What about the casual PvP-ers?

Pahomi

skill > gear

Im not talking about recruit vs BM, BM is stupidly easy to get, i am talking about the difference between BM and WH.

You are dreaming if you think skills are more important than gear in any aspect of TOR -especially PvP.

Edited by MorgonKara

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't understand the gripe about expertise gear. Do a few of the solo dailies in Ilum or Belsavis or Corellia and you will have plenty of cash for recruit gear. Run 20 pug wzs and you can easily have 3 bm pieces including mainhand. And that's assuming you didn't save wz comms from 41-50... An alt I'm working on will buy wh mh and 3 bm pieces before entering his 1st lvl 50 wz. Getting full BM is EASY. There isn't THAT much of a diff between wh and bm and there's no diff between rated wh and non-rated wh (last time I checked). People complaining about pvp gear seem like they are determined to be ignorant losers?

skill > gear

Im not talking about recruit vs BM, BM is stupidly easy to get, i am talking about the difference between BM and WH.

Only if one player is REALLY good and the other is REALLY bad. A good player in bad gear will be beaten by an average player in good gear. There is not enough skill in the world to negate that you are dealing less damage and taking more damage than normal.

Only if one player is REALLY good and the other is REALLY bad. A good player in bad gear will be beaten by an average player in good gear. There is not enough skill in the world to negate that you are dealing less damage and taking more damage than normal.

you seem to be underestimating the amount of REALLY bad players.

I came from SWG when armor/gear was important but nowhere near what it is in this game. The difference in stats between the best armor you could get and crafted stuff you could pick up off any player vendor as a newb was like 5 maybe 10 %. In this game if you tried to PvP in crafted gear you would have no hope. The difference in stats is like 40 maybe 50%. gear is all-important in this game. Edited by MorgonKara

You are dreaming if you think skills are more important than gear in any aspect of TOR -especially PvP.

Actually i will disagree. If you have a very skilled pvper in bm gear against a "clicker" or semi skilled pvper wwho was carried by a group wearing WH gear. The skilled player will win the majority of the time. Now if the same situation arose and the skilled player was wearing say lvl 49 blues there is a very good chance he will have his head handed to him almost every time.

Not that i want to agree with khorj but it is what it is

Actually i will disagree. If you have a very skilled pvper in bm gear against a "clicker" or semi skilled pvper wwho was carried by a group wearing WH gear. The skilled player will win the majority of the time. Now if the same situation arose and the skilled player was wearing say lvl 49 blues there is a very good chance he will have his head handed to him almost every time.

Not that i want to agree with khorj but it is what it is

We can come up with unlikely hypothetical scenarios all day long. My point is that the effect that gear has on character stats in this game is huge.

If this news is true, here's the solution to all the whining solo Puggers..."General Fleet Chat: Forming 8-Man Team for Ranked WZs PST, anyone welcome"

How effing hard is that? Seriously. Make a team. Queue for a RWZ. herp-a-derp

Well you have obviously found the solution to all of the potential issues. :rolleyes: What happens when your PUG group bails the first time the enemy team scores because they want to protect their precious rating?

Edited by MorgonKara

Well you have obviously found the solution to all of the potential issues. :rolleyes: What happens when your PUG group bails the first time the enemy team scores because they want to protect their precious rating?

Make another one.

herp-a-derp-a-derp

ranked pug group matches is flat ridiculous. and hell no. If you want ranked wz rewards then you have to do it as a team, at minimum 2v2. quit being basement dwellers hiding in the dark afraid of having to get on a microphone and possibly speak words in order to communicate and win a team based objective..

The Best In Slot gear needs to be rewarded for group play, i.e hard mode flashpoints and ranked ops wz's. not single player.

In team based, objective based PvP (warzones) skill > gear.

Explain how the best pvpers who level alts still top the charts a few days after hitting 50?

what with the same 7 people on fleet that just bailed out of the last group? yeah good luck with that buddy.

That is a server population issue. Which should be fixed if they do server transfers correctly.

what with the same 7 people on fleet that just bailed out of the last group? yeah good luck with that buddy.

Who do you think you would be Pugging with in the Ranked solo queue if it existed? Some magically cool solo Puggers from a server far, far away? Come on now.

I came from SWG when armor/gear was important but nowhere near what it is in this game. The difference in stats between the best armor you could get and crafted stuff you could pick up off any player vendor as a newb was like 5 maybe 10 %. In this game if you tried to PvP in crafted gear you would have no hope. The difference in stats is like 40 maybe 50%. gear is all-important in this game.

I tried to picture 50s PvP in all crafted and had to cross my legs, I almost wet myself. That would be an....experience.

What kills me about ranked wz's: I've been in 3 guilds now that have all deteriorated into nothing'ness. I started with a guild from another game that came over-all left but me and one other. Joined another guild fairly large-1.2 comes out all gone but me. Now in my 3rd guild, I rarely see more than 2 others online. Theres know way I'm the only one in this pradicament either.

Given this coupled with no solo ranked queing how fun will ranked wz's be? I can tell you right now. They will suck because it will be one guild dominating one side. The losing side will simply move to solo play where they dont have to put up with the BS. Mark my words-ranked wz's without solo rank wz's will fail.

Care to elaborate? It's seems pretty clear to me that they think it's bad and have given up on it. They did not say it has any technical issues or could suffer from low population. They basically came to the conclusion that it's a bad idea (which is strongly disagree with) and have removed it.

No they've "disabled" it. This means they can re-enabled at a later date if they sort out an idea. It was mentioned in their blog posts when they pulled ranked warzones just before 1.2. That the solo queue system for ranked warzones wasn't working. That's why they pulled warzones but said the first round of warzones would be group only, until they work out how to do a decent solo system.

But as someone has said, they should just do two ladders. One for solo people and one for pre-mades.

I can from the vendors your rank in ranked warzones allows you to get war hero stuff cheaper. I see people maxing out all the war hero gear, then going into normal warzones to wreck people who are still stuck in recruit gear.

ranked pug group matches is flat ridiculous. and hell no. If you want ranked wz rewards then you have to do it as a team, at minimum 2v2. quit being basement dwellers hiding in the dark afraid of having to get on a microphone and possibly speak words in order to communicate and win a team based objective..

The Best In Slot gear needs to be rewarded for group play, i.e hard mode flashpoints and ranked ops wz's. not single player.

And i believe any rank should be awarded based off of MY performance. On MY character instead of being tied to someone elses ability to be able to log on and play. Should i be punished and forced to group with people i do not k now to earn rank cause i have to play of f peak hours? Oe having you team be punished because 3having people couldnt log in.

The scenarios are endless on both sides of the discussion.

How would you feel if your raise, bonus, or promotion was denied at your job because your coworker decided to go fishing for the week instead of working.

And i believe any rank should be awarded based off of MY performance. On MY character instead of being tied to someone elses ability to be able to log on and play. Should i be punished and forced to group with people i do not k now to earn rank cause i have to play of f peak hours? Oe having you team be punished because 3having people couldnt log in.

The scenarios are endless on both sides of the discussion.

How would you feel if your raise, bonus, or promotion was denied at your job because your coworker decided to go fishing for the week instead of working.

Instead of comparing a video game to your job, lets compare it to other games like basketball/baseball/football/etc.

You are ranked on your teams wins/losses. This is a multi-player game with team-based pvp.

Pff if they do that, I won't take another 6months since I don't want to group every time I want to ranked pvp with player with gear and skill near mines.

I'm already full hero and almost lvl 100 but that was certainly not made by playing only with premade, since it's kinda boring and lack of fun sometimes.

I consider myself as a hard casual since I work 8h a day and only play 4hours each day but I certainly won't play 4h every day with 8 others players.

When i agree soloqueue and premade should not be in the same queue for ranked, I don't agree at all with the fact that it won't be any ranked pvp for standalone players.

If they do that I already know a lot of peaople who only pvp and won't agree with that too.

Is that so hard to do something good for everybody ???????

:rolleyes:

Instead of comparing a video game to your job, lets compare it to other games like basketball/baseball/football/etc.

You are ranked on your teams wins/losses. This is a multi-player game with team-based pvp.

And personal stats are never discussed or used to develop say their player contracts. Oh wait. They are.

And personal stats are never discussed or used to develop say their player contracts. Oh wait. They are.

Personal stats can still be discussed.

And maybe if anyone ever gets a payed contract to play SWTOR pvp, like in the CGL, they could use those individual stats to get a better contract, change to a better team, etc.

Two problems with crafting in general -

1) It's very hard to get the recipes for most actual level 50 gear; the mods are actually level 49. Good luck running HMs ro raids in any that, too...

2) There is no way to craft much of anything with expertise.

It's very easy to get decent level 50 pvp gear, however: just buy it off a vendor for credits. You won't instantly beat better geared players with a little skill but you'll stomp anyone that thinks the GTN and Corellia commendations are a good source for pvp gear.

There is no absolute gear>skill or skill>gear in any MMO that I know of. A character without any gear, no matter how good, is going to get stomped by even a bad player with awesome gear (unless there's a cliff or a deathtrap nearby and the skilled player has access to a grapple or push skill). But give the two players characters of the same classs with equivalent or nearly equivalent gear and the one with a significant skill advantage will win at least 9 times out of 10 in SWTOR.

And yea, in the wzs, a coordinated team can easily run circles around a team full of better geared characters.

Edited by WaywardOne