Prior to TORs release, did you ever think SWG would outlast it?

blur

Lol, SWTOR is far from dead. Further away than the doom-mongers in the general forum claim.

Hes kind of right, swtor can still limp along on life support like SWG did for most of its life and prevent a competant company from from using the sw ip for another mmo for years to come.

It would be nice to hear that lucas arts has a clause in their contract that says if the game drops below a certain number of subs they can pull the sw ip or atleaast give it to another mmo.

Im not saying swtor has no chance to come back, just saying that if it doesnt..

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If swtor keeps rift type subs, it will be doing fine, and since its still above rift sub's, I wouldn't worry to much. Of course its not going to be anywhere near wow, no mmo is, but wow is the 8ft freak in the room. All it needs is 250k+ to be a profit.

Since bioware has said a few times that they need 500k subs to keep the game going and add new content where do you get the 250k number? Swtor is not rift, Rift cost a fraction of what swtor did and rift has a very good dev team tht arent stumped by things like x-server tech and server transfers.

A F2P MMO called battlestar online hit the 9.9 million accounts not long ago. It's been out just over a year.

You may be interested to know how f2p are counting the number of account. Well, they just count the number of account. Not active or anything. For example the chinese bot who grind and sell gold, he have like 10-20account. Or this guy who tried the game for 5minutes, he also have an account.

10m account on f2p is the less they can do, and it doesn't mean it successful.

It's all opinion in reality. Personally I loved playing swg, I felt like a kid let loose in a huge galaxy. Some people didn't. Not point in arguing about opinions.

A huge galaxy of screaming mouse droids set loose to rot, blazing houses and gathering buildings, and trash everywhere from being crafted and tossed to gain skill points, because of the most idiotic "quest" to become a jedi ever implemented. Yay! Lets make it to where you grind up random professions as fast as you can to destroy the economy in the hopes its the one you need! Yay! Lets have 3 "health" bars, but only the first to reach zero matters, making any group member targeting mind or action in a health damage centric utterly useless!

There were a few interesting things about SWG, but the base mechanics were simply awful.

The issue with SWG was they slowly ruined the game, catering to the whiners. Where they originally said there would ONLY be Jedi who, by some miracle succeeded at a series of nearly impossible missions. That only 1% of the population would EVER succeed at becoming a Jedi! They instead made everyone equal. Thus ruining the game! (among many other issues).

Actually they made the game less stupid grindy and economy destroying, as opposed to having people level up hair dresser, who had no desire of being a hair dresser, in the vain hope that it was the mastery profession you needed, in the specific ORDER you needed it in, to become a jedi.

I wasnt aware Obi wan had to spend hours begging people to let him give them a ****** haircut before he could be a padawan.

The pre NGE SWG jedi "quest" was so utterly lame, it would have been better if you had to send in a thousand count chocula box tops and a human toe.

Edited by NermalDetonator

A huge galaxy of screaming mouse droids set loose to rot, blazing houses and gathering buildings, and trash everywhere from being crafted and tossed to gain skill points, because of the most idiotic "quest" to become a jedi ever implemented. Yay! Lets make it to where you grind up random professions as fast as you can to destroy the economy in the hopes its the one you need! Yay! Lets have 3 "health" bars, but only the first to reach zero matters, making any group member targeting mind or action in a health damage centric utterly useless!

There were a few interesting things about SWG, but the base mechanics were simply awful.

More or less this among other things.

Your quote is as horrible as it is true -- strange to look back on all the excitement we felt that day back in Oct. 08...

I felt the excitement in 2006. Should've went with the Unreal engine instead.

imho the initial idea and vision for SWG was ahead of it's time back then.

Imagine a proper Star Wars Galaxies 2 developed by passionate, creative and visionary developers to both Star Wars and game features/mechanics in a more or less sandboxy setting with the tech and tools we have today..

Say.. Star Wars Galaxies - The Clone Wars or something.

imho the initial idea and vision for SWG was ahead of it's time back then.

Imagine a proper Star Wars Galaxies 2 developed by passionate, creative and visionary developers to both Star Wars and game features/mechanics in a more or less sandboxy setting with the tech and tools we have today..

Say.. Star Wars Galaxies - The Clone Wars or something.

Careful when asking for sandbox games, apparently they all fail.

I played SWG for 3 years and had a blast. SWG wasn't for everyone though, MMO's designed by Raph Koster aren't for everyone. SWG had the best crafting system I have ever seen and played with and the combat system was great. Total innovation on Raph's part. SWG was full of innovation and possibly ahead of it's time.

SWTOR, no innovation just your basic cookie cutter on how MMO's shouldn't be made....

A F2P MMO called battlestar online hit the 9.9 million accounts not long ago. It's been out just over a year.

Hahahaaha!!!!!1111111

really? BSG? really?! sure it probably has more than 9 million now. i'm probably part of that number as well because i registered. who even knows how far back i registered and played it for less than a hour never touched it again.

just so you know maple story has almost double the subs that WOW has i think they're sitting at some 20 million perhaps more.

We should all go play Maple Story AMIRIGHT?!

I'll see if I can rephrase my perception of the OP's question since people want to throw out knee-jerk reactions of "SWG sucks" instead of actually answering what the OP asked.

Will TOR last 8 years?

Edited by Bluerodian

Yes, TOR will last 8 years if not longer.

If that is to be true, I believe that Bioware is going to have to work their collective asses off in record time. 1.3 will have to be absolutly flawless upon release, as frustration with the game on the majority of the servers is as at an all time high. Furthermore if they botch character transfers it isn't going to be pretty. In addition, copying the formula and pumping a game out in to a market that is already overly-saturated with other games of nearly identical mechanics has already invoked a healthy dose of Darwinism for this game.

Assuming people will be forgiving and stick with brand loyalty because it's Bioware or Star Wars is ignorant. These are customers. Highly frustrated customers that will happily go find a better deal and take their money with them. The days of player loyalty to a game that goes beyond a monthly sub are well in the past.

Simple question.

Prior to TORs release, did you ever think SWG would outlast it?

Because, from where most realists are sitting, TORs not going to last as long as SWG did.

It's a pretty mind-blowing concept, frankly. Especially considering how horrible most people think SWG was.

TOR will still be around in 7 years, games rarely close down now.

As for population, TOR is hurting but its still doing far better then SWG ever did!

As for cancellation rates, Id say both games pretty even at this stage

SWG did inot die from the NGE

SWG was dieing from day 1 of release and bleeding heavy like TOR.

Not sure what this has to do with anything though.

TOR is repairable with some obvious minor fixes

SWG had to recreate itself 3-4 times over?

Not the same at all.

Since bioware has said a few times that they need 500k subs to keep the game going and add new content where do you get the 250k number? Swtor is not rift, Rift cost a fraction of what swtor did and rift has a very good dev team tht arent stumped by things like x-server tech and server transfers.
Rift also doesn't have more complicated systems like legacy stuff. They have to figure out how all that stuff will work on a transfer especially with conflicting character names off the toons transferring to servers with another toon with the exact same name.

Just a personal opinion but Rift is a really bad game. I tried it and it couldn't hold my attention for even an hour. Rehashed fantasy style game that has been done over and over and over.

This game will succeed and I think you all are going to see some good stuff coming out of E3 for the future of the SW:TOR in the upcoming year and beyond.

TOR will still be around in 7 years, games rarely close down now.

As for population, TOR is hurting but its still doing far better then SWG ever did!

As for cancellation rates, Id say both games pretty even at this stage

SWG did inot die from the NGE

SWG was dieing from day 1 of release and bleeding heavy like TOR.

Not sure what this has to do with anything though.

TOR is repairable with some obvious minor fixes

SWG had to recreate itself 3-4 times over?

Not the same at all.

I highly doubt TOR will be around in 7 years, with the way the game is now. And the hack job that BW development did to the hero engine is why this game is not going to be as easily repaired as some people think. The core of this game has serious problems, and in that situation, it would be easier to take TOR out to the Back Forty and put it out of it's misery and go back to the drawing board.

And SWG had an 8.5 year run btw.