To many abilities - piano playing must be reduced...

MuNieK

Translation of you: Hi, I'm a neoconservative, ultra, extremist over exaggerator. If I don't agree with something, I will exaggerate the issue alllllll the way over to the opposite side.

Poster is totally right, instead of 57 different abilities, we could condense down to 35 and have a better game play.

I challenge you to find even 35 unique abilities that any given class can have and which are all appropriate for a given spec and for PvP. Heck, I would even be happy just getting 35, but I threw those other conditions in there for accuracy's sake.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for trying to sound polite. However you missing one thing: I am capable fo using them. What im complainign about is the fact that its not comfortable... And while im playing game i want it comfortable, and not tiring my hands like if i would be pianist. Please read with understunding.
I'd like to start by saying that I am currently learning to play piano, and not once have I tired my hands. I'd also like to say i'm a pretty well geared Jedi Sentinel who manages to deal good DPS in most Ops and Warzones. I have every ability (This includes class buff, class heal, and Huttball throw) bound with two full Hotbars, and another Hotbar for my Legacy Lightside ability, a few Speeders, Quick Travel, and my Legacy Valor abilities. All of them keybound. I love it.

I'm the kind of person who enjoys hates the thought of not having an ability with him when he needs it. I keybound everything and I am happy. Anything and everything I could possibly need is right there. If you combined Dispatch in with some generic Saber Throw, i'd hate it. I cringe at the thought of combining Saber Ward and Rebuke.

So, I hate being blunt, but I need to say this: You do not speak for everyone.

I'm bad. [/color]

Fixed. I went back to rift when I unsubbed this game, and it was a complete joke. The macros make it the most mindless crap ever. Get a good mouse (naga), and l2p. There aren't too many abilities. There are too many bad players who don't know when/how to use them.

Fixed. I went back to rift when I unsubbed this game, and it was a complete joke. The macros make it the most mindless crap ever. Get a good mouse (naga), and l2p. There aren't too many abilities. There are too many bad players who don't know when/how to use them.

Funny you tell others to L2P when you have to buy a mouse to compete:rolleyes:

Personally i really enjoy having a bunch of abilities to choose from.It really forces me to think about how im going to spend my global cool downs.

Here s a couple of things ive done that have helped me tremendously

I dont move using a,w,s,d. I bound my move forward to mouse 1+2

my auto run is bound to middle mouse.

my strafes are bound to... umm well thats a secret im not willing to share right now lol but anywhos

my whole objective is to set up my keybinds so i dont have to move my hand from its home position for any of my most frequently used abilites.

heres a little peak ...

my most frequently used abilities are bound to 1,2,3,4,q,w,e,r,a,s,d,f,z,x,c. this way i dont have to move my hand or fingers much in the middle of battle while also not having to look at my keyboard.

hope that helps

laters

I use a Razer Naga and have all my abilities bound to it. A total of 36 keybinds and 3 modifiers and it's still a pain in the ***! I'm looking forward to GW2 and I hope (pray) that it's a big success so maybe some of the games more unique and innovative features catch on with other MMO developers.

I liked the concept in Guild Wars of having tons of abilities, but only being able to have 8 available to your character.

This allowed some very creative combinations which I found to be strategically interesting.

I would not be opposed to a similar "PvP" Bar idea where you are forced to choose say 12-18 abilities and are prevented from using any ability not on your bar (Pass Huttball would be a freebie).

IDK, maybe it's just me but I feel like the game is pretty simple. Fairly quickly I feel like I do... without thinking. Everything is natural reaction over a thought process. With that said...30-35 key binds seems trivial. I'd be happy to see more. The more room for decision/consequence and mistakes... the more skill plays a role in each fight. Edited by UGLYMRJ

I liked the concept in Guild Wars of having tons of abilities, but only being able to have 8 available to your character.

This allowed some very creative combinations which I found to be strategically interesting.

I would not be opposed to a similar "PvP" Bar idea where you are forced to choose say 12-18 abilities and are prevented from using any ability not on your bar (Pass Huttball would be a freebie).

The WoW designers said one of the biggest regret they have was no implementing something that restricts the number of skills you can use at one time, and this is way before GW2. For some reason every MMORPG is making the same mistake that WoW openly regretted doing.

The WoW designers said one of the biggest regret they have was no implementing something that restricts the number of skills you can use at one time, and this is way before GW2. For some reason every MMORPG is making the same mistake that WoW openly regretted doing.

Probably because they just do a copy>paste from the WoW source code :D

I kid, I kid!

this is no issue wioth the key binds use shift and controll I bind everything with the vigilance guardian i wish had mor targeting options for allies so icould use guardian leap better. All the talents is what makes pvp fun if you wont to play with 8 abilities play a console game

Probably because they just do a copy>paste from the WoW source code :D

I kid, I kid!

But you'd think since almost every MMORPG stole from WoW's basic setup they'd pay attention when the guys who invented it said, "You know, limiting number of abilities usable at one time would've been a good thing."

If you can only have say 8 abilities, it'd be interesting to say do you want an interrupt or not? Do you even want an autoattack if it uses up one of your 8 abilities? What about defensive CDs? In fact that'd solve most of the Marauder issue since if you can only have 8 abilities, you can't have both your offense and defense at the same time and must give up something.

I believe you misunderstud me. Im not complaining on stimulating my brain while doing competetive pvp which is all about stimulating brain (fighting against human beings is much more demanding than fighting against AI - where additional abilities and piano playing once in a while might be kind of substitution for a real challenge which is combining reflex, wit and awaraness). Im complaining about need of using 5 million keybinds and another 5 million of modifier+keybinds all the time.

So your translation is missleaded.

You havent ever seen Bloodline Champions i believe. Play there, you have like i believe 6-7 class abilities there and somehow pvp battles over there are tense and skill rewarding much more than swtor you know... and hey... noone gets bored with the fighting. Why? Becouse timing, reflex and wit matters there... no need of piano-playing.

Why Age of Conan implemented combos insetad of piano playing over whoel keyboard? Why Blizzard reduced number of abilities? WHy they removed "on-use" from trinkets? What, you want to tell me that arena-players e-sport nerds there are lame and you would defeat them single-handenly? You want to deceive me or yourself here?

Look at shooters, where all you have there is aiming + handfull abilities - you call that boring? No, becouse its all about timing them right and perfect the aiming and strategies. Same applies to pvp in mmorpgs with one difference, insetad of aiming you perfect strategies, combos and timing against other players strategies, combos and timing. If you love piano-playing or you simply play class that dont have to do that, and if you gonna voich for leaving everything as it is, then you may one day wake up with noone to pvp with.

Listen guy, this isnt a shooter, this isnt bloodline champions, its not diablo 3, and its not wow.

Get over it and L2P

If you can only have say 8 abilities, it'd be interesting to say do you want an interrupt or not? Do you even want an autoattack if it uses up one of your 8 abilities? What about defensive CDs? In fact that'd solve most of the Marauder issue since if you can only have 8 abilities, you can't have both your offense and defense at the same time and must give up something.

That sounds a lot like D3 with two more ability slots. Well, that game bored me to tears. Most barbs progressed through inferno stacked with defensive abilities and passives, with very few offensive abilities.

I think more buttons is good. MMOs are not new anymore and they should be technically demanding. If anything, I would reduce the number of straightforward damage abilities, and add more reactive abilities (spell reflect is an awesome example of a fun, reactive ability).

We want to play some pvp, not be musicians to piano play the keyboard... Consolidate the skills and let us focus on awaraness whats happenign around, teamwork and timing insetad of constant full time piano playing we are forced to do if we want to use all the abilities in pvp... Its just bad design Bioware... PvP should be about reflex and quick thinking, not player vs keybinds tetris or situation where you force people to be clickers due to not enough comfortable hotkeys...

For example jaggernaut immortal:

- taunt enemy attacking our ally

- shield ally being attacked

- intercede ally for more protection

- aoe taunt for reduced dmg to ally

- aoe slow to make pvp with enemy acceptable (slow on ability that is not in main-rotation is also huge mistake - in pvp slow is crucial and should be on all classes' main abilities)

and thats just to start using actuall combat abilities... wihch also are scattered around to many skills not neccesarily...

Whats the point?

Why cant we have charge and intercede merged into one ability that works two ways accordindgly to type of our target (ally/foe)?

Why cant we have smash have the effect of aoe slow?

Why cant we have execute lightsaber throw effect merged with normall lightsaber throw (when enemy under x% of HP it do additional dmg)?

Why cant we have our 3 survival defensive abilities merged into 2 abilities(one short cooldown and one longer)?

Why do we need so many unneccesary keybinds?! Im fed up with this cooldown-tetris, hotkey piano-playing and i wont be a clicker you want me to be - if thats not gonna change i will just go play games where skill is measured with what i wrote above: wit, reflex and combat awaraness.

Swtor is first mmorpg i had to bind so many often-used shift+hotkeys... and im using half of the keyboard already...

Learn to consolidate abilities effects to show some respect towards your player's comfort. And for Christ's sake start playing your own game so we wont have to notify you about such a gamebreaking, funbreaking, UNCOMFORTABLE issues.

Learn to utilise chance-on-hit and chance-on-receiving-dmg effects... Just give our keyboards and hands a relief, cause its NO-GO at least for me atm. Im not willing to spend my time doing pvp this way.

The point is to make player often use only those keys:

Q,E,R,T,F,X,C,V,~,1,2,3,4, mouse3, mouse4

those are comfortable hotkeys we can use all the time without piano-playing.

But its not enough to bind all those abilities you created as individual abilities.... Learn from games like Bloodline Champions where you had only handfull of keybinds and the PvP was intense and skill based like in no other 3rd person battleground/arena-like game. Playing that game your hand was on contstant dance of quick strokes yet it was comfortable. In swtor you have to move it around the keyboard all the time and stress it with all the modifier keys... unless you want to just abandon some abilities and never use them >.<

On top of that you still didnt thought its enough and you implemented relics with "on use" ability... thats 2 aditional things to use in combat... this is madness. Please admit you are making game for a clickers and keyboard+keyboardmouse (like naga) only! Thats why you dont want us to have macros to utilise all those abilities by using only keyboard binds? Seirously, its 21th century.

edit:

to save you reading trough whole thread im copiyign here what concluded from discussion with people defending so many uncomfortable binds:

I believe that skill in a game is:

agility of the mind and bit of reflex

They believe that skill in a game is:

agility of fingers and a bit of thinking

so we cant understund each other.

edit2:

Smart way of implementing need of mastering the class' abilities is implementing just a handfull abilities with plenty of different effects accordingly to the state of the target, kind of the target and state of the caster. That applies to friend/foe, target HP, target CC status, target buffs/debuffs, range, caster buffs/debuffs (like one ability can be follow up of several others and have different effect with each of them), etc...

So you dont need piano playing and you still must invest a lot of practise in mastering the class. Thats how decent ability development looks like. Several comfy keys and plenty, plenty of outcomes dependant of their timing and follow-ups strategies.

OMG...buy Naga Mouse