Take fleets out

Sarfux

Seriously...Drommund Kaas and Coruscant should feel like our homes :) Where everybody stands and protects/talks in it. Does things out of it. I don't think Republic fleet or Empire Fleet should be destinations for high levels or people that want to feel like they are part of something. It should be the Capital Worlds. Hence "Capital" worlds. hehe. You should really consider taking out the fleets. However it would probably be too late now since all FP and stuff is on there.

Anyone else agree here? You feel more "at home" when you are on a Capital World and that's they way it SHOULD be :)

Sadly from here on they can't as many quest givers and NPCs are resided on them. They may not seem like major characters of the Star Wars universe but they've become part of the franchise continuity. Lucasfilm has a very strict policy when it comes to watching over the continuity so unless they can come to some agreement in retconning them, it's going to be a big NO!

Wow can get away with moving NPCs here and there and changing bits of the story because they don't keep a strict set of rules about the WarCraft universe and its canon.

I agree. The fleet is boring and feels tacked on. It also doesn't feel like a military installation, more like a shopping mall with people riding cars inside it.

An excellent incentive to get end-game players off the fleet and onto Dromund Kaas would be to add all the end-game vendors and quest givers to Dromund Kaas or Coruscant plus all the future items and armor that can be purchased can ONLY be purchased on those capitol world vendors. That way players up to 50 (and pvp players in WH and BM) will take up fleets while the rest of the players for the next and all future tiers of content can be on Dromund Kaas. I would spread it out too, make there be buildings and terminals around the city to thin out the population.

Sadly from here on they can't as many quest givers and NPCs are resided on them. They may not seem like major characters of the Star Wars universe but they've become part of the franchise continuity. Lucasfilm has a very strict policy when it comes to watching over the continuity so unless they can come to some agreement in retconning them, it's going to be a big NO!

Wow can get away with moving NPCs here and there and changing bits of the story because they don't keep a strict set of rules about the WarCraft universe and its canon.

That is absurd. First off, my method I think bypasses that but even then, is it really unimaginable to you (and Lucasarts) to simply say it is an Imperial decree to help "alleviate fleet crowds that are interrupting daily business for military officials" by forcing all business and vendors to relocate their business (on Imperial payroll I might add since commendations imply they are part of the bureaucracy) and their sold goods to the homeworld as to help fill the "unpopulated residential districts that were created in Dromund Kaas's expansion" in which the same could be said for the Republic except it is because many of the old residential areas in the lower levels were repaired instead.

It can be advertised in lore as a marketing ploy to help keep the Imperial and Republic economies growing and expanding as they renovate, build, and expand their homeworlds.

Edited by Forgon

Seriously...Drommund Kaas and Coruscant should feel like our homes :) Where everybody stands and protects/talks in it. Does things out of it. I don't think Republic fleet or Empire Fleet should be destinations for high levels or people that want to feel like they are part of something. It should be the Capital Worlds. Hence "Capital" worlds. hehe. You should really consider taking out the fleets. However it would probably be too late now since all FP and stuff is on there.

Anyone else agree here? You feel more "at home" when you are on a Capital World and that's they way it SHOULD be :)

Ya it would be nice if the cities were the gathering points instead of a small fleet that gets cluttered. It certainly makes more sense as well.

Edited by Raansu

I agree. The fleet is boring and feels tacked on. It also doesn't feel like a military installation, more like a shopping mall with people riding cars inside it.

I lol'd! I agree with this too. Nothing feels more iconic than feeling like a Mallrat :rolleyes:

That is absurd. First off, my method I think bypasses that but even then, is it really unimaginable to you (and Lucasarts) to simply say it is an Imperial decree to help "alleviate fleet crowds that are interrupting daily business for military officials" by forcing all business and vendors to relocate their business (on Imperial payroll I might add since commendations imply they are part of the bureaucracy) and their sold goods to the homeworld as to help fill the "unpopulated residential districts that were created in Dromund Kaas's expansion" in which the same could be said for the Republic except it is because many of the old residential areas in the lower levels were repaired instead.

It can be advertised in lore as a marketing ploy to help keep the Imperial and Republic economies growing and expanding as they renovate, build, and expand their homeworlds.

Hey don't shoot the messenger, I just report what I know. Seriously the smallest bit of lore changing and retconning can anger Lucasfilm. We can just hope that less NPCs and quest givers are placed on the fleets and instead on the various worlds.

Nevermind the game design standpoint on fleets. On a technical level, it's just ridiculous. Now that we have populated servers, having 200+ people running around in a single space station is absurd. Spread it out so the game doesn't seem so artificial. Put GTNs back on the planets you took them off. Place important NPCs on their respective capitals. There's so much wasted space in this game it's mind boggling. Edited by LaManoNera

Wouldnt work, the people who are low levels would have baad lag, they would need a whole new planet...

Nevermind the game design standpoint on fleets. On a technical level, it's just ridiculous. Now that we have populated servers, having 200+ people running around in a single space station is absurd. Spread it out so the game doesn't seem so artificial. Put GTNs back on the planets you took them off. Place important NPCs on their respective capitals. There's so much wasted space in this game it's mind boggling.

Having 200+ people on a single planet + Plus the low levels ranking up, LAAG

Having 200+ people on a single planet + Plus the low levels ranking up, LAAG

Compared to a single fleet as small as the fleet station...? What top secret military grade internet connection do you play on where you don't lag horribly in a 200+ fleet?

Have you been to Courscant or Dromund Kaas? They're pretty damn big. And cool looking.

You're essentially telling me that it's better to have 200+ people crammed into a McDonalds building rather than letting them roam around the entire town. :confused:

Edited by LaManoNera

That is what a capital cities are for. The HQs of most classes are there. There are the political hub too in most story lines.

The Fleets just technical hubs without it being tied up with the rest of the stories. It feels isolated being in there.

They are busy social hubs nonetheless but it is because unfortunately you have to be there. They are more like a glorified docking station. It does not feel like being in the Star Wars universe once you are there. There is no theme or characters inside the Fleets.

The Fleets are like supermarkets, office buildings or shopping malls - they have stuff in them and you have to stop by in there once in a while. You do meet your friends there when they are doing their business there - just as you do. But you don't normally have a good time inside. It is just routine - and it is what is becoming of it once you are inside the Fleets.

London, New York, Paris or Tokyo are capital cities where people would gladly be there just because of what they are. They have their unique atmospheres and characters. You do see the histories or England, the US, France and Japan in there. But you don't look for the history in a supermarket, do you? Often you hear people say shopping malls are all the same; but how many times do you hear people say Londons are all the same?

Having the social hub centralised in the capital cities will make it more Star Warsy.

To be fair, there are a lot of common facilities on both the capital cities and the Fleets - except for the terminals and those bonus story giving NPCs. Moving them to the capitals are easy.

Edited by The_Old_One

Look, it's a performance issue. People are constantly zoning into fleet, usually from warzones but also fleetpass. If people had to load Coruscant or Dromund Kaas every single time they came back from a warzone, I think we'd have more crying than we do now.

ESPECIALLY now that fleets have a couple hundred people on them, simultaneously, with server transfers.

If I were to suggest anything, it would be to make the current fleets look cooler and have some variation over time. Maybe new glowing posters on the walls. Something more attractive for the Republic fleet than a bunch of... tents. Maybe ambient lights that slowly change color. That kinda thing.

Move the facilities in the Fleets gradually to the capitals and let the people decide where to gather. New features are to be added in the capitals too - like the Legacy Vendors.

At least people can choose.

This finally give some meanings back to being a capital city other than just another levelling zone which you will leave as soon as you are done there.

I would do two things when it comes to the urban renewal project.

First make a new zone on Coruscant and Kaas City that would serve the purpose as the fleet with the same vendors and daily terminal. Most misson givers are droids so thats not an issue.

Second remove the station and have ships serve as districts. PvP would have a ship designed and cater to pvp'er. Trader ship would have everything you need to buy and sell. Entertainment Barge would be the place people go to kick back and relax.

I would do two things when it comes to the urban renewal project.

First make a new zone on Coruscant and Kaas City that would serve the purpose as the fleet with the same vendors and daily terminal. Most misson givers are droids so thats not an issue.

Second remove the station and have ships serve as districts. PvP would have a ship designed and cater to pvp'er. Trader ship would have everything you need to buy and sell. Entertainment Barge would be the place people go to kick back and relax.

Nice.

A sub-zone in the capitals - just like Blackhole to Corelia. But I would add that a direct flight to the spaceport, or even to the spaceships, is most certainly needed.

As to the Fleets, I think it can be kept for historical sake. May be keep it for social events or seasonal events. But I don't think separating the pvpers from the rest is a good idea.

It does seem a massive waste to have our level-cap hub be the most drab, boring, and uneventful zone in the game. I look at places like Nar Shaddaa and the Senate Plaza on Coruscant and wonder why i'm stuck in this giant brown saucer that's nothing but round walkways and vendors.