Color Wars!

Asturias

yub yub!

I do miss the original closing song and the sound effects going with the Ewok playing the drums with the imperial helmets......I miss the original ending:(

Actually I was referring to the scene in Jabba's palace where Oola was dancing.... giggity. :D

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually I was referring to the scene in Jabba's palace where Oola was dancing.... giggity. :D

ah yes, the slip before the fall. you had to pause it just right to catch.....giggity:cool: I guess i watched it so much on VHS:othat i didn't even realize that it was not in the new versions.:o

Edited by Angel_of_Cain

Lore is the differance and I am all for unrestricting weapons. I find it stupid and its like a regular knight can't equip a two handed sword or a dagger. Play styles are different for each class.

weak argument. knights use sabers....not swords....not daggers. This is lore. This is canon. Knights can use swords or daggers IF no saber is available, but if one is near that is what they go for. Ergo....weak argument. This argument is almost as weak as reporting someone for no reason.

weak argument. knights use sabers....not swords....not daggers. This is lore. This is canon. Knights can use swords or daggers IF no saber is available, but if one is near that is what they go for. Ergo....weak argument. This argument is almost as weak as reporting someone for no reason.

I didn't report you bud, my reply got erased and I got flagged for it for god knows what reason :rolleyes:(I never go that route ever/I find it childish to do so) but my arguement was more so for the blaster classes. If you look in the game you have Bounty Hunters running around with blaster rifles and vibro swords. I don't see why these types of weapons are restricted in the game for those classes. Bobba Fett had a blaster rifle? I fully agree with you regarding Force users but look at WoW and the warrior class they could equip a bow but had a single firing button for it but still had the option to use it.

Edited by Asturias

yub yub!

I do miss the original closing song and the sound effects going with the Ewok playing the drums with the imperial helmets......I miss the original ending:(

Never had it on DVD, i had it on LASER DISC, and man that quality rocked VHS way back when. But other wise as stated, i agree with the op altogether as the movies are so iconic that they are the soul of the SW universe, and by altering any of that, it would defeat the very foundation of identifying who was who and what they represented.

All of us have seen the movies and understood the choices when we decided what faction to play on. No one can say that they were not warned they could not use X color because of X faction.

And if the colors WERE factionally restricted, you would have a point.

Around 4,000 BBY, lightsaber crystals were used to indicate a Jedi's chosen class. Blue indicated a Jedi Guardian, a Jedi who used the Force on a more physical level. Green indicated a Jedi Consular, a Jedi who preferred to reflect on the mysteries of the Force and fight the dark side at its heart. Yellow indicated a Jedi Sentinel, a Jedi who honed their skills in a balance of combat and scholarly pursuits.

This distinction fell out of practice in later years when most Jedi used blue or green crystals based on choice, and the supply of them on various source worlds. Purple, yellow, and orange crystals were still used by some Jedi until the the fall of the Jedi Order, but they were exceedingly rare, and often passed down through generations.

Here is a timeline for you none history fans! 4,000 BBY Timeline

1. Galactic Republic Chancery election; Sidrona Diath becomes Supreme Chancellor of the Galactic Republic.

2. The Great Sith War begins with the Sith Lord Exar Kun and his apprentice Ulic Qel-Droma.

3. Humans from Brentaal colonize Muzara.

4. The Tallaani Shipyards are established on Tallaan.

5. The Basiliskans chemically poison their own planet of Basilisk, in a last effort to defeat the Mandalorians.

6. A civil war erupts on Goroth Prime between Corellian and Aqualish miners.

7. A fuel mining colony is established on Peragus II. (Approximate date)

8. Swoop racing first becomes popular in the galaxy.

9. The secret society known as the Krath is founded by Aleema and Satal Keto in the Empress Teta system.

10. The Temple of Tet-Ami is constructed on Benja-Rihn by the Carthasian.

11. The Jedi Temple is constructed on Coruscant.

12. The virus codenamed Blackwing by the Galactic Empire in 1 BBY is first recorded.

I cannot express this enough about the Colors and why they need to be rare. Its EU cannon and your lack of knowledge shows as most who argue for allowing unrestricted colors. BioWARE should of made Red exclusive for Sith side and Blue/Green for the Republic side. All others need to be rare and practically low drops. This is a MMO and its immersion breaking for end game players.

BioWARE knows this and shows in there own CG movies advertised for this game!

Edited by Asturias

Around 4,000 BBY, lightsaber crystals were used to indicate a Jedi's chosen class. Blue indicated a Jedi Guardian, a Jedi who used the Force on a more physical level. Green indicated a Jedi Consular, a Jedi who preferred to reflect on the mysteries of the Force and fight the dark side at its heart. Yellow indicated a Jedi Sentinel, a Jedi who honed their skills in a balance of combat and scholarly pursuits.

This distinction fell out of practice in later years when most Jedi used blue or green crystals based on choice, and the supply of them on various source worlds. Purple, yellow, and orange crystals were still used by some Jedi until the the fall of the Jedi Order, but they were exceedingly rare, and often passed down through generations.

1. Galactic Republic Chancery election; Sidrona Diath becomes Supreme Chancellor of the Galactic Republic.

2. The Great Sith War begins with the Sith Lord Exar Kun and his apprentice Ulic Qel-Droma.

5. The Basiliskans chemically poison their own planet of Basilisk, in a last effort to defeat the Mandalorians.

9. The secret society known as the Krath is founded by Aleema and Satal Keto in the Empress Teta system.

12. The virus codenamed Blackwing by the Galactic Empire in 1 BBY is first recorded.

I cannot express this enough about the Colors and why they need to be rare. Its EU cannon and your lack of knowledge shows as most who argue for allowing unrestricted colors. BioWARE should of made Red exclusive for Sith side and Blue/Green for the Republic side. All others need to be rare and practically low drops. This is a MMO and its immersion breaking for end game players.

You know your beating a dead horse right?

They will not take away colors from the players. Again you are better off asking for an OT button.

You know the PC's are the exception to the rules. Just because there are a lot of PC's does not mean they should make other crystal colors rare. NPC's seem to stick to traditional colors.

FYI in those CG movies I would like to point out those are all NPC's I don't see a single PC in them! Lets face it having 40 Sith light up red sabers all at once is just terrifying and awe inspiring. In other words, it was simply done to look cool.

Again Being a Darth and member of the Dark Council, NO ONE will dictate what color my light saber is going to be.

You know your beating a dead horse right?

They will not take away colors from the players. Again you are better off asking for an OT button.

You know the PC's are the exception to the rules. Just because there are a lot of PC's does not mean they should make other crystal colors rare. NPC's seem to stick to traditional colors.

FYI in those CG movies I would like to point out those are all NPC's I don't see a single PC in them! Lets face it having 40 Sith light up red sabers all at once is just terrifying and awe inspiring. In other words, it was simply done to look cool.

Again Being a Darth and member of the Dark Council, NO ONE will dictate what color my light saber is going to be.

1. Than what is the point of playing the game if there is nothing to strive for at end game. Players need to have something to strive for at end game besides gear that looks like everyone elses and I don't understand why BioWARE didn't incorporate this into part of its end game mechanics.

2. Just because your a Darth doesn't mean your the exception to the rules and tradition. Your color choice would display a weakness to other Darth Lords!

If this is the case than maybe they should allow unrestricting weapons for the mirrior classes. I would like to carry a blaster Rifle instead of a pistol. Bobba Fett had one :rolleyes:

Edited by Asturias

1. Than what is the point of playing the game if there is nothing to strive for at end game. Players need to have something to strive for at end game besides gear that looks like everyone elses and I don't understand why BioWARE didn't incorporate this into part of its end game mechanics.

2. Just because your a Darth doesn't mean your the exception to the rules and tradition. Your color choice would display a weakness to other Darth Lords!

If this is the case than maybe they should allow unrestricting weapons for the mirrior classes. I would like to carry a blaster Rifle instead of a pistol. Bobba Fett had one :rolleyes:

He actually had a blaster carbine.

He actually had a blaster carbine.

Well than explain the Bounty Hunters through out the game that carry Blaster Rifles. You going tell me those are Blaster Carbine? :rolleyes: He sure did use it like a Blaster Rifle.

Edited by Asturias

Well than explain the Bounty Hunters through out the game that carry Blaster Rifles. You going tell me those are Blaster Carbine? :rolleyes: He sure did use it like a Blaster Rifle.

Never said other bounty hunters never used blaster rifles, he just used a carbine.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

With 1.2 players can remove all mods and set bonus and add it to any orange armor they want. Since Orange armor will now be able to contain an augment slot it will be the best armor in the game. As of 1.2 they are increasing the amount of orange armor gear in the game people will have choices. There will be rare colors in the game to strive for.

Our characters are constantly told how special we are throughout our story. We are told we are the most powerful force user in a very long time. Let them sense weakness and make a move!

Seriously now you are going to change your tactics regarding blasters? Those are game mechanics. You are now grasping at straws. You are changing tactics because your lore argument was disproved.

You need to stick with the personal opinion that Star Wars to you is Red/Blue/Green sabers.

Again ask for an OT game filter it will fix your issue and make other OT purists happy!

None of that supports forcing Dark-Side Jedi to use Red Lightsabers, or Light-Side Sith to use Blue/Green Lightsabers.

Funny, that's when KotOR happened, and even though it was TRADITIONAL, it wasn't mandatory. :)

Really? Because I like a little flair for the dramatic.

Mind you, my Light-Side Sith still uses a red crystal. But mark my words, when he gets near the end of his storyline, he's gonna be using purple or green.

Because blue's overdone.

2. Just because your a Darth doesn't mean your the exception to the rules and tradition.

Actually it does, very much so.

Especially for Sith, because that's kinda the whole point. To reach a point where you're powerful enough that you can no longer be told what to do. To reach a point where you are truly free from rules and tradition, it's right in the Sith Code.

Where are you getting the information that purple, orange, and yellow are exceedingly rare in that period? Particularly yellow, which was once a Jedi Sentinel's traditional & first color?

You're the one that doesn't know the EU; colors were not 'restricted' by any means! Ulic Qel-Droma had a yellow blade and it was never deemed 'rare'. Nobody would bat an eye at a purple blade in that era, or others really. Blue, green, and red were only the most common because that's all we saw in the OT--not the PT, the OT, and the only reason we ONLY saw blue, green, and red was a combination of special effects considerations and the fact that there are only 3 people with lightsabers in the entire trilogy.

Until 2002, there was NOTHING to say that purple, yellow, orange, and more weren't A) used commonly throughout the history of the Jedi & Sith, and B) used, along with blue, green, and red, by both Jedi AND Sith freely. Not one thing. Until 2002, we'd only seen 3 Jedi use sabers: Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon, and Luke. We'd only seen two Sith use sabers: Vader & Maul. In Episode I, we see RGB because it'll evoke memories of the OT; bad guy lights up red, just like Vader! Obi-Wan uses blue cuz we knew he uses that color later in life. Qui-Gon uses green so he'll stand out from Obi-Wan more. Simple as that. Only in 2002 with AOTC do we find out that during the Saga--and ONLY during the Saga!!!!--the Jedi were limited in color choices, and the Sith only used red. Tradition had become more hardwired into 'rules'.

But those 'rules' don't mean a thing for the SWTOR era. Nor should they! We should have a lot more choice even at low levels than we do now, and no restrictions. PCs are exceptional individuals; it doesn't matter if there's 50 PCs running around with the same saber colors, they're all representative of their class stories. If that breaks your 'immersion', you're in the wrong game. The 'identical endgame gear' should ALREADY be doing that to you, saber color shouldn't even be a factor there.

That's not to say I think ALL colors should be available at level 10 or 20... I just think at least 6 basic colors should be: red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple. White, MAYBE magenta and/or cyan, should be available mid-game.

Everything else, endgame's fine. Strive for a black-core blade, or viridian, or vermilion, or bronze, or whatever. That way, everyone wins... well, everyone who's not on the "movie rules about traditional colors and rarities and restrictions should apply to 4000 years before the movies, too" bandwagon. We shouldn't have to work hard and level up fully to get a purple saber crystal just because Mace Windu had to do a lot of important stuff to get his...ESPECIALLY not after simply killing a lowly Sith assassin/apprentice shortly after leaving Dantooine to get a purple crystal as Revan in the first KOTOR.

I've been reading this thread since about page 30 or so, and this is my take on it. I did this post on another thread, but I though it fit well here:

1) I was never thrilled at the idea that DS toons got only one specific color crystal(red) while LS toons had 2(blue/green.) This would balance out that issue, and open up more of a market for artificers on both factions. Plus, I'm tired of lack of variety in general; I really get sick of seeing yellow and orange crystals on my toons. I'd like the choice outside of red, orange and yellow for my DS SW.

2) Some say that its game breaking. I say that is a relative and untrue statement. I think removing alignment restrictions from crystals gives me more freedom as a roleplayer. I can tailor the color of my crystal to my personality, not my alignment. I personally don't care if the Jedi next to me has a red crystal or my husband's Dark V BH has a green one. Besides, from a purely RP'ing perspective, my Sith and my Jedi don't care one way or the other. Jedi/Sith have the ultimate form of Detect Alignment and wouldn't use color as a way to determine if someone was LS/DS or not.

3) Seemed silly in the first place. Between the EU examples and the ones from the movies, I think that color had nothing to do with alignment, but rather preference. There is zero good reason why my SW should be forbidden to green/blue and why my Jedi would be adverse to red. If I want my SW to wield my favorite color(blue), then I feel she should be allowed as such.

I'm going to repeat what I've said in other threads: This is in the game, like it or not. If that makes you unsub, then sorry to see you go. This isn't the game for you. The rest of us are going to enjoy the ride and see what kinds of updates are to come.

Edit: I used the colors red for my SW and blue for my JK on my sig as a reflection of faction, not alignment. I thought it looked nice.

Edit #2: I wonder if the people complaining about the lack of restrictions are PVP'ers that can no longer tell Jedi from Sith just from lightsaber color.

Edited by natashina

Edit #2: I wonder if the people complaining about the lack of restrictions are PVP'ers that can no longer tell Jedi from Sith just from lightsaber color.

That very well could be. Had a guy on Ilum where my Knight is parked actually change toons to accuse me of cheating at PvP. Now, here was the situation. I had been doing a mission there when the guy attacked. I was using SGT Rusk as a DPS/Tank companion, and this Assassin jumps out point blank and attacks me. I had been travelling from spot to spot grabbing crates. Now, the way I have my Knight equipped, he looks like a Commando except for a lack of rifle. Mostly because I'm not a huge fan of Jedi robes. lol

He, however, apparently thought I was a Trooper until I proceeded to take him apart with my lightsaber. He had his tactics down pretty well.... for killing Troopers. Vigilance Guardians on the other hand.... Yeah, that was fun. So he ends up switching to a Repub toon and lights me up for "cheating" by dressing like a Trooper! What is up with that???? :eek:

Cheating for dressing like a Trooper? LOL what'll they think of next? My Sentinel's dressed like a Smuggler. Troopers can dress like Jedi. Every class can dress like at least one other class! That's not cheating, that's just fun, it opens up more gear options, too.

Anyway: PVPers CANNOT be upset about the removal of restrictions, because the restrictions were never faction-based in the first place. A Sith Warrior would have better luck ID'ing a JK by his gear than by his saber color since Imps & Reps have different-style gear skins. They even change if you find/craft/buy them on the opposite faction.* What if that JK was Dark III? He'd probably have a red saber. That doesn't mean he's Sith, it means he's Dark. Likewise, that Sith Warrior himself could have blue or green if he were playing Light.

*which really makes no sense when it's a class-restricted item; why doesn't Imp-class gear LOOK like Imp-class gear even when viewed on GTN by Rep toons? Not like a Trooper can wear a BH/SW-restricted item, right?

Edited by Toonimator