What about the casual PvP-ers?

Pahomi

So with the recent announcement that solo ranked warzones have been canceled I ask you: What is there to do for the casual PvP-er? What incentive do they have to play warzones after 1.3?

I actually consider myself to be a decent PvP-er but don't have much time to play the game and when I do it's usually at non-peak hours. So I will rarely be able to find 7 other good people to group with. I'm sure there will be a ton of people in my position.

Sure warzones are fun to play but with no rewards, with no goal it will become dull quickly. If they would have added solo ranked WZ in the game, I'm sure the majority would have chosen this option instead of unranked. With ranked, we would have played for our rating. We would have played with / against people of our own skill level, matches would have been more interesting, exciting and close. To take this all away because "people might quit or AFK" is a lame excuse in my opinion.

Solo ranked WZ was the #1 feature I was interested in. It didn't have to come now, I was fine with "later", just knowing it will come would have kept me subscribed and convinced I'm gonna be in this game for the long haul. Now, I must reconsider. I am really saddened they took this option away from us. I strongly believe it was a mistake which won't be good for anyone.

EDIT: I feel some clarifications are required for the misinformed people who are against this. Ranked solo queue should be separate from team ranked queue. That was the plan BW announced originally when they would have cross server PvP. We understand solo ranked wouldn't have been possible right now but with cross server PvP it would have. The rewards for solo ranked can be less than for team ranked. It's not about the rewards, it's about having a goal, a sense of progression (i.e. rating) and being able to benefit from the ELO matchmaking system (same skill players = more fun games) .

Edited by Pahomi

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Disappointed to hear that, I know me and a friend were looking forward to solo ranked. And neither of us really feel the desire to join a guild to make it happen, oh well at least PuG WZ's will still be around.

This game is done for now. I don't see a major refit of the whole system coming anytime soon to fix this game.

I plan on cancelling. Hopefully 8-12 months down the line they will get thier stuff together when they are begging for subscriptions.

There have been some fairly decent discussions regarding keeping players interested in SWTOR PvP.

If indeed solo joined ranked warzones are not on the schedule, it becomes even more important that Guilds running fulltime premades think about how they go about their business.

Playing in premades is a great amount of fun BUT if 6 of the 8 opponents do not requeue or any of them quit due to constant ROFL stomping, you/we/they are partly responsible for the decline in PvP pool numbers.

I would ask Guild leaders to encourage "soloers" either into your premades now and then or encourage them by your guilds actions in warzones. No need to lose but sometimes think about how lockstep you play.

Good luck, will be a terrible shame if SWTOR PvP collapses totally due to our own gaming styles.

Edited by Elkirin

ya once all my alts are 50 i'll prob unsub if they refuse to have ranked for puggers. I like to premade but I also like to pug. I have been in "the best" premades in the past and the best are usually only the best because they gear up fast and make boring party set ups of war type classes and healing type classes sometimes with 1 ranged dps depending on premade size.

Nowdays I like to premade with random guildies and pug on offtimes. Many players play similiarly. We have to put in the time sure and if you want to give 30% more ranked comm's to premade ranked wzs that is fine with me, however when I pug I should be able to get ranked comm's as well. Especially since I'm taking the pugger risk.

Solo queuers would've been a pox on ranked warzones. Whoever won would've been determined by who got the least ****** puggers.

If you really want to do ranked, why not join a guild? Or maybe advertise if any guild premades have room for you. Then they can decide if they want to carry your pug ***.

They seriously, for one moment, considered making ranked WZs solo queue? Really?

Today I had a guy, had no idea what to do with the ball, ran in the wrong direction, got lost, stood there. I patiently explained to him where he was supposed to be going and by the end of the game he understood how to play huttball. Now if this guy had been in a ranked WZ which everyone would choose for the ranked WZ comms, I would have flipped my sh*t.

With every win/loss going on your "permanent record" why would anyone want to PUG that? Don't PUGs get stomped enough in regular WZ? Do you really want the PvP ranking of "Constantly Facerolled"?

Edited by Lady_Alyria

Solo queuers would've been a pox on ranked warzones. Whoever won would've been determined by who got the least ****** puggers.

If you really want to do ranked, why not join a guild? Or maybe advertise if any guild premades have room for you. Then they can decide if they want to carry your pug ***.

Just go faceroll some pugs nothing to see here btw. your premade is carrying your ***.

They seriously, for one moment, considered making ranked WZs solo queue? Really?

Today I had a guy, had no idea what to do with the ball, ran in the wrong direction, got lost, stood there. I patiently explained to him where he was supposed to be going and by the end of the game he understood how to play huttball. Now if this guy had been in a ranked WZ which everyone would choose for the ranked WZ comms, I would have flipped my sh*t.

With every win/loss going on your "permanent record" why would anyone want to PUG that? Don't PUGs get stomped enough in regular WZ? Do you really want the PvP ranking of "Constantly Facerolled"?

My understanding was that solo ranked matches would be separate from the pre-made matches. Matching solo puggers vs pre-mades is ridiculous, i agree, however a separate division/ladder where solo puggers only face other solo puggers would be awesome. If BW can just do some reasanable team balancing so each has a fair share of classes (healers/tanks/dps etc) than it would work nicely. Sure you might get bad players now and then but overall it should balance out and it would be good to see how you fair given random encounters.

You should be more considerate of other people you know. In over one milion people playing this game, a lot of them do not share your views. I'm not really a pug, I am in an active guild and have people to play with, it's just that I usually don't have time when they're on. So it's more a matter of convenience. Sure there will be times when I will play in a group but PvP is pretty much all I do when I log on so I would actually spend most of my time queuing solo.

But that's just me; many others might not be into hardcore PvP communicating on vent and such. They deserve to have a ranked system as well. Sure they would have a low rating, but they would enjoy the games much more.

Please provide a link to the post detailing the removal of solo queue ranked.

the quote is from the MCM 2012 Expo from Emmanuel Lusinchiand is as follows:

Ranked warzones, we added them in 1.2 to the PTS. You can have a very good design on paper and it is a very good design when you prototype it, and when you put it with the rest of the game you realize that it is not that good. The problem with ranked warzones we found just before we released 1.2 was that we let people just queue by themselves for ranked warzones. When you have ranked warzones, the important thing is your rank goes up and down based on your wins/loss. Something that is very personal, your rank, was in the hands of something so complete strangers that you have no control over. You could be starting a warzone and then you notice that guy on your team who is just terrible and just abort the warzone when the team loses. It is one thing to be upset at end of the match with your teammates whom you communicate in vent etc but it is a different thing to be upset at strangers. Rather than releasing it, we decided to disable it.
Edited by Pahomi

It's a game, some people have better things to do with their lives then panic over a virtual number on a server somewhere, like getting themselves some chicken for instance.

It's a game, some people have better things to do with their lives then panic over a virtual number on a server somewhere, like getting themselves some chicken for instance.

Exactly. You may run into less skilled players at the start until your ELO rating settles. After that, you should have teammates close to your skill level.

Where are all these magic people coming from? I can't even get 8 completely random people verses 8 completely random people in under 20 minutes and you guys are talking about separating solo queues from group queues, lower ranked players from higher ranked. Where are we getting the pool of players needed for these kinds of divisions?

They will be possible in the future with cross server PvP or those super servers. Don't get me wrong, as I've mentioned in my first post, I did not expect this feature now. I am disappointed however that they seem to have abandoned this possibility for good.

For all the drivel about wanting casual players, Bioware sure shows in the endgame that they really hate casuals. Only raiders are catered to on the pve side, and now in PvP puggers are second-class players as well.

Care to elaborate? It's seems pretty clear to me that they think it's bad and have given up on it. They did not say it has any technical issues or could suffer from low population. They basically came to the conclusion that it's a bad idea (which is strongly disagree with) and have removed it. Edited by Pahomi

Where are all these magic people coming from? I can't even get 8 completely random people verses 8 completely random people in under 20 minutes and you guys are talking about separating solo queues from group queues, lower ranked players from higher ranked. Where are we getting the pool of players needed for these kinds of divisions?

Same problem on my server. There aren't enough 50s online to fill one warzone. How are they going to create a meaningful rated system?

Even at our population's height, it was iffy. Now it's just impossible.

If its just a number you don't care about, why bother doing ranked WZ's at all? Sounds like non-ranked is the way to go for you.