Can we, as a community, eliminate the "Grass" and "Snow" in Alderaan?

Bewoulff

At this stage in the game after hundreds of civil wars it should not even matter or bother you. East/west, snow/grass you should know what it is.

If Republic LEFT / RIGHT on minimap

If Empire LEFT / RIGHT on minimap

Oh and on both big maps it is still LEFT / RIGHT ALWAYS.

Snow/Grass is just stupid as West / East is stupid as if you change Factions you swap them. So use LEFT/RIGHT

• Replies 776
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:mad:

Why did you awaken the beast?

Now we have to sacrifice your children to put it to rest.

People are not very bright. Everyone has a LEFT and RIGHT and the mini map and big map have a LEFT and RIGHT

This snow/grass is just stupid as East and West

Use LEFT and RIGHT as no matter what factions it is always the same for them and always works with no confusion!

• 2 months later...
Listen up people...All you need is situational awareness during the match and it shouldn't be an issue. I am constantly checking the map to see what is going on. Not only what nodes we have or don't have but where my team mates are. If you can't figure out where to go within a second you really are not paying attention to what is going on. No matter what directional language is used.

Listen up people...All you need is situational awareness during the match and it shouldn't be an issue. I am constantly checking the map to see what is going on. Not only what nodes we have or don't have but where my team mates are. If you can't figure out where to go within a second you really are not paying attention to what is going on. No matter what directional language is used.

Your post would be a lot smarter if it wasn't in a three month old thread that is a necro of a six month old thread...

Seems u lack thread date awareness, is there anybody out there that joins civil war and doesn't look at the enemy ship and check the terrain in case of same faction?

I'll admit, I don't pay attention to that. I don't care which side has grass or snow. In fact, both have snow and both have grass. I say we go off of the already established and universally understood "north, south, east, west" directions. I can't tell you how many games of Alderaan or Voidstar I've played where people say "right" when if their screen is oriented north they are in fact "left". Or people say grass and I have no idea what they are talking about. The minimap is always oriented north, so this makes it the most accurate way to call directions.

Give me a shovel and I will eleminate snow and give me some grass killing stuff and I will eleminate grass.

Grass/Snow isnt a problem at all if you have 1/4 of a brain or more and I'll tell you why.

If you have 2 nodes in Civil war, lets say mid and one side node and someone call INC 2 GRASS...where are you going to go to help? On your side node or on the enemy node? I think its obvious. If you have the 2 side nodes, you will go to the node you are not on....thats pretty simple, its called logic. Now if you have the 3 nodes...why would you care?

In voidstar its a bit harder, you have to use the thing called logic AND your eyes and sometimes your mouse. If you are on a side and someone call whatever...its possibly the other side that needs help...and if you are dead,just look at the minimap, there is 5 players of your team on one side and one on the other...I bet the player calling for help is the lonely player. If you are not sure, mouse over the dot of your teamate on the minimap to see the name....

Hey, it's this thread again! Oh, how I've missed you!

On a more serious note, I'd like to take this opportunity to explain my view on this whole debate. Can we all agree that using Grass/Snow is a landmark based view? Meaning that the only way to know which node is Grass/Snow is to look at the ground and identify the node based on the terrain. Also meaning that if you cannot see the terrain (if you're standing at mid for example) you have no way of identifying which node is which. We can all agree with this, right?

Also, can we all agree that using West/East is about knowing your directions on a map? Meaning that when somebody calls out West/East you should be able to identify which direction the node is by determining your orientation on the map. This is something that can be agreed upon, no?

So, assuming the above, I make the case that it makes the most sense to use West/East. Why? Because using West/East simply (or, not so simply for some folks :rolleyes:) requires you to determine your orientation on the map while Grass/Snow requires the use of the terrain. Both of these options can work, but identifying Grass/Snow is impeded when you cannot see the terrain. For this reason, I believe that it makes more sense to use West/East to identify the nodes since you can always determine where to move by determining your orientation on the map. But what's that you say? You still know which direction to go when Grass/Snow is called even though you're standing in mid? Well, that's because you've already made the association that Snow is to the East and Grass is to the West even though you may not use that terminology. This, too, makes a more compelling case for West/East. If you always know where to move, without the use of the terrain, then you've already identified the appropriate directions.

Now, despite my conclusion and given that the community is so gosh darn divided on the matter, any competent PvP player should be able to appropriately move regardless of the terminology used and regardless of his/her personal preferences. :cool:

Is it necro week or something?

I think we need everyone to graduate from the L2 call incs thread before they can start arguing about what to arbitrarily call the nodes. I assume what they called was probably wrong anyway and go to THE ONLY OTHER NODE WE HAVE instead.

Is it necro week or something?

I think we need everyone to graduate from the L2 call incs thread before they can start arguing about what to arbitrarily call the nodes. I assume what they called was probably wrong anyway and go to THE ONLY OTHER NODE WE HAVE instead.

i got reported and a warning for jokingly necro'ing a thread about nerfing sorcs.

yet this is like the 10th necro this week. a little consistency from the mods would be nice

I'll admit, I don't pay attention to that. I don't care which side has grass or snow. In fact, both have snow and both have grass. I say we go off of the already established and universally understood "north, south, east, west" directions. I can't tell you how many games of Alderaan or Voidstar I've played where people say "right" when if their screen is oriented north they are in fact "left". Or people say grass and I have no idea what they are talking about. The minimap is always oriented north, so this makes it the most accurate way to call directions.

Can't believe this is even a thread.

I know it sounds dumb, but one thing I've learned from working in the wilderness, a lot of people I come across outdoors don't know which direction is which and always gets east and west messed up. It's easier for ppl to just be dumb about it. Snow. Grass. Mid. Simpler.

It can't always be oriented "North". Both teams cannot possible have two opposing northern directions. The map can always face "up", which is different from North. Snow and Grass are easy landmarks for people that understand there is no North.

In fact due to this obvious attempt at trolling, I propose we start up a "Grass and Snow" campaign. In fact, we should rename "Civil War" to "Grass and Snow"

Time to get out of Mom's basement me thinks ;)

The enemy gate is Down.

Bonus points for anyone who can tell where that's from.

Also, isn't this whole arguement silly? Grass, West, Snow, East... -.- if it get's people to defend, idc. (Hell, I use both half the time.)

Even after playing this map countless times, I still can't remember which side has more grass and which side has more snow. I always think in terms of left/right from spawn. East/West is also acceptable, although personally I find it less intuitive... but you can always check your map. Unfortunately, the map is no help in determining Grass/Snow, because both sides are just blue. ;)

I also happen to think people who say grass/snow sound incredibly stupid. Because whereas "Go right" is a valid sentence in normal English language, "Go snow" is not. Imagine if we told people to make a grass turn at the intersection, or turn to a heading of snow. :p

So, yeah, I agree with this thread. Say Left/Right or, if you prefer, East/West.

Oh, and to the people that complain about left/right changing depending on which side you're on... it doesn't, really. Left is always "your" node, Right is always "their" node. And you always turn the same way to get to either one.

Edited by Cessna_X

The enemy gate is Down.

Bonus points for anyone who can tell where that's from.

Also, isn't this whole arguement silly? Grass, West, Snow, East... -.- if it get's people to defend, idc. (Hell, I use both half the time.)

I made that joke like two days ago in the other thread dealing with this Topic =P

Great Ender's Game reference even so. =)

Cant agree more, East and west is the best for all maps.

I don't understand how anyone who has played this map more than 3 times can get confused over grass and snow. This is not a complex map. There is one side that is covered in snow, and there is one side that is covered in grass. They are always the same spot. You might prefer east/west, but that doesn't mean snow/grass should annoy or baffle you.