Color Wars!

Asturias

Sorry OP, but that's incorrect. You tend to agree with the replies of people talking about "iconic" ... Well, if you look at the movies, we have Blue, Green and one purple on Light Side, and you have Red (and arguably blue) on Dark Side. That's it. By your logic we should take all purple sabres away from your side as purple is not iconic as a sith colour.

Now, if you want to bring expanded universe into this, then lets get a little geekier.. No were in the movies does it mention synthetic crystals, only in the books. Well, in RotJ luke used a synthetic green crystal. It doesn't get more iconic then that. We could go through the whole mass load of books and other EU and show you all sorts of interesting colours and even a light whip. But to be strict to the iconic movie lore.. you get NOTHING but red. Light side get nothing but Blue, Green and Purple.

That said, what I think the real issue here is, is not Dark Side/Light Side, but infact Empire/Republic. You are upset that the republic (who seem to be about 25% - 30% darkside) now have the pretty colours that were unique to you.

Now, all of this really shouldn't matter to you as you should worry about your own darn character and don't let other people just enjoying their game hurt yours. And, you know what? If people running around with your unique sabre is really hurting your feelings and ruining your game.. that's good! I am glad that your feelings are hurt. Get over it and enjoy the game... or quit.

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's where my argument comes in: with color restrictions removed, where is the frowning upon? There should be incentives for sticking with the traditional colors, while still allowing players to choose which color they want.

Other people will frown upon you? Obviously quite a few of you Jedi lot wont be happy seeing other Jedi running around with Red since you're voice displeasure currently. That aside, it really doesn't matter.

As a direct quote from a Jedi:

"I don't need to remind you that a crimson blade doesn't guarantee that the wielder is a Sith, any more than every person strong in the Force is a Jedi."

Oh, and also.

Not all red lightsaber crystals were synthetic. Adegan crystals featuring a red coloration were not unheard of, Darth Vader utilizing such a crystal in one of his lightsabers, and red-hued crystals were known to form naturally in the Crystal Caves on Dantooine, along with blue, green, yellow and violet crystals. However, unlike the other crystals, the red crystals from Dantooine were typically found in unhatched kinrath eggs

Other people will frown upon you? Obviously quite a few of you Jedi lot wont be happy seeing other Jedi running around with Red since you're voice displeasure currently. That aside, it really doesn't matter.

As a direct quote from a Jedi:

"I don't need to remind you that a crimson blade doesn't guarantee that the wielder is a Sith, any more than every person strong in the Force is a Jedi."

I'm aware of the quote, which stipulates it's not a guarantee. The impression I get from the wordage is that while you can legitimately expect a crimson blade to be in the hands of a Sith, you shouldn't assume that to be the case.

The quote says nothing that disputes the tendency of Sith to use red and Jedi everything else.

I want TOR keep SW in it's name. All colors for all is stupid idea. No SWfan can approve that.

Except all those SW fans who have enjoyed the movies, novels, comics, and story-driven games that are all official Star Wars for decades!

And don't bring George's personal opinions about his own universe into it to defend 'movie-only lore, novels & comics don't count', as his vision of the universe DOES NOT include TOR.

Whenever I see a Sith using a blue lightsaber or a Jedi using a red lightsaber, I facepalm and start yelling at the computer screen that they are ruining the lightsaber color icon for their respective factions. Anyone with respect for the Star Wars franchise would do the right thing and pick either a neutral colored crystal or a crystal colored after the iconic image of their faction.

Whenever I see a Sith using a blue lightsaber or a Jedi using a red lightsaber, I facepalm and start yelling at the computer screen that they are ruining the lightsaber color icon for their respective factions. Anyone with respect for the Star Wars franchise would do the right thing and pick either a neutral colored crystal or a crystal colored after the iconic image of their faction.

What if they are using a red and blue saber dual wielding?

I wonder if you realize your reaction just makes more people do it.

What if they are using a red and blue saber dual wielding?

Well, that might actually be cool. Could be fitted into the character's "RP" persona that he/she killed a Jedi/Sith and adapted their combat stance to use the original and the stolen lightsaber.

Now, all of this really shouldn't matter to you as you should worry about your own darn character and don't let other people just enjoying their game hurt yours. And, you know what? If people running around with your unique sabre is really hurting your feelings and ruining your game.. that's good! I am glad that your feelings are hurt. Get over it and enjoy the game... or quit.

Seriously dude, you need help. The OP is talking about what is the generally accepted iconic color for the Republic and the Empire, respectively, and he's bringing in some pretty good lore to explain it in a good way. You are just butthurt for some reason and you're trying to pick a fight with the OP on a personal level.

Pathetic. Get help.

I think there's an understanding that red is Sith and other colors are Jedi. Through decades of the wonderful stories we all get a feeling when we see a red light sabre. I think its a little sad that this is being lost. I understand that it gives us more options in the game but it just feels like the colors should remain unchanged. I actually think that all Sith should use only red but I don't make games or write novels.

Oh, great original post btw.

Edited by Derfmiolleh

Well, that might actually be cool. Could be fitted into the character's "RP" persona that he/she killed a Jedi/Sith and adapted their combat stance to use the original and the stolen lightsaber.

Seriously dude, you need help. The OP is talking about what is the generally accepted iconic color for the Republic and the Empire, respectively, and he's bringing in some pretty good lore to explain it in a good way. You are just butthurt for some reason and you're trying to pick a fight with the OP on a personal level.

Pathetic. Get help.

Just a little annoyed at the arrogance of people to try and tell others whats right and wrong. Fact is, unless you pick and choose which lore is "acceptable" there is no lore to support crystals being jedi/sith or rep/imp. People like this whine constantly on these forums, with major butt hurt of their own at how other people are ruining their game. Well get over yourselves.

This is Star Wars... figures show it has generated over 10 billion in revenue. It does not get any mass market then that. To any one expecting this game to be for serious gamers only... I'm glad you are raging. This will NEVER be a hardcore game. Deal with it. You will notice a theme in this game were everyone gets everything. Just like wow, this game will make money doing it. Just like wow, sucks to be you who expect your game to be for people like you only.

I am enjoying it a lot. Normally I keep quiet when I see people rage like this but I'm treating myself to commenting on it today. To see OP ***** about other people sharing his light sabre colours is just ridiculous. ;)

Edited by Disaster

He's bringing in lore from the movies only, when a lot of players are fans of more Star Wars than just the films.

"Iconic" in this case just means "something recognizable for people who claim to like Star Wars, but have never heard of Exar Kun or Darth Caedus."

He's bringing in lore from the movies only, when a lot of players are fans of more Star Wars than just the films.

"Iconic" in this case just means "something recognizable for people who claim to like Star Wars, but have never heard of Exar Kun or Darth Caedus."

How about a third group?

I've heard of all of those people and just don't give a damn.

The difference between a single player game like KOTOR and this online offering, is that for every player out there stepping on the theme just because they can, you move one step closer to the realization that the need to cater for the fashion lions, have somehow taken precedence over the need to maintain a coherent Star Wars themed world.

What will this be, the Sims Online in a new presentation format, or further adventures set in the fictional world initially advertised? It's not enough to make a background canvas, then let the actors in front of it look like they were dragged in from the wrong play, you need a bit more work in the costume department to make it convincing.

---

The difference between a single player game like KOTOR and this online offering, is that for every player out there stepping on the theme just because they can, you move one step closer to the realization that the need to cater for the fashion lions, have somehow taken precedence over the need to maintain a coherent Star Wars themed world.

What will this be, the Sims Online in a new presentation format, or further adventures set in the fictional world initially advertised? It's not enough to make a background canvas, then let the actors in front of it look like they were dragged in from the wrong play, you need a bit more work in the costume department to make it convincing.

---

Bingo.

And that's the slippery slope of "my enjoyment of the game is more important than the game's setting." While that may indeed be true on some metaphysical level, it opens a whole can of worms. Before you know it, the game looks about as canonically-specific as Stark Trek Online does--which is to say it doesn't.

Edited by Dezzi

Bingo.

And that's the slippery slope of "my enjoyment of the game is more important than the game's setting." While that may indeed be true on some metaphysical level, it opens a whole can of worms. Before you know it, the game looks about as canonically-specific as Stark Trek Online does--which is to say it doesn't.

love how you guys want to say that eu is not lore, even though gl uses it himself. as i have said in most of the other threads, create a guild that holds to the same ideals as you. sit back and mock those that don't agree with you and break the traditions you hold to so dearly. more importantly, get over it. this is perfectly within the lore of the star wars universe.

love how you guys want to say that eu is not lore, even though gl uses it himself. as i have said in most of the other threads, create a guild that holds to the same ideals as you. sit back and mock those that don't agree with you and break the traditions you hold to so dearly. more importantly, get over it. this is perfectly within the lore of the star wars universe.

Where did I say EU wasn't lore? I've cosplayed Thrawn!

PS - "Get over it" is the most childish thing you can say in an argument or discussion and it generally negates anything else you have to say--constructive or otherwise.

Edited by Dezzi

Where did I say EU wasn't lore? I've cosplayed Thrawn!

PS - "Get over it" is the most childish thing you can say in an argument or discussion and it generally negates anything else you have to say.

you said

Bingo.

...... Before you know it, the game looks about as canonically-specific as Stark Trek Online does--which is to say it doesn't.

seeing as how that is completely incorrect, that the lore supports the use of any color you want, making it canon, you are saying that the eu shouldn't be supported. how else can it be taken? it IS canon to use whatever color you want, simple.

if you want to ignore the truth, go for it.

as for the get over it, indeed, get over it. it is far from childish. i attempt to explain to my children why i make the decisions i make until they continue to plug their ears and go"lalalalala". at that point, it's a simple "this is the way it is, get over it". you are complaining about something that is not going to change. that was, in fact, changed back due to it being the wrong move in the first place.

you said

seeing as how that is completely incorrect, that the lore supports the use of any color you want, making it canon, you are saying that the eu shouldn't be supported. how else can it be taken? it IS canon to use whatever color you want, simple.

if you want to ignore the truth, go for it.

as for the get over it, indeed, get over it. it is far from childish. i attempt to explain to my children why i make the decisions i make until they continue to plug their ears and go"lalalalala". at that point, it's a simple "this is the way it is, get over it". you are complaining about something that is not going to change. that was, in fact, changed back due to it being the wrong move in the first place.

Nowhere did I say EU wasn't lore. So either "get over it" or try again. Characterizing my argument incorrectly doesn't lend credit to your own points, it only makes you look silly for trying.

:rolleyes:

Edited by Dezzi