The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

F2P up to Level 15.

Would it be considered cheating if I made a toon with one of these accounts for the sole purpose of just using him for crew skills to send to my main toon?

I think they would place heavy restrictions on the trials so this couldnt happen.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Level 15? Not a big deal. It's roughly 1-3 days of playing depending on how much time you have available. It gets you off your home world, your first companion and let's you get a taste of crafting and your class story. It's an extended demo. Power to them.

Would it be considered cheating if I made a toon with one of these accounts for the sole purpose of just using him for crew skills to send to my main toon?

Nope... but I would imagine there is some content restriction.. maybe even mail/chat etc.. but not tried it so dont know.. plus I am unsure if there is a time limit on the trial.. so only way to find out.. is give it a go.. them PM me so I can do the same and we can flood the GTN together :)

People like that, and I'm sorry if you are one of them, are a disease and directly NEGATIVELY effect the already wounded community.

We know merges are coming. We know that new content is coming. We know that they are adding rated WZ's. Either shut up and wait for them, or leave. Griping endlessly about how its taking to long adds NOTHING worth reading/hearing to the conversations.

Actually I will continue to gripe because we don't know if or when server merges is coming. We know character transfers are, and we know they WANT to implement a super server of some sought. Just saying they are going to do something and actually putting it in the game are two different things. After what was revealed at MCM, even having it in the game does not mean they will enable it if it does not meet their standards(ranked warzones,Emmanuel Lusinchi).

Why you ask that I continue to gripe? It's because I care. If I did not then I would not have subscribed to play and logged into the forums. People leaving and not caring about the future of this game is worse then people staying and complaining. We all know the whiners are also the people that get giddy when they get what they want finally.

Anyone who thinks this is bad just does not understand mmos these days. The "wow took 6 years to have a free trial" arguement just doesnt hold water, wow also took years to have an lfg tool and dual specs, does that mean a new mmo should wait to add those features too? Free trials are the new norm for MMO's all mmos are and will do them in the future as soon as the hype that gets people to buy the game without actualy trying it has died down.

Giving a free trial is a very ballsy move, if you think your game is crappy why on earth would you let people try it before they bought it?

Personaly i dont even buy mmos anymore without trying them first, since throwing money away on so many mmos the last few years like WAR, AOC, Tabula Rasa the list goes on and on, I did not buy Rift until they gave me a free trial and i did not buy Tera because it has no free trial. I didnt buy GW2 yet either because i have not tried the beta yet.

I am of the opinion that F2P is a bad sign for Bioware - however, I agree with the above.

I think F2P (with restriction, as will be the case with ToR) is the direction MMOs are going. However, I disagree with the poster in that I think Bioware didn't go F2P because they WANTED to, but rather because they were forced to.

the REASON for the change being the major factor. if they launched with a 1-15 F2P, then it would make perfect sense.

I am of the opinion that F2P is a bad sign for Bioware - however, I agree with the above.

I think F2P (with restriction, as will be the case with ToR) is the direction MMOs are going. However, I disagree with the poster in that I think Bioware didn't go F2P because they WANTED to, but rather because they were forced to.

the REASON for the change being the major factor. if they launched with a 1-15 F2P, then it would make perfect sense.

Being able to try the game up to level 15 is in no way f2p, i just cant even begin to wonder how people can call it f2p. Its a free trial, just like if they gave you 7 days or 2 weeks to play like other games have tried in the past. Only with a level cap you can try other classes and dont have to open a new trial account every time you decide you want to come back and try the game.

Who on earth is going to play the game stuck at level 15 for very long? they will either buy it or they will go do something else. That is a sales gimmick, not f2p.

When i bought my new jeep i test drove a few first, the guy said take it around the block a few times, i didnt say wooohooo! free jeep!

Edited by Mallorik

Being able to try the game up to level 15 is in no way f2p, i just cant even begin to wonder how people can call it f2p. Its a free trial, just like if they gave you 7 days or 2 weeks to play like other games have tried in the past. Only with a level cap you can try other classes and dont have to open a new trial account every time you decide you want to come back and try the game.

Who on earth is going to play the game stuck at level 15 for very long? they will either buy it or they will go do something else. That is a sales gimmick, not f2p.

When i bought my new jeep i test drove a few first, the guy said take it around the block a few times, i didnt say wooohooo! free jeep!

i guess you selectively ignored my post where i indicated "with restriction"?

that would be like, you know, going for a test drive, with the restriction that you have to give it back?

nah - too complicated of a concept to understand, i guess.

I'm sure doomsayers will take this as yet another reason to cry about doom and gloom.

The fact of the matter is most MMO's today (including the Industry leader WoW which I'm sure those same people will continue to worship) are almost expected to be Free to Play for low levels.

Its how they stay competitive in gaining new subscribers.

Its not a big deal, but like I said, people will still use it an excuse to say this game is dying/dead.

If only half the people complaining here on the forums have active Subs, the game is more than fine.

I'm sure doomsayers will take this as yet another reason to cry about doom and gloom.

The fact of the matter is most MMO's today (including the Industry leader WoW which I'm sure those same people will continue to worship) are almost expected to be Free to Play for low levels.

Its how they stay competitive in gaining new subscribers.

Its not a big deal, but like I said, people will still use it an excuse to say this game is dying/dead.

If only half the people complaining here on the forums have active Subs, the game is more than fine.

Actually if you don't have an active sub you can not post on the forums.

Let's be honest here. There might be 10k folks who post in here and that is likely a stretch. F2P up to getting your ship and walking around it is a fair compromise. It will get folks excited about "traveling" around the TOR universe.

Honestly the more people able to check out this game that are too worried to buy it or just try it a few days is a good thing. This game has gotten so much bad press lately that this can only be a good thing.

From what I understand, it's FTP up to level 15 for the month of July only.

The sky isn't falling people.

Im pretty sure its just starting in july and will be permanent. But another thing that i get from this announcement is that they plan to have this game back on track by july, transfers and probably 1.3. They would really have to be idiots to release a free trial before they even start to fix it.

Im pretty sure its just starting in july and will be permanent. But another thing that i get from this announcement is that they plan to have this game back on track by july, transfers and probably 1.3. They would really have to be idiots to release a free trial before they even start to fix it.

Yeah BW said new trial level cap of 15 from now on.

Thing is since they're raising the level cap with either 1.4 or 1.5 (I will be pissed if it's 1.6) then there will be 40 levels that the trial people don't get. I think they're raising the trial cap partly because they are raising the sub level cap.

From what I've heard 1.3 will be out in early July. 1.4 will be out between mid september and mid October and 1.5 will come out in late december or early january. But I'm really not sure about 1.4 and 1.5 since they're both way bigger than 1.3 (Allies). Still I'm fairly certain 1.3 will be out in early/mid July so I think that the new trial level 15 cap is being patched alongside the rest of 1.3:rak_01:

There will be alot less doomsayers as soon as the "free time" expires. I post here, cause I'm interested in whats going on with the game, but I haven't logged on in over a week(not cause I hate the game or anything, its just impossible to do anything with 5 people on the server)

As soon as the free time expires 90% of the doomsayers will be gone. You'll still have "mr unrealistic" that plays the game, but thinks it will fail long term if Bioware doesn't implement a Wookie jedi swim team mind you, but those people are posting negatively as they believe it will get them what they want.

$15/month + $60 for game purchase = $150 investment into 5-6 MONTHS of gaming. If this is too much of an investment for you over half a year of gaming than I propose that maybe a subscription model game isn't the right move for you.

What sort of argument is this, anyhow?

"If you can't tolerate buying a pile of crap for $150 then maybe you shouldn't shop here, buddy."

People supported this game and stuck around, despite the community falling apart around them. Now, the responses to complaints are "If you don't like it, get out," which only serves to further the population decline. I'm glad that I'm not resubscribing; it'll save the the trouble of being part of the lonely little 100-player community with that attitude.

There will be alot less doomsayers as soon as the "free time" expires. I post here, cause I'm interested in whats going on with the game, but I haven't logged on in over a week(not cause I hate the game or anything, its just impossible to do anything with 5 people on the server)

As soon as the free time expires 90% of the doomsayers will be gone. You'll still have "mr unrealistic" that plays the game, but thinks it will fail long term if Bioware doesn't implement a Wookie jedi swim team mind you, but those people are posting negatively as they believe it will get them what they want.

No it won't sadly.

They said that after the beta all the naysayers would leave, they didn't, then they said after the free month, but no they didn't, then they said after a couple of months they would leave, they didn't. They'll never leave, and saying otherwise is just as wrong as those who has kept claiming since launch it will be closed within a month.

What sort of argument is this, anyhow?

"If you can't tolerate buying a pile of crap for $150 then maybe you shouldn't shop here, buddy."

People supported this game and stuck around, despite the community falling apart around them. Now, the responses to complaints are "If you don't like it, get out," which only serves to further the population decline. I'm glad that I'm not resubscribing; it'll save the the trouble of being part of the lonely little 100-player community with that attitude.

It's the american way. If you are in a situation that you find to be less than satisfactory, get yourself out of that situation. It applies to all aspects of life and really is the best policy to live by.

Maybe in a perfect world people can barter for games, but in this world, we're told what to pay and we have a choice: yes or no

The population decline is a culmination of quite a few different things. However, I see no problem with telling people who want to change the game I like into a game I don't like, to get the ... out. This applies to all things SWTOR, not just this topic per say.

Edited by Holden_Dissent