A ten minute wait to revive? Really?

Kaalenarc

Even so - thats often quite a run, or ride away - particularly if youre 3/4 of the way through a Heroic -4 zone. So again, Ill ask - what is the reason for such a lengthy downtime? I cant think of a gameplay based reason for one - can you? Ive played a lot of MMOs and Ive never seen that kind of design choice before. Did I miss something?

I suppose you prefer the WoW method?

1. Die

2. Release

3. Run to corpse

4. Revive

or...

1. Die

2. Release

3. Talk to Spirit Healer

4. Revive (usually distant from where your corpse was)

Atleast, Bioware has been clever enough to give players the OPTION to use the Medical Probe, but it also has limitations, in that you can't die repeatedly in a short span of time. For every death, the timer is increased. After a certain amount of time, the timer is reset. Unless you go to the nearest Medical Droid that is.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why did your fellow heroes not revive you?

Is there a timer on the revive-ability???

Sorry in advance if that is the case.

Well I actaully dont die all that often - In the Heroic-4 instance we had a newer player who accidentally agroed a second group of mobs and that proved to be more than we could handle. A short time later a wandering mob came up behind him. Both times the content was stuff we could handle - just unfortunate circumstances that caused a couple wipes. But as we sat there with a ten min penalty - it seemed like a waste of time.

Someone noted above its to prevent suicide runs - that makes a LOT more sense

Hello all - im a relatively new player here so forgive me if this seems a bit off but I am absolutely boggled by the fact that if I die a few times in a given area - I am then presented with a choice of running all the way back from a bind point, or lying on the floor for TEN minutes. In what universe does this equate to fun? the 30 second for the first then two min for the second, ok - i get that - but to have my first full Heroic-4 group have to sit there and wait for ten minutes after a wipe was certainly a disappointment...

I'm sure others have answered, but the medical probe is an option, one of convenience that shouldn't need to be used that often.

You can always rez back at the medical center, which you can do as much as you like and run back to where you were. That's generally how MMOs work.

I suppose you prefer the WoW method?

1. Die

2. Release

3. Run to corpse

4. Revive

or...

1. Die

2. Release

3. Talk to Spirit Healer

4. Revive (usually distant from where your corpse was)

Atleast, Bioware has been clever enough to give players the OPTION to use the Medical Probe, but it also has limitations, in that you can't die repeatedly in a short span of time. For every death, the timer is increased. After a certain amount of time, the timer is reset. Unless you go to the nearest Medical Droid that is.

You forgot about res sickness.

Hello all - im a relatively new player here so forgive me if this seems a bit off but I am absolutely boggled by the fact that if I die a few times in a given area - I am then presented with a choice of running all the way back from a bind point, or lying on the floor for TEN minutes. In what universe does this equate to fun? the 30 second for the first then two min for the second, ok - i get that - but to have my first full Heroic-4 group have to sit there and wait for ten minutes after a wipe was certainly a disappointment...

This is an upgrade... If you died in lotro and revived yourself. You would have to wait an HOUR to to revive again.

but to have my first full Heroic-4 group have to sit there and wait for ten minutes after a wipe was certainly a disappointment...

If your entire group is on a 10 minute cooldown, then I suggest you find another group.

There is absolutely no reason to get to the 10 minute rez timer, unless you are actually that bad at a pretty easy game.

You forgot about res sickness.

Thank you.

That alone, was a much harsher death penalty than the penalty that Bioware has in SWTOR. Granted, you only got "Res Sickness" if you revived at the Spirit Healer. Which is why "in my day", many did the long trek a la "corpse run" to get revived, to avoid the resurrection sickness. That debuff (for those who don't know), reduced ALL STATS by a large percentage, as well as DAMAGE DEALT by a considerable amount, for a 10 minute duration.

Be grateful for the convenience of having the Medical Probe, and do not question "Why" they have it the way it is.

Edited by Meurik

With all due respect, death without penalty is not fun either. If you can't complete a task without wiping out 4 times then the task is probably to high a level for you and you should level up some more before attempting.

I see a lot of this type of response here - maybe others have similar experiences but for me - ive never run up against something that was too hard. Every single time Ive gotten a ten min timer- ive waited it out - got back up and ended up beating the zone, mission, whatever.

Id like to see five min instead of ten. But at least i understand it better now. thanks.

Thank you.

That alone, was a much harsher death penalty than the penalty that Bioware has in SWTOR. Granted, you only got "Res Sickness" if you revived at the Spirit Healer. Which is why "in my day", many did the long trek a la "corpse run" to get revived, to avoid the resurrection sickness.

Be grateful for the convenience of having the Medical Probe, and do not question "Why" they have it the way it is.

While im new to THIS game - ive been MMOing quite a while (10+ years) - seen the harsh stuff (Eve Online, EQ1) and the not so harsh (SWG, EQ2)...

As for the sentiment of "dont question WHY" - uh hello? Im an MMO player - by rights isnt it expected of us to whine, complain, *****, cajole and badger the DEVs every chance we get? (kidding of course) but I do believe that there is nothing wrong with asking the question. Some of the best things in many MMOs have come at the players suggestions. And while im not saying getting rid of the timer is necessarily a great idea - i do think its always a good thing for players to give feedback.

I think its a very fair system ...and honestly if I was dieing as much as the OP I would find some friends to help me.

Just having the gear durability take a hit and removing the other death penalties (as someone suggested) would be pointless since its very easy to get credits in the game.

While im new to THIS game - ive been MMOing quite a while (10+ years) - seen the harsh stuff (Eve Online, EQ1) and the not so harsh (SWG, EQ2)...

As for the sentiment of "dont question WHY" - uh hello? Im an MMO player - by rights isnt it expected of us to whine, complain, *****, cajole and badger the DEVs every chance we get? (kidding of course) but I do believe that there is nothing wrong with asking the question. Some of the best things in many MMOs have come at the players suggestions. And while im not saying getting rid of the timer is necessarily a great idea - i do think its always a good thing for players to give feedback.

Perhaps I was a bit harsh when I said "Do not question WHY things are like this..."

The point is, the current "death penalty" in SWTOR is incredibly lenient compared to other MMOs. And as already stated, the "Medical Probe" timer, resets after a certain amount of time, and only increases if you die repeatedly in a short span of time.

In conclusion: Quit dying so often, or ask your group-members to revive you :D

Edited by Meurik

Log out and log back in when it takes you two mins to respawn, thats what I did when I played.

people who were toddlers are now graduating high school in that time span.

back in '99 gas was not 4$ a gallon and smokes were not 5$ a pack.

lets all rage at how times change.

he wasn't raging, just more or less stating that the times have changed, and people's perception of whats acceptable in video games now has certainly changed also.

I mean back in the day you could find a lot more games that were dead is dead, it doesn't mean that gaming has changed for the worse, its just gotten easier to enjoy the game and makes penalties less severe.

If you are in a 4 person group, how is it possible for all 4 of you to have the 10 minute timer? When you wipe, is everyone releasing and coming back?

Edit: As for the reasoning, its so you run content as intended. If you can revive non stop without any deterrent, then people could simply rush through groups of mobs and keep dying/rezzing till they get to the objective and rush back. Essentially bypassing most of the content. If the intention of a quest is to fight your way to objective marker and complete objective, thats what they want you to do. Not, rush past all obstacles to objective marker and activate objective.

Edited by Claymaniac

And to clarify, OP, the nearest med center is not necessarily where the bind point is.

Actually I can't remember where, but once when i clicked "revive at the medcenter" it sent me to a area of the map I had not been to yet and I got exp when I appeared, plus I had a new speeder location, more quests, it was a win/win! :D

I think it was somewhere on Hoth, not 100% sure though.

Edited by Rahl_Windsong

Durability loss is a good punishment. Anything else is wasting my time.

Why not let us spend that 10 minutes playing our class to figure out what we did wrong...

or spend that time reviewing our combat log LOLOLOLOL

You COULD spend those 10 minutes playing your character. You could release back to the med-center and run back, fighting mobs on the way or going over what you did wrong that caused you all to wipe.

Instead, you sit there and wait, because the game is somehow "forcing" you to?

As others have said, the reason it's making the time increase is because you're dying over and over and over in short succession. It's the game's way of saying "Hey, you, go back and repair, rethink this."

Well I actaully dont die all that often - In the Heroic-4 instance we had a newer player who accidentally agroed a second group of mobs and that proved to be more than we could handle.

Just a note for future endeavors: if your whole group wipes, only one of you has to revive, and he can raise the others. If you're all reviving yourselves each time, you're unnecessarily running up your "medical probe delay time".

Having said that, and as others have noted... there's something going very wrong, if you're dying that many times in that short a period of time. Rather than just slam your head against that wall, you might benefit from pulling back and reassessing what's not working. Is everyone focussing fire? Is the tank holding the tougher mobs? Is somebody using crowd control to lessen the number of things attacking you? Is everyone using their cooldowns effectively?

If there wasn't a delay, there would only be a few credits cost to dieing and that is really trivial. There should be considerable cost/consequence to dieing, especially repeatedly. Or people would just suicide plow into areas.

Even so - thats often quite a run, or ride away - particularly if youre 3/4 of the way through a Heroic -4 zone. So again, Ill ask - what is the reason for such a lengthy downtime? I cant think of a gameplay based reason for one - can you? Ive played a lot of MMOs and Ive never seen that kind of design choice before. Did I miss something?

Actually I do believe that it serves a game play purpose, and that is to keep you from rezzing next to a boss or something similliar and just zerg your way to victory. While this may not be as big of an issue solo, in a group where you would be resurrecting on different timers you could effectively tear down a lot of content with little to no skill at all.

The penalty is already seriously pitiful, and you want it even more so... man, the rate you guys are going with these requests, every time you log in, free purples will be mailed to you. Seriously, come on. Stop sulking and run back and be more careful next time. This game is already VERY forgiving when it comes to death. It doesn't need any more forgiveness.