Subs down 25%

Sabilok

yeah,i also remember what i heard about ilum.it was suppose to be some great world pvp zone

Yeah that was the players fault. I mean yeah BW should have put things in to discourage or prevent that but in the end it was the communities fault for Node swapping, instead of fighting for them as intended.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of the people, including myself unsubbed after March. I don't see how anyone could put a positive spin on this. Even the news report has it as a huge negative. They just said a few days ago that subs didn't drop. 400,000 people is crazy bad.

Are any losses bad? Sure. But you have to look at where they end up. 1.3 million subs is still a solid subscription base. It remains a solid Second place for NA MMOs.

Only in the black hole of gloom and doom does this qualify as devistating. Does BW need to continue to improve? Sure. But they know that.

I don't need one from Bioware, this game isn't going to close down and I don't wish it to.

I just want to know why others really want it to go away.

i for myself hope the game stays alive till....2025. why? because i simply enjoy it.

and my guess why people hope and want this game ti die is: they cant enjoy the game as it is, (im not saying there arent any problems) they expected different then how the game is , they dont have loads of friends or a guild to hang around with ingame, they feel BW stole there money cause they dont get what they demand for the game.

still.... even that the amount of subs dropped, this is far from dead!

i expected a bigger drop in subs, but with the new countries showing up in next Q1 report, 2 new expansions plus the soon arriving event(s).... it will go up again in the next report. so as much as people are trying to talk this game dead, it wont die. cause there are too many "fanboys" like me that enjoy the game as it already is.

haters gona hate!

Are any losses bad? Sure. But you have to look at where they end up. 1.3 million subs is still a solid subscription base. It remains a solid Second place for NA MMOs.

Only in the black hole of gloom and doom does this qualify as devistating. Does BW need to continue to improve? Sure. But they know that.

Well I'm hoping that it's a wake up call for the developers to start and listen to the community.

Exactly right. If anything, this is just a sign that they need to do more to entice people to stay; we know they're perfectly capable of attracting new players with an IP like Star Wars.

Looks like the news sites are starting to report on the downturn..

Better get your PR folks out there BIOWARE! TORTANIC IS GOING DOWN HURHURHRUHRUHUR

PS..shoulda put our rated wz's like you promised..this is the result of lying to your subscriber base..GJ!

Edited by Foxcolt

So what happened to subs not going down .... i would say 1.3 is a huge loss considering they launched in 38 other countries and that the only major mmo to release is that horrible game tera just wait till d3 and gw2 are out this game doesnt stand a chance considering it started with 1.7m subs only in euro and us and now its out in 38+ countries all over the world and they can only manage 1.3 with 50% of us still playing because they gave us a free month...

I would say 1.3m is a good sub base if subs werent still dropping but all this shows is that between US and EURO the subs have dropped in half and it will continue as long as bioware keeps giving PVPers the middle finger. You would have to be delusional to not realize that most all server populations have dropped in half except for the 2-4 populated servers everyone is rerolling to because bioware cant implement transfers something other games implement during beta..

Edited by blazingg

Diablo will indeed grab a lot people, Blizz was smart and added the free to play for 1 year there when you buy D3. In that way their subs will "not" suffer that much as these people still count as active then - even tho they are gone.

The big issue for BW currently is their position.

They have a big playerbase that is very intrested in wow like features, that refuses to play an MMO without them even tho they could easily do that. On the other side you have a big playerbase that left wow because of exactly those features.

No matter what BW decides, people will leave. They did at wow, Rift and will at Tor - the question is just which side is actually longer intrested in the game, right now it seems like BW thinks its the wow feature side as LFG and addons are coming or allready in.

One has to wonder what portion of those subs are from North America, and whether it accurately represent how many people are actually playing.

Is there anywhere to find info exclusively pertaining to North American numbers?

Edited by Theology

Numbers mean nothing when all you hear is how servers are ghost towns. Where is this 1.3 million horde of players?

I'm on Shien, a RP-PvE servers. I spent time to day on a couple of planets(Im lv 49) and there was never more than 5 or 6 at any given time. Fair enough it isn't prime time. But come on, 5 or 6 people on for most of the day? I went to Fleet, less than 20. I also know my server isn't nearly as bad as others are.

1.3 million, Gazillions of dollars, Awards from the President of the USA.............not a hill of beans does that amount to without a player base on servers large enough to do all the content. Don't get me started about waiting for WZ to pop...................

If I were an inverstor with monetary returns from the game being my interest I suppost numbers matter(dollars)

But being just a player who pays monthly for a gaming experience that isn't living up to its pre-release press, its just sad.

Better get your PR folks out there BIOWARE! TORTANIC IS GOING DOWN HURHURHRUHRUHUR

try harder to talk the game dead...

diapointment much cause the game isnt as dead as haters hoped?

1.3 mill is respectable. I think that the loss is simply a matter of those who bought the game (first time MMO players, strictly Star Wars fans etc) who subbed for a month and decided the game wasn't for them. It happens with most MMO's. Seven years ago, I bought WoW and subbed for a month...in the end it just wasn't the game for me same with AoC etc. Even if they totally wrote the game off, I'm sure they are secretly keeping an ear open for new things coming out for this game. I do the same for WoW.

1.3 million left, after 6 months.. Impressive BioWare, well done!

I would say they are happy over there.. Well congratzs you deserve it :)

Now get moving and release 1.3 pls :p

To bad EA execs aren't saying the same thing to them right now. lol

Remember that time the forums dismissed that one analyst who predicted a drop of 10% as doomsaying?

Oops!

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2012/04/analyst-suggests-the-old-republic-is-already-losing-subscribers.ars

In an investor note released today, Cowen and Company analyst Doug Creutz said he suspects that subscription levels for The Old Republic may already be lower than the 1.7 million EA reported in February. Creutz's primary piece of evidence for this belief is publicly available server population numbers assembled and reported by TORstatus.net. These figures have shown a roughly 10 percent decline over the last two months. That doesn't necessarily mean the game has lost 10 percent of its subscribers in that time, of course, but it isn't really a sign of strong player growth, either.

[snip]

Cowen and Company now officially predicts that The Old Republic will see an average of 1.25 million subscribers throughout the fiscal year ending next March.

They don't need to, here are the reasons why:

1.) Proves the game is not dead and shuts up doomsayers who previously had a fairly convincing argument.

2.) 1.3 million is probably the best retention rate seen since Warcraft.

3.) We have no idea how much Legacy 1.2 and 38 new prospects have increased the Sub numbers.

25%? Wait until 26th May when the free 30 days end and it will be 75%.

It won't be that steep a loss so soon, though it certainly won't be pretty. By the start of next quarter I'd expect this game to be performing like every other recent MMO flop that launched without modern MMO design aspects (Aion, Warhammer, Rift) - dropping an additional 40-50% within their original markets. Come July this game will be hovering in the 600k-700k subscription range.

That is unless EA does what's necessary and forces Bioware to immediately focus on what actually matters, and gets those updates pushed faster than any major content patched we've ever seen from a MMO developer. And frankly that's not going to happen; pigs don't fly.

1.3 million left, after 6 months.. Impressive BioWare, well done!

I would say they are happy over there.. Well congratzs you deserve it :)

Now get moving and release 1.3 pls :p

I don't think you understand how business works....

The way to keep stocks up is to come within or exceed market expectations..the analysts predicted Tor would be at 1.6 million subs by this quarter..it's down from predictions to 1.3.

To the people who think "oh 1.3 is still good, way to go herpedyherpaderp!" you don't realize that stock prices are derived from market expectations which are derived from predictions. When you dip below those predictions your stock price takes a hit.

As it stands now..SWTOR is a business failure as it didn't meet expectations and EA is going to have to adjust future goals and target dollars to account for the steep decline in subs.