cover screen has everything to do with it since most of your defense abilities are tied to it, but I disagree with the nerf claims.

I think you missed the point. Maybe I wasn't clear.

If you're being killed by a Sniper as a melee class, it's not because of the inability to leap to the Sniper while in cover.

ITT: FOTM player has discovered what every good PvP'er already knew... Snipers/Gunslingers absolutely murder Knights/Warriors.

It depends on skill, both glasses are good and have options to kill each other perfectly. The key to beat a sniper is to move it from the cover. Snipers have less mitigation while uncovered. I have both sniper and marauder at 50 and guardian at 45.

Force choke and force push is perfectly available to move sniper out of cover. If sniper is entrenched the best bet is to hide behind an object. Sniper sit in cover and their level of los is lower than standing dps.They cannot fight over small objects like boxes, but standing dps can, this is what many people who don't play snipers don't know. Use LOS to get closer to sniper them hit him with choke and charge.

Dear OP, I'm not sure if you knew this, but if you happen to be rage/focus specced, your melee character can pick up the short-ranged gap closer (0-10m) and use it on them even when they're in cover. ... oh geez, now all the snipers/gunslingers have me locked and have begun activating ambush/aimed shot... must... seek... shelter!! AAAAH!

As one of those 4 people id like to tell the OP to go leap into a lake...

If your gunning for the Sniper/slinger all it gives us is another 3 seconds or so to pull of 2 attacks at most before your on us anyway in open ground, if where on a ramp or higher elevation then yeah we have the advantage, so we should, we spent a good 4+ seconds or so getting into the position and not dpsing. If a melee like a mara gets on me I pop my shield probe, and keep at it, once thats droped I pop dodge, then I might flash bang him and go back to my old targets... ultimately unless he gets bored and goes after some one else that melee WILL kill me, and im resigned to that fact.

If you could leap to me my positioning wouldnt mean diddly, and id be like the poor healer im shooting, dead in seconds and respawning most of the match.

If i dont dodge through master strike even in mostly WH gear im down to 1/3rd health... so yeah, Ill keep my un-mobile immunity to leaps, I need it, other wise it would be an even more melee dominated game than it already is.

whats next?, demand they turn us back to pre 1.2 and make it so any knockback would throw us out of cover forcing us to get back into cover again to use most of our abilitys... no thanks, bad enough things like force choke still effect us in cover.

As another one of those 4 people, I agree with all of this. We really are pretty squishy when a melee gets on top of us. Insanely OP? Doubtful. I wish these forums had some sort of idiot filter.

Dear OP, I'm not sure if you knew this, but if you happen to be rage/focus specced, your melee character can pick up the short-ranged gap closer (0-10m) and use it on them even when they're in cover. ... oh geez, now all the snipers/gunslingers have me locked and have begun activating ambush/aimed shot... must... seek... shelter!! AAAAH!

As Carnage, I just wait for the Knockback and Force Camo to get back on them.

Usually a dead Sniper within 6 seconds after that. I imagine Annihilation has the most issues against them.

Edited by Varicite

Snipers are only deadly when ignored, and can be badly picked apart quickly by several classes. Even for your class, there are ways around it. Just because you can't faceroll a sniper doesn't mean they should have the screen removed. As an operative I feel bad for them sometimes.... especially when they often don't get a single shot in.

It depends on skill, both glasses are good and have options to kill each other perfectly. The key to beat a sniper is to move it from the cover. Snipers have less mitigation while uncovered. I have both sniper and marauder at 50 and guardian at 45.

Force choke and force push is perfectly available to move sniper out of cover. If sniper is entrenched the best bet is to hide behind an object. Sniper sit in cover and their level of los is lower than standing dps.They cannot fight over small objects like boxes, but standing dps can, this is what many people who don't play snipers don't know. Use LOS to get closer to sniper them hit him with choke and charge.

Positioning is definitely the most important aspect of playing the Sniper class, and a well positioned Sniper gobbles up Sentinels/Guardians. I have 2 toons in full aug'd WH; a Merc healer (iknorite) and a Sniper.

For my Sniper, its all about setitng up in a position where I can't be easily LOS'd. As duh as that sounds, it is amazing at how many Snipers set up in terrible spots.

Edited by Frenchfrys

As a DPS Sage, I know one thing:

When I see a laser pointer marking my forehead in a Warzone ... I run. It doesn't matter what is going on, I'm getting the hell out of dodge.

Why?

Because a Sniper left alone to Snipe perched on the 2nd level of any map, is probably the most lethal thing in this game.

As a DPS Sage, I know one thing:

When I see a laser pointer marking my forehead in a Warzone ... I run. It doesn't matter what is going on, I'm getting the hell out of dodge.

Why?

Because a Sniper left alone to Snipe perched on the 2nd level of any map, is probably the most lethal thing in this game.

Bingo. Interupt LoS on us and you'll walk away pretty much unscathed OP. It's not rocket surgery.

As Carnage, I just wait for the Knockback and Force Camo to get back on them.

Usually a dead Sniper within 6 seconds after that. I imagine Annihilation has the most issues against them.

Meh, they can be deadly. Yes, the bads are easily dropped when we (we being carnage marauders) position ourselves so that their knockback throws us into an obstruction so we're still within melee range (again, these are the bads - a decent one will actually move first, to make sure this doesn't happen). Typically, a sniper will leg-shot me before I can get in melee range (so I use force camo there, since i'm usually too far to obfuscate - saber ward just doesn't seem to cut it) and I'll close in + obfuscate and go to work on them... but then comes their melee ranged stun, their repositioned cover pulse, and the pain.

As I said, there aren't many good snipers (particularly marksman specced snipers who seem to be adament on not ever leaving cover) - but engineer snipers (who drop plasma probe + orbital stike on their location) and lethality snipers (who love to DoT me up, let me get close, then they use debilitate -the melee stun, which also gives them a movement speed boost- and they waltz off and Cull the bejeezus out of me) can cause some serious issues for me in the right hands. I actually think annihilation specced marauders would have much easier times against most snipers since at least their DoT's will be ticking while they're kb + rooted and they can use force camo more effectively to get in on them so as to avoid the whole issue that leg shot's ranged root causes me. Snipers are either a joke or a royal pain in the *** (for maras) - depends on the class/spec and the skill level of the player - too bad it's a fairly unpopular class, so it tends to have fewer "dabblers" (players that optimize their spec/playstyle to become elitists) compared to the rest of the classes.

I guess I'm biased towards Lethality snipers since they have significantly more mobility compared to the other specs. Engineer is great, too (nothing better to keep melees out of your face than to drop plasma probe + orbital strike on yourself - it's funny to see them debate on whether or not they should come in and hit you for a bit - they hesitate, decide to try it, they get rooted, they land a hit or two then their health is suddenly below 50% and they try to run away, but the slows usuall result in them taking dirtnaps before they can escape the radius).

Lethality (well, lethality hybrid) seems to be the most adaptive sniper spec, much of it due to mobility. Marksman is great for single-target DPS, but susceptible to melees, LoS, and accuracy debuffs (not to mention it can't do anything if it's not in cover). Engineer is great as an anti-melee spec and large # fights. Lethality is just... nasty. Yeah, I'm biased.

I think most people have no clue how to play sab build and haven't read how the two sab abilities are suppose to be used. The 31 point talent works best on targets who have the shock charge placed on them, it stuns them. Meaning free DPS on that target, or you can move to a different spot and plop down a screen. It's a second leg shot.

My chair is op. Its all comfy.

Also I really think that we need to remove force leap from the game cuz its so op how you can move 30m in one second. -sarcasm

Cover screen exsists because force leap exsists. They are counters to each other. They both stay or both go.

It's fine how it is. Snipers would get wrecked otherwise

Now if you want to talk about a cover mechanic that is pretty silly, look at when scoundrels/operatives kneel down in the middle of an open field and you magically cannot jump to them. It does not make sense, if they were actually behind something I would understand and be fine with it.