First impressions of SWTOR

Psych-ward-hero

Just bought this game finally,and here are my thoughts.

-It's a very well polished game

-graphics are pretty damn good for an MMO

-They seem to have a large dev team dedicated to giving players constant updates

-soundtrack is awsome. to me a soundtrack can put the roleplay into an MMO,but i guess that is just my bias to the IP.

-The storylines/voice overs are great and innovative. It gives a total immersion feeling

If bioware can keep constant updates going, planned expansions, and listen to there players, they will have a very successful game for years to come.

The game does have good LOW LEVEL polish. Its a mess at 50. PVP is a total mess.

The biggest problem with this game is it has no direction at cap, theres too little to do and many of the tools most of us have come to expect via UI tools, macros, meters etc are also absent. The whole legacy thing is kinda disconcerting to me. The devs are basically telling us to roll alts because they know theres nothing to do at 50 and it looks like there won't be much more anytime soon.

I am not sure if its the devs or if it is EA pushing the game out early but this game is not a finished product right now and should never have been released. I think it might appeal to non-mmo vets more than people who have a certain set of expectations.

Have you ever noticed how everything is "coming soon"?! Game is in beta.

This is why I have unsubscribed. As much as I enjoyed the leveling experience (once) I feel that the game needed more time before it was to be launched, I don't want to pay for a beta experience. I'll think about resubscribing as soon as they have addressed many of the issues that have been irritating me.

It is young. I bet in about a couple years from now there will be loads and loads of endgame content.

I find it hard people are so instant gratification these days. Aren't MMO's suppose to be the exact opposite? I mean your suppose to build your toons up over time.

It is young. I bet in about a couple years from now there will be loads and loads of endgame content.

I find it hard people are so instant gratification these days. Aren't MMO's suppose to be the exact opposite? I mean your suppose to build your toons up over time.

That would be cool, I'll be sure to re-sub in a couple years and find out.

Don't listen to all the haters saying there is nothing to do at 50. They are lazy, there is quite a bit to do. When a lfg queue comes they'll be back in droves.

raid and pvp? wow thats a lot. its sad when i have more to do in swgemu than i have here...

Then play that. Is raiding and PvPing not end game *********** content? I'm not quite sure what you people want. Is the end goal of an mmo not to get the best gear possible and PvP? If PvP is not your thing then the alternative is farm gear and show off your epeen? Yes? If those two things are not end game objectives please tell me what is.

I am not sure if its the devs or if it is EA pushing the game out early but this game is not a finished product right now and should never have been released. I think it might appeal to non-mmo vets more than people who have a certain set of expectations.

I think the game is most certainly "finished." Other than the legacy system, I can't think of anything else that's "coming soon." The combat and overall gameplay is rather well done at launch. Changes have been made, but that's expected of MMOs. MMOs are always changing, whether you consider that a plus or a minus.

Having that "certain set of expectations" is partly your own fault, Mr. MMO Vet. When new games launch, they are new. They don't have the same feel that a game that's been out for several years has. They don't have the same amount of content or features. TOR has a good deal to do for how long it's been out and there's already plenty more on the way. In the three months since launch, we've already seen a new Flashpoint with another new Flashpoint, a new Operation, and a new Warzone all coming within the next month. Better yet, there's a good deal of people that haven't even gotten to the stuff that's already available. I've yet to complete an Operation or even attempt a Hard Mode Flashpoint. I just haven't gotten there yet because I've been experiencing the rest of the game.

Also, games are different. I find TOR to be a true MMORPG rather than just an MMO. There is a very strong RPG element to go with the multiplayer aspect. It's a story-driven MMO developed by BioWare, so it should be no surprise that the real meat of the game lies within the journey to max level. Bringing over expectations from other games just doesn't really work here. I don't expect the same kind of game from Uncharted as I do from Mass Effect. They're both cover shooters, right? They're both on my PS3, right? That doesn't mean they should be identical. If they were, then why would you play and pay for a new game?

This game actually came out with very poor foundations for a MMO (I am not talking about endgame content, which is rarely rich/perfect at launch for MMOs, but the actual game foundations, which should allow you to play from day 1)...

Bioware people themselves admitted, at the Guild Summit, that many basic MMO tools, such as a LFG mecanism (of any sort, I do not think automatisation is an obvious improvement in that area), proper guild tools, GTN, etc..., were missing or poorly implemented at launch.

What you feel just shows how limited is your experience in the field and/or how unreliable is your judgement in gameplay matters :).

Edited by Celorilm

raid and pvp? wow thats a lot. its sad when i have more to do in swgemu than i have here...

Yeah just those things and those things only.../rollseyes.

There's plenty to do at 50. Some people lack the creativity and the drive to bother with doing any of it.

There are also a lot of selfish, narcissistic people who are of the "now I got mine so screw the rest of you," persuasion. Instead of helping others achieve goals and playing the game like an mmo, they reach their own goal then bust out a rant on the forums about how there is nothing to do.

MMO's used to be about community, and helping each other. Not so anymore so it seems.

Edited by Sparklehorse

Yeah just those things and those things only.../rollseyes.

There's plenty to do at 50. Some people lack the creativity and the drive to bother with doing any of it.

There are also a lot of selfish, narcissistic people who are of the "now I got mine so screw the rest of you," persuasion. Instead of helping others achieve goals and playing the game like an mmo, they reach their own goal then bust out a rant on the forums about how there is nothing to do.

MMO's used to be about community, and helping each other. Not so anymore so it seems.

so raiding, pvp, and helping others. good list

Not everyone likes treating the game like a second life. As you might have noticed, casuals are the main target of any new game. Take League of Legends as an example. Everybody slandered the game in it's infancy comparing it to Dota and Hon, saying it's way to casual and that it has no e-sport status, that it'll be soon forgotten. Fast forward a few years and it's the most watched game in any e-sport event, not to mention boasting a huge playerbase.

Le: LoL is a very good example for a free to play game done right, to all the f2p haters around here saying a game is failing if it's going f2p

Edited by TobiV

Not everyone likes treating the game like a second life. As you might have noticed, casuals are the main target of any new game. Take League of Legends as an example. Everybody slandered the game in it's infancy comparing it to Dota and Hon, saying it's way to casual and that it has no e-sport status, that it'll be soon forgotten. Fast forward a few years and it's the most watched game in any e-sport event, not to mention boasting a huge playerbase.

This guy makes a very solid point.

As many others complain that there's not enough to do, I'm experiencing BioWare pushing out content faster than I'm getting to existing content. I've yet to complete an Operation, a Hard Mode Flashpoint, or get anywhere past rank 25 Valor. In a few weeks, there will be a new Flashpoint added on top of the one that I still haven't done (Kaon Under Siege), a new Operation on top of the two I haven't done, and a new Warzone, which hopefully just erases Huttball.

the game lack

Exploration (planet 1-4 are just boring) the game dosent feel alive.

Open world pvp dosen't work.

crafting (the worst crafting in a mmo i have ever seen) everyone picked bio

no player guild progress/no house/ space ship mission suck it's main streem you can't fly free in the space.

there is no freedom at all in this game.

But the bigest problem is the fanboys that don't agree with the mmo vets.

Hardcore guilds are leaving this game lack of stuff to do at lvl 50/ pvpers are going to be out of here as soon as GW 2 reales.

Low server population, it takes 30-45 min to find most of the time ppl give up.

casuals gamers that plays this game loves it, but this is not a good mmo, a good mmo gets you addicted and you want to play or check your charecter 24/7 the community is alive, this game is dead

this game is far from finished

Edited by FriscoFrez

hm well i do like how the game is, and i also looking forward to later updates.

as for end game, well it lack directions some poeple say, but most MMOs i tired(that thats a long~~list) once you get to cap when it new lack direction if they had any to start with(pointintg a finger a wow here poeple as a sample :p) but as they add patches and updates we get more to do and newer option be given to us to use.

Funny how people can see exactly the opposite of others. Or is that sarcasm?

I think his opinion (which are close to mine, except I turn soundtrack off in all my games) is reflective of the vast majority of subscribers. The General Discussion forum, however, is overrepresented by disgruntled hardcore players.

Edited by Kthx

I think his opinion (which are close to mine, except I turn soundtrack off in all my games) is reflective of the vast majority of subscribers. The General Discussion forum, however, is overrepresented by disgruntled hardcore players.

Agree, I am enjoying this game for what it is : A GAME. I am having a blast leveling my character to cap and will enjoy rolling alts for once. This game has room to improve as does every other game just released, but for now I think it is the most entertaining game ever for the 1-50 leveling experience.