Prior to TORs release, did you ever think SWG would outlast it?

blur

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

theres 33 republic players on my server currently online. It's pretty dead.

There is a difference between dead and too many servers. SWTOR has more than enough players, the problem is bioware had too low of a cap on servers and opened too many servers.

Three weeks into SWG...

Standing at a mission kiosk, just outside the Corellian spaceport, CAN NOT get a mission because the servers can't generate the missions as fast as the people crowding around the kiosk (this is literally THOUSANDS of people) were taking them, finishing them, and returning to turn them in. I remember no elbow room in that HUGE courtyard!! So I went into the countryside to kill some beasts, and was killed by the rubber banding, caused by the HUNDREDS of other people around me doing the same thing! (pissed me off so bad I quit for a month).

How does that add up to this population?? The beginning of SWG was insane! Population SO huge they had to create MANY servers instead of a few. (I suspect this is why WE have so many dead servers here?)

The issue with SWG was they slowly ruined the game, catering to the whiners. Where they originally said there would ONLY be Jedi who, by some miracle succeeded at a series of nearly impossible missions. That only 1% of the population would EVER succeed at becoming a Jedi! They instead made everyone equal. Thus ruining the game! (among many other issues).

The thing SWG had this doesn't have is a live open feel. It's a series of missions leading to ???? You feel like your in an elaborate hallway. AGAIN everyone is about equal.

Then add low population. Something at least a few servers still avoided right up to the end of SWG. (One was still high pop at the end!!). I played on Ahazi BTW. it was one of the evacuated servers once server transfer didn't cost real money.

Because, from where most realists are sitting, TORs not going to last as long as SWG did.

Realists? HAH! Naysaying doomsdayers running around like chicken little screaming the sky is falling is more like it.

There are more people playing the game than there are on the forums complaining about it.

I had more fun in one day's play on SWG than 6 months on TOR. I just don't think TOR has a lasting core that's built on anything more than milk the IP for top dollar disgard like dirty rag.

And with the current decision makers in place. I'd be surprised if it lasted half as long... nay shocked!! Wouldn't call myself a doom mongerer but the faster this 'MMO' nose dives the quicker someone might do something about it. And TOR can't get ANY worse... can it?

I agree, I think that the community is split into nice people who go on the forums (like Dulfy), unsubbed ragers that dominate the forums (like the writers of those cliche SWTOR-is-horrible posts that pop up every day), and everyone else who is smart enough not to go on the forums at all.

There are a number of nice folks that are unsubbing though for a variety of reasons. We may come back, we may not. I like this game. It just lost its long term appeal for me for a variety of reasons. Although I may be unsubbing, I've never felt that I've "raged" in any of my posts. Just trying to give me feedback in hopefully a constructive way... and to discuss the things I really enjoy. MMOs!!

One edit about some of the doom and gloom posts and the game failing within a year. I think that SWTOR will settle into a nice groove at some point and be a great place for Star Wars fans. I just don't see them pulling the plug on this game any time soon. To say that this game will fail within a year is a bit like Chicken Little. Won't happen.

Edited by Florial

<snip>

Numbers don't make a good game, gameplay, replay-ability and longativity make a good game. Just because WoW has 10 million subs doesn't mean it's the greatest game of all time. It just means it's the easiest to get into.

Nonsense.

While popularity doesn't automatically mean quality, it does not automatically mean anything else either.

The only thing you can infer is that it's a computer game millions upon millions wanted to spend their money on subscriptions for.

Niche or 'big launch, but many people left' doesn't mean automatic quality either.

It is quite possible that the millions who enjoy(ed) WoW thought it the best MMO of all time thus far and the people who left SWG thought it the worst game of all time. There's no way to tell without asking them. So instead of trying to pull down another game simply because it's popular and you might dislike it; you might need to form some arguments which are actually logical.

If you like a game, fine, but don't think for a second that it means anything other than you liking that game.

Edited by xandax

If it's SWG code before SOE totally ruined it, I'm first in line :)

Gosh... imagine that... a sandbox game for people who can think. Back on the market.

You mean before LucasArts ruined it. LucasArts forced SOE to implement the NGE system so that it could "compete" with WoW. :D

I had more fun in one day's play on SWG than 6 months on TOR.

This.

I remember the day when I started playing SWG, I got invited to a guild, someone crafted me a set of chitin armor, gave me a swoop speeder AND a house and invited me to join their player city. Later that night, we got into a huge group and went to Dathomir to hunt nightsisters and rancors. I've never had so much fun in an MMO, ever, and that was in just ONE day.

I can say without the shadow of a doubt that I've haven't experienced one such memorable moment in this game.

Edited by Broodix

Simple question.

Prior to TORs release, did you ever think SWG would outlast it?

Because, from where most realists are sitting, TORs not going to last as long as SWG did.

It's a pretty mind-blowing concept, frankly. Especially considering how horrible most people think SWG was.

If anything SWG:NGE showed a game can last a long time with a very small population....

The hating on SWG started as soon as they started to WoWify it. Oh the irony. Now every MMO is a WoWclone because managers still believe the big money is only in that concept and nowhere else.

SWG only lasted for 9 years because the great roots SWG had were not changed, the vast open world planets remained, the players being able to be part of an economy and the housing. Then the space flight, PvP space combat, flying from space into planets atmospheres. Imagine SWG would be remade today for 2012 with all tech specs available today! Done in a modern engine like Cryengine or Unreal3 engine... with BW storylines and some warzones and flashpoints... want.. have.. now... take my credit card charge whatever you want!!

Edited by Lord_Ravenhurst

This.

I remember the day when I started playing SWG, I got invited to a guild, someone crafted me a set of chitin armor, gave me a swoop speeder AND a house and invited me to join their player city. Later that night, we got into a huge group and went to Dathomir to hunt nightsisters and rancors. I've never had so much fun in an MMO, ever, and that was in just ONE day.

I can say without the shadow of a doubt that I've haven't experienced one such memorable moment in this game.

SWG was my first MMO and set the standards high in what a MMO can be, a virtual world you can play in.... But then WOW came out and it gave everyone a fast fix of action and Themepark MMO's became very popular and every MMO after that tried to copy it, even SWG tried to remake itself in WOW's image..... huge mistake IMO..

Problem with Themepark MMO's is there fun for a short period of time, after that it's just the same repeatable content over and over again.... There's no tools for players to create their own content like SWG allowed..... you can't create your own niche in the game like you could in SWG.... In SWG I was one of the top 5 weapon smith crafters on my server, I had a loyal clientele and I spent a lot of time making sure I found the best resources to make my weapons with.... Now ALL MMO's are based around combat only.... it's just shoot this shoot that.... Thats all you do.... There are no other aspects to Themepark MMO's other then blowing stuff up.... Sure thats fun but you need other things to do also...

Edited by Monoth

The hating on SWG started as soon as they started to WoWify it. Oh the irony. Now every MMO is a WoWclone because managers still believe the big money is only in that concept and nowhere else.

SWG only lasted for 9 years because the great roots SWG had were not changed, the vast open world planets remained, the players being able to be part of an economy and the housing. Then the space flight, PvP space combat, flying from space into planets atmospheres. Imagine SWG would be remade today for 2012 with all tech specs available today! Done in a modern engine like Cryengine or Unreal3 engine... with BW storylines and some warzones and flashpoints... want.. have.. now... take my credit card charge whatever you want!!

Exactly a Sandbox with a Themepark in the middle of it.... It would make the perfect MMO....

Now ALL MMO's are based around combat only.... it's just shoot this shoot that.... Thats all you do.... There are no other aspects to Themepark MMO's other then blowing stuff up.... Sure thats fun but you need other things to do also...

...quoted for truth... :(

It´s so disappointing really.

Stop it you're making me drool :p

SWG was a flop after the first couple of months. SOE even admited it before the servers were shut down. The CU and NGE was desperate attempts to recover players. It might have had a lot of features, but most of them didn't work properly and the game ran like crap even on high-end PCs of the time.

Thing is, 3+ years ago SWTOR would have been amazing. But today it feels slightly outdated when we have more technically advanced games on the way, which are F2P based.

Wrong. CU is what started the slide down the slope. Prior to CU the game had a good player base, but someone in charge thought they were right and it needed to be more "Moron" friendly and the exodus began. Then NGE came along, because the same idiot couldn't understand the massive mistake he had just made, and drove a stake though the heart of the game.

If SWG would come out with a pre CU set-up, you would have people lining up around the block to play it. SWG pre CU was a better game then SWTOR is by a long long shot.

Exactly a Sandbox with a Themepark in the middle of it.... It would make the perfect MMO....

Yep.. that would be it.

And I tell, you I think it would work. Keep the square maps for the questing areas, define these questing areas as "hubs" on the planet surface and create vast procedural generated planet landmass around it, so the planets resemble actual planets. Open up village areas for player created housing and player created quests and economy,

Then, enable spaceflight and atmospheric flight and vehicles.

No guess how fast your speeders needed to be, to go across these huge landmasses. Turn on some "Duel of the Fates" themed tracks on as background music for travel -> Star Wars feeling accomplished.

George Lucas, please take the lead on this game and make it Star Wars! :)

Edited by Lord_Ravenhurst

If the two where side by side & running, TOR would probably be open when SWG went down from a too greater dwindling fan base.

Will TOR last 8 odd years? Ofc not. Lucas arts will wan't more money in about 5 years & give the contract to a higher bidder.

Wrong. CU is what started the slide down the slope. Prior to CU the game had a good player base, but someone in charge thought they were right and it needed to be more "Moron" friendly and the exodus began. Then NGE came along, because the same idiot couldn't understand the massive mistake he had just made, and drove a stake though the heart of the game.

If SWG would come out with a pre CU set-up, you would have people lining up around the block to play it. SWG pre CU was a better game then SWTOR is by a long long shot.

No, it really wasn't.

If swtor keeps rift type subs, it will be doing fine, and since its still above rift sub's, I wouldn't worry to much. Of course its not going to be anywhere near wow, no mmo is, but wow is the 8ft freak in the room. All it needs is 250k+ to be a profit.

If swtor keeps rift type subs, it will be doing fine, and since its still above rift sub's, I wouldn't worry to much. Of course its not going to be anywhere near wow, no mmo is, but wow is the 8ft freak in the room. All it needs is 250k+ to be a profit.

A F2P MMO called battlestar online hit the 9.9 million accounts not long ago. It's been out just over a year.