Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Ship Droid: april fools or not?

displaynamee

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd welcome any mini game which is not about mindless mob killing. Even robot window cleaning would be refreshing!

This

Same issue with every MMO really. Killing mobs gets boring eventually.

Edited by Karkais

It's still up on the Launcher being advertised... so now I am quite suspicious, not sure if it's a joke anymore, and with those twitter feeds...

Someone really needs to just come out and clarify this lol; maybe the april fools joke was the joke that we all thought was a joke, really wasn't a joke :confused:

Edited by Logisitcs

Someone really needs to just come out and clarify this lol; maybe the april fools joke was the joke that we all thought was a joke, really wasn't a joke

Seriously?

I'll clarify it for you: It was an April Fool's joke, and a funny one at that.

Quoted For Truth as my twitter feed supports the reality of Ship Droid:

The Old Republic ‏ @SWTOR

@golemite Glad to see you're just as excited as we are! Some people think it's a joke, which is sad. We should have released it sooner! :(

@The_Stargazer Oh my, it IS April 1st! We chose an awful day to announce this amazing new feature that is in no way a joke at all!

@OldZandar April Fools? We would never joke about the very serious subject of the Ship Droid Experience!

@TheMc_Cracken What do you mean? Of course it's real! We're all looking forward to it and we hope you are too. :)

I really wish a dev would come in and get this squared up, but considering what the SWTOR Twitter team is saying I support the reality of this upcoming minigame.

Of course it was a joke. It was obviously a joke from the start. It wasn't even one of those things that look like they could be real when you start reading it, and then halfway through figure out it was a joke. It's preposterous that anyone would seriously consider it to be anything other than a joke.

All these twitter feeds prove is that the SWTOR twitter team was going along with the joke.

Tempting as it is to continue the gag...

... no, a Ship Droid feature is not part of Game Update 1.2. This was an April Fool's joke and we hope you enjoyed the fun. (For anyone who was concerned the videos you saw as part of the update took up development time, it was all achieved through the magic of video editing.) Of course, part of any April Fool's joke is seeing how many people you can fool, hence our generally po-faced attitude on places like Twitter. Hopefully you can induldge us for one day out of the year.

Spurred by the joke, a lot of people have expressed excitement over the idea of mini-games in The Old Republic. This is something that's always been a potential future feature, but we've got no announcements to make on that right now. We'd probably also try to ensure they were more fun than re-padding ship seats. :)

Dang.. I was kinda hoping it was real.. I wanted to stand outside the ship and wash the windows.

How about you wash windows during a space battle? Then the challenge would be not to get shot off.

Of course, I think most of us would be happy if our droid got blasted into tiny bits during a space battle.

I am hoping for a Dance Dance Revolution mini game where the icons for your abilities float down your screen in concert with efficient rotations and their cooldown times. This would take place on your ship as you danced around your training dummy singing your light saber and blasting lighting at it.

Quoted For Truth as my twitter feed supports the reality of Ship Droid:

@golemite Glad to see you're just as excited as we are! Some people think it's a joke, which is sad. We should have released it sooner! :(

@The_Stargazer Oh my, it IS April 1st! We chose an awful day to announce this amazing new feature that is in no way a joke at all!

@OldZandar April Fools? We would never joke about the very serious subject of the Ship Droid Experience!

@TheMc_Cracken What do you mean? Of course it's real! We're all looking forward to it and we hope you are too. :)

I really wish a dev would come in and get this squared up, but considering what the SWTOR Twitter team is saying I support the reality of this upcoming minigame.

Have you not realised that this is sarcasm? Especially at bits like "amazing new feature that is in no way a joke at all" and "the very serious subject of the Ship Droid Experience!" It's so obvious that the devs are messing around here and people have taken them seriously. Well, considering the amount they do for the game we probably owe them their occasional joke.

But there are some ideas here- Companion-to-companion relations, and minigames. We've all wanted to know what the droids get up to, and perhaps we will have more knowledge on this. Next year, don't take them so seriously.

... no, a Ship Droid feature is not part of Game Update 1.2. This was an April Fool's joke and we hope you enjoyed the fun. (For anyone who was concerned the videos you saw as part of the update took up development time, it was all achieved through the magic of video editing.) Of course, part of any April Fool's joke is seeing how many people you can fool, hence our generally po-faced attitude on places like Twitter. Hopefully you can induldge us for one day out of the year.

Spurred by the joke, a lot of people have expressed excitement over the idea of mini-games in The Old Republic. This is something that's always been a potential future feature, but we've got no announcements to make on that right now. We'd probably also try to ensure they were more fun than re-padding ship seats. :)

/cry

I was looking forward to cleaning my ships windows and playing super star wars

You almost lost me Bioware. hahaha.. seriously thou, the next Mini-Game idea that comes floating around the conference table should include a that wonderful game of Pazaak from KOTR.

And by mini game I mean a smartphone "app" linked to my in game credits.

Long story short, you got me good.

Cheers

i think its real niterunner but other's think it was a joke on the ship droid they prolly forgot how close it was to april 1st when they posted that maybe people should look at your link you posted to tell themselves its real and will be in 1.2

Yeah, keep the faith man. Don't listen to the anti-fun dissenters here. The update was obviously completely serious!! It's really crazy to believe otherwise.

... no, a Ship Droid feature is not part of Game Update 1.2. This was an April Fool's joke and we hope you enjoyed the fun.

It's knowing that which made me sad. It'd have been a chance at some non-combat gameplay. Spooling off the same three warzones all. evening. long. against the ever-same armor-, damage-, and speedhack abusers is really old, and there's only so much "go to green marker, hit mobs until marker goes away, repeat" before the wish to cut losses and look at alternatives gets strong enough to unsub, even if the remaining 3 players in your guild are good company.

Its a cruel joke considering the fools they made of us making believe SWTOR is something it isn't.

We bought a second copy of the game on December 28th.

December 28th happens to be the day the April's fools tradition is held in Spain.

Oh boy... :confused:

Edited by Urkanan

We bought a second copy of the game on December 28th.

December 28th happens to be the day the April's fools tradition is held in Spain.

Oh boy... :confused:

which is odd because aprils fools originates from when the calendar year stopped starting april 1 and then switched to starting on january 1. so the people that did not know of the shift were "fooled" as it were

I was all on board for it too! But I kept reading and when it got to the part where it said you can make your ship droid your main charatcer and your character a companion, that's when I saw the fool.

Not everyone here just plays mmorpgs, I also like Sims 3 and Civ V, so some other games to help change up the flow would be neat.

While a good laugh I want to see the ship from my droids point of view!

He might have an interesting take on what was happening and would no doubt make my heroics even more heroic with his unique take on life.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.