Tauntaun Hoth Mystery

Jenemi

ok, I don't know if I'm geting paranoid or not.

-1569, 782, the local area is called tauntaun ridge, there are roming untamed tauntauns. At the given coords there is a dead tauntaun behind a elite "boss"'s tent. I have the buff active and 2 in inventory but nothing seems to happen.

I was just checking out this area. Killed the Champion and poked around, didn';t find anything. The name of the area though is interesting for sure...

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just checking out this area. Killed the Champion and poked around, didn';t find anything. The name of the area though is interesting for sure...

I really thought this might be key and I have been over area with 2 hours of Jerky buff, jerky and livers in my inventory. Nothing so far.

Also did the same to the area where you get the taunton codex entry.

I've been keeping up and thinking regarding this ever since 1.2 hit the PTS and we were still looking for the orobird. Did a lot of searching and leveled a toon WAY past act 1 (got both titles) to try to help find the pets, but got nowhere.

Lots of new ideas here though.

Where exactly are the livers dropping? I don't mind farming for one, even if it takes a while...

Nothing, they just wiggle a bit like usual, nothing happens unless I order him to attack them ;p

I have a feeling that there will be multiple places to get the pet in the end. Otherwise, it would turn into a PVP fest on the PVP servers and the higher population faction would control it like crazy.

That being said, can anyone think of something that both sides have in common that relate to tauntauns in any shape or form, even if just a TINY bit?

Ok there is a cave with a whole bunch of Wampa's in it and a specific nook with 4 large dead tauntauns surrounded by wampas. In another nook there is an Elder Wampa. I remember I went here for a quest at one point but couldn't find it again til now. I did have the jerky and walked around but nothing and then consumed it and still nothing. Still it seems way too logical and perfect of a spot for the pet to be. Maybe we would just need a second buff from somewhere. Also right across from this cave is one of those mini caves with an Elder Wampa in it.

For anyone curious it's located at -2030, 1179

Just thought of a theory regarding the "Untamed Tauntauns".... maybe the NVSCCS only works if the Tauntaun is on the low end of it's health kind of like the "Savant" Daily on Belsavis, so get jerky buf, attack one and when below 25% use the NVSCCS...

They said no Tauntaun killing was necessary, but nothing was said about attacking them...

Help us Georg Zoeller, you're our only hope.

I'm starting to think that the jerky isn't even used. I find it hard to believe it could be because I think it would be unfair to people that can't get the schematic to craft it. I'm thinking that these pets are open to everyone to collect and not just the people that kill world bosses etc.

Or if the jerky is involved the only way it could be is if you can set the trap with it.

My new guess is, you set the trap with the jerky, then drop the trap somewhere near some tuantuans then walk away and after some period of time return and pick up your trap with hopefully something besides the jerky in it.

Most likely it will be like the bird eggs, each faction will have at least one "nest" to get the pet. This would mean looking out in the open in mutual areas might not be the correct idea. We should look into areas that each faction has a decent amount of control over, just like the eggs. yes the imps can run down south on alderaan and go for their egg but its deep into rep territory. This would lead me to think its not actually in each factions spaceport but rather just somewhere that would be considered safe for each faction.

Also we should look at how much distance would be between these areas, on alderaan its basically one egg in the top right corner of the world map and the other is in the bottem center/ bottem left area so a good chunk of distance between the two.

Most likely it will be like the bird eggs, each faction will have at least one "nest" to get the pet. This would mean looking out in the open in mutual areas might not be the correct idea. We should look into areas that each faction has a decent amount of control over, just like the eggs. yes the imps can run down south on alderaan and go for their egg but its deep into rep territory. This would lead me to think its not actually in each factions spaceport but rather just somewhere that would be considered safe for each faction.

Also we should look at how much distance would be between these areas, on alderaan its basically one egg in the top right corner of the world map and the other is in the bottem center/ bottem left area so a good chunk of distance between the two.

Exactly.

That was the point I was just trying to make. If they didn't do this, PVP would be crazy.

Ok there is a cave with a whole bunch of Wampa's in it and a specific nook with 4 large dead tauntauns surrounded by wampas. In another nook there is an Elder Wampa. I remember I went here for a quest at one point but couldn't find it again til now. I did have the jerky and walked around but nothing and then consumed it and still nothing. Still it seems way too logical and perfect of a spot for the pet to be. Maybe we would just need a second buff from somewhere. Also right across from this cave is one of those mini caves with an Elder Wampa in it.

For anyone curious it's located at -2030, 1179

This has already been posted.

Exactly.

That was the point I was just trying to make. If they didn't do this, PVP would be crazy.

To be honest, it is crazy despite 2 locations. Have friends in PVP servers who said people are killing one another at both. Or stunning and stealing the egg. And etc. It gets pretty bad.

I've had enough instances with trying to get Gargath as it is and getting a group together only to have someone else with a group run in and kill it while the few of us who are already on Hoth are there to begin with :(

Edited by Jenemi

Just thought of a theory regarding the "Untamed Tauntauns".... maybe the NVSCCS only works if the Tauntaun is on the low end of it's health kind of like the "Savant" Daily on Belsavis, so get jerky buf, attack one and when below 25% use the NVSCCS...

They said no Tauntaun killing was necessary, but nothing was said about attacking them...

I've tried attacking every kind of tauntaun I've found (including the untamed) while constantly clicking the NVSCCS throughout the battle. Nothing.

I think we need to stop making up new locations. As stated by George Zeller, somebody has actually found the tauntaun in question. I'd suggest making a list of locations visited in this thread and go over them again. I'm pretty sure he meant that somebody in this thread managed to find it but not capture it.

If he meant someone in this thread he wouldnt have said "somewhere on the internet".

If he meant someone in this thread he wouldnt have said "somewhere on the internet".

Saying "someone in this thread" would make it too narrow. "somewhere on the internet" keeps it vague for you skeptics. The reality is though, that this is the internet. Anyone can find anything, and if he says that "at least one", we'd obviously be able to find a post on some forum about some guy having a tiny tauntaun run out somewhere.

The reality is that whenever you search for things about the Hoth TaunTaun, this thread comes up, and anything that isnt this thread, is primarily copypaste from this thread.

With that in consideration, its pretty easy to induce that he's talking about something in the first 70 pages

Edited by TheCeleb