What about the casual PvP-ers?

Pahomi

I myself well be doing ranked and not sure if I would want to do it solo. Knowing who your teammates are and having good communication is key. With 7 random people you control less of what can happen. Ill still do solo un-ranked but not solo ranked if they have it.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For all the drivel about wanting casual players, Bioware sure shows in the endgame that they really hate casuals. Only raiders are catered to on the pve side, and now in PvP puggers are second-class players as well.

"THIS"

I would conjecture that the largest portion of player base is casuals or even if in guild, not 'play every date at 8PM or else' guild and can always expect to get 8 people together - my guild is small!!.

Ranked warzones - I get it for 8v8 TEAMS...but then call it ranked TEAM WZ and rank them according to TEAM not PERSON because that's what people believe is going to make them shine

but there should absolutely be a ranked queue for PEOPLE as well....that would dynamically put you into PUG warzones based on your current personal (NOT TEAM) score - an independent queue from the current ranked wz concept - and don't confuse the two point systems!

I dislike random groups for the fact that everyone wants to be a wz hero and nobody is paying attention to the objective. (for the most part) Last night on alderaan we were barely winning when the enemy stole a node that i was guarding by myself because everyone else was sitting on a node on the other side of the map for some reason. Then, we regain control and are winning 210 to 100 so most of my idiot team mates decide to go and try to retake the other two nodes. i explain to them that not only do we not need the nodes, they weren't going to be able to recapture them and the enemy could come and take the only one we controlled with them running around like that. Some jerk tells me to shut up then starts calling me a coward and swears at me. I hate pick up groups and if I had to rank with immature amateurs like that guy, I would ragequit and my head would explode.

I dont see what the big deal is. Even if you were solo pugging ranked wz's with premades you would eventually develop a ranking score which would mark your skill level. As soon as rankings pan out, ranked premades should only get teamed with ranked puggers of similar score right? If you have a top ranked premade you should only get paired with top ranked puggers. Unless there is no intention of pairing teams based on skill level and the ranking system is just one big epeen race.

Many puggers can easily hold their own with and against premades, we have been doing it for months. They should have a totally separate warzone option for playing designated premade vs designated premade instead of the random queue.

It's so funny. This game is hemorrhaging players and some of you are intent on driving the rest of them away. I have friends that play the game and my guild is reasonably active but sometimes you are just on your own, especially since so many people are leaving. We should be willing to make compromises to keep the majority of players happy. Not just a few pixel-obsessed weirdos. What fun will ranked PVP be if there is no one left for us to fight? :confused:

I'm ok with the idea of creating a different RWZ exclusively for PuGs. But only, and only if, it's EXCLUSIVE. No more whining about premade advantage or pugs screwing things up. either queue with a group or queue alone at your own risk. If server's population allows it, why not ? But my next question, what would happen to normal WZs ? why would anyone play them ? What would make RWZs special ?

Instead of complaining, can't you get 7 other people to go with you? If you are in the situation that you are the only PvP'r in your guild or only 50, I bet there are others out there like you. Join up.

I'm ok with the idea of creating a different RWZ exclusively for PuGs. But only, and only if, it's EXCLUSIVE. No more whining about premade advantage or pugs screwing things up. either queue with a group or queue alone at your own risk. If server's population allows it, why not ? But my next question, what would happen to normal WZs ? why would anyone play them ? What would make RWZs special ?

Unranked warzones would still be viable for people who don't have BM gear yet, it may even make it easier to get. Ranked comms are only helpful in getting WH gear since the tradeback to regular comms is equal.

If you don't think that the player base can handle separate queues for individuals and premades, then roll a toon on Fatman and that will change your mind pretty fast. That is the population level that every server will need and will hopefully have after transfers. It is well worth it to reroll until transfers are here. I'd really like to see a queue for full groups and a queue for singles only, then you have nothing to complain about if you queue one way or the other.

The only reason not to ranked would be if you don't want to risk your ranking. That would be fine by me.

The only reason I want ranked is so I can finish the damn gear grind faster so I can finally both pvp without being handicapped and get mods with a set bonus to put into better looking gear.

If its just a number you don't care about, why bother doing ranked WZ's at all? Sounds like non-ranked is the way to go for you.

Some people enjoy playing against top notch players. I would like to build my rating as high as possible, doesn't mean im going to cry or whine when I lose. It happens, im losing nothing in real life, so its of little consequence. Doesn't mean I still shouldn't que solo rated. I dont care if I have 7 random people with me or not, most of the time the people that dont know what they are doing are going to be jumping in non-rated wz's anyways.

What If I wanted the ranked war hero gear because I like the look of it? Isn't that reason enough in itself? Even casual pvp'ers like to play against same rated competition. Not everyone wants a face rolling win every time. I prefer close games to flat out spankings any day.

Just the other day we came back from 92% to 6% in denova then locked the map down and won 4% to 0%, was the most fun I've had in a warzone since launch. Then again, you are probably someone who would of quit on that game and missed out on the epic win.

I was looking forward to ranked warzones just because I like stats and try to do the best I can to help my team win warzones and thought it would be interesting to see what my rating would be. I knew it wouldn't be on the same level as the persistent premade players, and that's fine with me, I just would've liked to keep track of my own performance. I wish the stats they kept now included losses and average healing/damage output, Huttball goals scored and passed for, that would actually be more interesting to me than rating.

If you are a "casual" PVPer why do ranked warzones anyways?

I am a causal PVE player and Im not complaining that I have to find a group to do EC.

Ranked warzones are to pvp what nightmaremode ops are to PVE.

So you think it's right to reward players who:

1) are fortunate enough to have friends in game.

2) are fortunate enough to play at consistent schedules week in and week out.

over players who don't/can't?

If so, you probably fall into one (or both) of those categories, and just showing how selfish a player you are. Sadly, it seems that your opinion is shared by the dev's, as well.

Personally, I am a casual competitive player. I do have trouble finding a raid/group for Flashpoints and Ops, due to my schedule, and the amount of time I can play per week. I also have trouble finding (anyone) for PvP content, too. It isn't for lack of trying, or lack of skill either. Why should I be punished (not rewarded) for not being able to get a group or ops together, for either end-game PvE or PvP content?

That makes no sense.

This is an MMO. There is nothing in MMO that suggests or requires a player to be forced into getting a group or raid together to complete content. MMO merely suggests that other people will be in the environment with you, creating a dynamic world.

This is an MMO. There is nothing in MMO that suggests or requires a player to be forced into getting a group or raid together to complete content. MMO merely suggests that other people will be in the environment with you, creating a dynamic world.

Unfortunately, for many - and sadly, for BW too - "MMOG" translates to "game for raiding guilds". BW really doesn't care about casuals in the endgame. We get a great game until we hit 50, where you can solo or group without being at a disadvantage, where crafting is useful, but once we hit 50 it's "raid or cancel, no content for casuals".

Unfortunately, for many - and sadly, for BW too - "MMOG" translates to "game for raiding guilds". BW really doesn't care about casuals in the endgame. We get a great game until we hit 50, where you can solo or group without being at a disadvantage, where crafting is useful, but once we hit 50 it's "raid or cancel, no content for casuals".

I have a 4 man guild, we have plenty to do. We are more casual than hardcore. The majority of endgame content in any mmo is raiding. It really has nothing to do with BW catering towards one group of players or not.

Edited by Brool

Hmm I actually hadn't heard anything about this until today, definitely if 1.3 releases with ranked warzones for groups only I'll be cancelling. I've enjoyed SWTOR tons but the approach to management, sharing info with the community (here rather than via twitter) and end game is totally not something I appreciate. To be frank ranked warzones as the end all/be all of PvP was garbage anyway (e-sports PvP 4tl) but knowing its going to be nothing but premades (ie ghetto arena) definitely kills the last of my interest. Maybe the ability to move to a new server will brighten the game up for me, but it seems increasingly doubtful.

Hmm I actually hadn't heard anything about this until today, definitely if 1.3 releases with ranked warzones for groups only I'll be cancelling. I've enjoyed SWTOR tons but the approach to management, sharing info with the community (here rather than via twitter) and end game is totally not something I appreciate. To be frank ranked warzones as the end all/be all of PvP was garbage anyway (e-sports PvP 4tl) but knowing its going to be nothing but premades (ie ghetto arena) definitely kills the last of my interest. Maybe the ability to move to a new server will brighten the game up for me, but it seems increasingly doubtful.

the first rendition of ranked warzones will be a pre-season anyways, stats will be wiped im sure when the actual launch of season 1 begins. It's already been stated that this is what is going to happen with ranked warzones (no solo queing) when they launch, but that doesnt mean that they wont introduce solo queing when season 1 starts.

Unranked warzones would still be viable for people who don't have BM gear yet, it may even make it easier to get. Ranked comms are only helpful in getting WH gear since the tradeback to regular comms is equal.

If you don't think that the player base can handle separate queues for individuals and premades, then roll a toon on Fatman and that will change your mind pretty fast. That is the population level that every server will need and will hopefully have after transfers. It is well worth it to reroll until transfers are here. I'd really like to see a queue for full groups and a queue for singles only, then you have nothing to complain about if you queue one way or the other.

I'm EU mate :D and yes, we might have enough geared players for that. I'm in favor as long as I don't have the chance to play vs PuGs

the first rendition of ranked warzones will be a pre-season anyways, stats will be wiped im sure when the actual launch of season 1 begins. It's already been stated that this is what is going to happen with ranked warzones (no solo queing) when they launch, but that doesnt mean that they wont introduce solo queing when season 1 starts.

I hadn't read the no solo-queuing at launch bit until just now basically. I appreciate that the solo queuing might be added at some future date but I've finally gotten to the point of being done waiting. 1.2 PvP is way worse imo than pre-1.2 PvP and reading developer interviews and posts here on the forums leads me to believe that they see the direction they're headed in as a positive one. I've wasted too much money on collector's editions and stuck around with too many games in the past that have been driven into the ground by a determined developer team to bother doing it again. Standard gear grinding to define end game is a bad idea in general imo, PvP that's focused on nothing but mini-games is a bad idea imo, barring casual players (one of the game's strongest bases thus far) from another aspect of end game is beyond just a bad idea.

I've been here since launch defending the game and raving about how much I enjoy it, I still do enjoy it quite a bit but regardless of the great story and the positive contributions to the MMOing genre in general I can't justify continuing to pay for the game atm. 15$ a month is a trivial amount of money, but removing it is basically the only way to note one's displeasure with design decisions. Perhaps games like RIFT just brought me to expect a bit too much out of development teams.

I'm EU mate :D and yes, we might have enough geared players for that. I'm in favor as long as I don't have the chance to play vs PuGs

Sorry for not being specific, only that first part was supposed to be directed toward your quote. I apologize that I didn't make that clear and if it seemed I was directing it at you. I had just read a lot of people earlier in the thread complaining about separating groups, meaning fewer WZ pops. I think server transfers and the possibility of larger server populations will certainly help in regards to this, but there are servers out there that will support this already. I sidelined my 35 legacy to roll a new character already until 1.3 launches and it really is an amazing difference on a heavy pop server.

I hadn't read the no solo-queuing at launch bit until just now basically. I appreciate that the solo queuing might be added at some future date but I've finally gotten to the point of being done waiting. 1.2 PvP is way worse imo than pre-1.2 PvP and reading developer interviews and posts here on the forums leads me to believe that they see the direction they're headed in as a positive one. I've wasted too much money on collector's editions and stuck around with too many games in the past that have been driven into the ground by a determined developer team to bother doing it again. Standard gear grinding to define end game is a bad idea in general imo, PvP that's focused on nothing but mini-games is a bad idea imo, barring casual players (one of the game's strongest bases thus far) from another aspect of end game is beyond just a bad idea.

I've been here since launch defending the game and raving about how much I enjoy it, I still do enjoy it quite a bit but regardless of the great story and the positive contributions to the MMOing genre in general I can't justify continuing to pay for the game atm. 15$ a month is a trivial amount of money, but removing it is basically the only way to note one's displeasure with design decisions. Perhaps games like RIFT just brought me to expect a bit too much out of development teams.

aye to each their own. I personally enjoy warzone play over open world pvp. I personally believe its more competitive and takes more skill than who has more people (ala ilum). Gear grind is in every game, and I personally feel that it is nothing in this game compared to other mmo's i have played. the gear grind in DDO was ridiculously stupid. I dont really see not including solo queing as barring casuals from endgame, I do see it as using the premade groups as testing to refine ranked warzones till they are ready for the full population.

The game has only been out 6 months, and I personally feel that BW has done a wonderful job so far. that being said a lot of these changes that have been made so far have been things that people have complained about. Has bioware made some changes too extreme? Yes, but its a fine line to walk trying to keep casual players and hardcore players happy with everything.

take the commendation nerf for example, countless people complained that we had no incentive to que up since winners and losers got the same thing, people que'ed up, got their alloted medals and then afk'ed because it didnt matter. I dont see that at all now.

Again to each their own opinion, its everyones right.

They seriously, for one moment, considered making ranked WZs solo queue? Really?

Today I had a guy, had no idea what to do with the ball, ran in the wrong direction, got lost, stood there. I patiently explained to him where he was supposed to be going and by the end of the game he understood how to play huttball. Now if this guy had been in a ranked WZ which everyone would choose for the ranked WZ comms, I would have flipped my sh*t.

With every win/loss going on your "permanent record" why would anyone want to PUG that? Don't PUGs get stomped enough in regular WZ? Do you really want the PvP ranking of "Constantly Facerolled"?

why you keep throwin him the ball?

why you keep throwin him the ball?

Haha, good question.

Also, the whole point of ranked warzones is that after a few games your rating will be sufficiently different from this guy that you won't see him anymore. If you do still see him, well, that should tell you something.... ;)