Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Why is there barly any soundtrack!

Ragsash

This is the issue exactly. What's so funny to me in this thread though is that some people think there's no soundtrack, some people have no problem, and so the obvious solution is to ignore what each other has to say and start insulting each others mothers. After all, we're on the internet!

never said it dont exist...What I remember from intervues and such that they said they had more soundtrack for this game then any game they ever done before.

I just dont hear it anymore...I can barly stand playing the game....its so freaking boring without and soundtrack....

I think it was this interview

I dont remember for sure.

I'm really disappointed by that aspect of the game.

Sure, they got the Star Wars sounds right, probably thanks to audiobanks from LA,

sure, they recorded nice music with an orchestra

and sure, most of the VO is nicely done,

but mixing all that together is imo so bad, I'm not sure Ben Burtt or anyone who worked on the audio in the movies is happy with their legacy.

Right now, it's hard to tell if there's only technical problems or more but really between bugs, strange mix of sounds between channels, ... it's awful. Especially in a game with VO, muting sounds is not an option, so grats, SWTOR is probably the first MMO I quit and run again because of sounds.

Btw, many bugs predate 1.2 and were reported in beta.

I just started playing (beta tested some but thats it). I started last Thursday.

I've only ever heard music when I do a heroic moment thingy or whatever its called, and a few times when it was DEAD silent (both in game and IRL), on Alderaan in my 30s. Before that, didn't even know the game had music.

I thought that maybe my music was low... nope, 100%.

The game seriously lacks music. Maybe its just soooooooo silent that the sound of me breathing IRL muffles it completely, but it really needs to be amplified.

What I have heard, I LOVED.

I've had my sounds off since week 2. Only time I ever turn it on is during a class quest using the ol' Ctrl-S.

Flood them with bug reports!

If it was of any value, I'd suggest the same. But it's not. You'll get the same canned response everyone gets "Update your audio drivers" - ticket CLOSED!

I'm really disappointed by that aspect of the game.

Sure, they got the Star Wars sounds right, probably thanks to audiobanks from LA,

sure, they recorded nice music with an orchestra

and sure, most of the VO is nicely done,

but mixing all that together is imo so bad, I'm not sure Ben Burtt or anyone who worked on the audio in the movies is happy with their legacy.

Right now, it's hard to tell if there's only technical problems or more but really between bugs, strange mix of sounds between channels, ... it's awful. Especially in a game with VO, muting sounds is not an option, so grats, SWTOR is probably the first MMO I quit and run again because of sounds.

Btw, many bugs predate 1.2 and were reported in beta.

I loved hearing the music before 1.2 :( I really enjoyed the music in the game for the most part (not the cantina music to be honest...). I remember really liking the music in warzones and I miss it.

Not sure what game you are playing. There is music all over.

No, it's not.

There is nearly NO MUSIC on the planets - and that's a horrible fact and the ambient-killer number 1.

You've got music roughly 1/10 of the whole time on a planet - most of the time you're hearing bugged NPC-talk or the boring speeder sounds.

Why the hell is there no music-loop? Any logicial explanation?

To say there is music all over is just... a phantasm.

Edited by LovarBoy

At BW no one noticed that Williams' music was one of the keys to success of SW.

SW is like an opera, but TOR is silent, or the badly copied JW style tracks are fading in and playing in super slow tempo you nearly fall asleep. Also the orchestra on the new tracks is really bad, don't know which one they used but clearly not the London Philharmonic Orchestra although having a 200M $ budget.

Darn, for that budget they easily could have HIRED Williams to compose and conduct a score album for TOR.

Besides, you are lucky if you hear anything and the audio is not cut off by some bug. Lame.

Please, fix bugs and use original music, there is enough material available, got about 11 hours of original SW material by JW and that is not even the complete collection.

In SW Galaxies... ah forget it

Edited by Lord_Ravenhurst

The OP is right. One of the first things I noticed about this game when it launched (besides the lack of ambient sounds) was the lack of continuous music being played while questing. It has nothing to do with the 1.2 sound issues.

When you are leveling, music plays during certain parts of combat, transitioning to a new area, etc. But there are alot of dead spots where there is no music at all. I'm suprised there's no option to loop the music.

The only sounds that stand out to me from leveling are the sound of my speeder and the voices of NPC dialog about a minute after I rode past them.

Edited by Abominant

The music in this game is awesome. It's just that it doesn't loop. I arrive on Balmorra, epic music starts playing, and I am all excited. But after that 2 minutes I spend the next hour questing in utter silence.

I agree with this.

Was thinking about trying to dig around in the game files to find the music so I could play it myself…but it’s probably against the EULA…so yeah, sad panda am I.

:(

No, it's not.

There is nearly NO MUSIC on the planets - and that's a horrible fact and the ambient-killer number 1.

You've got music roughly 1/10 of the whole time on a planet - most of the time you're hearing bugged NPC-talk or the boring speeder sounds.

Why the hell is there no music-loop? Any logicial explanation?

To say there is music all over is just... a phantasm.

Yes, I love the music , it really adds to the atmosphere but I really wish there was an option to loop it. Any MMO I play I always loop the music, seems odd we can't do that here.

Some techno trance is pretty good, I only like very few though. Most techno is sub-par in my opinion. I do have the CE soundtrack for the game, I might put it on my computer soon and use that. =] Edited by SWGVet

Asking BW to give you the loop option for the soundtrack might not turn out to be such a good idea...

3 years of development and graphics options are still not where we all expected them to be (it's 2012 not 2001).

Imagine the looming disaster of crashes and bugs with music/sounds after option like this is added when right now so many of us experiece this crap and BW clearly has no clue how to fix it.

Honestly, I would stop asking them to change/add anything at this point. Every change they do brings up to life hordes of zombie bugs. I know it's the mmo/game design ect that is complicated. But I think I am not alone in this feeling that BW is doing just horrid job on their part. So many people are so dissapointed at so many things...And not all fo us are impatient kiddies wanting everything now. Still, it's obvious now that BW was clearly not ready to enter MMO market.

Guess the expectations that SW hype can carry the devs into sucess no matter how unpolished the product is and no matter how badly they screw up and neglect their playerbase just were too high.

As my grandma used to say:"You can't spit people in their faces and tell them it's raining.."

It's really sad because of so many SW and BW fans got truly dissapointed. 3 years of expectations went down the drain in 6 months or less...

Music only happens when important stuff happens...It needs to happen A LOT more...they need a continuous music option like WoW has...

No there isn't. This is my main gripe with the game at the moment. I'm a big music guy and a huge fan or the Star Wars music especially Kotor 1 and 2. There is literally no music playing in this game while questing. I posted a thread in the suggestion section weeks ago but got no response.

I walk around in silence I wanna walk around hearing Star Wars music like all other Star Wars games.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.