Daniel Erickson reveals plan to merge into super-servers!

Pahomi

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Continuing along those lines there are "intelligent" ways to have to program guess.

/w is another function that came about from Muds and older MMOs.

If it were up to me, you couldn't whisper someone unless they were on your friends list. Then its even simpler.

Then again I work in "business" software, not games, so I cant guess how popular that would be.

I am leaning more along the lines of a simple identifier. My "address" if you will is bob#2544. You can even give it a little roleplaying. Since you are magically talking to me across space somewhere(/w or whisper /t tell) why not make it like a "Holo" number or "cell" number. And you could make the mail system work like an "email" address.

That way I can still be "Bob" regardless of how many there are.

I find it stupid and not immersive that there can be only ONE of any name in a game.

Everyone having a different name is not immersive. But having everyone with a number after their name is?

Ya, just like you try to represent a mass exodus due to lack of an x-lfg tool as fact. Spare me.

Yeah youre probably right, people didnt leave because getting a group in this game was a pointless time sink. But i wonder why biowares answer to the exodus is an lfg tool and "super servers".

Do you really even think about this stuff before you try to enlighten us with it?

Yeah youre probably right, people didnt leave because getting a group in this game was a pointless time sink. But i wonder why biowares answer to the exodus is an lfg tool and "super servers".

Do you really even think about this stuff before you try to enlighten us with it?

Super servers presumably solve both the problem of open world PvP, and the problem of low population. Everything is more fun with lots of people around! Open world PvP in particular would really benefit from a super server. That could become a huge draw for players to return to SWTOR, if they could live out the Imp vs. Pub conflict on any world of their choice with huge enemy faction representation. It's a nice vision, at least.

"Super servers" sounds suspiciously like "we need a name for the newly merged servers that somehow puts a positive spin on the fact that there aren't nearly enough players to fill our existing servers."

Bingo.

-Lad

Super servers presumably solve both the problem of open world PvP, and the problem of low population. Everything is more fun with lots of people around! Open world PvP in particular would really benefit from a super server. That could become a huge draw for players to return to SWTOR, if they could live out the Imp vs. Pub conflict on any world of their choice with huge enemy faction representation. It's a nice vision, at least.

I know, that was sarcasam for our friend who thinks the reason people left is some kind of black magic.

I still wonder if these super servers will still make you feel like you are in a barely populated world like it is set-up now. Especially since there will likely be multiple, multiple, multiple instances of the same areas up and running. I hope they remove some of the world instancing with the server pop increase. Edited by Darkside

Some people will NEVER be satisfied.

It's not about being unsatisfied. It's about not buying into a off the cuff announcement with no details, no time frame, and no trust in the mouthpiece that is making the statements. Remember when they announced ranked warzones were being implemented? How did that one turn out?

Do I think that a consolidation of servers would be a good thing? Yes. Do I think that Erickson saying that is what they're going to do holds any water? Nope. I'll believe it when I see it. Thus far all I've seen from BioWare is a whole lot of talk and virtually no walk.

"Super servers" sounds suspiciously like "we need a name for the newly merged servers that somehow puts a positive spin on the fact that there aren't nearly enough players to fill our existing servers."

Okay, now that I think of it, this may be the Occam's razor about it ...

Yes Super Servers have been sort of in TOR Development for quite some time.

The first signals actually came with the Asian launch with only 3 servers.

This is very good news for an MMO. Imagine having only a dozen server for US, and same for the EU.

Problem for this is only the lagging engine at 100 plus on fleet. My PC runs well with this game, rarely lagging even any in WZ, as many say, and Ilum was my worst experience in this game.

BTW I run everything full since 1.2. Things have improved a lot, and may be 1.3 although giving to little or no content addresses some these issues even more.

Lets hope for this. This would also be another revolution for the MMO industry.

Not sure they'd be able to do what EVE does....EVE has a lot more space to hold it's 50k concurrent players. If you visit Jita system (the central hub if you will) on crowded days, it can be almost unplayable.

SWTOR could do this with phases I suppose.

TiDi partially fixed that Worked with goons doing the burn Jita things :)

Nice to know there are other eve players around aswell :)

I'm very excited to see this.

Being one who rolled to Fatman at the start, I was a bit shocked at how low the population was on the biggest server. If you republic on Fatman, the planets and fleet were never full. Made me feel very sorry for those stuck on dead servers.

Sweet, so how many updates will tout that this "massive change" is coming, then on the eve before the update is released it will be removed from the update and put into the "Coming Soon™" category? For that matter, when will this be implemented? Because relatively standard features are only recently being announced as "Coming Soon™", 6 months post release. So when can we expect a change like this? 2-3 years from now?

If you watched the 1.3 content vid, then you'd know. Character Transfers, to specified servers, will start then.

I wonder if we'll get to keep the special ruleset servers together or if I'll end up having to cancel like I did with DAoC and Warhammer. That's eventually what drove me away from those games, losing the type of server/community I like to play on.

Are they going to improve the mass pvp or mass player aspect? The fleet can barely handle 300 players on it, if a "super server" just means fleet 1, fleet 2 fleet 3 etc etc, count me out. I want to play a MMORPG like I was promised, not an MORPG.