Easy solution to skimpy gear equality

Ixum

And yet I am expected not to mind all the skanks running around fleet in their dancing girl outfits? "I don't like it so you can't have any" is not much of an argument. If you'd quit over this, don't waste our time - just go.

I'd like to see some skin on male toons. Fair's fair.

This, so very much. I'd prefer they got rid of the cheerleader-outfit armor and the skanky slave girl sets entirely but if I have to see dozens of them parading around it seems only fair I get something I find attractive, too.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I've said before I got my skimpy money on the cartel coin shop (though it should be free as the slave girl outfit is) and I've chosen to keep my faith in Daniel Erickson who at the guild summit said there would be skimpy equality coming.

As for lore... there is plenty of skimpy for males in it. If you plan to use the "it wasnt in the movies" card please understand much of swtor the mmo would have to be redone accordingly.

Edited by Ixum

• 2 weeks later...
I heartily support equal opportunity objectification. Why can't my female Trooper put Aric Jorgan and Tanno Vik in some Conan/Barsoom style leather-and-straps outfits? And, for that matter, change the pinup on the locker in her Thunderclap to a beefcake calendar?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm really mad about something right now, and it's this. See, one of the things I liked when I started playing this game was that I didn't have to constantly see mostly-naked women running around, catering to the sexual fantasies of their players. And then they introduced some of those skimpy outfits and now I do. And yesterday, I spent come cartel coins on a pack, and included in it was social adaptive gear that is nothing more than a tiny little panty. "Okay," I thought. "Well, this'll be fun to put on one of my male characters." Oh, but wait. It's female only. Because... why? Seriously, why? Because BW doesn't want to offend its sensitive male players by parading mostly-naked men around in front of them, but it's okay to offend its female players in the same way.

If you're going to let people be sexist, BioWare, at least make it equal. Skimpy options for all or skimpy options for none. This is the twenty-first century, for crying out loud.

I'm really mad about something right now, and it's this. See, one of the things I liked when I started playing this game was that I didn't have to constantly see mostly-naked women running around, catering to the sexual fantasies of their players. And then they introduced some of those skimpy outfits and now I do. And yesterday, I spent come cartel coins on a pack, and included in it was social adaptive gear that is nothing more than a tiny little panty. "Okay," I thought. "Well, this'll be fun to put on one of my male characters." Oh, but wait. It's female only. Because... why? Seriously, why? Because BW doesn't want to offend its sensitive male players by parading mostly-naked men around in front of them, but it's okay to offend its female players in the same way.

If you're going to let people be sexist, BioWare, at least make it equal. Skimpy options for all or skimpy options for none. This is the twenty-first century, for crying out loud.

We do now have the covert torso energy armor which is a good albeit "cheap" solution (no animation work required I think) so it is atleast something... if you havent seen it heres my smuggler with it on http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mdle02FkJa1rxzhulo1_1280.jpg

I actually got one of those in the same pack, so I am happy about that. But while it's something, it's not enough, IMO. One, there should be an equal amount of skimpy outfits for males and females. Two, I'd like to see things with more thought and effort put into them, like some of the fan-made images that look so great.

well armor isn't always about ultimate protection. Skimpy gear does have its advantages, like extremely increased mobility and increased agility since there is very little to slow a person down wearing practically nothing. I don't view that as sexist, its just logical...

i have to say im not crazy about the "daisy dukes" or non existing pants legs for a male, but showing more muscles would definitely improve the look of the male characters. although the star wars universe has reasons for covering up skin (vaccuum emergencies), the amount of skimpy costumes for females seems to be very plentiful. plz give guys muscle shirts :p

The covert top is a step in the right direction. People wanted a 'hide chest piece' option and this is just as good (you just have to keep it armored and modded up). So BW is listening. Hopefully some things like the fanmade art is in the works. Also, that jacket in the middle... my smuggler SO wants that.

You know, part of the problem with the slave girl outfit (and the little skimpy panty thing called 'loungewear') is that not only is it revealing, it's demeaning. It's intentionally made as something that no one would ever actually go out in public in, and making either a character or a companion do so is purposefully objectifying, humiliating, and dehumanizing them. The only real way to equalize this is to make an equally demeaning slave boy costume. Yeah, it looks ridiculous and humiliating on Vector or Malavai or the others, but so does putting a slave girl or tiny lingerie on Mako or Kaliyo or Jaesa.

Most of the skimpy clothing in this thread (well, the ones I like most, anyway) is still pretty tough-looking. If you leave a guy with part of his chest or arms (or even parts of his legs, as long as it's not too high up) bare, he can still look like a tough dude. You could even have more revealing female clothing that still looks tough, like something a warrior could still go around wearing. I wouldn't even mind more semi-revealing female clothing options (as long as it's equal number with more revealing male clothing options). It's the purposeful objectification of the slave/lingerie outfits that annoy me most, and if they insist on having them, the only real way to equalize it is to have equally objectifying and outrageous male slave outfits.

You know, part of the problem with the slave girl outfit (and the little skimpy panty thing called 'loungewear') is that not only is it revealing, it's demeaning. It's intentionally made as something that no one would ever actually go out in public in, and making either a character or a companion do so is purposefully objectifying, humiliating, and dehumanizing them. The only real way to equalize this is to make an equally demeaning slave boy costume. Yeah, it looks ridiculous and humiliating on Vector or Malavai or the others, but so does putting a slave girl or tiny lingerie on Mako or Kaliyo or Jaesa.

Most of the skimpy clothing in this thread (well, the ones I like most, anyway) is still pretty tough-looking. If you leave a guy with part of his chest or arms (or even parts of his legs, as long as it's not too high up) bare, he can still look like a tough dude. You could even have more revealing female clothing that still looks tough, like something a warrior could still go around wearing. I wouldn't even mind more semi-revealing female clothing options (as long as it's equal number with more revealing male clothing options). It's the purposeful objectification of the slave/lingerie outfits that annoy me most, and if they insist on having them, the only real way to equalize it is to have equally objectifying and outrageous male slave outfits.

It's only humiliating and objectifying if you let it be, and get personally insulted because a female character is showing a lot of skin.

Several of my characters wear the slave tops because they are the only super revealing tops in game. Paired with pants, skirts, and other armor, you can achieve that amazon/warrior look you mentioned. It's a bit harder to make the tiny slave bottoms work, but I have a character in the dancer leggings (the ones slit up the side) with a top with a hip wrap attached, and the result is aesthetically pleasing, IMO.

Skimpy female outfits are also iconic. The slave Leia costume is a fan favorite to this day (yes, for women too) and there are even characters in the expanded universe that dress similarly... and are not slaves (Darth Talon... I rest my case).

Also, yes, I am a woman and a feminist yet I find nothing demeaning about strong women flaunting their bodies while slaughtering things. ;) It's just too bad that men don't have the same revealing options, but since that invisible chest piece came out, I'm happy to say I'm suddenly surrounded by shirtless males.

Final point: it isn't always some male sexual fantasy. I hate the stereotype that the only female characters dressed revealingly are played by men. I guess the women who wear revealing clothes IRL are also... men? Wait...

It's only humiliating and objectifying if you let it be, and get personally insulted because a female character is showing a lot of skin.

Several of my characters wear the slave tops because they are the only super revealing tops in game. Paired with pants, skirts, and other armor, you can achieve that amazon/warrior look you mentioned. It's a bit harder to make the tiny slave bottoms work, but I have a character in the dancer leggings (the ones slit up the side) with a top with a hip wrap attached, and the result is aesthetically pleasing, IMO.

Skimpy female outfits are also iconic. The slave Leia costume is a fan favorite to this day (yes, for women too) and there are even characters in the expanded universe that dress similarly... and are not slaves (Darth Talon... I rest my case).

Also, yes, I am a woman and a feminist yet I find nothing demeaning about strong women flaunting their bodies while slaughtering things. ;) It's just too bad that men don't have the same revealing options, but since that invisible chest piece came out, I'm happy to say I'm suddenly surrounded by shirtless males.

Final point: it isn't always some male sexual fantasy. I hate the stereotype that the only female characters dressed revealingly are played by men. I guess the women who wear revealing clothes IRL are also... men? Wait...

I finally (through luck of the draw) have the complete 'loungewear' set. I think perhaps I might actually use it on an Inquisitor character who might actually be crazy enough to go out in public like that, and if I make her a tank it would be kind of funny. Still, my issue remains with there only being such ridiculously skimpy outfits for females. Yes, more revealing outfits for both sexes would be nice, if they're cool and look like normal armor. But we need slave boy outfits to balance out that other aspect I was talking about.

As far as real life, I don't see a lot of women going around in lingerie in their daily lives. It would be completely impossible to take them seriously, which is sort of the problem. And too often women who dress in ordinary revealing clothes do in fact do it to attract male attention, which does a disservice to themselves and women as a whole.

And yes, Leia did wear a slave girl outfit... when she was a slave. She put her normal clothes back on as soon as possible, because she's a leader of her people, not someone whose only asset is her body.

I don't think I'm articulating myself well. I do see your point, and I agree with you as far as women putting them on their own characters for their own non-sexist reasons. I'm even fine with it if it's genuinely because it fits a given character to wear such things (which, in the case of most female companions I'm familiar with, it's not). It's just something that sexist men (and there's a lot of male chauvinism in the gaming community, though I'm certainly not saying all guys in the game are like that) exploit for their own domineering fantasies too frequently for me to be completely okay with it. And it seems clear to me that this segment of the population is probably what the game-makers were targeting when they introduced such outfits into the game (lowest common denominator and all that). If they introduce a slave boy outfit and a male outfit that consists of nothing but a pair of boxer-briefs, I'd be fine with all of it, because there'd be equal options.

ETA: Upon further thought, I think I should just concede the point to you. There are, it seems, too many exceptions for me to fully be against the very skimpy costumes we have.

Edited by MollyDresden