A ten minute wait to revive? Really?

Kaalenarc

Feels fair to have that mounting revive time. Since it resets if you run from med center, all it's doing is keeping you from death marching through content. Otherwise you could just run to the objective. Revive. Run to next objective die/revive/die/revive... That's not really a rewarding play style. But people WILL do it if they CAN do it. So this helps discourage that behavior and encourage playing your class/companion to your best ability.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and pushing the amount of time from 30 secs to 10 mins is the arbitrary punishment.

why do respawn times exist in games? They started in competitive games because you had to pace the time it took for players to respawn. In SWTOR, the time is completely arbitrary.

It goes instant > 30 secs > 2mins > 10 mins. Just stop dying so much so quickly. AKA L2P.

Hello all - im a relatively new player here so forgive me if this seems a bit off but I am absolutely boggled by the fact that if I die a few times in a given area - I am then presented with a choice of running all the way back from a bind point, or lying on the floor for TEN minutes. In what universe does this equate to fun? the 30 second for the first then two min for the second, ok - i get that - but to have my first full Heroic-4 group have to sit there and wait for ten minutes after a wipe was certainly a disappointment...

Death is Mother Nature's way of telling you to slow down. :)

A 10 minute wait is SWTOR's way of telling you that you are dying too often in too short a time. Death is supposed to be painful right?

I FAR prefer this system to that used by some games in the past, where you lost XP with every death... Or my personal favorite was Diablo I where people could loot your corpse while you were dead.

Count your blessings my friend.

and pushing the amount of time from 30 secs to 10 mins is the arbitrary punishment.

why do respawn times exist in games? They started in competitive games because you had to pace the time it took for players to respawn. In SWTOR, the time is completely arbitrary.

Why die at all then, they should just make us invincible. There has to be some sort of punishment or what fun would it be if you could just respawn where you died everytime with no penalty. This is giving you a few tries on something without having to run back. Once you die they basically make it necessary for you to run back, unless you are the idiot that waits for 10 minutes lol.

Except it doesn't go from 30 secs to 10 mins. It starts 10 sec, then 30 sec, then 90 secs, and then it goes to 10 minutes, if you die within a short period of time. Which is the way the game is telling you that you are not high enough level/geared enough for what you are attempting. By the way, the chance to truly corpse runs is always there.

The on-the-spot rez timer makes sense - it stops people from butting their heads against content they can't defeat yet. If that timer wasn't there, how long would you spend trying to kill something that kept killing you and killing you and killing you?

Why die at all then, they should just make us invincible. There has to be some sort of punishment or what fun would it be if you could just respawn where you died everytime with no penalty. This is giving you a few tries on something without having to run back. Once you die they basically make it necessary for you to run back, unless you are the idiot that waits for 10 minutes lol.

Durability loss is a good punishment. Anything else is wasting my time.

Why not let us spend that 10 minutes playing our class to figure out what we did wrong...

or spend that time reviewing our combat log LOLOLOLOL

Edited by Stupiddrummer

Hello all - im a relatively new player here so forgive me if this seems a bit off but I am absolutely boggled by the fact that if I die a few times in a given area - I am then presented with a choice of running all the way back from a bind point, or lying on the floor for TEN minutes. In what universe does this equate to fun? the 30 second for the first then two min for the second, ok - i get that - but to have my first full Heroic-4 group have to sit there and wait for ten minutes after a wipe was certainly a disappointment...

Just return to the med center and walk if you don't want to wait the 10 minutes. It's not actually THAT big a penalty for, you know, being deceased. In past generations, video games didn't even exist and boys and young men had to go fight in things called "wars" where they faced the perils of death moment by moment - and many of them never complained about it. All to protect their family and friends and loved ones, so they could live in a better world with freedom and boundless opportunities. And, one day the world could repay their sacrifices by giving rise to an egocentric generation of sarcastic, ironic whiners who complain "how come when I'm dead I have to wait 10 minutes to live again or walk half a mile?" ;)

Seriously though, it's not a big penalty and just part of the game. At least you don't lose gear or money or stuff when you die, and you don't HAVE to do a corpse walk every time. It's actually quite a forgiving death system. Buck up. Kick ***. Die less. Be more awesome. Complain less. At least you aren't laying on the frozen ground, bleeding out in a trench next to some smelly French guy.

Edited by Sledgeweb

This is for the suicide bombers. those that want to just sprint back to the back of caves or suicide to the click point in areas etc

This somewhat kind of makes it a slower process

Only people against this would be people trying to solo the 4 man dailies on Belsalvis

Why not let us spend that 10 minutes playing our class to figure out what we did wrong.

U get 3 tries brfore you basically have to go back to medcenter. If you cant figure it out in 3 tries you are doing it wrong and need to go get better gear. There is not a single fight in this game that should take you more than 1 death to figure out.

Leveling in this game is a faceroll.

Why not let us spend that 10 minutes playing our class to figure out what we did wrong...

or spend that time reviewing our combat log LOLOLOLOL

Then go back to the med center...

Even so - thats often quite a run, or ride away - particularly if youre 3/4 of the way through a Heroic -4 zone. So again, Ill ask - what is the reason for such a lengthy downtime? I cant think of a gameplay based reason for one - can you? Ive played a lot of MMOs and Ive never seen that kind of design choice before. Did I miss something?

Don't die. This game has one of the lightest death penalties of any MMO I have ever seen.

My God. What do you want...your health bar to hit zero and you get some sparklies and some text across your screen but you get to keep moving along as if nothing happened?

Maybe its to give you time to think about why you are dying so much?

but to have my first full Heroic-4 group have to sit there and wait for ten minutes after a wipe was certainly a disappointment...

Why did your fellow heroes not revive you?

Is there a timer on the revive-ability???

Sorry in advance if that is the case.

If you're in a group then just have someone in your group res you. If you're just solo leveling you have no excuse for dying more than once a week. Your group had to be unbelievably bad to wipe in a heroic 4. It was just random bad luck and will probably never happen again. Heroics are pretty facerollable.

In SWTOR, the time is completely arbitrary.

No it's not.

First death has a short respawn timer. 2nd one a bit longer because if you died twice in a row you likely need to stop and rethink what you're doing.

3rd is even longer, at 2 minutes. Because if you die 3 times in a row you are clearly doing something wrong.

4th is 10 minutes because after that many deaths in a row, you are clearly in over your head and should likely head back to a quest hub and see if you missed stuff.

It actually follows a fairly reasonable progression. If it actually went from 30 sec's to 10 minutes you might have a point, but it doesn't, it goes from 30 sec's to 2 minutes to 10 minutes.

It's not supposed to be fun, it's a death penalty and not really much of a penalty IMO.

You shoulda seen EQ in 99. You might have had to run through multiple zones naked (because all your gear was on your corpse) then get a group to help you recover it. If you didn't recover within 24hrs playtime or one week real time your corpse rotted and you lost your stuff. Multiple deaths would build a huge experience penalty too, you could actually lose a level. Death mattered in that game back then, you really really didn't want to die.

I actually liked the hard core nature of that system, it quickly weeded out the stupid players. Things are so dumbed down now in MMO's players don't even realize how easy they got it.

I had a similar experience running a FP once, our tank dropped out and we decided to run it with a companion tank, after the 4th death it was evident the group wasn't good enough so we abandoned the FP.

Death is the games way of saying that you need to go away and get better, whether that be through gear, level or team mates.

Edited by ChimaeraUK

I am absolutely boggled by the fact that if I die a few times in a given area - I am then presented with a choice of running all the way back from a bind point, or lying on the floor for TEN minutes.

The ultimate QQ....

Other VERY popular games, you get to rez on the spot ONCE per hour.

:rolleyes:

You go back to the nearest Med Center, not the nearest binding point. There tend to be lots of Med Centers scattered about. I trip over them when exploring all the time.

It's not supposed to be fun, it's a death penalty and not really much of a penalty IMO.

You shoulda seen EQ in 99. You might have had to run through multiple zones naked (because all your gear was on your corpse) then get a group to help you recover it. If you didn't recover within 24hrs playtime or one week real time your corpse rotted and you lost your stuff. Multiple deaths would build a huge experience penalty too, you could actually lose a level. Death mattered in that game back then, you really really didn't want to die.

I actually liked the hard core nature of that system, it quickly weeded out the stupid players. Things are so dumbed down now in MMO's players don't even realize how easy they got it.

people who were toddlers are now graduating high school in that time span.

back in '99 gas was not 4$ a gallon and smokes were not 5$ a pack.

lets all rage at how times change.

With all due respect, death without penalty is not fun either. If you can't complete a task without wiping out 4 times then the task is probably to high a level for you and you should level up some more before attempting.