Server population is dropping...

Miffy

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People still have their accounts active but they log on a lot less cause they feel they don't have a lot of things to do in game and are just waiting for the 1.2 patch. I wouldn't mind seeing some server transfer options available soon though.

I've taken some numbers from a couple servers that I have toons on in an attempt to see what the populations look like overall. These were all taken during weekday primetime hours (8pmEST-9pmEST) by doing a /who on each class and subclass. The general assumption is that Imps have a 2:1 ratio on most servers, so I used that number to determine the opposing faction population.

Fatman Imperial - 1,600 online (assumed 800 Republic) = 2,400 total

Port Nowhere Republic - 560 online (assumed 1,120 Imperial) = 1,780 total

Dreshdae Cantina Republic - 340 online (assumed 680 Imperial) = 1,020 total

I know the numbers are not 100% accurate but this should give you a fair idea of the situation. My personal belief is that the faction imbalance is just as much to blame for the headaches as the overall server population. Republics on most servers will have a harder time finding groups and running FPs/OPs, but should have shorter queues for WZs.

Obviously there are smaller servers out there which have a larger disparity, and people playing non-peak hours will have the worst experiences finding groups.

I don't have a solution, seeing that no matter what I suggest someone will be opposed to it. I'm just providing anecdotal data for consideration.

People still have their accounts active but they log on a lot less cause they feel they don't have a lot of things to do in game and are just waiting for the 1.2 patch. I wouldn't mind seeing some server transfer options available soon though.

`i think 1.2 will pick things up for people.

Problem always is though that casuals/ social players are very afraid of PvP or PvE end content so tend to be very slow attempting it at first, though as games progress it usually picks up with them.

Your right theres low servers on WoW but not 80 percent of them are dead with no way to transfer off. Stop trying to avoid the question by side stepping it. Your argument fails.
WoW didn't offer paid transfers for almost a year after release.

That said, no developer who has started development of their game since then has any excuse for not offering paid transfers at release.

WoW didn't offer paid transfers for almost a year after release.

That said, no developer who has started development of their game since then has any excuse for not offering paid transfers at release.

Also the servers were a lot more full. Servers had multiple 40 man raid teams, on some servers here i doubt you could find 40 raiders total.

The problem is that Wow has ruined the market. Seems like not many people here remember the day Wow came out and the next 6 months. It had a lot less content and things to do then SWOR. It took them months and months to get stuff in. Well, years later you have a massive game with tons of stuff to do as a snapshot... but it took them years to do it. People think they will be able to jump right in SW and it will be as large and complete as Wow. It will take YEARS. I agree that SW is light right now, I have several 50 alts now and Im bored of leveling. Im on a high pop server so I spend my time leveling up my PvP rank and gear. Other then that, pretty boring. Sure, I'll back off playing until 1.2 and then hit the new pvp zone hard. But, Ill get bored and back off it again until the next big thing come out. I think one problem in SWOR is that leveling is actually way to fast. I remember it taking 20 days played (I had 5 lvl 70's by the time I quit years ago and the last one took 8 days played) in Wow and in SW maybe 8 for the first 50.

Your right theres low servers on WoW but not 80 percent of them are dead with no way to transfer off. Stop trying to avoid the question by side stepping it. Your argument fails.

80% of SWTOR servers are not dead. Stop exaggeratiing.

People think they will be able to jump right in SW and it will be as large and complete as Wow. It will take YEARS.

Swtor had the shoulders of wow to stand on. No reasonable person expects the same level of content, but they do expect the same quality of life enchancements. You don't reinvent the wheel every time you build a car. The stuff people expect is really simple too. Server transfers, UI adjustments, lfd seeker, logs, etc. some of this stuff is coming, yes, but it's not unreasonable to expect it at launch. I personally think things like server merges or transfers should be a higher priority than coloring your equipment to match, a mailbox on your ship, or a family tree. That just screams misguided priorities to me.

80% of SWTOR servers are not dead. Stop exaggeratiing.

What server do you play on? Do you happen to have and guild and pretty much only play with them? Last time you could find a group in the morning? How about even mid-day? Server pops are low, sure no one wants a Queue to log on, but having to wait forever for group anything is far worse of a queue. Try getting anything done on a server with 4 people on during prime time..

Edited by Ironbig

Just after 8pm EST, only 4 heavy servers and a ton of light servers. Yeah we need that merger soon

By ton you mean 28, and all of them are west coast servers so about half will probably hit standard during their peak.. in 2 more hours. I do like how you don't even mention the vast majority that are standard.

Its like your trying to make this look like a bigger deal then it is.

By ton you mean 28, and all of them are west coast servers so about half will probably hit standard during their peak.. in 2 more hours. I do like how you don't even mention the vast majority that are standard.

The point is, if you aren't playing on the heavy and up servers, there is probably a big spread in "standard" and on the low end of standard still feels empty.

Not sure how you can think a couple hundred people spread throughout the entire game is considered a good size server, that is awful. Even more so when the game is still so young.

There should be more then 4 servers with a heavy population on the weekend, don't ya think? Especially considering how many of reported populations problems from standard servers. If you read my post you'd see I eluded that the vast majority are standard, what are you trying to say?

Its like you're trying to make this look like a smaller deal then it is.

The point is, if you aren't playing on the heavy and up servers, there is probably a big spread in "standard" and on the low end of standard still feels empty.

Not sure how you can think a couple hundred people spread throughout the entire game is considered a good size server, that is awful. Even more so when the game is still so young.

The key point is this the busy time for the servers, imagine how bad is outside of the few hour windows each and every time.

EDIT: Yes I have an agenda, I want you to merge the bloody servers sooner then later. The longer we don't pretend this is a massive issue the longer the game is going to suffer from not having sufficient players. Or we give a cross LFD tool ... but that is for another thread.

Edited by Touchbass

I think server transfer is one of the more urgent features, since there are ALOT of posts and threads about it. I don't need it but there should be an option for people to move. Could cost 1m credits or $5 per character or something, maybe even one time free, with a name and legacy name change if the name is taken. This way we can give people what they want and avoid the negative signals of closing servers, at least for now.

I think server transfer is one of the more urgent features, since there are ALOT of posts and threads about it. I don't need it but there should be an option for people to move. Could cost 1m credits or $5 per character or something, maybe even one time free, with a name and legacy name change if the name is taken. This way we can give people what they want and avoid the negative signals of closing servers, at least for now.

Free transfers from the lowest pop servers to the med pop servers would be a huge improvement. Clear those near empty servers out and leave the healthy servers alone, no reason to not have a majority of servers being heavy during peak followed by some standard and light, not almost all light and standard, with barely any heavy.

Still hate "standard", it feels like saying you make '5 figures', and on one end some make $10,000 but those nice ones are making $99,999. Both fall into '5 figures' but are really not close.

I'm sorry but i do NOT spend $15.00 a month to have the ability to spam "DPS LFG for X". I honest to god spent 7 straight days spamming LFG for War Games / Red Reaper before a group of 50's gave in and ran me through it to complete my quests. I dont play MMO's to "make friends" or build a community. I play MMO's to occupy time and escape reality of the real world. Im a patient person for the most part, but if it takes you DAYS to get a group for something, than there are issues with the game. When i started on my server it was full, now during prime hours there are 80-100 tops on the fleet. Most of which are 50's who i see spamming for raids before giving up. It doesnt matter if you are in a guild or have hundreds of friends. Not everyone wants to do the same thing you do all the time. I am not level 50 and dont want to get there for awhile, but i do enjoy being able to run flash points IF you get lucky and find a group doing it.

LFG should have been inplace on launch. Games need to wake up and learn what the playerbase wants, whats successful with your competition and put it out at the beginning, not wait MONTHS to put in standard tools.

There should be more then 4 servers with a heavy population on the weekend, don't ya think? Especially considering how many of reported populations problems from standard servers. If you read my post you'd see I eluded that the vast majority are standard, what are you trying to say?

Its like you're trying to make this look like a smaller deal then it is.

During the downtrend of activity before a patch, yes having a good portion of servers at standard is perfectly acceptable.

If this was the day after a major content patch then it would be something to be concerned with, but since its not... its not.

During the downtrend of activity before a patch, yes having a good portion of servers at standard is perfectly acceptable.

If this was the day after a major content patch then it would be something to be concerned with, but since its not... its not.

3 months in to a game...yes, its a concern. If this was the 2nd expac and we were in-between patches, yea maybe. Not 3 months into the game. There should be more then 43 people on fleet atm.