Color Wars!

Asturias

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually he isn't right. Regardless of whether Anakin "had time" to make a red crystal or not, he successfully used a blue lightsaber as a dark Lord of the Sith. He had already been christened as Darth Vader, and had already killed a room full of younglings, not to mention helping to destroy almost all of the Jedi at the temple.

There are plenty of ways they could have worked around this. Vader could have gone to a vault in the temple where the red crystals were and pulled a red lightsaber, for instance. Or Sidious could have popped one out of his pocket after christening him as Darth Vader.

They didn't, because there is no magical force that prevents any one of any side using the other crystals. It was just a matter of pomp and tradition, one that was broken several times in no uncertain terms.

Canon supports the use of both types and all colors of crystals on all sides. These are the facts, and they are undisputed.

Funny at best with your logic. I can see it now....

Sidious "Darth Vader don't forget to change your crystal color, can't have you salutering younglings with that color".

By that logic alone the element of surprise is gone at the first sight of him igniting his saber or the timeto the emperor didn't want to waste before the Jedi reacted to lose of several prominant Jedi that just got killed.

Get real buddy, Vader had it changed in EP 4,5 and 6. This is a MMO some restrictions need to be applied. Like it or not small details are bigger than you relize when playing a MMO.

Lucas showed Anakin using the blue lightsaber in ROTS -- because that is the lightsaber Obi-Wan eventually gives Luke in ANH (after he cuts off his hand). It's one more way of connecting ROTS to ANH.

And besides, it was epic seeing blue VS green on their epic duel.

In this case it leads to a visual anomalies a carefully constructed single player experience never would allow. Thus there needs to be some visual restriction present, for you can not eliminate the effect of so many players with the backdrop alone. It drowns easily in the added noise.

---

ALL of the single-player Jedi games allowed you to use whatever crystal color you wanted.

Get real buddy, Vader had it changed in EP 4,5 and 6. This is a MMO some restrictions need to be applied. Like it or not small details are bigger than you relize when playing a MMO.

I'm glad pretty much every videogame company that's done this IP so far disagrees with you. I like my purple saber and I want to keep using it here too.

By that logic alone the element of surprise is gone at the first sight of him igniting his saber or the timeto the emperor didn't want to waste before the Jedi reacted to lose of several prominant Jedi that just got killed.

Welcome to why it makes no sense from a RP point-of-view to broadcast your major life decisions by the color of your lightsaber. The first time you lit up that red saber, another Jedi would cut your head off because he knows you're "evil". And that... is really dumb.

Edited by Caelrie

I think all of you are missing a very fundamental part of this argument. The crystals were restricted by alignment not faction. Before this change there were still Sith running around with blue lightsabers and Jedi with Red. All this patch did was allow the player to choose their color. I personally switched from a blue to a red and by your own standards the change allowed me to become more "traditional". If you have a complaint its clearly not that the alignment restrictions were lifted.

If your argument is instead that they should be restricted by faction then it is a bit more valid. However you mention that a Jedi shouldn't be able to use red because it would stir up suspicion but what if your Jedi dislikes the council and their policies and simply stands for the republic? The reverse is also true a sith who hates other sith and only believes in the empire (That's how I play my character) why wouldn't he use a blue lightsaber as effectively a middle finger to the dark council?

The reality stands that each individual whether in the star wars universe or in game had the right to choose and that's all you're seeing here. Exar chose to keep blue. Vader chose red. Maul chose red. Mace chose Purple. None of them were forced into one color or another. It was a choice. All Bioware has done is give us the same option. If you want to be the blue lightsaber wielding sith who hates the council go for it. Or if you want to be the loyal servant use red. Go for it. It's your choice.

And on a side note about the complaints that a bunch of pure blooded sith running around the republic would kill the lore. That belief is just ridiculous. Sith are not born innately evil. It is perfectly reasonably that one could have been adopted by the order and grown up a jedi (It even happens in the game with Lord Praven). The only complaint that makes sense would be the amount of Sith would be more than what should be expected but if that's an honest complaint than there should be considerably more humans than any other species and we should be stopping players from choosing an alien race. Which I think we can all agree would be absurd.

I think having no restrictions will put it at about the right amount of people using off-color sabers, when you factor in the NPCs (which are part of the universe and story in this game).

Player-wise, you'll have people like me that stick to the standards. My Sith will use red, my Jedi will use blue/green.

You'll have people that play a good Sith but like to use a red saber because they're Sith.

You'll have people that play evil Jedi and like to use a blue saber because they're still Jedi.

And you'll have Jedi that use red and Sith that use blue. That will be one portion of the players and a tiny portion of the total saber users in the universe (players and NPCs).

In the lore... the movies and the EU... the people that use off-faction lightsabers exist, but they are rare.

In this game, you'll have thousands upon thousands of NPCs using the appropriate colors and thousands of players using the appropriate color.

And you'll have one sub-group that doesn't. That fits the lore exactly.

If you're playing and see a Sith run by with a blue saber, it's easy to say it breaks your immersion until you do a quest and kill a dozen Sith using red sabers.

Removing restrictions actually brings it closer to lore than restrictions because it will mean they exist but are proportionately rare.

There were too many pages for me to go through and see of this had already been said so far.

The origins of the colors are very SIMPLE and came right out of the mouth of George Lucas himself.

The Red = Dark Side and Blue = Light Side was introduced simply so that viewers could distinguish the good guy from the bad guy in Episode IV & V.

The first appearance of the green lights saber is in Episode VI. The origin of this is also very SIMPLE. Lucas said that the blue saber color did not look well in the Tatooine opening sequence. He made it green for the purpose of better contrast against the desert background so that it could be seen easier by people watching the film. The lore for this worked out well because Luke had lost his light saber at the end of Episode V and had to build a new one.

Also, this whole "Ilum is the only place that you could get blue and green saber crystals" idea was a later concoction by fan fiction not George Lucas. Luke Skywalker never spoke to Yoda or spectral Obi Wan from the time he lost his light saber (and hand) at the end of Episode V until the time we see him using a green light saber at the beginning of episode VI. How would he have known about the existence of Ilum and the saber crystals there? All of his knowledge of the Jedi and their practices came from Obi Wan and Yoda, and we already established that they didn't tell him about Ilum.

The whole thing boils down to the fact that George Lucas intended for blue/green to be light side only and red to be dark side only. He never even intended there to be ANY other colors than those 2. The only exception to that last sentence is the purple crystal, and he ONLY did that because Samuel L. Jackson requested to have a purple saber. The fact that we even have general use purple, orange, yellow, white, (red, blue, green, yellow)-black, and pink crystals means that this game has ALREADY deviated from the original lore that George Lucas intended.

I know that hardcore RPers have the most problems with this. If you are that much into RP, I really don't see you having too much of an issue with creating a story as to why your light side character has a red saber. Perhaps your carebear Jedi Guardian killed a Sith Lord, and he found that the Sith's saber was more powerful than his own so he traded up. Perhaps your dark side human inquisitor was assigned to infiltrate a Republic installation, so she killed a Jedi and took his green light saber so that she wouldn't draw suspicion.

The point here is that the lore has already deviated so far from what George Lucas intended that there really is no need to be so rigid with the color restrictions anymore. Relax your sphinctor, stop trying to control the game for everyone else, and just have some fun.

If your argument is instead that they should be restricted by faction then it is a bit more valid.

That's what we want I suppose. What I'd like at least. When everyone's a special exception it looks like ****... Not to even start with the purple and cyan Blasters, they look very weird to say the least.

I think all of you are missing a very fundamental part of this argument. The crystals were restricted by alignment not faction. Before this change there were still Sith running around with blue lightsabers and Jedi with Red. All this patch did was allow the player to choose their color. I personally switched from a blue to a red and by your own standards the change allowed me to become more "traditional". If you have a complaint its clearly not that the alignment restrictions were lifted.

If your argument is instead that they should be restricted by faction then it is a bit more valid. However you mention that a Jedi shouldn't be able to use red because it would stir up suspicion but what if your Jedi dislikes the council and their policies and simply stands for the republic? The reverse is also true a sith who hates other sith and only believes in the empire (That's how I play my character) why wouldn't he use a blue lightsaber as effectively a middle finger to the dark council?

The reality stands that each individual whether in the star wars universe or in game had the right to choose and that's all you're seeing here. Exar chose to keep blue. Vader chose red. Maul chose red. Mace chose Purple. None of them were forced into one color or another. It was a choice. All Bioware has done is give us the same option. If you want to be the blue lightsaber wielding sith who hates the council go for it. Or if you want to be the loyal servant use red. Go for it. It's your choice.

And on a side note about the complaints that a bunch of pure blooded sith running around the republic would kill the lore. That belief is just ridiculous. Sith are not born innately evil. It is perfectly reasonably that one could have been adopted by the order and grown up a jedi (It even happens in the game with Lord Praven). The only complaint that makes sense would be the amount of Sith would be more than what should be expected but if that's an honest complaint than there should be considerably more humans than any other species and we should be stopping players from choosing an alien race. Which I think we can all agree would be absurd.

People like you bother me in the sense that you try to justify a reason that doesn’t warrant the reasoning behind it. Regardless of how GL decided the color scheme, the final cut was established as Red was the color of a Sith and Green/Blue was the color of a Jedi. These are the primary colors of the two factions that have been established.

When playing a MMO you have countless others that join/share in that same world unlike a single player game. Restrictions are needed to keep the immersion of the core fundamentals for all players. When grouping for raiding/PvP it will be immersion breaking when all you see is a bunch of Sith using Blue/Green/Purple/Yellow/Pink other than Red. MMO are huge communities of players all sharing the same world as you play in and when one group of people whines about a cosmetic design that pleases fans who don’t really understand the core of it all ruins it.

These types of colors other than core factions that establish the two sides should be a rarity but what BioWARE needs to do is change the shade variations of the color along with the how the blade pulsates or emits its energy. Rare color crystals should be a challenge and I am talking about a real challenge for people who wish to seek out rare crystals and have consequences within the story that you as the player are willing to display to that faction you hold allegiance to.

I guess you didn't realize that synthetic crystals could be of any color meaning they don't have to be red.

Synthetic Crystals, it’s a Sith Thang!

Though synthetic crystals were ordinarily unsuitable for use in light sabers, the Sith discovered that they could create synth-crystals that were energized, magnetized, and modified with the power of the dark side of the Force in special furnaces, causing the crystal to glow in harmonic vibration. As a result of their artificial origins, synthetic crystals created more powerful light saber blades and could be more easily augmented. Also, their common usage by Sith and other Darksiders after this discovery caused synthetic crystals to become something of a staple among such groups, and their use among Jedi was strongly discouraged.

Most synthetic crystals were red, a result of the forging process, and oftentimes the initiate's intentional manipulations, as most individuals who utilized synthetic crystals were Darksiders. The red-hued light saber blades generated by such crystals were often nicknamed "bloodshine blades". However, synth-crystals could be made in any color, requiring only slight adjustments of the creation process and special manipulations through the Force during the forging. Jedi frowned on the use of synthetic crystals in lightsabers, most individuals who utilized colors other than red were Darksiders looking to hide their affiliations

1. But Exar Kun had a blue light saber!

Explanation: The lightsaber of Jedi Knight Exar Kun was a device that was initially created to produce a single beam of blue-white energy. However, upon his ascension to Dark Lord of the Sith, Kun redesigned his lightsaber based on instructions hidden within an antiquated Sith holocron. The finished product was a double-bladed weapon imbued with dark side energy, from which sapphire blades materialized up to 1.5 meters from either end of the hilt.

(Exar Kun had learned long lost secrets from a holocron that forged the look but it is a synthetically made crystal infused with the dark side of the force.) A rarity your character is not significant enough to overshadow and take away the iconic look of this character.

2. But Anakin used his Blue Light Saber in EP3!

Explanation: Anakin just turned to the Dark Side of the Force and was immediately sent to kill the remaining separatist and exterminate the Jedi order. He did not have time, I repeat he did not have time to make a Synthetic Crystal.

(What you see in the movies and a design restriction in a video game is two different things. There is a reason why these three were restricted because BioWARE knows they are the iconic colors of the two factions.)

3. But Mace Windu had a purple colored crystal!

In the Prequel Trilogy, Mace Windu's unique purple lightsaber was a functional change but Samuel L. Jackson, who played Windu, asked for a lightsaber to match his favorite color, and the distinct shade helped his character stand out on the battlefield from the red, blue, and green of the other lightsabers.

A rarity, nuff said!

Jedi used natural crystals!

According to The Jedi Path: A Manual for Students of the Force, lightsaber colors originally indicated a Jedi's role in the Order. For example, Jedi Consulars, who focused on non-violence, carried green lightsabers to symbolize peace. Jedi Guardians, on the other hand, carried blue lightsabers as a symbol of uniformity and solidarity.

The lack of lightsaber color variation in the movies is a lack of colored crystals. According to Jedi vs. Sith, the Empire (Past/Present/Future) quarantined or destroyed many sources of lightsaber crystals. This left the Jedi with mostly Ilum crystals, which can only produce green or blue blades.

Conclusion

Red/Blue/Green needs to be restricted to their respective factions. The symbols of the big three colors are iconic to the faction which they have been displayed upon. Posters, movies, books, cartoons, toys and comics is proof enough that Red is the faction color of the Sith, while Blue/Green is the faction color of the Jedi, regardless of a select few iconic characters.

Flame away!

I think having no restrictions will put it at about the right amount of people using off-color sabers, when you factor in the NPCs (which are part of the universe and story in this game).

Player-wise, you'll have people like me that stick to the standards. My Sith will use red, my Jedi will use blue/green.

You'll have people that play a good Sith but like to use a red saber because they're Sith.

You'll have people that play evil Jedi and like to use a blue saber because they're still Jedi.

And you'll have Jedi that use red and Sith that use blue. That will be one portion of the players and a tiny portion of the total saber users in the universe (players and NPCs).

In the lore... the movies and the EU... the people that use off-faction lightsabers exist, but they are rare.

In this game, you'll have thousands upon thousands of NPCs using the appropriate colors and thousands of players using the appropriate color.

And you'll have one sub-group that doesn't. That fits the lore exactly.

If you're playing and see a Sith run by with a blue saber, it's easy to say it breaks your immersion until you do a quest and kill a dozen Sith using red sabers.

Removing restrictions actually brings it closer to lore than restrictions because it will mean they exist but are proportionately rare.

My arguement is not about Light side/dark side choice but that the primary colors that have been established by the movies and countless other media should be exclusive to that faction. The big three need to be exclusive and I don't have a problem with a light sided sith using a Red color saber because lets face it a light sided sith is not really good you just take a different approach to handleing things.

Edited by Asturias

I say we just let everything go... i mean who cares if this is star wars right?

lets just let everyone do what they want to do... its all about free will and all that right?

so lets give jedi red lightsabers and sith green lightsabers. Lets have some sith purebloods on the jedi council.

While were at it, lets make the mandalorians wear robes and be pacifists, give the republic army a leather and lace look, make all the blasters look and sound like modern firearms that shoot bullets, add some cool looking steampunk machines (steam driven of course!) and lets make everyone use the force, just add some force lightning to all the classes because that looks really cool.

Because its not about the lore, its about what i want to use on my character, its about freedom of choice.

If i want to be a sith pureblood jedi with red lightsaber and mandalorian armour with imperial symbols (because i really really like the look of those) i should be able to right?

because its all about ME

I applaud the lifting of the restrictions, and for very pragmatic reasons. I don't know how many times I would look for a new crystal on the GTN, and the ONLY thing keeping me from being able to upgrade was the color and subsequent restrictions. I ran around for ages with sub-par stats on my weapons simply because I had the unmitigated temerity to be too far above or below an arbitrary line.

It always struck me as odd why my agent, bounty hunter, trooper and smuggler would give two craps what color their blaster fire was; so long as it made stuff dead, it could be schitte-brindle for all they cared. What colors those fanatical Jedi and Sith choose for their flashy cheese-slicers is of no concern.

My Sith sorc, on the other hand, has lusted after a purple blade for ages and finally got his. And seeing as he now sits on the Dark Council, he refers all complaints about his flaunting of Sith tradition to his assistant, Helen Waite. Got a problem with it? Go to Helen Waite. :cool:

I am primarily a game-player, not a Star Wars fan. While "lore" is all fine and well, it can't be used as a cudgel to artificially punish players. Games are a completely different medium compared to movies, books, etc. Games are participatory. You aren't merely a spectator, you're an active agent in the unfolding narrative. And if BioWare (or any other company) wants to continue to derive profit from their investment, they have to balance the ire of the lore "purists" with what will attract and retain a customer base on an ongoing basis.

That's what we want I suppose. What I'd like at least. When everyone's a special exception it looks like ****... Not to even start with the purple and cyan Blasters, they look very weird to say the least.

Looks fine to me. IMO, it's the lightsaber itself that's Star Wars, not the color. Then again, I've never been all that fond of uniforms in the first place.

I guess you didn't realize that synthetic crystals could be of any color meaning they don't have to be red.

Your right but a synthetic crystal when fused with Dark Side energy turned red. Red would be the color of RAGE and not peace or nobility.

I say we just let everything go... i mean who cares if this is star wars right?

lets just let everyone do what they want to do... its all about free will and all that right?

so lets give jedi red lightsabers and sith green lightsabers. Lets have some sith purebloods on the jedi council.

While were at it, lets make the mandalorians wear robes and be pacifists, give the republic army a leather and lace look, make all the blasters look and sound like modern firearms that shoot bullets, add some cool looking steampunk machines (steam driven of course!) and lets make everyone use the force, just add some force lightning to all the classes because that looks really cool.

Because its not about the lore, its about what i want to use on my character, its about freedom of choice.

If i want to be a sith pureblood jedi with red lightsaber and mandalorian armour with imperial symbols (because i really really like the look of those) i should be able to right?

because its all about ME

Ironic since you're the one demanding that everyone else change their gameplay to suit YOU.

I applaud the lifting of the restrictions, and for very pragmatic reasons. I don't know how many times I would look for a new crystal on the GTN, and the ONLY thing keeping me from being able to upgrade was the color and subsequent restrictions. I ran around for ages with sub-par stats on my weapons simply because I had the unmitigated temerity to be too far above or below an arbitrary line.

It always struck me as odd why my agent, bounty hunter, trooper and smuggler would give two craps what color their blaster fire was; so long as it made stuff dead, it could be schitte-brindle for all they cared. What colors those fanatical Jedi and Sith choose for their flashy cheese-slicers is of no concern.

My Sith sorc, on the other hand, has lusted after a purple blade for ages and finally got his. And seeing as he now sits on the Dark Council, he refers all complaints about his flaunting of Sith tradition to his assistant, Helen Waite. Got a problem with it? Go to Helen Waite. :cool:

I am primarily a game-player, not a Star Wars fan. While "lore" is all fine and well, it can't be used as a cudgel to artificially punish players. Games are a completely different medium compared to movies, books, etc. Games are participatory. You aren't merely a spectator, you're an active agent in the unfolding narrative. And if BioWare (or any other company) wants to continue to derive profit from their investment, they have to balance the ire of the lore "purists" with what will attract and retain a customer base on an ongoing basis.

That line says it all and you are the exact mold of people that try to justify the reason to break tradition and lore. So than why would you care what color your blade is if your a primary game player.

Edited by Asturias

Ironic since you're the one demanding that everyone else change their gameplay to suit YOU.

hardly.

I play this game to play a Star Wars game... take away the things that make it star wars and its just an MMO with glowing swords and space ships.

This is like playing a WW2 game and getting upset that the Brittish cant wear those snazzy SS uniforms...

*but only the SS wore those uniforms*

*i dont care, i like them and i want them so let me have them, i dont care about lore*

Im not demanding everyone else "change their gameplay to suit me" im demanding Bioware not change the game to be Star Wars Light... Or maby Star Wars Zero would be a better analogy.

Im not demanding everyone else "change their gameplay to suit me" im demanding Bioware not change the game to be Star Wars Light... Or maby Star Wars Zero would be a better analogy.

There is no difference between demanding players play the way you want and demanding Bioware make players play the way you want.

Either way, it's all about you.

I don't quite understand your argument. It seems to me that you're entire argument hinges on the quote unquote "iconic colors" of green and blue for Jedi and red for Sith. Frankly, you're gonna need a stronger argument than that to convince me otherwise. I know it's been stated over and over, but I'm gonna state it just one more time. The lore outside of the films supports the existence of Jedi/Sith who used light sabers that were not part of the "iconic" color scheme.

I don't see what the big deal is. I thought it was silly to restrict colors since colors don't really mean anything.

I love Star Wars just as much as the next guy, but the color restrictions were, I thought, silly!

There is no difference between demanding players play the way you want and demanding Bioware make players play the way you want.

Either way, it's all about you.

Is it really?

So coming to a star wars game and demanding that they remove or change the very things that define it as star wars isnt selfish, but wanting them to keep the game star wars is?

youre being very hypocritical...

You can try and spin this any way you want, but the bottom line here is you want a red lightsaber for your jedi (or blue/green for your sith, whatever) and dont care how that breaks star wars lore and tradition, because you want it so its the right thing to do.

My arguement is not about Light side/dark side choice but that the primary colors that have been established by the movies and countless other media should be exclusive to that faction. The big three need to be exclusive and I don't have a problem with a light sided sith using a Red color saber because lets face it a light sided sith is not really good you just take a different approach to handleing things.

If it's a couple times, true, it's just a different way of handling things, but when you are level 3 LS it's no longer just a different way of handling things: you really are a contradiction to the Sith as Nomen Karr would say.

Is it really?

So coming to a star wars game and demanding that they remove or change the very things that define it as star wars isnt selfish, but wanting them to keep the game star wars is?

Star Wars doesn't mean red vs green/blue to me. The lightsaber is what's iconic, not the color. There are just too many examples in lore of both sides using whatever color they like.

So what's happening here is that I'm happy with you using your red saber on your sith, whereas you want to take my saber away. I'm about freedom, you're about control.

You can try and spin this any way you want, but the bottom line here is you want a red lightsaber for your jedi (or blue/green for your sith, whatever) and dont care how that breaks star wars lore and tradition, because you want it so its the right thing to do.

Lore supports me, not you. Give up that argument.

Edited by Caelrie

People like you bother me in the sense that you try to justify a reason that doesn’t warrant the reasoning behind it. Regardless of how GL decided the color scheme, the final cut was established as Red was the color of a Sith and Green/Blue was the color of a Jedi. These are the primary colors of the two factions that have been established.

When playing a MMO you have countless others that join/share in that same world unlike a single player game. Restrictions are needed to keep the immersion of the core fundamentals for all players. When grouping for raiding/PvP it will be immersion breaking when all you see is a bunch of Sith using Blue/Green/Purple/Yellow/Pink other than Red. MMO are huge communities of players all sharing the same world as you play in and when one group of people whines about a cosmetic design that pleases fans who don’t really understand the core of it all ruins it.

These types of colors other than core factions that establish the two sides should be a rarity but what BioWARE needs to do is change the shade variations of the color along with the how the blade pulsates or emits its energy. Rare color crystals should be a challenge and I am talking about a real challenge for people who wish to seek out rare crystals and have consequences within the story that you as the player are willing to display to that faction you hold allegiance to.

Please point to the reason that doesn't justify the reasoning (Your words). You need to realize that your reality is not the only one. What you view as immersion breaking many others view as immersion enhancing. If you believe that the sith should only be able to use red then that's fine but from many others perspectives that's absurd. Nothing stops a sith from using a different color lightsaber except tradition and many of us play a sith who doesn't believe in tradition.

What you view as the "core" of star wars is not necessarily what others do. That doesn't mean they are lesser fans it just means they disagree and as shown many times in this thread they can cite lore just as well and in many cases better than you can.

Believing something doesn't make it right or true.

Is it really?

So coming to a star wars game and demanding that they remove or change the very things that define it as star wars isn't selfish, but wanting them to keep the game star wars is?

you're being very hypocritical...

You can try and spin this any way you want, but the bottom line here is you want a red lightsaber for your jedi (or blue/green for your sith, whatever) and don't care how that breaks star wars lore and tradition, because you want it so its the right thing to do.

Here's the issue, a some people want everyone to be restricted in what color crystals they are allowed to use, others don't want anyone restricted in what color crystals they are allowed to use. If no outside restrictions are placed on color crystals then the players will be allowed to decide what restrictions they want to place on color crystals they use themselves, if any, which is the best way to go about it. There will still be the LS/DS gear that won't have the restrictions removed, so there is always that.