Why people who are high rated should get better gear: Everyone will be happy!

kristoberg

Hey, I've been seeing a lot of posts lately about skilled players wanting better gear due to their superiority, and I see a lot of people say "No, then you will have advantage over me, and gear>Skill in this game". Others will say "I am not that good, so why give better players then me even better gear then I have?"

Answer to guy no. 1: If you are actually hindered killing the guy because he has better gear than you, but you claim you would beat him if everyone had the same gear, why don't you just grind the high rated gear youself?

Answer to guy no. 2: If you suck and are getting owned already as it is, then what difference does it make to you anyway?

Everyone is happy, give us good players gear to work for, rather than just to grind endless hours for. And don't give it to people who aren't good enough. Hell, even, make like Vanilla times, give only a RARE number of the best ones a supre rank with "Rank 14 PvP gear".

Any takers?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is coming from someone who's decent at PvP, but by no means the best. If you feel you need gear to outperform, in pvp, you're doing something wrong.

In PvE, it's different. In PvP gear should not be a point, I'd rather they just give everyone a uniform set and let them fight evenly and let those with a higher rating have a better looking set. Stats shouldn't matter, if you're good you don't need a stat advantage.

Edited by ilovethepink

If I wanted to compete in the sense your saying I wouldn't be playing an MMO, I would be playing chess, counter strike, street fighter 4, starcraft 2. Those games are way better than SWTOR in gameplay PvP, but I play for progression and achievement. There is no achievement in playing an unbalanced game forever with no goal.

I don't need better gear to outperform, I want it because I deserve it.

"Hey, I've been seeing a lot of posts lately about skilled players wanting better gear due to their superiority"

superiority? yeah,being good in videos games will get you far in real life

lolz

its sad that i can already see one thing i hated in my last mmorpg that has reared its ugly head in this one.you got the people who,if there were no gear wouldnt even do the stuff

Edited by CrunkShizzle

If I wanted to compete in the sense your saying I wouldn't be playing an MMO, I would be playing chess, counter strike, street fighter 4, starcraft 2. Those games are way better than SWTOR in gameplay PvP, but I play for progression and achievement. There is no achievement in playing an unbalanced game forever with no goal.

You DESERVE nothing. But thanks for being honest about not being a real PvPer but some other scrub that just wants stat advantages to roflstomp people with less time to spend grinding gear.

This is coming from someone who's decent at PvP, but by no means the best. If you feel you need gear to outperform, in pvp, you're doing something wrong.

In PvE, it's different. In PvP gear should not be a point, I'd rather they just give everyone a uniform set and let them fight evenly and let those with a higher rating have a better looking set. Stats shouldn't matter, if you're good you don't need a stat advantage.

I agree.... PvP used to be about competing against your fellow players, now it's about getting the best gear the fastest so you can slaughter all those who don't have it yet...

As I said in another post, if the only reason your pvp'ing is because of the gear grind then your pvp'ing for all the wrong reasons and developers need to stop trying to use a gear grind to get people to play pvp, if anything remove the pvp gear grind and I bet PvP becomes more popular, true will lose the ""Elitist"" group but im fine with that.

Hey, I've been seeing a lot of posts lately about skilled players wanting better gear due to their superiority, and I see a lot of people say "No, then you will have advantage over me, and gear>Skill in this game". Others will say "I am not that good, so why give better players then me even better gear then I have?"

Answer to guy no. 1: If you are actually hindered killing the guy because he has better gear than you, but you claim you would beat him if everyone had the same gear, why don't you just grind the high rated gear youself?

Answer to guy no. 2: If you suck and are getting owned already as it is, then what difference does it make to you anyway?

Everyone is happy, give us good players gear to work for, rather than just to grind endless hours for. And don't give it to people who aren't good enough. Hell, even, make like Vanilla times, give only a RARE number of the best ones a supre rank with "Rank 14 PvP gear".

Any takers?

Since you're trolling us, I'll troll you.

Make it like Vanilla and remove the pvp stats and let people use whatever gear is available for pvp. Then even if you choose to spend a majority of time pve'ing, you can still compete in pvp and vice versa.

Translation: I suck at any game where the playing field is even, I need an advantage in order to win.

I agree.... PvP used to be about competing against your fellow players, now it's about getting the best gear the fastest so you can slaughter all those who don't have it yet...

As I said in another post, if the only reason your pvp'ing is because of the gear grind then your pvp'ing for all the wrong reasons and developers need to stop trying to use a gear grind to get people to play pvp, if anything remove the pvp gear grind and I bet PvP becomes more popular, true will lose the ""Elitist"" group but im fine with that.

Why not? I am probably the best player on my server, where I turn around hutball/voidstar matches as soon as I join them if my team is the underdog. Everyone on the server looks up to me, and me participating (I have full BM), should reward me in other ways because I am helping others.

Then there is you for example, who is probably less skilled than me and has worse gear than me, why should you get the same gear I get carrying you in warzones? If there were only 8 of you in one team you would never get done the dailies you needed, if it wasn't for people like me. Better players deserve better gear.

Edited by kristoberg

High rating reqs. forces people to play certain comps. I prefer bring the player not the class.

Also, if you are a good player you do not need the gear advantage. You would be happy with a title that shows how long your epeen is-if that.

Also the only thing R14 (I did a run for R13, R14 would have been... crazy) showed was the willingness to commit a week of 24/7 PvP grinding.

*edit* just readread your post. The notion that R14 was BEST in anything discounts all credibility of any PvP skill you want to claim. R14 was farming randoms with a pre before xserver as even introduced.

Edited by Twor

I agree with the no gear stance.

I have a mixture of Cent/Champ on my 50 Commando and do just fine in PVP. Honestly, I did fine b4 I got all that stuff because my gear was modded as good as it could be. I can stand toe to toe with most BH's I run against, mainly because all they can do is spam tracer missle. Matter of fact, the only class that really gives me grief is a decently played IA or Smuggler in stealth/melee spec. But, the fact is, most toons don't have good players at the wheel.

And not only this, but I can't believe some of the gear I see on people. Green implants and ear pieces. Weapons with lvl 43 upgrades, orange gear with green or blue upgrades (!!) In the pre 50 bracket, I ran across a guy with a GREEN WEAPON!! When I called this to his attention his response was "But it's a lvl 40 weapon" /facepalm

People would go a LONG way to being better if they bothered to do a gear check every now and then. It's mind boggling to think these people can compete in anything.

This game really doesn't need a separate set of gear or a stat for PVP.

Why should I have to grind anything? Gear grinds are stupid.

What you want is gear that keeps getting better and better so really nobody can ever catch up unless they have no life. You want an I win button that follows you along.

Bottom line, unless you're losing your 1 v 1's to BM's barely leaving them with almost no HP, then it isn't the gear, it's you.

Gear bonus is not that much. And like I said before if you are losing 1 v 1 against a BM with more than half his hp bar left, then gear is not a factor. At all. He's is just flat out better than you, get over it.

Edited by Dego_Locc

Why not? I am probably the best player on my server, where I turn around hutball/voidstar matches as soon as I join them if my team is the underdog. Everyone on the server looks up to me, and me participating (I have full BM), should reward me in other ways because I am helping others.

Then there is you for example, who is probably less skilled than me and has worse gear than me, why should you get the same gear I get carrying you in warzones? If there were only 8 of you in one team you would never get done the dailies you needed, if it wasn't for people like me. Better players deserve better gear.

Doubtful. Based on your qqing about needing gear as a crutch, I'd say you're middle of the pack AT BEST.

You do realize rating mean nothing in a game like this, they always up the level etc.. any player can just pvp for rating lol.. you dont need better gear you need to actually play the game and not ego trip on more gear.. lol... the gear us fine

You do realize rating mean nothing in a game like this, they always up the level etc.. any player can just pvp for rating lol.. you dont need better gear you need to actually play the game and not ego trip on more gear.. lol... the gear us fine

You realize you lose rating when you loose, right? ... :confused:

If you ever were high rated in a game, you would also know the rating you lose is higher than the rating you recieve at high ratings. Also, the competition is harder, so loss will peak for most players, unless you are one of the best; which should give you a reward.

Also like to point out gear really mean nothing even if u were 1 vs 1 at level 10 its the same thing just now your adding levels of more abilities to the mix, which are not classed for direct pvp content, if you want the whole picture then world pvp and I'm still not sure they let you use ur other abilities against players on that even...

Any takers?

The problem for most people is the grind. And the part of the grind where you get killed alot because of the gear difference. For me another problem is when I have the good gear that I often wonder if I would have won this or that fight, if I had worse gear.

In my personal opinion gear driven PvP is total crap. There should be other incentives for people who PvP, and it should mainly be geared around having fun and being balanced, and not grinding better gear so you can own noobs better. I've once killed two smugglers at once with my Juggernaut TANK spec. And believe me, that wasn't because I'm so great at PvP, but could simply be attributed to them most likely PvPing in greens, while I'm in full Champion. It's just meh. But if people want gear to be their god, I can't change it.

But hey, we couldn't expect Bioware to reinvent the wheel. Maybe GW2 will be more original. Provided their server vs server pvp doensn't turn into one huge disaster. Definitely will be more interesting without PvP gear and according pvp boosting stat.

"Hey, I've been seeing a lot of posts lately about skilled players wanting better gear due to their superiority"

superiority? yeah,being good in videos games will get you far in real life

lolz

its sad that i can already see one thing i hated in my last mmorpg that has reared its ugly head in this one.you got the people who,if there were no gear wouldnt even do the stuff

So because you disagree you have to get personal ? Please get out of these forums, people like you makes this place stupid.

This my fine sir simply made my day :)

People are so dumb on this forum

Cant tell if he is truely a troll

ROFL, thank you sir you just proved my point about you on my previous reply..

Edited by Monoth

Translation: I suck at any game where the playing field is even, I need an advantage in order to win.

That is not the translation no.

This guy wants to be rewarded for his efforts. You don't do stuff without a purpose, and it seems purposeless to get high rating just for the bragging right.

You people immediately assume that he wants better gear so he can bash others easily. How ever that is often not the case. When you fight so hard to get a certain rating or w/e you'd like to get a reward for it, and I dont even care if its like ''new look and + 1 willpower'' you just want a damn reward so it isnt so pointless.

This is the for ever ungoing discussion between players who play to compete vs players who cry and whine because they are not entitled to the same rewards for no effort.

Please wake up. MMO WILL NEVER reward your casual behind. How would you like Operations to not drop gear.

MMO is all about grind, effort, time & reward - this model will not change just because you are a miserable human who doesnt understand basic logic as work=money, no work = no money.

Take a step back, and actually listen to what you are asking for, and dont give me these retarded arguments like I PAY MONEY TOOOOO. You people disgust me

^this, a million times over.

Because I am the best I deserve even better gear? Is that your argument? Seriously?

When I talk about most pvpers really do not want a competitive match all you need to do it look at this guy.

He like many just want an Iwin button so he can roflpawn people with his gear advantage.

Yes the rich need to get richer....

You do understand that because of the ilum valor exploitation that the devs had to scrap the valor system as obviously many many people were involved and if they banned them all they would have to take a huge hit on the bottom line.

People should be pvping for fun not to grind gear. People will take the easy road on the way to that gear, afking, hacks, exploits come to mind. If there was no golden carrot most of the cheating in game would go away. Of course there will always be some people that will alway hack.

The bigger the reward the more people feel pressured to get it as fast as possible using whatever means whether they are legal or not.