Bioware why the ninja nerf to death from above?

Galvatron

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad I don't PVE anymore because this would be an issue. I think I would rather do less damage and have the radius back to 8m. In PVP I used it many times with success on a 1v1 fight against melee classes. Opener, then knock back, then DFA right in front of them. Would make them back up or try and go around, or have him take the full damage running through it. This bought me time to get a proc off for Rail. But as a bounty hunter i'll adapt, I think I might finally try heals.

Also a bit off topic but I thought with the rework of DFA, they will fix the false positive it give when you are too close. Anyone experience this? When you have the target red , but get the target is too close error.

So the patch notes specifically state that the effect radius was reduced, and the amount it was reduced to.

Then we get not one but two Bioware posts explaining that the damage was not reduced in any way.

The DAMAGE TYPE for Death From Above has changed. Before, it was elemental. Now it is kinetic. The difference? Kinetic damage must bypass a target's armor while elemental damage does not.

So technically the damage may be the same, but you're going to see a decrease in damage since armor is now factored in.

The DAMAGE TYPE for Death From Above has changed. Before, it was elemental. Now it is kinetic. The difference? Kinetic damage must bypass a target's armor while elemental damage does not.

So technically the damage may be the same, but you're going to see a decrease in damage since armor is now factored in.

Good catch. I haven't noticed any detectable damage reduction in the skill overall as a result of this, though. Might be a factor in PVP, however.

Also, for the record, I dislike the radius change as much as anyone. The knockback effect isn't a problem if you place the reticle correctly, but like others have said, that effectively usually means you can't use it on more than 2 mobs per application.

Since the skill has such a tiny radius now, it really should have a shorter cooldown also, "to bring it more in line with other Bounty Hunter Area of Effect abilities", heh.

Also a bit off topic but I thought with the rework of DFA, they will fix the false positive it give when you are too close. Anyone experience this? When you have the target red , but get the target is too close error.

I get this error all the time, it will be nice if it is fixed. Often times when we need to burn the boss hard (even the tank), I'll use DFA for it's high DPS on the boss. It's frustrating when you think you fired of DFA, just to have to reposition it again.

yesterday I noticed, that radius is back. Its not too small like couple of days ago. but yeah, kinetic damage remains

Maybe 1.2 made the radius smaller than 5 meters and now it's actually working at 5 meters. However, the radius is not back to pre-1.2 distances. I had a guildmate stand 8 meters away from my test dummy and center the DFA on top of him...no dice.

I hate this change... guess happend becouse of whining in bg´s... no 1 whines about 4 healers doing their heal aura all the time...

well i think um going to unscribe 2.

Thing that shocked me most is you do 80% of the damage with that burn rocket and quick shots spamming other than doing your spell rotation.

i guess i dont wanna play a 1 (or2) button game.

I hate this change... guess happend becouse of whining in bg´s... no 1 whines about 4 healers doing their heal aura all the time...

well i think um going to unscribe 2.

Thing that shocked me most is you do 80% of the damage with that burn rocket and quick shots spamming other than doing your spell rotation.

i guess i dont wanna play a 1 (or2) button game.

If you can't figure out how to maximize the class in its current state, then I'm sure the game won't miss an unskilled player like yourself.

Players like myself do just fine with the changes.

And I really wish you all would realize that a 5m RADIUS means a 10m DIAMETER. l2geometry.

No this is a ninja nerf or someone messed up as the damage of death form above was not to be reduced!

yeah pretty cute garbage bio-ware, wouldnt mind except it wasnt in the patch notes sooo go **** yourselves, why dont you make it soo i get 1 shoteed as soon as a force user goes stealth? you obviously dont want bh being any kind of threat in pvp anymore. kinda like the 10+% dps reduction across the board i never read about. you trying to copy blizz garbage or what? keep your trash up guys pvp is now pure **** less ur shadow/sage sentinel/consular or a healing smuggler. sooo why dont you guys just take bh out completely sick of you gutter garbage glitches on talents meant to break cc **** resove is one of the biggest jokes ive ever seen

yeah pretty cute garbage bio-ware, wouldnt mind except it wasnt in the patch notes sooo go **** yourselves, why dont you make it soo i get 1 shoteed as soon as a force user goes stealth? you obviously dont want bh being any kind of threat in pvp anymore. kinda like the 10+% dps reduction across the board i never read about. you trying to copy blizz garbage or what? keep your trash up guys pvp is now pure **** less ur shadow/sage sentinel/consular or a healing smuggler. sooo why dont you guys just take bh out completely sick of you gutter garbage glitches on talents meant to break cc **** resove is one of the biggest jokes ive ever seen

Learn to play your class. So childish.

I have a lvl 50 merc (pyro) and powertech (tank). I don't PvP, so can only give a PvE'ers perspective on this. The lazy merc in me will start out by saying that I'm not happy about the reduced radius from DFA. As a powertech, I rarely use it since I'm always in the midst of the mobs.

As mentioned several times, opening with it against a group of 4-6 mobs will result in at least half of those mobs being knocked out of the damage area. If you're grouped with a tank, then show some patience and let the tank do his/her job of herding/clustering the mobs before using DFA. It'll make things easier for you and your tank. If solo, then utilize the terrain - rocks, corners, etc. to break line of sight and force the mobs to congregate, then unleash it. It's still a viable skill, you just have to readjust your thinking, and use of it, to maximize results.

My Pyrotech won't miss it - never used it 'cos he always works in close

But in solo PvE my Merc definitely noticed the difference. Ok, so the devs felt for whatever reason it needed changed - I can accept that as it's always been a part of MMOs.

But guys, when is an AoE NOT an AoE? When it hardly covers any area!

I can only speak for myself but the changes to DfA really took away much of my enjoyment of the BH class. I'm not a PvPer nor am I a hardcore player. I often solo or duo with a friend. I'm a pretty casual gamer and am not really concerned about maxing my toon's statistics. I play to have fun - and DfA was fun. It was a great opening move. It gave the BH class a powerful feel. As others have said, the long cool down and minimum range kept DfA from being overused. With the changes to DfA, the BH class - in my opinion, at least - is just a lot less fun to play.

In the end, it's the entertainment value of a class that keeps people playing it. Being able to point to a spreadsheet and saying "look, everything is balanced like we envisioned it now!" is pretty meaningless if it robs the fun from it.

^this^

I mostly PvE (with some crafting) and this makes a difference for my merc; makes it harder to survive. An AoE need to actually be an AoE. Bottom line for me, I am giving this toon up for now and am going to level another toon.

/begin rant

It seems to me that every change I dislike involves 'hardcore' MMO stuff. I read that this was to be a CASUAL MMO. This means that people like me who dislike MMOs but love star wars will be able to enjoy this game for the story and atmosphere. What I am experiencing is the game getting harder and harder.* I read in these forums about people defending this move to a more difficult game every week. I think the hardcore MMO types are stealing this game away from the masses.

*Crafting being an exception, it was broken at launch and still need lots of attention.

I have a lvl 50 merc (pyro) and powertech (tank). I don't PvP, so can only give a PvE'ers perspective on this. The lazy merc in me will start out by saying that I'm not happy about the reduced radius from DFA. As a powertech, I rarely use it since I'm always in the midst of the mobs.

As mentioned several times, opening with it against a group of 4-6 mobs will result in at least half of those mobs being knocked out of the damage area. If you're grouped with a tank, then show some patience and let the tank do his/her job of herding/clustering the mobs before using DFA. It'll make things easier for you and your tank. If solo, then utilize the terrain - rocks, corners, etc. to break line of sight and force the mobs to congregate, then unleash it. It's still a viable skill, you just have to readjust your thinking, and use of it, to maximize results.

Very clever. This is probably a common sense thing that hardcore MMO types wouldn't bat an eyelash at, but is in the 'wow, really?' category for those of us who don't 'get' the MMO thing. Bottom line, I want the PvE section of this game to remain accessible to those of us to stupid and/or old to play at an 'elite' level.

If after 17 pages of posts BW haven't taken a hint that they need to relook the change, I am not sure what will take to make them do so.

You would think so huh? Part of the problem is we have complete idiots on here that keep spouting off that the damage is the same, and just because you cant hit 3 or 4 mobs doesn't mean that damage is nerfed, and we all need to L2play.

1. It was and is a stealth nerf, this is NOT open to debate or opinion any longer from the likes of Dak or any other idiot that has no clue about what our abilities do and HOW they do it...

The type of damage was CHANGED from ELEMENTAL to KINETIC without BW posting the change... causing a mobs armor to mitigate the damage and make it less than the tool tip says.

This is the definition of a stealth nerf... the fact that they say it still does the same damage is just a smoke screen and there have been sooooo many people here telling those of us that actually know this was a nerf that we are dumb or need to L2play.

These are the people I am talking about:

Learn to play your class. So childish.

From my own testing, DFA still does the same amount of damage

However, everyone complaining about stealth nerf to damage, is untrue.

THERE WAS NO NERF TO DEATH FROM ABOVE!

LOL @ the mods not even knowing what we all knew:

Damage from Death From Above should not be any different in this patch.

Still more azzhattery:

It's not nerfed, the frequency of the damage has been increased with each hit decreased.

DFA hits a maximum of 6 times now, not 3. So there is no damage nerf.

There are tons more... but honestly I think I have made my point.

People in WoW used to do this stuff too... they thought they knew everything, no one could tell them anything, and they argued and argued that something was "the same" just the numbers "looked" different because of xyz...

Well guess what guys? Your wrong and for the love of all that's holy in this world... please either learn how and why your class does what it does... or save your misinformed opinions for My Little Pony Online... let the big boys that actually have a clue run the threads here.

OKay? Thanks for playing!

Edited by Jaxarale

Actually reducing the radius is not fine.

Sorcerer Force Storm radius 8 meters.

Imperial Agent Orbital Strike radius 8 meters.

We used to be the same now we're AOE second class citizens radius wise. An AOE that hits diddly compared to others is a pretty limited AOE.

Oh but you have Explosive Dart and Fusion Missile you say, yes, we do but they have limited radius and limited number of targets that they hit.

Sorcs can spam Force Storm and pretty much never loose force (in fact mine gains casting it).

I have no issue with the cooldown (yes I wish it was about 15 seconds shorter but still it's acceptable) but killing the radius and effectively doing less damage per hit (allowing things to get out of the way or attack stuff instead of maybe killing them with the first or second shot) is a rude awakening.

Bioware, equal rights for Bounty Hunter AOE is needed.

You reduced the radius of Death form Above which was fine but now you ninja nerfed the damage by 30-40%. PLEASE EXPLAIN YOURSELF.

Actually reducing the radius is not fine.

Sorcerer Force Storm radius 8 meters.

Imperial Agent Orbital Strike radius 8 meters.

We used to be the same now we're AOE second class citizens radius wise. An AOE that hits diddly compared to others is a pretty limited AOE.

Oh but you have Explosive Dart and Fusion Missile you say, yes, we do but they have limited radius and limited number of targets that they hit.

Sorcs can spam Force Storm and pretty much never loose force (in fact mine gains casting it).

I have no issue with the cooldown (yes I wish it was about 15 seconds shorter but still it's acceptable) but killing the radius and effectively doing less damage per hit (allowing things to get out of the way or attack stuff instead of maybe killing them with the first or second shot) is a rude awakening.

Bioware, equal rights for Bounty Hunter AOE is needed.

Ya this is what I also really don't understand. I made a post asking why other classes radius wasn't brought down along with the Bounty Hunters. That just does not make sense to me why BH was the only class that they did this to.

Getting really frustrated with this and the Bounty Hunter Merc class now.

Edited by MrLeee