Same gender relationships clarifications?

elexier

Quinn is redeemable because of his back story. Pierce is redeemable because he has a multifaceted personality, he just tries to only show one side. Ashara's an idiot, but she has the chance to expand out beyond the territory of her idiocy. DS Jaesa, likewise, can be made more interesting with an expanded storyline. Skadge has literally no redeeming qualities; he's like the dirt you pull from your shoe after going through a muddy, manure covered field. I would have been ecstatic to have left him on Belsavis as the Empire and Republic fought their futile claims over that hunk of rock. I see houks and I'm happy to kill them because I can imagine they're legions of Skadge.

The moment he threatened the girlfriend of the Smuggler I was chasing, I wanted to kill him then and there.

My BH, who is my first 50, ignores Skadge completely. Well, him and Gault. I don't like Gault much. It's why I love the idea of being able to exchange companions.

I have given some thought to what I proposed earlier....I was wondering about modifying it so that you can also 'hire' companions, but only if you replace a given companion and only after the point you would normally get one. Say, you stop at Vaiken or whatever the Republic equivalent is, and there's a booth somewhere where you can hire/replace a companion you don't like. Additionally, there would be available for purchase every different appearance that is available in the game for the companions except for those that are set aside for special purchases.

I'd also love it if it would also only give us the option to see the apperances available for just our class' companions.

On my Agent, I enjoy all of my companions....I just love listening to Scorpio, though. I get along with everyone else.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never played BH past lvl 15, so I have no idea who this Skadge guy is. I just can't imagine he's that bad considering there are some other pretty ruthless/evil companions around (like DS Jaesa...though I guess even she at least respects my SW and possibly loves her in some way).

I don't really like the idea of swapping companions for others who are more desirable as I feel it would take a lot of effort and the overall quality of the companion interactions would suffer.

Edited by stuffystuffs

I have given some thought to what I proposed earlier....I was wondering about modifying it so that you can also 'hire' companions, but only if you replace a given companion and only after the point you would normally get one. Say, you stop at Vaiken or whatever the Republic equivalent is, and there's a booth somewhere where you can hire/replace a companion you don't like. Additionally, there would be available for purchase every different appearance that is available in the game for the companions except for those that are set aside for special purchases.

I'd also love it if it would also only give us the option to see the apperances available for just our class' companions.

I have been thinking about it too. Ideally* what I'd like would be if they made twice as many companions and took the requirement to take them off entirely - so, say, you're on your Jedi Knight. You come across Mr Lord Scourge (whom, for the record, I think is awesome). Your JK doesn't like those pureblood animals, though, and won't work with a Sith for any amount of nerf-meat in the galaxy. So when he says, 'Hey I'm on your side (in a sense),' you could say, 'You know what? No thanks. I'd rather not be killed in my bed.' He goes, 'Fine, die, see if I care,' and leaves.

Then, very soon after, you run into Dandelion Smith, an Imperial Royal Guard who's decided she doesn't like this stinkin' Empire no more, because they're a pack of unpleasantness. She doesn't have the same info as Scourge but she has similar info, the right pieces to put into the puzzle to be able to solve it in a conversation or two, rather than have Scourge go, 'PLOT EXPOSITION!' all over your face. Dandelion is a melee tank, filling Scourge's role nicely, so no loss of companion role.

There are issues with this as some companions are actually required for class progress (with no desire to spit out spoilers I'll say that T7 is one of them - he's the first companion you get as a JK and he's needed for the very last JK quest). That would be fixed by saying that you CAN take anyone you like - but for Reasons you'll be at a notable (but not actually unresolvably crippling) disadvantage if you do.

* = I say 'ideally' because I don't think it'll ever happen due to financial reasons.

Edited by Kioma

I have been thinking about it too. Ideally* what I'd like would be if they made twice as many companions and took the requirement to take them off entirely - so, say, you're on your Jedi Knight. You come across Mr Lord Scourge (whom, for the record, I think is awesome). Your JK doesn't like those pureblood animals, though, and won't work with a Sith for any amount of nerf-meat in the galaxy. So when he says, 'Hey I'm on your side (in a sense),' you could say, 'You know what? No thanks. I'd rather not be killed in my bed.' He goes, 'Fine, die, see if I care,' and leaves.

Then, very soon after, you run into Dandelion Smith, an Imperial Royal Guard who's decided she doesn't like this stinkin' Empire no more, because they're a pack of unpleasantness. She doesn't have the same info as Scourge but she has similar info, the right pieces to put into the puzzle to be able to solve it in a conversation or two, rather than have Scourge go, 'PLOT EXPOSITION!' all over your face. Dandelion is a melee tank, filling Scourge's role nicely, so no loss of companion role.

There are issues with this as some companions are actually required for class progress (with no desire to spit out spoilers I'll say that T7 is one of them - he's the first companion you get as a JK and he's needed for the very last JK quest). That would be fixed by saying that you CAN take anyone you like - but for Reasons you'll be at a notable (but not actually unresolvably crippling) disadvantage if you do.

* = I say 'ideally' because I don't think it'll ever happen due to financial reasons.

I love that idea too :)

Well, 1.4 has now hit the PTR. I may go ahead and actually hit the PTR a bit to check it all out.

I sometimes think they get rid of posts when we're not looking so that they don't have to create five or six more of these threads.

hahahaha, that's a possibility :) , I know one of my posts disappeared, but i think it was due to that post being part of some kind of quarrel with a not very friendly visitor. Anyway, I don't know, perhaps they have increased the memory they needed for larger threads or whatever. In any case, considering all its incarnations, this is by far the largest thread i've seen in my life!

Edited by rahadnak

2) I don't like the idea of a sexual preference selection both due to it being another form of toggle and because, for example, Doc will hit on anything in a skirt and that's his character. If my JK is a lesbian (she's not, she's bi) that shouldn't change his initial reaction to her. I do think there should be an option to tell him, 'Sorry, I like girls' and have him simply shrug it off and back off respectfully, and thus sexual preferences should be taken into account, but I feel it should be a firmly in-game dialogue-based act.

The key point there is that I think an NPC should back off respectfully, or at least gracefully, unless it runs completely counter to the NPC's character to do so (in which case the dialogue option [Force Diss] may be appropriate). And if they simply can't back down peacefully, well, I don't see any problem with losing rep with that character. A couple of make-nice gifts covers the loss anyway and I don't mind having an NPC I actively don't like (which to me is a sign of good writing) lose affection with me.

In the specific case of Doc, when you tell him you like girls, I think that before he backs off, he should respond that he likes girls with girls, just to really cement in his pig image. Maybe just steal another bit from Firefly: "...I'll be in my bunk." :D

Although you know who I think would take it the worst would be Corso, who gets ideas above his station pretty much right away and continues to act like he has some sort of claim to you even if you don't pursue a relationship. Creepy stalker guys always have the most trouble getting "I don't like boys, go away" through their heads...

5) I would love to see equal numbers of heterosexual and non-heterosexual companions. I frankly don't think it'll happen but I'm entirely willing to be delightfully surprised.

This one is kind of why I'm hoping that they do in fact add new companions. Yes, Kira and Vette need to wake up and realize their love for my characters, but also it would be nice to have some companions who are only available for same-gender romance, to go with the ones who are only available for het romance and the ones that go either way.

8) All romance chains, both OGRAs and SGRAs, should have the option of leading to marriage. It shouldn't be enforced but it should be an option.

I'm still bitter about my Agent being forced to marry a man on Voss. Why couldn't I have married the sister instead? Or come up with some other way entirely to get what I needed? Also, apparently I'm still married to him, even after I got what I needed out of the arrangement. At least they didn't force me to kiss him, ugh. "The things I do for my Empire."

Yes, Kira and Vette need to wake up and realize their love for my characters,

It's more like, the PC needs to wake up XD

It's possible that certain companions are totally into a SGRA with the PC but the problem is that the PC cannot pursue it...b/c....you can only RP as straight or not interested.

Edited by stuffystuffs

It's more like, the PC needs to wake up XD

It's possible that certain companions are totally into a SGRA with the PC but the problem is that the PC cannot pursue it...b/c....you can only RP as straight or not interested.

I think Corso is just shy. He'll bring it up some day. ;)

I'm still bitter about my Agent being forced to marry a man on Voss. Why couldn't I have married the sister instead? Or come up with some other way entirely to get what I needed? Also, apparently I'm still married to him, even after I got what I needed out of the arrangement. At least they didn't force me to kiss him, ugh. "The things I do for my Empire."

I'm planning on sending an assassin after him as soon as I can. He has a little accident sipping tea or slipping in the kitchen and I'm a widow who can collect all his stuff. But, I agree...why couldn't I marry his sister, she has lovely red skin...

I think it would be an entirely valid ting if you couldn't marry the sister because their society won't allow and/or recognise it. However as there's no question, currently, of an SGRA equivalent of that conversation there's no reason the question of marrying the sister would even come up.

Voss society is still very insular and xenophobic, and very new to the galactic stage. I can imagine they might be, shall we say, a little backward in some respects.

I haven't seen the conversation in question so I couldn't say if it's 'realistic' that there might be another way to attain what the Agent is after, but if it's a matter of being part of the family then they could have at least given the option of the Voss family adopting the Agent.

I don't really like having male companions when I'm out and about. Though, I have to admit to liking Vector as a friend. Still....I vote for having whoever is voicing Scorpio do the voice for the Agent''s lesbian love interest....I just find her voice sooooo sexy :o

I don't really like having male companions when I'm out and about. Though, I have to admit to liking Vector as a friend. Still....I vote for having whoever is voicing Scorpio do the voice for the Agent''s lesbian love interest....I just find her voice sooooo sexy :o

Deborah Unger does the voice of SCORPIO. First saw her in a Highlander movie and WOW!

Almost certainly not going to happen. They seem very keen on none of the companions having the same voice actors (though I may be wrong about that).

Almost certainly not going to happen. They seem very keen on none of the companions having the same voice actors (though I may be wrong about that).

They come sort of close with Risha and Holiday both having the same VA, but at least those are in different classes. I don't think I'd like having two companions on the same character with the same VA, unless they were one of the really talented ones that can actually sound like multiple completely different people. Like, I love Jen Hale to death, but FemShep I mean F!Troop and Satele sound pretty similar, obvious when she's talking to herself during flashpoint intro/outros. :)

Wouldn't adding SGRs change the game's ESRB "E" rating to "M" for adding in sexual themes? All of this below is taken directly from the ESRB website:

E - EVERYONE

Titles rated E (Everyone) have content that may be suitable for ages 6 and older. Titles in this category may contain minimal cartoon, fantasy or mild violence and/or infrequent use of mild language.

M - MATURE

Titles rated M (Mature) have content that may be suitable for persons ages 17 and older. Titles in this category may contain intense violence, blood and gore, sexual content and/or strong language.

Sexual Themes - References to sex or sexuality

Wouldn't adding SGRs change the game's ESRB "E" rating to "M" for adding in sexual themes? All of this below is taken directly from the ESRB website:

Look at the bottom of this page, dude. It's not E. It's T. And no, it wouldn't. Same sex matters are treated by the ESRB (arguably) exactly the same as opposite sex matters.

And even if it did, so what? There's explicit torture in this game. Forget guys snogging, this game already has content very dubious to the Teen rating that the game has.

Wouldn't adding SGRs change the game's ESRB "E" rating to "M" for adding in sexual themes?

No, because the game already contains romances. Same-gender romances probably would not be any more sexual than the current opposite-gender romances.

To paraphrase a character in a book I read recently, "If it's fine for a man to talk about his girlfriend at work, why is it somehow inappropriate for me to talk about mine just because I'm a woman, even if all I'm saying is that we went to the movies?"

No, the ESRB has specifically stated that ratings are based on the amount of sexual content, not the sexualities involved. Basically, if you have a girl and a boy kissing or two girls kissing, it gets the same rating.

The ESRB ratings are fairly complicated, and I have issues with the way they deal with same sex content. I really doubt TOR will get a ratings change though. The short version is that the ESRB ratings are based on categories of content with the option of additional arbitrary descriptors of "Mild" and "Extreme" added based on a panels opinion of the presentation of content. In theory if a same sex kiss or completely non-explicit homosexual relationship are present in an otherwise K rated game it should just be tagged as having "Extreme Sexual Themes." Which doesn't really mean anything, but is meant to give fair warning that there is content about sexuality some people may find objectionable. In practice the ESRB has hardly ever used the Extreme Sexual Themes tag and tend to kick same sex content up to the harsher category of Mild Sexual Content (which is a warning that automatically sets the rating of a game as T or M).

Here is a better question, even if they did change the rating would it matter? Studies show the vast majority of MMO players are college aged, with the trend tending towards players being older than that rather than younger. Parents don't like kids, especially teenagers, playing MMOs. Why should EA devote that much worry to a group that doesn't play the game anyway?