New patch and server maintenance at peak time?

defendurname

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's pretty impressive, seeing how I'm pretty certain that game launched in 2004.

LOL, the guy you were quoting was trolling. Anyone who says the WoW servers never went down during peak times, never played the game! At least Bioware gives a 15 minute warning! WoW's often went down without ANY warning!

But we all know, they aren't going to mention which exploit they are fixing, until after it is fixed. And then, they probably are not going to give out much detail.

Yeah I don't need that much detail but I would like something saying " hey we are shutting down for an exploit fix".

I don't really care that they need to go down, but I would like to know why, and no generic " for a patch" isn't what I call info.

I'm pretty sure they didn't decide to put in a seemingly random patch in the middle of the day (at least where I live) two days after the weekly maintenance/patching day. It's probably a hotfix for something pretty important, just considering the whole 'hey, we're doing this RIGHT NOW completely unscheduled' thing.

Edit: I'm pretty sure that it's got nothing to do with US or Canadian timezones and more to do with an immediate issue.

As far as why the EU gets shafted (though Bioware has stated that Tuesday patches aren't in the EU's major period of activity, for all we know that means 'it's not a prime-time TV slot sort of period and that's totally what matters', so eh), I'd say it's got something to do with one, trying to find a medium between three parts of the world with incredibly different timezones (NA/EU/AS) would be pretty much impossible, and two, they supposedly need all patches to be released at the same time for some sort of technical reason.

Edited by Flyceratops

Server farm video feed reveals...

Server Tech 1:

"Dude go long, farther.. he throws (hurls can of soda) and he ... MISSES, oh the crowd goes wild..."

"Dude you so totally suck, how could you miss that.?? Wait what's that smell...Oh man it spilled out on the main panel..."

"Oh crap what do we do now???"

Senior Server Tech:

"The servers are currently unavailable while we deploy a patch. We expect the servers to be available again at 3PM CST (1PM PST/ 4PM EST/ 8PM GMT/ 9PM CET/ 8AM AEST). Please check the Forums or the official SWTOR Twitter page for more information and updates. To check the status of your server, visit the Server Status page."

"You're such a noob, call Tiger Direct and order what we need..." Ok go long..

Edited by SikrouDeco

Wonder what the Reaction would be from some of our, less than stable American friends (not saying there arnt Europeans who are particularly unstable at least entirely) but what would happen if this occurred during their peak time? would the reaction be "ohhh well Cest la Vie" or would it be a rabble I wonder?

Rav

if it was a european based game and\or company, i would not care..

The most dumb thing is that the 'emergency' patch is für the upcoming Weekend Pass Free Trial ... ***? they should focus on the actual people who are paying for the game and can't play in a peak time. I'm sure BW will lose more that they will gain with the Weekend Trial..

Any particular reason the servers are shutting down from 6pm - 9pm GMT? Delaying a patch for a few hours shouldn't make a big difference....

Boo hoo. Jimmy Buffet sings it so well. Someone is gonna lose, Euro's just lost yet another coin toss.

"Its only half-passed twelve but i dont care... Its peak time somewhere, oh this lunch break is gonna take all afternoon, an' half the night."

Emergency maintenance is an...emergency. if there's an urgent issue you don't always have time to give a lot of advance notice or provide detailed information.

Get. Over. it.

It's not some diabolical plan to drive Europeans away from the game.

Although Biowares approach to maintenance and how it affects the EU is a major contributory factor in my decision not to resub for now.

Dear Euro-players, I have seen many, many posts about how America is getting special treatment because the servers are down while most Americans are at work while in Europe it's more prime hours. You ask why, you demand a response from the developers as to why YOUR day is being interrupted and I'm here to explain it to you as simply as I can so you'll stop making threads about how nerd-ragy you are.

The reason they did the emergency patch in the middle of the day when everyone was at work in America is because THE DEVELOPMENT TEAM WORKS IN AMERICA AND THEY ARE AT WORK.

Shocking I know that people don't want to drive to work in the middle of the night to put in an emergency patch but they didn't get the memo about you, personally, being the center of the universe. It's my day off and the patch is interrupting my fun too but I'm not throwing a fit about it. Get over your entitlement issues.

I'm heading out to see a movie and enjoy this nice spring day! Later all!

Wonder what the Reaction would be from some of our, less than stable American friends (not saying there arnt Europeans who are particularly unstable at least entirely) but what would happen if this occurred during their peak time? would the reaction be "ohhh well Cest la Vie" or would it be a rabble I wonder?

Rav

Considering it has been the EU customer base flooding the general forums w/ complaints about maintenance times since the game launched.. My guess is it would be a "ohh well Cest la Vie"... I play XIV still, all maintenance during Japan off-hours.. I deal with stuff like this all the time.

So if they do maintenance at 2 a.m. CST people complain. If they do a patch at 1 p.m. CST people complain.

Face it - there's no good time to do it - someone somewhere will be inconvenienced. Deal with it.

Forth time they patch during our raid times... hardly when they patched they meet the time schedule.

And today the reason is the best.

If you have 24 hours customers around the world than you should patch at different time zones. Would also give you some "beta" testers instead of rolling out to all users.

Well for me this was the last reason to cancel my subscription. Hopefully the free test weekend will help you in getting new customers! :mad:

twitter replied saying 2 hrs downtime to deploy a patch that they gave no notice of or details of just 15 mins to finish what your doing .. and whats with every ticket in game i open being instantly closed saying "Thanks for making us aware of the problem you wont hear anything further from us about this" and they instantly close the ticket so far not one of ove 20 tickets has had any resolution some ive been waiting almost 90 days on...they literally responded to a ticket I opened asking why they instantly closed every ticket without any kind of customer service or gm interaction and no suggestions on any fix on any problems?? they responded the same "Thanks for making us aware of the problem you wont hear anything further from us about this" and they instantly closed the ticket!! and when calling customer service they say to open a ticket about it !!! Bioware has figured out the perfect way to not have to deal with customers