Honestly, give snipers a 50m ability.

Jabbb

I do not play a sniper and I don't plan on it.

In my experience snipers are good at pecking at you from a distance but on their own are easily approached and killed by melee and ranged in warzones. Other than on Alderaan there are no big open areas without LoS, theres a tiny bit in civil war but its still kind of got LoS it just has to be approached through. So on Huttball and voidstar it's easy to get around and kill a sniper, and I'd rather have a much more mobile class that does just as much damage (marauder, PT, assassin, Op).

But they're good at pecking, which is kinda cool but not huge. So giving them a move that makes their pecking actually good and gives them a strong utility (attack constantly from afar). Would be countered fairly easily by LoSing and would make me want to take a Sniper.

From a PT/assassin.

Hell snipers today can kill you at a mile.........I wonder what they could do a zillion years in the future. 100 miles? LOL

So what give them a p shooter that does 100 damage at 50m?

Technically, from a lore standpoint, this happens a long time in the past.

What's next? Give 'em cloak and the nuke ability from Star Craft and instantly wipe everything?

I'll take a nuke for my Scoundrel... Maybe make Freighter Flyby / Orbital Bombardment castable while stealthed? =D

I already think the range for BHs is kind of silly, a lot of the time I'm like "How is that out of range?! He's right THERE, I think a missile can travel further than that with a thimbleful of fuel" so snipers having 50m is not out of the realm of possibility at all. Besides, OP said AN ability, not make every single ability 50m range, which I still wouldn't have a problem with.

Or like 150m max range with diminishing accuracy, so you could choose to stack accuracy and be able to hit from a mile away for significantly less than if you stack crit/surge/power, which would make accuracy useful.

Hell I wouldn’t say no to a large range buff, even though it wouldn’t help me in the areas I’m interested. I’m more interested in being able to keep the pressure on through heals since I cant, protect, heal or tank.

Sniper was/is my main. I really enjoyed the challenge and the pay off that could be achieved through proper play. Then I played a Commando and was a little bit demoralised at how easily they could pump out damage in comparison. (no real thought required).Not to mention having the extra utility of heals.

Hell grav round hits harder than snipe, debuffs, costs less, cant be dodged AND can be spammed until the cows go home

IMHO sniper needs greater DPS sustainability. Its energy resource sucks compared to other classes I have played (marauder, commando, powertech, assassin, juggernaut)

Snipers are fine; they have decent defensive cooldowns and a knockback and can do insane burst from 35m away while being unchargable. They don't need help (well maybe bad snipers that like to take cover in the middle of melee do--but I certainly hope Bioware doesn't balance around the 90% of bad marauders, sorcs, and snipers).

I have only one toon (sniper) fully geared bm. Very rarely I do 4.5k dmg (yeah on full green) even using whatever possibly to be used in game (expertise, relic, fully buffed). Our range is a huge issue because melee can jump 30 metres far on a sniper before you use any of your dmg ability then melee can push sniper right and left. Any damage taken must be carried until the moment of death.

I love my sniper, but in wzs what I do most is to try to avoid other players so I can support my teammates while they fight with others.

I believe what can be done is to increase the damage for snipers accordingly, for example commando can heal and it gives commando quite alot survivebility. Commando shouldn't do more dmg than sniper, which sniper has prety much no protection (with shield probe plus evasion you get 3k hits). I really do not get some classes, they heal wear heavy armor and hit like hell. Sniper wear medium armor hit ok and easy prey for any other class wearing equal gear.

Hopefully everything will be ok when 1.2 comes out.

Snipers are garbage no matter how good they are. I would never let a Sniper in a premade, for example. Why gimp your group intentionally?

Haha our guild sniper blows up fully BM geared targets in 3-4 seconds. Sure he might not get 500k damage a warzone, but his burst is insane and the AOE shield will be very strong in Alderaan/Voidstar clutch moments where you need that extra push to annhilate the other group (on offense or defense).

Plus the fact that a sniper is ranged means they shouldn't be able to stunlock or go invincible mode, adding a 50m skill would be laughable and a death sentence to any melee trying to run up to snipers. Ranged in and of itself is a huge advantage, but it often requires careful positioning to pull off effectively (i.e. a stupid ranged that takes cover in easily accessible areas and doesn't bother to position oneself will die 20 times and deal 20k damage in every warzone).

Edited by Anbokr

so you want to shoot accross there map into the spawn? rofl 50 meter is silly and i play a gunslinger but 40 meter be cool just a bit longer then sorcerer/sages but not to much Edited by mamosh

I'm all for giving snipers some minor buffs but giving them some ridiculous range like this (especially since it'd mean a ton of people would roll snipers) would make pvp really annoying...just about all the time.

I think most of you who are thinking these kinds of things are forgetting how many objects there are in WZs that take away LoS. An ability with 50m range for a sniper would be a situational ability.

It wouldn't provide a huge benefit fighting over the middle in huttball, but may be useful if perched on the top walkway and defending if the situation calls for it. Possibly also along the sides if the situation calls for it.

It wouldn't provide any benefit when fighting over the center turret in Alderan, but would be very beneficial when defending the side turrets. I think this would be a nice niche for snipers/slingers.

It would provide limited benefit when fighting over the first two sets of doors in Voidstar, but would be pretty good at the last set of doors. Not a huge benefit when going for either of the forcefield caps.

As I said, I think most people are overestimating how useful this would be in competitive WZs - all it really does is give this AC a couple of interesting ways to have a strong advantage over other classes.

Would be pretty lol in Ilum... but who really pvps much there anymore? :p

Snipers are fine; they have decent defensive cooldowns and a knockback and can do insane burst from 35m away while being unchargable. They don't need help (well maybe bad snipers that like to take cover in the middle of melee do--but I certainly hope Bioware doesn't balance around the 90% of bad marauders, sorcs, and snipers).

Do you get nose bleeds being up that high? Cause all us bad snipers and Gunslingers want to know.

Haha our guild sniper blows up fully BM geared targets in 3-4 seconds. Sure he might not get 500k damage a warzone, but his burst is insane and the AOE shield will be very strong in Alderaan/Voidstar clutch moments where you need that extra push to annhilate the other group (on offense or defense).

Haha, our guild marauder can kill a fully BM geared tank with one hit. Need nerf much?

/sarcasm

Also, I don't value an opinion of peep who hasn't got AC on a lvl 41 toon.

OP: Range is not the reason Sniper/GS is lacking at lvl 50. I'm tired of throwing out suggestions and reading them when BW will do what they do regardless. I'll give them a change to fix the pvp balance (it's close but not quite there) in 1.2 before moving on.

Ive got a 50 PT, 50 Sorc and 50 OP-dps.

Id be fine with a sniper having the longest shot in the game.

45m would give them 10m on the best range. Fine by me.

If it was a smaller damaging shot, that recycled relatively fast, say 1sec wind up and 2 sec cooldown, with little energy hindrance... I'm all for them sniping people.

Good idea.

are easily approached

Snipers are the hardest to approach as warrior because you cannot leap to them when they are in cover :)

And if you then are luckily to be able to walk to them (not having the sniper sit on top level as a good sniper should) they got snares and stuns that make them able to gain new range.

Want to give snipers something? I think they'd like a fix to entrench first and some sprint :)

the AOE shield will be very strong in Alderaan/Voidstar clutch moments where you need that extra push to annhilate the other group (on offense or defense).

Tanks (doesnt matter which spec) have a targetable aoe -30% damage reduction on 45 sec cooldown that doesnt require their team to stay in the same spot. Tanks also have a spammable single target version that is usually used on snipers/mercs. I assume you rarely go against competent players or even premades, so you will rarely see tanks using their taunts. A tank can cripple a snipers damage nomatter who the sniper targets.