Double edged sword pvp daily

Dmasterr

While the decision to change daily to participation instead of victory requirement resulted in the following :

pro : Keeps players from leaving warzone (those who want to do the daily anyway)

con : at the slightest hint that one team gets the upper hand in wz, the other starts to "afk" cuz hey, they get the quest done anyway

conclusion : you managed to keep players in wz, however half the players in it are "afk"

Since December I have not seen one person stand around AFK. I would like to see a metric that demonstrates the problem as I know one of the developers said they wanted to protect against strap hangers (again I've not seen it).

I do plan to watch to see the effect when I get on later today.

While the decision to change daily to participation instead of victory requirement resulted in the following :

pro : Keeps players from leaving warzone (those who want to do the daily anyway)

con : at the slightest hint that one team gets the upper hand in wz, the other starts to "afk" cuz hey, they get the quest done anyway

conclusion : you managed to keep players in wz, however half the players in it are "afk"

Evidence of this? Your cynicism doesn't count.

Since December I have not seen one person stand around AFK. I would like to see a metric that demonstrates the problem as I know one of the developers said they wanted to protect against strap hangers (again I've not seen it).

I do plan to watch to see the effect when I get on later today.

This^^^

People ***** about this but I never see it. Besides, if they afk just vote them out now.

Stop ASSuming please. All this will do is give it more of an even playing field for getting gear. Not everyone has the guild to do premades. I pvp because i wanna kill people but i cant stay on all night until i get 3 wins which could take several hours depending on the make up of groups. If you come across a group with all Jedi or Sith group and you have 3/4 tech and 1/4 force users who do you think will actually win? This game is very dependent on class specific and if the classes aren't right then we already know how the game will turn out unless the force people are just plain bad.

I don't see any logical reason behind this other than to further artificially elongate the individual player's gaming sessions and keep him logged on longer in order to efficiently play.

I don't understand why I am now being forced to do something that I have been doing anyway. (queuing for PvP even after the daily/weekly no longer requires it)

PvP in this game is actually fun. Why make it a chore?

If the goal is to prevent AFKs in warzones, this is a step in the wrong direction. This is gonna encourage bad play and early forfeit.

Edited by Khayrim_Carncell

In a PvP match, I do exactly what I want to. If I feel like fighting, I fight, if I feel like going afk, i go afk, if I feel like quitting, I quit, if I feel like laming, I lame....

Now flame me, please....It will only fuel my will to keep doing crap in a crap game. I can't take SWTOR seriously anymore, those of you who can, please share the secret of how you do it.

This happens in Alderaan and Novare Coast on my server.

They just farm Defense medals. Luckily, they now get to complete their daily.

You can still group up your team and go after their turtle defense. Also you will be winning meaning you complete your daily twice as fast as the loser does.

If you win most of your matches currently just think about it, now you will have time to gear up your alts too. :cool:

The change is bad because it rewards bad play, and punishes skill.

Before, if you and most of your team was good and won most of the games, the change doubles the time required to complete the daily.

Which might not seem too punishing, but for ppl with multiple characters(i got 4); while it took me roughly 3-4 hours to complete daily on all of them, now it takes a whopping 7-8 hours!!!

And while i understand ppl from low populated servers and/or with faction population imbalance, those are entirely different issues of the game and should be properly fixed by server mergers and crossrealm.

Bioware just put a band-aid over those problems much like with other problems the game has, have you seen the patch notes? it describes game problems, and instead of fixing them they give you "workaround" band aids.

And last but not least, new players or players who have yet to learn how to play their class, or what warzones are all about, now NEVER have to do those things, because Bioware's band-aid gives "participation awards". SRSLY?

So Joe Schmoe will never learn to put "pass ball" ability on bar and learn to use it, he will never have to learn class strenghts/weaknesses,how resolve works, and will zerg train and run around like a headless chicken, and end up being on the forum over and over whining about everything, because hey he is super pro... or at least thats what the game participation awards tell him.

Have things got this bad so that we need participation awards?

Edited by Dmasterr

This happens in Alderaan and Novare Coast on my server.

They just farm Defense medals. Luckily, they now get to complete their daily.

The thing is, this has happened pretty much as long as alderaan has existed it won't really change one way or another and falls to more of a flaw in alderaan where that "just need to hold one turret to win" point gives the team a near guaranteed victory (yes I know some yoke always has the rate comeback story to counter, but by and large the odds are greater than 90% that its a win) can occur while significant amount of game time is left on the clock.

Novare I really don't see this.happening very often, it can be 100% to 10% and people are quite often still trying to attack and push nodes.

Hi, I can now sleep while farming WZ comms, I love this game. Anyone know a few good Chinese WZ comm farmers I can hire? If I plan it correctly I might be able to get a full set of BM gear in 3 months, WH gear in a year, fkn awesome!!!!

Nothing's going to make people try in Alderran when the fight is effectively decided in the first 2 minutes or less. Only ignorance keeps people going but honestly you should give up as soon as the other team has 2 turrets capped if you know the map well and assume the other side won't make stupid decisions. That's just a badly designed map with no real motive for trying.

In NC, if you AFK, it's your loss, though since the map encourages you to hit different bases, a lot of time the guys AFK will have to end up fending off an enemy sneak attack anyway since if they die, they won't be able to get the defender medals.

while the idea on itself is not bad, to lessen the number of quitters, it would be wiser perhaps to make a slight different proportion. At least 3:1 but perhaps smth. like 5:1 having 9 or correspondingly 15 points necessary for the daily.

Incorrect. This overlooks the fact that completing the Weekly is based on Wins. The Daily set to 6 Matches played with the 9 Win Weekly is a perfect combination. The arrangement encourages players to PvP more and still play to Win. Great change.

Additionally, even when things were at their worst, I never saw massive AFKing or Quitting in the WZs and I play about 10 WZs a day both 50 and Lowbie. Essentially, the claims are a total crock as far as my experience in game is concerned.

Incorrect. This overlooks the fact that completing the Weekly is based on Wins. The Daily set to 6 Matches played with the 9 Win Weekly is a perfect combination. The arrangement encourages players to PvP more and still play to Win. Great change.

Additionally, even when things were at their worst, I never saw massive AFKing or Quitting in the WZs and I play about 10 WZs a day both 50 and Lowbie. Essentially, the claims are a total crock as far as my experience in game is concerned.

If you're sure you can complete your dailys, you would also want to maximize your medal gains while playing and outside of Alderran, it's very hard to get anywhere close to 8 medals while doing nothing. NC greatly favors aggression so the same trick won't work (the winning team wil try to 3 cap if they sensed an obvious weakness).

Before, if you and most of your team was good and won most of the games, the change doubles the time required to complete the daily.

^Hasn't tested the changes out, decided to cut straight to the whining instead.

Edited by SweetNausea