Remove the rakghoul plague now

Well, like the other guy said, if I was a new player just learning the game, didn't know what a rakghoul was, didn't understand this plague, etc., I'd be pretty annoyed. I'd also be pretty confused, and I might well think it was an absolute necessity to scrape up the cash for a vaccine.

It's easy sometimes, knowing what we know now, to forget that there are people who aren't in the same position. Not every level 5 is the alt of some guy who has 4 50s, or is someone who's previously played MMOs. Some of them are legitimately going to have their initial experience hurt by this. If nothing else, it's bad business as it at least risks hurting subscriptions if people get frustrated and quit.

You don't need a vaccine, you just die, no repaircosts, only a reward (!) of 5 dna's. In fact death becomes profitable with this event. That camping thing also seems blown out of proportion. You can only infect people when you explode and then you have to get a new infection and wait until you explode. Seems like you have to put quite some effort in infecting people in low level area's..

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, like the other guy said, if I was a new player just learning the game, didn't know what a rakghoul was, didn't understand this plague, etc., I'd be pretty annoyed. I'd also be pretty confused, and I might well think it was an absolute necessity to scrape up the cash for a vaccine.

It's easy sometimes, knowing what we know now, to forget that there are people who aren't in the same position. Not every level 5 is the alt of some guy who has 4 50s, or is someone who's previously played MMOs. Some of them are legitimately going to have their initial experience hurt by this. If nothing else, it's bad business as it at least risks hurting subscriptions if people get frustrated and quit.

Fair point sir, I'll concede that. But to counter I'll say... the internet exists for a reason and it's not to view scantily clad women romping about met-art. It's to seek information. So are these forums.

This would devolve into an argument over how people can be extremely lazy about searching for information, getting themselves informed and applying that knowledge.

Your second claims is completely false. And in regards to the first, infection carries literally no thing which is mechanically punitive. Not only can it be avoided more often than not, it barely affects moment to moment play in a way which severely threatens the player negatively. a level 5 player cannot enter a warzone, thus they are spared infection that way. They have very little reason to head to the Fleet (and I believe they actually cannot), they are thus spared again.

Credits are made fast in this game, post origin world. And furthermore, there is literally no appreciable "cost" from being infected. The idea that low level players are being forced to spend 2k every 6 hours or upon every death, is outright laughable. This has been brought to your attention more than once and yet, when it has, you've still resorted to alarmist and exaggerated claims of the infections affect on this subsection of the population.

Simply put, you're proselytizing about player actions and consequence would only matter if this event was shown to have an actual harmful effect. You've yet to even come close to showing this, instead resorting to various claims of uncertain veracity.

Nonsense. We've already had a player say that it happened to him at level 10 or 13 (I don't recall which). Is it any stretch to surmise that many of these players, at the very least the uninitiated, may panic and believe he needs to be cured - especially when the plague itself tells you to find medical attention?

Further, how do you propose a starting world player sell his DNA? No other starting world players will be interested in buying it or be able to provide the sufficient funds necessary to make up for vaccination cost, and a player who has not completed the capital planet cannot travel elsewhere to make sales.

I'd be loathe to make such sweeping statements as you are, frankly. Outside of that, however, there are more effective and beneficial processes on servers as currently stands in regards to infection and sample acquisition than running around on origin worlds (which are sparsely populated as is). As such, I cannot see sufficient claim to accept the notion that origin world infection is at an all time high when compared to the aforementioned methods. Thus, it is inconsequential to the overall state of affairs.

I think we have a different philosophy. I believe that if a single low level player who knows no better has his experience hurt because of the plague, then it is too much and not nearly worth the cost. I believe this for two reasons.

First, I believe every human person has a dignity of such great value that for even one to suffer unnecessarily is unacceptable.

Second, I think it's simply bad business. From the perspective of a BW employee, for example, to annoy even one customer wounds the game's value, when an alternative is available which harms no customers.

Fair point sir, I'll concede that. But to counter I'll say... the internet exists for a reason and it's not to view scantily clad women romping about met-art. It's to seek information. So are these forums.

This would devolve into an argument over how people can be extremely lazy about searching for information, getting themselves informed and applying that knowledge.

Huh the internet is not about scantily clad women ?

/pout

That's the thing, people gonna grief no matter what. So yeah, making a lowbie zone more attractive to 50s on pvp server not so great but honestly the dune sea is huge and you're really only gonna run into these guys in certain areas. It's not like many tatooine quests even revolve around those areas. So you really don't have much reason to want to poke your nose where these high level players are going to be. Furthermore, if you're on pvp server... you're bound to know at least 1 other person who has possibly got a level 50 toon who knows other level 50s who would be will to come grief some imperials and boom OPEN WORLD PVP! =)

Actually, you may not have seen the quest "Tracking the Origins," which goes out into the rest of Tatooine, not just the Dune Sea, and goes right by necessary class and planet quest areas for each faction.

You don't need a vaccine, you just die, no repaircosts, only a reward (!) of 5 dna's. In fact death becomes profitable with this event. That camping thing also seems blown out of proportion. You can only infect people when you explode and then you have to get a new infection and wait until you explode. Seems like you have to put quite some effort in infecting people in low level area's..

Nope, only going off of what's been posted here.

In any case, I'd just disagree that there's no cost. The cost of dying out after traveling to some distant point (even on starting worlds where "distant" is hardly anything compared to the later ones) is something someone just learning the game shouldn't have to deal with. Heck, the most annoying part of the game is travel between points, so anything that might increase this just makes the game seem that much less fun to someone learning it.

Well enjoy what events of these you can like other MMO's enough people will moan an complain and they will quit doing them. I thought it was fun myself I was in tat yesterday morning finishing up my quests when I killed some crazed diseased person. Started feeling the effects went to the starport containment team tried to stop a Sith from going to his ship. So after the pests were handled got to my landing ramp and blew up hehe. Was epic good work BW.

Greetings folks!

The thread has been re-opened and you may resume your discussion. However, before your make your next post, please be reminded of the following forum rules:

• Insults - Please do not resort to or use them in any way in your posts. Posts should be productive, not destructive.
  • Trolling - Please do not post messages that are purposefully designed to provoke, antagonize, or otherwise elicit a negative emotional response.
  • Agree to Disagree - Be respectful of others' viewpoints even if they are opposite of your own. Discuss disagreements constructively.
  • Flag, Don't Fight - Utilize the Flag Post feature to report possible rules violations, rather than responding to or fighting them.
  • Ignoring - If you feel you simply cannot get along with another community member, please place them on your ignore list.

Thank you!

Edited by LexiCazam

Nope, only going off of what's been posted here.

In any case, I'd just disagree that there's no cost. The cost of dying out after traveling to some distant point (even on starting worlds where "distant" is hardly anything compared to the later ones) is something someone just learning the game shouldn't have to deal with. Heck, the most annoying part of the game is travel between points, so anything that might increase this just makes the game seem that much less fun to someone learning it.

If you die from the plague, no matter where you are, you get a rez probe prompt. There is no cost except the ~20 total seconds of stun/rezzing/healing.

If you die from the plague, no matter where you are, you get a rez probe prompt. There is no cost except the ~20 total seconds of stun/rezzing/healing.

Ahh, I didn't know that. Does it add time like the normal rez probe does? 10 seconds, 30 seconds, 2 minutes, etc.?

No reason to throw a tantrum. Worst case. You get the plague. You blow up. No repair cost. Res plague free in 10 seconds in the same spot. OMG! Please, this is not that big a deal. The event adds some spice to the world (and some stinking ghouls).

There are so many things wrong with this game. This is what you focus on? Really?

Grow up.

This is what world events are all about.

No, that is not what world event are all about. Getting infected, then camping a player spawn point so you can spread the infection to others who are not infected is grifing. As such this activity should be reported.

No reason to throw a tantrum. Worst case. You get the plague. You blow up. No repair cost. Res plague free in 10 seconds in the same spot. OMG! Please, this is not that big a deal. The event adds some spice to the world (and some stinking ghouls).

There are so many things wrong with this game. This is what you focus on? Really?

I don't tend to think there's much at all wrong with the game, just this, so I guess I'm a bit backwards :D

It's for a limited time, even if I hated the whole thing (wich I don't), I'd put up with it for the obvious entertainment it provides others with. I'd hate to be the grumpy old man with his lawn, it will be over soon enough.

Make it more dangerous if anything. You get something like 20 minutes to cure it and it's only 2k for a stim which lasts 6 hours ffs. There is also no repair cost if you die from it...

If you want a child safe game, go back to WOW. There is no point in "dymanic" events, or any events if there isn't something dynamic about them.

The zombie event in wow was probably the single most fun thing they did in that game. But people decided to cry about it because there might be some risk while AFKing in a city.

Edited by NasherUK

This sounds very similair to the zombie invasion event in The Burining Crusade just before WOTLK was released. Was very anoying and not fun at all. Blizz got a ton of complaints about that and have not had anything like that sence. Just because some think it is funny and enjoy messing up the game experence of others, effects like this from other players to those not wishing to experence it should not be in tha game.

This sounds very similair to the zombie invasion event in The Burining Crusade just before WOTLK was released. Was very anoying and not fun at all. Blizz got a ton of complaints about that and have not had anything like that sence. Just because some think it is funny and enjoy messing up the game experence of others, effects like this from other players to those not wishing to experence it should not be in tha game.

If you were there you'd know that this is nothing like that, the only similarities are that you can infect others (and they may go splat), but there it ends.

The irony that it was so annoying, then Trion comes around using the World Event annoyance factor as the main hook of the game and people apparently LOVED it.

In fact, I remember a few threads asking for these "dynamic events" a few weeks ago.

except it isn't, at all

Sure, there is a 'free' cure - if your character can get to Tatooine to get it. What I don't appreciate are the players who are traveling to starter worlds and infecting new characters who have neither 2000 creds nor a way to the free cure (remember, not every low level character is an alt). That is just being a jerk.

If you want to infect people, at least choose ones who can get the cure. That's not QQ, that's common decency.

I have to agree with Lyriel.

At the very least BW need to prevent Infected players (due to Quarantine Laws) going to Starter Planets.

People complain it's too much a single player game and not enough community.

Then you have a RP event that effects the community (whether you want to be a part of it or not is a different discussion), and you still get complaints.

Anyway, lighten up, Francis.

Edited by Scar

If you were there you'd know that this is nothing like that, the only similarities are that you can infect others (and they may go splat), but there it ends.

I was'nt at this weekend's event, as I was sick as a dog with a virus. But I was at the Zombie invasion in TBC and I think my point is, nothing should be happening in the game which some players can purposely anoy other players to get a kick out of it. So this does sound like the zombie invasion. :p