get rid of the sniper screen...

RragnarR

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Imagine how useless snipers would be if they could be jumped to while in cover. The whole point of the sniper class is that you sacrifice mobility and melee range survivability, in order to be deadly at long range.

Now imagine if melee classes had the ability to simply jump to a sniper's location - immediately closing that important buffer zone the sniper literally needs to be useful.

Or imagine huttball, if snipers couldn't set up camp on the upper catwalk ledges, for fear that the opposing ball carrier could simply jump to them in a vulnerable position.

The point is - quit whining. Good melee players are more than competitive against snipers.

I could have added thing people find op about all the other classes (not every spec), but I think I made my point well enough with the fact that you can't cry OP nerf to five classes in a game and say that there is no class balance. Everyone has tools that they can use to counter the other classes

Commandos would like to have a word with you.

Commandos would like to have a word with you.

I did say not every spec. Some say that the uninterruptible plus heals for more cooldown is op on heals, but ya, I don't think anyone would call commando dps op.

Please note that I am not saying these things are op, I am merely saying that I have now heard an op cry for every class in the game.

The best part about cover screen,, is the melee classes will continue over and over throughout the match, as if "sooner or later I'm gonna force leap or get my hands around that snipers neck" lol

The best part about cover screen,, is the melee classes will continue over and over throughout the match, as if "sooner or later I'm gonna force leap or get my hands around that snipers neck" lol

It's worse then that. If you for example kill a Marauder/Sentinel he will keep trying to kill you over and over again. I've been in matches where one guy would insist on chasing me down and trying to kill me every single time again and again.

I'm sure the 4 people that make up the Sniper/Gunslinger Community would agree to this.

lol *** are you smoking? There are tons of Snipers/Gunslingers, there are always at least 1 and many times I see 2 to 3 in most WZs. With that said no we can't get rid of sniper screen. They do need to take some damage off their big hits though. They can hit way too hard. Also before you ***** about mobility this is a myth, you can move your screen at a moments notice and be back in just as quickly stop using this as an excuse. Plenty of survival tools.

With this said if BW does NOT nerf Marauders/Powertechs soon then they better leave my sniper teammates alone because they are the best counter to those OP FOTM *****es IMO.

It's worse then that. If you for example kill a Marauder/Sentinel he will keep trying to kill you over and over again. I've been in matches where one guy would insist on chasing me down and trying to kill me every single time again and again.

I have experienced that a few times myself, and I've had mar/sent come at me 2 or 3 times in a row, and then the rest of the match, avoid me like the plague. I've also run into some who had me for lunch. lol

ah yes, we've come full circle to the snipers are OP threads... let me drink it in...

this is karma for seeing snipers/GS ***** about sentinels/maras and powertechs vanguards. you are the hard counter to those classes, now you get your comeuppance for refusing to L2P

get rid of permanent anti jump screen - snipers are so rediculously op already. Insane amounts of damage and lots of cc's - the fact that no night can leap them makes them rediculously op...

keep talking. snipers are fine.

we paying our mobility for defensive screen.

we playing line of sight for our damage.

Snipers are most balanced class in this game.

The issue with snipers is that they have a few talents which can't be countered by some of the classes they are versing.

For the game to "Balance" every class has to have an ability that counters the actions of the opposing class.

Here is a simple example.

eg.

*Sentinel A leaps to Sentinel B

*Sentinel A initiates Ravage

*Sentinel B counters with obfuscation

*Sentinel B initiates Ravage

*Sentinel A initiates Camo

This is a balanced situation where each player has the opportunity to counter the abilities of the opposing player.

Snipers / Slingers have several talents which cannot be countered by certain opposing classes.

Cover -> Has no effect on ranged classes or stealth classes, however it completely counters the Guardian/Jugs ability to gap close.

Hunkered down -> Allows the sniper or slinger to chain cast everything they have while rooting them to the spot. They are Invulnerable to ALL CC for 20 seconds. This talent is a huge problem for EVERY class because the only thing you can do to "counter it" is LOS. If you are Melee your even more screwed! The chances are you will be rooted/ stunned or destroyed by all the other people around you while trying to break LOS. Meanwhile the objectives are all being capped because your trying to hide behind some pole rather than get your face blown off.

Immune to interrupt -> Anytime a sniper or slinger is covered, their talents cannot be interrupted through normal means. They have to be physically pushed out of cover or you have to use "combat stealth" to break their target. If you are not within 10m for most classes you can kiss that option goodbye.

Moral of the story is that if you want to FIX Snipers / singers then you have to allow the other classes to counter them.

*I don't think every ability that a sniper or slinger has should be immune to interrupt. Only their long cooldown/Long cast time talents should be immune. ie. Aimed shot

*Hunkered down is a bit too extreme. 6 - 10 seconds is way more fair than 20 seconds of cc immunity.

*Increase the range of abilities like Choke and force push to 15 - 20m so that when a guardian or sentinel is pushed back they have the option to knock the sniper out of cover and then leap back when the 2 second root is up.

Edited by JackNader

The issue with snipers is that they have a few talents which can't be countered by some of the classes they are versing.

For the game to "Balance" every class has to have an ability that counters the actions of the opposing class.

Here is a simple example.

eg.

*Sentinel A leaps to Sentinel B

*Sentinel A initiates Ravage

*Sentinel B counters with obfuscation

*Sentinel B initiates Ravage

*Sentinel A initiates Camo

This is a balanced situation where each player has the opportunity to counter the abilities of the opposing player.

Snipers / Slingers have several talents which cannot be countered by certain opposing classes.

Cover -> Has no effect on ranged classes or stealth classes, however it completely counters the Guardian/Jugs ability to gap close.

Hunkered down -> Allows the sniper or slinger to chain cast everything they have while rooting them to the spot. They are Invulnerable to ALL CC for 20 seconds. This talent is a huge problem for EVERY class because the only thing you can do to "counter it" is LOS. If you are Melee your even more screwed! The chances are you will be rooted/ stunned or destroyed by all the other people around you while trying to break LOS.

Immune to interrupt -> Anytime a sniper or slinger is covered, their talents cannot be interrupted through normal means. They have to be physically pushed out of cover or you have to use "combat stealth" to break their target. If you are not within 10m for most classes you can kiss that option goodbye.

Moral of the story is that if you want to FIX Snipers / singers then you have to allow the other classes to counter them.

*I don't think every ability that a sniper or slinger has should be immune to interrupt. Only their long cooldown/Long cast time talents should be immune. ie. Aimed shot

*Hunkered down is a bit too extreme. 6 - 10 seconds is way more fair than 20 seconds of cc immunity.

*Increase the range of abilities like Choke and force push to 15 - 20m so that when a guardian or sentinel is pushed back they have the option to knock the sniper out of cover and then leap back when the 2 second root is up.

You are basically asking to nerf the class that is supposed to counter you. By your logic, we snipers should have passive invisibility detection +10 so that no assassin or operative ever get behind amd backstab us. Can you see how ridiculous this is?

And since when a marauder does not have the tools to fight a sniper??? Chaining saberward and obfuscate is basically immunity for 18 seconds to any sniper white damage. Just as long as entrench lasts. And you still have force camo and undying rage and cloak of pain in your arsenal.

How about we nerf your saber ward to 4-6 seconds instead of 12? How about we take away your force camo if you are marauder and your immunity to CC if you are a vengeance jugg?

Seems ridiculuous, right? This is exactly what you are asking for snipers. Mercs have none of these features that snipers have and look what a joke class they are and how easy they die to sents/maras.

Your example of balanace between 2 sentinels dueling is a complete joke. By same logic, a MM sniper will always counter a MM sniper simply because they do have diversion.

As some other poster before me said, it seems that melee players cannot deal with anything in this game unless they can charge right into someone's face. And you, forgve me, are probably one of their worst representatives.

Edited by NoTomorrow

Meh. The charge-immunity is annoying but fine. There are ways to get around it such as stuns.

What sucks is that Sniper knoc kback is basically a Talented Sorc's Knockback and a Talented' Mercs knockback.

Sorcs get a small KB +Root

Mercs get a Far KB + Minor slow

Snipers get a Far KB + Root =(

Plus a 2nd root on a short CD. I wish my Sorc could get 2 roots :( (Mercs can't even get 1 >.>)

Edited by pureeffinmetal

woooooooh hold on a minute buddy.. who says snipers are "supposed" to counter anyone?? Is that an official Bioware statement?

If this was not the case , then asassins and concealment ops would not have the tools to kill a sniper.

If this was not the case , then asassins and concealment ops would not have the tools to kill a sniper.

Observe Biowares track record. On Launch Operatives destroyed everyone. You could argue that they were the counter to all classes! Bioware responded by Nerfing the hell out of them. Assassin Tanks Pre 1.3 Destroyed all classes because they were basically unkillable. You could argue that they were the new hard counter. Bioware responded by Nerfing the hell out of them. Snipers "were" an absolutely pathetic class on launch that nobody played. Bioware responded by buffing the hell out of them.

Bioware has a pretty common theme here. They are "balancing classes" NOT creating hard counters! Why create a hard counter? Is it fun to go up against your classes hard counter?? erm NO. Is it fair? erm NO. Does it cause people to rage quit and thus SWTOR loses even more subscriptions.. ermm YES.

get rid of permanent anti jump screen - snipers are so rediculously op already. Insane amounts of damage and lots of cc's - the fact that no night can leap them makes them rediculously op...

Our entire setup is designed around messing with a melee DPS's head. We've got the specific tools we need. No leap, Slow on our DOT (Engi), Knockback on one of our primary abilities when within 10 meters (any spec-accessible MM talent), Basic knockback with root, other root, mezz, leap immunity, uninterruptability, un-CC-ability, stun, shield probe, evasion. The whole point is to disable you or stop taking damage from you somehow and keep blasting away the whole time. However, put us up against, say, a conc op, and it's a completely different story...few enough people play snipers as is. You can handle walking to your target for every, what, fourth match? You'll be fine.