So, How Many Names Did You Lose?

Thaed

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I lost 6/6 names that i was super happy with, names that i planned for my characters 1-2 years before the release.

Actually i haven't lost them yet because I'm refusing to leave the server at this point. But I'm a PvPer and the PvP is dead on Lord Calypho now. I have yet to decide out how I'll do.

Question to all who lost names due to transfer - how long did you wait till the whole process was complete?

I ask this because one thing bothers me. My bro-in-law lost some names but he rushed and logged in before stated hour passed. I, on the other hand, started the transfer for all my four Republic toons and in the meantime I played on Empire for like 3 hours.

When I end playing I simply relog to new server and had all transferred toons there with their original names. I even logged in with all four just to check if the names will remain. Then I quit the game, logged in into account and ordered my other four Empire toons to be transferred. Then went sleep. Empire transfer I checked next eveninig (approx 12 hrs after order) and again - all toons with their original names, nothing lost.

But my bro - he ordered a transfer and didn't wait requested time (in my case it was 1 hour to complete). So I'm wondering - maybe that's why. You logged in too early when server "booked" your toon;s name but didn't finish all the transfer while toon was already on list. So when you entered a server you encountered an error. Simply server didn't merged your reserved name with your toon. And it was thinking that another player wants to use a name that is already reserved.

Just a thought - share your stories and let's see if I'm wright or rong :)

I actually made a thread on this and it was locked for some reason. I don't know why as it isn't against the EULA or bypasses any of the game restrictions. It is kind of idiotic as it helps give people the names they love and gives the people the large server base they want.

In Windows there is a program called Character Map. Just hit the Start button, go to the little box thing, and typed "Character Map". Now use the Map to create the name you want and then hit copy. Go to the renaming box and use "Ctr+V". I would use Notepad and create a file called "Character Names" and then copy the names you made into this file. Go to each of your characters and send them a mail of the name you used so you can mail stuff between them with ease.

• 2 weeks later...
Question to all who lost names due to transfer - how long did you wait till the whole process was complete?

I ask this because one thing bothers me. My bro-in-law lost some names but he rushed and logged in before stated hour passed. I, on the other hand, started the transfer for all my four Republic toons and in the meantime I played on Empire for like 3 hours.

When I end playing I simply relog to new server and had all transferred toons there with their original names. I even logged in with all four just to check if the names will remain. Then I quit the game, logged in into account and ordered my other four Empire toons to be transferred. Then went sleep. Empire transfer I checked next eveninig (approx 12 hrs after order) and again - all toons with their original names, nothing lost.

But my bro - he ordered a transfer and didn't wait requested time (in my case it was 1 hour to complete). So I'm wondering - maybe that's why. You logged in too early when server "booked" your toon;s name but didn't finish all the transfer while toon was already on list. So when you entered a server you encountered an error. Simply server didn't merged your reserved name with your toon. And it was thinking that another player wants to use a name that is already reserved.

Just a thought - share your stories and let's see if I'm wright or rong :)

Before I initiated any transfers I went to the destination server and created name-holders, and found that 3 of my names were already taken. ( I just wonder how many names were "stolen" by people that played on the same origin server, but that liked another players name <raises his fist at BW>).

After that I would just delete a character, and then initiate the transfer. All 8 transfers went smooth, and the "1 hour" waiting time is just a safeguard put in place by BW. I was actually able to play a transferred character in less than 5 minutes after the completion of the transfer.

I moved from Krayt Dragon to The Shadowlands and lost my main's name (it's a name from a game so no big surprise there). Some level 21 jedi had it. Last night I created a gunslinger and thought "I'll try it to see if it's there" fully thinking the name would be denied, but it actually went through! They must have deleted the character recently or were in the process of recreating them for a new alt?

In the end, it doesn't matter much because my main is still changed, but it's nice to have the name back.

All of my names are taken by lowbie characters. I will not move to lose my names to characters that are likely on an inactive account when I've been keeping an active subscription since EGA and I still subbed into September.

My names are not common at all, in many years of MMO's I have not seen anyone else with them, yet apparently someone had the same ideas. Great minds and all that.:jawa_smile: I have to salute them for thinking it up, but hey.. you're not using them, let me have them.

I've checked by making an alt on Shadowlands and the highest was level 19. I've been checking regularly to see if I could catch the person(s) online to see if I could work something out to keep my names and so far in a week I haven't seen any of them on.

I will lose all but 3 names and my husband will lose all but one.

I don't want to be forced moved to a server where we will lose all these names we collected day one (through early access) so people who have played on a much newer server gets to benefit.

You now what, offer the people on the new server the pet and badges instead and let me keep my names. I should have priority over then anyway.

Lost all of mines...

Had to replace letters with ASCII tables (such as à, ù, and ì) to keep them.

Very annoying, but at least I got to keep the "spirit of the name"

What's with these games putting names as primary identifier these days... Back in 1997 games like Ultima Online didnt have any issues. Of course it'd be less painfull if the guy/gal that took my name actually PLAYED (yes I know, what a concept), but Noooo. They don't use the action house at any rate, nor PvP, and I've never been able to /tell anyone of them either.

It sucks. But until something is done (if ever), I'll have to make due with ascii-weirded names.

i was so pissed when i got my rakata main hand for my shadow and it was "Bastila Shan's Double balded lightsaber"

that charaters name was bastila (now bastilia) and i had the legacy name shan (now skywalkêr).

so... yeah.... im still hella bitter about this. at least i still have neo on the pts.

Edited by dipstik

I lost two alt names (Nytemare and Alynna) when I moved from Mind Trick to Corellian Run. I'm just happy I kept my main and my legacy name. Wasn't attached to Alynna (hit random 4 times). Was sad about Nytemare... but I just went with a homonym.

this kind of thread should be deleted. It is in no way constructive to the game in any way, shape, or form. It is only an outlet for ppl to complain about something the EULA/TOS has already taken care of. You don't like it well guess what......your "issue" is covered in the EULA/TOS, read that. You are NOT promised, gauranteed, slotted, or otherwise entitled to any name for any character. All names are UNIQUE and FIRST SOME FIRST SERVE. You CHOOSE to move to another server knowing full well what may or may not happen to your character name. Now deal with it PROPERLY.

this kind of thread should be deleted. It is in no way constructive to the game in any way, shape, or form. It is only an outlet for ppl to complain about something the EULA/TOS has already taken care of. You don't like it well guess what......your "issue" is covered in the EULA/TOS, read that. You are NOT promised, gauranteed, slotted, or otherwise entitled to any name for any character. All names are UNIQUE and FIRST SOME FIRST SERVE. You CHOOSE to move to another server knowing full well what may or may not happen to your character name. Now deal with it PROPERLY.

I don't see a problem with this thread as long as an opertunity to smugly tell others how it is is never lost :rolleyes:

Well, I finally transferred over my characters, the news of enforced server merges was no surprise so I thought I may as well bite the bullet and get the free pet :)

I think I only got to keep one of my 8 names but luckily I'm not too attached to any of my names in an MMO and my legacy stayed the same which is the only thing I did care about. Something sad about leaving the server you started on behind but then it had become a ghost town. Luckily my US characters are on a populated server so no danger of them being renamed.

Edited by Cordelia

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.