What is the largest factor for a above avg PvPer?

Whitelightr

Was reading some threads that got me to thinking: What do you consider to be the big factor in determining a INDIVIDUAL'S level of skill? Not talking about gear, or running in a premade or anything. Im talking about things a player can do on their own.

For me it revolves around situational awareness. If a player has that, then they have more player skill than most. Im always amazed (and I shouldn't be) how many players lack this though. Someone diving into the pit with the huttball and they'll stand on the ledge (charge target) or not realize that there is probably a stealther waiting for a pass. And many times I've seen people pounding on the ball carrier and ignoring his teammate on the side ramp waiting for a pass. Lost count of how many passes I've ruined with a well timed/placed enemy PULL.

Just feels like situational awareness makes the largest difference. You'll notice things being set-up, can get an idea of a shift in enemy tactics, can avoid tunnel-vision and KILL THE HEALERS lol.

So what do you all think makes someone stand out in PvP? (Remember, in reguards to player skill only)

Situational awareness, positioning, target selection, when to use interrupts, knowing how to kite, use los when necessary, try and predict burst damage onto yourself, knowing your rotations, understanding CC, How to defend effectively, where to stand etc... list goes on really.

I do all of the above and on all my characters I get very good results, so much so that I can embarrasses high level players on my low level alts. Just yesterday, soloing a level 49 sorc on my level 11 vanguard :)

After Kill the Healers the biggest factor is Persistance(play, play, play) Play your main, Play your alts. Play it like you stole it! You learn the maps, you learn the goals, you learn the tricks, you learn the classes. Then you learn how to play! it's like in martial arts, the black belt really only means you've mastered the basics! Play on!

Communication depends on team work. Anyone cooperating over VOIP with someone else, will have a huge advantage. But that goes without saying.

You don't really get more 'skilled' at talking over VOIP or not. You just do it or don't. If you do, and are in a premade, you will hugely out-perform the other side if they're not also coordinated.

But this isn't 'skill' so much as preparation. I'd put it in the same category as gear, TBH.

For me, the main thing, which everyone claims or thinks they have, but which in fact, most are sorely deficient in, and don't even begin to know how to get better in, is situational awareness.

Most people can acquire enough awareness, eventually, to know to go after the healer first, or to see the ninja capping the door behind them. VERY FEW develop the awareness to recognize what the other player they're fighting is doing or thinking about doing. Part of the reason is that you can play 10,000 games as a Gunslinger, and until you've thoroughly researched another class or played as one, you still won't know what they're capable of.

Players who can work as a team with PuGs and/or without voicechat really stand out to me. Situational awareness and (nonverbal) communication are important for that.

Granted, it doesn't take much to stand out in PvP in my experience...for some classes, just executing a basic DPS rotation optimally will set you apart :)

Situational Awareness is probably one of the few things in Pvp that cannot be taught. And despite what anyone says, High end PvP requires talent, and as hard as it is to believe, some people are just natural at it, and not just with video games.

Situational Awareness is largely just a passive trait some people are naturally born with.

Would you define Situational Awareness as knowing that the enemy stealther(s) is going to try and ninja-plant the opposite door on VS when only one bridge is open? Because I see it more as trial and error, to be honest. You've seen it happen once, or done it yourself, and are now aware that this is something that works and something people do.

Situational Awareness is more knowing how to move in regards to positioning with your team, recognizing where to go and when to go there. I.E. reading the play, which is indeed something that is difficult to do. Those that are fighting the first person they see in Huttball have no Situational Awareness, or if they do, they just don't actually give a crap about Huttball, which is equally possible.

defending your medic the longer he lives the longer you get healed.

communication is key always call incomings the number of incs and call clears when clear.

situational awareness is key if your defending two caps and you have a 3 on 1 or a 5 on 2 its a good time to move to the other cap.

use of the overhead map, i like to pop it when i'm in the cloning area to see where I might be needed.

having good gear is always a plus

A word used often by a member before was Cognizant and it is the key word for everything. If you are cognizant then you are aware on many things, your class, the map, the potential issues/tactics in the WZ etc. Communicating is part of that but then again if you are not aware on what is happening or about to happen then even communication itself can be a bad element.

A good player will always have the ability to see whats happening and how to best handle a situation, such as guarding or attacking times etc or reading where pressure is and needs help, watching doors etc etc

Situational awareness is a fairly broad-strokes thing that you could put within a rather sizeable context as it covers anything from being 'acceptable' (knowing to fight 'on the node' to prevent cap) to extremely advanced.

I think being among the "very good" breaks into two categories:

1.Seeing the warzone from a macro rather then micro perspective-- This comes by virtue of playing it like a chess mass, utilizing movement, timing, and positioning as much as damage or healing to dictate the outcome.

2.Knowing the class opposite you as well as your own class

Some basic examples of what I mean--

Chess match--

Huttball-- instead of leaping to the hard-to-kill ballcarrier and attack spamming him, wait until he is over a fire trap and leap--choke/stasis him. Even a tank with great reflexes and his cc-breaker up will still eat enough damage usually to be in a rough spot.

Alderaan/Denova-- Knowing help is delayed and kiting, only doing damage to interrupt caps. This also includes stealth classes waiting until the capper is at 6-7 seconds before interrupting to buy that much extra time before even iniating combat.

Voidstar-- Initiating combat and facing defenders away from the door for a stealther to cap right behind the opposition.

Employing well-timed mez's/knockbacks/stuns/etc. to allow a teammate to complete an objective

Knowing your opponent--

CCing a guarded by the force mara/sent

Not trying to cc/knockback the guard/jugg the instant he leaps

Saving your stun on a scoundrel/op healer for right when he hits that 30% spam-heal mark

Knowing what abilities to interrupt on any given class

The list could be huge but the general point is made, both an objective-centric situational awareness, and a class-specific one as well.

For a secondary aspect I'd add being willing to make yourself a cog in your operation group be it pug or premade instead of a standout. Being willing to sacrifice eye-popping scoreboard numbers in exchange for doing little things that won't show up on a scoreboard and contribute ultimately to winning.

Its a series of attributes, unlike a chain though its more about identifing your weaknesses and your strenghts and playing on them.

A list for your satisfaction should include this and i guess some others:

Hand eye coordination

In depth understanding of class mechanics and understanding how to make his class perform at any given moment.

A thorough understanding of his opponents critical abilities (what to avoid and how, and the tactical tools at enemies disposal)

A good feel for your team.

Situational awareness on team/enemy and objective positions and how certain players/classes change that dynamic.

Communication skills (relaying and responding to critical information)

so by braking it down, the largest factor, is playing to your strengh and not letting opponents play on your weaknesses (ranging from protecting the undergeared ppl on your team to avoiding unwanted 1v1s vs a class with an advantage over yours)

It's a very good question. As a PvPer you know you are ahead of the curve and rising to the top when the following start to occur to you in a war zone (in no particular order of importance).

1. you zone into the war zone. All the other PvPers subconsciously move away from you and form a rough circular formation with you at the center of it (there are variants on the shape, but the herd gathering around the star is what is going on here).

2. the opossing faction (or even opposing same faction side) start performing spectacular ganking stunts on you in revenge, you are pulled into the acid bath in the pit and then multi stunned until you eventually die, and the opposing team aren't bothering to actually play the huttball while doing it (watching your character die has become more important than wining!).

3. you are solo guarding a node in PvP and the stealth operative/assassin just does stealth stuns on you for most of the match not daring to try it one-on-one.

4. you are in mostly war hero gear.

5. you start using social features of the game to complement your PvP moves.

6. people are scared to dual you.

7. you really need a rank of at least conqueror or above, anything less just won't do.

8. it takes 2-4 of the opposing side to kill you.

9. Maruraders find you a tough nut to crack (assuming you aren't a maurauder yourself for this point).

10. You use the most complicated rotations available to your class routinely in PvP, and use at least 10 buttons (not movement buttons) regularly when you use your magic bag of tricks in warzones PvP matches.

Edited by Ewgal

The largest factor is gear and playing the overpowered class. Both of those make you above average by definition.

But if you're looking for skill-based stuff, the biggest skill is awareness of the map. It can be as simple as realizing if you're the last guy at a node then you probably have to stay behind to guard it even if it's a gross mismatch for your class capabilities.