Daniel Erickson reveals plan to merge into super-servers!

Pahomi

I think we have a new trend- complaining about the complaining. I hereby declare that every thread shall have a post complaining about the complaining. Which will then lead to posts complaining about complaining about complaining. And the complaining about complaining about complaining about complaining. And then *BOOOM!!!*

But yeah, that would definitely explain why they've been tiptoeing as far as measures to deal with server populations. I mean, whatever measures they implement will cost money and time, which would be taken from other measures. If it turns out to be incompatible or other with their new hardware, that's more bugs and potentially time wasted.

Do you mean measures then measures then measures then measures , or has someone already done that joke .

on topic yeah bring on the mega servers , bring that damn thing on , sorry but im down with this , ill change my name to flipping baldasacoot or anything do it BW.

cheers,

Badorb.

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a shame it wasn't set up like GW or GW2 where you can move from server to server, ie: your characters exist across the entire game, but where you choose to play them at any given time is up to you. If we had that, people could have been moving around, finding larger populations freely and organically from the start. Oh well. Another poor piece of planning from Bioware there.

HOW DID IT GO SO WRONG, GUYS? :(

Hope the game isn't dead by the time BioWare can make that possible... so far they are pretty slow and bleeding subs, so what's benefit of having more capacity on the servers when nobody is playing any longer?

You do know how many servers are running right?

Eventually, the game will get to the point where it can no longer sustain the super-servers, then Bioware will come out with the "Ultra-MEGA-Servers," to put a pleasant sheen on the fact that there will only be 12 servers remaining. By that point there will only be 15 devs left working on TOR, but the fanboys will tell us how incredibly good that is since smaller dev teams are more efficient!

By that point there will only be 15 devs left working on TOR, but the fanboys will tell us how incredibly good that is since smaller dev teams are more efficient!

Bwahahahahaha, yes, the spin will be along those lines.

Please god tell me this will quieten down the immense whining in these forums.

I must say this idea intrigues me,

You seem like you have a good head on your shoulders. You should know the forum crying will almost never quieten.

The idea of "super servers" does sound cool though.

Eventually, the game will get to the point where it can no longer sustain the super-servers, then Bioware will come out with the "Ultra-MEGA-Servers," to put a pleasant sheen on the fact that there will only be 12 servers remaining. By that point there will only be 15 devs left working on TOR, but the fanboys will tell us how incredibly good that is since smaller dev teams are more efficient!

Are you still talking to yourself? :rolleyes:

Does this mean they are going to allow low pop to high pop migration when we get server transfers in the near future?

All I'm about to write are pure speculations. I think they'll increase the server population cap THEN they'll suggest to us to transfers to specified servers. After a while, we'll get the paid transfers and finally the server merges. Think about it, why would they increase the server population cap if they would want us to transfer from high to low population servers? It doesn't make sense.

So, your assumption seems quite good. :)

Uh, 250k playerbase which is Rift or 1.3mil playerbase(supposed) which is ToR. Even if we lost another 300k, still doing better then the joke called Rift

We could lose 800,000 and still be twice Rift ... Even if the population drops to 500k and they move that to 10-15 servers, that game will still be playable and, over the long run profitable meaning they would still put out content

So if in chat I type "/w Bob How's it hangging" and there 22 Bobs on the server, how does it know which Bob to send it to?

LoL the guy above me got in first :D

Sure in the database toons are not referenced by the name players see. Unique names are not really important for the software, they are important for the players. I wan't to know that the player I'm talking to is not some other random with the same name, there has to some sort of payer identifiable uniqueness to each player. I'm sure there is some soloution out there, but it not a simple thing. And no account name is not the answer, account names are email addresses that I don't want every Tom, Dick and Harry knowing. Unique names are the simple solution to the problem.

You dont have to use account names. A tag, or even a second variable would work just as well.

How do you know which bob in a phone book is the right bob? Or how do you send Bob a letter in real life without filtering through the millions of other Bobs.

The name displayed on your character, in your chat, on the mail can BE Bob. Everyone can have any name they want.

When you want to whisper your bob you simple need to add the variable, be it a identifier, or whatever.

That way anyone can be named anything they want and it wouldnt matter.

I could be Bob#2450 but everyone in game would still see me as "Bob"

Completely solves the unique name crap.

Or better yet, you could just add last names. If you had a full name, the odds of someone else having exactly the same name are greatly diminished.

Continuing along those lines there are "intelligent" ways to have to program guess.

/w is another function that came about from Muds and older MMOs.

If it were up to me, you couldn't whisper someone unless they were on your friends list. Then its even simpler.

Then again I work in "business" software, not games, so I cant guess how popular that would be.

I am leaning more along the lines of a simple identifier. My "address" if you will is bob#2544. You can even give it a little roleplaying. Since you are magically talking to me across space somewhere(/w or whisper /t tell) why not make it like a "Holo" number or "cell" number. And you could make the mail system work like an "email" address.

That way I can still be "Bob" regardless of how many there are.

I find it stupid and not immersive that there can be only ONE of any name in a game.

Edited by Oddzball

Why cant information on a subject that the customers have been concerned about for months be brought to us by the devs rather than having to find every bit of information out from a fellow member who posts a link from some other website?

Why cant information on a subject that the customers have been concerned about for months be brought to us by the devs rather than having to find every bit of information out from a fellow member who posts a link from some other website?

Probably becase:

A. The dev team is unsure whether to announce this as a planned aspect of 1.3, or a separate action to be taken later.

B. The dev team wants to announce this along with other items and hasn't yet finished determining what else to include in the announcement.

C. Most of the people on the forums would interpret it to mean "THE GAME IS DYING UNSUB LULZ!" anyway.

Probably becase:

A. The dev team is unsure whether to announce this as a planned aspect of 1.3, or a separate action to be taken later.

B. The dev team wants to announce this along with other items and hasn't yet finished determining what else to include in the announcement.

C. Most of the people on the forums would interpret it to mean "THE GAME IS DYING UNSUB LULZ!" anyway.

As for A & B I count publishing this information on the internet as an announcment

I agree with C but i think that time is allready upon us

Please god tell me this will quieten down the immense whining in these forums.,

Expect some people to complain that there's too many people... they'll complain the gathering mats are harder to find, they have to wait for mission NPCs to respawn, and they'll even complain about the chat traffic in General.

But yeah, I am too, much looking forward to increased population levels.