SWTOR vs SWG

PeacefulViolence

SWG was a different game for a different era that appealed to a different audience with different makers that were horrible in decision making.

SWTOR is a different game for this day and age/time that appeals to the crowds of today with the skill tree, level stuff, raid stuff, that people want these days with a maker that cares about the game and will continue to push out content and not LET this game die.

There's the difference

SOE didn't really "care"

BioWare cares deeply.

One of the funniest things I've read from you. I love that you're optimistic, but you're not realistic.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SWTOR has:

- Better graphics (and it should, consider the age of SWG)

- Cool companion system

SWG had:

- Far more immersion

- Rewarding crafting system

- 500x more social interaction with other players

- Better OWPvP and PvP in general

- Customized spaceships

- Player housing/cities

For all it's problems and mismanagement, SWG was a far better game than SWTOR can ever hope to be. The #1 reason being: community. SWTOR is on rails to the point where it plays like a single player console game. There is no customization in any aspect of the game, your character is just a carbon copy of everyone else playing the same class.

SWG and WoW will live on in players' memories long after they are gone. SWTOR will just be another blip on the radar as a game that had potential, but failed. There is nothing new or groundbreaking in this game, aside from voice-over NPCs, which most players skip anyway. Combat is slow and clunky, targeting is a nightmare, and PvP design is some of the worst I've ever seen.

In short, SWTOR is just a game with a legacy system. SWG has a real legacy.

One of the funniest things I've read from you. I love that you're optimistic, but you're not realistic.

Yeah. I've heard of people drinking the corporate kool-aide, but this is doing keg-stands and chugging it by the gallon. It's both impressive and highly disturbing all at once.

Yeah. I've heard of people drinking the corporate kool-aide, but this is doing keg-stands and chugging it by the gallon. It's both impressive and highly disturbing all at once.

Probably a plant from Bioware :p I know they were accused of doing that for ME3.

With that being said, i would like it if this game was more sandbox style like SWG and had populated worlds where NPC's would roam around, the KOTOR games felt rich with life, this game just feel completely dead, everything in this game looks like an abandoned movie set. Makes me sad, I feel like in the hands of another company this game probably would have been better in at least one aspect.

I totally agree, dont understand how they can make a game at this years, 2012 and make it a closed map.... Sandbox games is the way to go... and SWG had soo much more then this game. I would choose the old SWG 1000 times before this. I know ppl will prob frame me but c'mon look at this.... Unrealistic... the mobs are just standing and doing nothing; no animals in the wild beside the ones just standing.... In swg it was at least lairs that the animals had.... The locked maps feels so small and boring... annoying as hell to run around the whole map to get from A to B..... I always thought that all MMOS were sandbox games but this wasn't :o The biggest thing for me playing an MMO is the sandbox-thingy...

Oh sweet NGE in Star Wars Galaxies. Great community, RP in cantinas :) Bounty hunting players, player housing, space pvp in gunships with 8 ppl at guns, random events, Restuss pvp... I'd pay for it right now to be able to play it again.

It was dynamic world. SWTOR is just so sterile. No impact on anything. I dont even feel any war going on. Everyone's just waiting on fleet to pop in the instance.

SWTOR has:

- Better graphics (and it should, consider the age of SWG)

- Cool companion system

SWG had:

- Far more immersion

- Rewarding crafting system

- 500x more social interaction with other players

- Better OWPvP and PvP in general

- Customized spaceships

- Player housing/cities

For all it's problems and mismanagement, SWG was a far better game than SWTOR can ever hope to be. The #1 reason being: community. SWTOR is on rails to the point where it plays like a single player console game. There is no customization in any aspect of the game, your character is just a carbon copy of everyone else playing the same class.

SWG and WoW will live on in players' memories long after they are gone. SWTOR will just be another blip on the radar as a game that had potential, but failed. There is nothing new or groundbreaking in this game, aside from voice-over NPCs, which most players skip anyway. Combat is slow and clunky, targeting is a nightmare, and PvP design is some of the worst I've ever seen.

In short, SWTOR is just a game with a legacy system. SWG has a real legacy.

Thankyou, finally someone with some common sense that doesn't base their comment on sub numbers.

What SWTOR does better:

-Questing (who gives a fk)

-Graphics/Sound

-Cinematic story telling

-Slightly less buggy

What SWG had better:

-Dynamic Star Wars world

-100x better Star Wars world immersion

-100x more social contact with other players

-Best World PvP system in all of MMOs... by far.

-Awesome Battlegrounds.

-Very, very complicated and interesting crafting system.

-Player owned cities.

-Player owned houses that could be placed almost anywhere on almost any planet.

-Fully customizable ships, that could be used as a house if the player desired.

-Bounty hunters, (always that possibility you could be hunted down by a BH)

-So many world and random events to change everything up.

-More dynamic combat system, (not stand still and press 1, 2, 3, repeat)

-Far more customizable character, visually and through story.

-More content updates, that actually meant something.

-You didn't need to do either WZs or Operations at max level. YOU COULD DO ANYTHING YOU WANTED.

-Atmostpheric flight

-Wookies

-Only one Jedi profession, not 8

-Far easy to socialize in cantinas, and during PvP.

-For successful world PvP it meant working together, not having more numbers.

-Economic system was the best compared to any MMO.

-Side TCG.

-Loads more player vehicles.

-Better and more awesome player vehicles.

-Combat pets, or pets that would just follow you around.

-Droids that would do stuff for you or follow you around.

-Meaningful Jedi mastery system

-Creature mounts.

-More balanced PvP classes. (everything had a counter)

-Felt more like Star Wars.

-Dynamic day/night system.

-Fireworks that could be made and launched anywhere by players.

-More familiar Star Wars planets/cities.

-Far better reward system for everything done ingame

-In SWTOR everything is the same, you log in everyday to the same location, and do the same quests and get the same rewards. In SWG, everything was different, every event was different, every battleground was different, every PvP battle was different, every heroic was different.

-More variations of dungeons.

-Far better targeting.

-Less clunky combat.

-More meaningful light saber crafting.

-Could customize skills more to suit your type of game play.

-Freedom to change profession whenever.

-Dedicated crafting profession, the trader.

-Entertainers (profession)

Also like the above poster said, SWG had the real legacy.

The list could go on and on, what I have listed for SWG is only the beginning.

Don't get me wrong, I like SWTOR, but nowhere near as much as I loved SWG.

Edited by HyperThomas

SWG wins hands down even in its 2003 version.

Now imagine if SWG got a sequel in 2012, with voiceover, high end graphics and all. That would be so freakin´ cool.

Think the only way that will ever happen is if the general public/people who are coding EMU got together to do something. Maybe one day. :p

What SWTOR does better:

-Questing (who gives a fk)

-Graphics/Sound

-Cinematic story telling

-Slightly less buggy

What SWG had better:

-Dynamic Star Wars world

-100x better Star Wars world immersion

-100x more social contact with other players

-Best World PvP system in all of MMOs... by far.

-Awesome Battlegrounds.

-Very, very complicated and interesting crafting system.

-Player owned cities.

-Player owned houses that could be placed almost anywhere on almost any planet.

-Fully customizable ships, that could be used as a house if the player desired.

-Bounty hunters, (always that possibility you could be hunted down by a BH)

-So many world and random events to change everything up.

-More dynamic combat system, (not stand still and press 1, 2, 3, repeat)

-Far more customizable character, visually and through story.

-More content updates, that actually meant something.

-You didn't need to do either WZs or Operations at max level. YOU COULD DO ANYTHING YOU WANTED.

-Atmostpheric flight

-Wookies

-Only one Jedi profession, not 8

-Far easy to socialize in cantinas, and during PvP.

-For successful world PvP it meant working together, not having more numbers.

-Economic system was the best compared to any MMO.

-Side TCG.

-Loads more player vehicles.

-Better and more awesome player vehicles.

-Combat pets, or pets that would just follow you around.

-Droids that would do stuff for you or follow you around.

-Meaningful Jedi mastery system

-Creature mounts.

-More balanced PvP classes. (everything had a counter)

-Felt more like Star Wars.

-Dynamic day/night system.

-Fireworks that could be made and launched anywhere by players.

-More familiar Star Wars planets/cities.

-Far better reward system for everything done ingame

-In SWTOR everything is the same, you log in everyday to the same location, and do the same quests and get the same rewards. In SWG, everything was different, every event was different, every battleground was different, every PvP battle was different, every heroic was different.

-More variations of dungeons.

-Far better targeting.

-Less clunky combat.

-More meaningful light saber crafting.

-Could customize skills more to suit your type of game play.

-Freedom to change profession whenever.

-Dedicated crafting profession, the trader.

-Entertainers (profession)

Also like the above poster said, SWG had the real legacy.

The list could go on and on, what I have listed for SWG is only the beginning.

Don't get me wrong, I like SWTOR, but nowhere near as much as I loved SWG.

nice opinion, but heres a fact, only one of these games have appeared at this years E3

What has that got to do with anything?

i'd think that was quite obvious, E3 is the nerd mecca. any game that is any game is shown there. SWTOR has been shown there SWGEMU has not. (that i know of) if SWG was that great surely it would be shown at E3. what better way to market the relaunch.

i'll keep my eye on SWGs website and keep up to date on E3 vids and such, lets see how much SWG gets advertised.

i'd think that was quite obvious, E3 is the nerd mecca. any game that is any game is shown there. SWTOR has been shown there SWGEMU has not. (that i know of) if SWG was that great surely it would be shown at E3. what better way to market the relaunch.

i'll keep my eye on SWGs website and keep up to date on E3 vids and such, lets see how much SWG gets advertised.

SWGemu.... Isn't a funded or LA backed project. It won't have any advertisement aside from what is on the forum.

Edited by sambeta

Anyone who says tor has 1.5 million subs get off this discussion because you are wrong. The game is dying the only reason it was that high when they gave the numbers they gave everyone a free month. So point invalid already. Not to mention most of the light servers at PEAK time have 100 players on or less. The game is dying just admit it.

SWGemu.... Isn't a funded or LA backed project. It won't have any advertisement aside from what is on the forum.

2 points

1) a trade show like E3, would be a great place for an indy game to get the backing of some1 with some money. lots of indy company's get discovered at places like this, not that any1 would back this game, that would result in a legal battle with lucasarts

2) this whole SWTOR vs SWG, is kinda stupid as you have just pointed out. SWTOR has the backing of the IP owner LA and is made by a huge company BW/EA. vs imply's a fight, the question. who would win in a fight between SWTOR and SWG. or to put it another way, who would win a fight out of Muhammad ali and Waldo (where's)

anyway putting all the sillyness aside for one minute SWTOR has the backing of a huge company with lots of money invested, it had ppl that want the game to succeed for a financial reason, as well as the ppl that wrok on the game want it to succeed for their own reason. (things like labor of love, looks good on a CV, etc) SWG is being remade (because it has failed once)by some talented fans that are not being paid for their time and effort. and when they finish, if they don't have the green light by LA its just going ot get shut down. its one thing to program the game. but quite another to take on a legal battle, or should i say pay for a legal battle, you can't win

so back to the question SWTOR vs SWG, hmm let me thing for a bit on that

2 points

1) a trade show like E3, would be a great place for an indy game to get the backing of some1 with some money. lots of indy company's get discovered at places like this, not that any1 would back this game, that would result in a legal battle with lucasarts

2) this whole SWTOR vs SWG, is kinda stupid as you have just pointed out. SWTOR has the backing of the IP owner LA and is made by a huge company BW/EA. vs imply's a fight, the question. who would win in a fight between SWTOR and SWG. or to put it another way, who would win a fight out of Muhammad ali and Waldo (where's)

anyway putting all the sillyness aside for one minute SWTOR has the backing of a huge company with lots of money invested, it had ppl that want the game to succeed for a financial reason, as well as the ppl that wrok on the game want it to succeed for their own reason. (things like labor of love, looks good on a CV, etc) SWG is being remade (because it has failed once)by some talented fans that are not being paid for their time and effort. and when they finish, if they don't have the green light by LA its just going ot get shut down. its one thing to program the game. but quite another to take on a legal battle, or should i say pay for a legal battle, you can't win

Maybe you have answered your own question.

SWTOR is looking just to make money off the game

SWGemu is individuals that are rebuilding a game thats 7 years dead and letting people use what they have done for free so they can enjoy the same game also

To make it easier SWTOR is in it to make money, SWGemu is in it because they loved the game.

2 points

SWGemu isn't an indy game. It's a former game that's code has been reverse engineered by a group of people looking to bring the game back for those who miss it and enjoyed it. It's not done for profit, it's free to play. Yet again that makes your point about this game not being at E3 invalid.

Seeing as you have to have a legal copy of the game to play SWGemu it's not likely (unless there is a huge influx of players) that LA would bother taking legal action.

If TOR wasn't at E3 this year I would of been worried. Considering all the financial backing it has, publicity and it's strong launch it would be mind boggling bad if it wasn't.

In terms of the vs argument features wise and content wise SWG was huge. The planets and environments greatly outmatched what TOR has to offer. It's already been said dozens of times but if there were a hybrid game that combined both TORs best features and SWGs it would no doubt be perfection.

Edited by sambeta

nice opinion, but heres a fact, only one of these games have appeared at this years E3

Riiiight, because everyone knows they showcase 10 year old games at E3 :rolleyes:

2 points

1. So, basically, you are going in completely the opposite direction to what you said earlier, about it being a crap game because it wasn't at E3 ("any game which is any game is at E3" or paraphrased slightly).

2. Even taking away your comments here, I still agree with you. The two are like oranges and apples - totally different. The only thing it is good for is to compare the different systems in the game.

Edited by dazednconfuzed

Riiiight, because everyone knows they showcase 10 year old games at E3 :rolleyes:

1. So, basically, you are going in completely the opposite direction to what you said earlier, about it being a crap game because it wasn't at E3 ("any game which is any game is at E3" or paraphrased slightly).

2. Even taking away your comments here, I still agree with you. The two are like oranges and apples - totally different. The only thing it is good for is to compare the different systems in the game.

if its coming across that i think SWG was a crap game, or that SWGEMU is going to be a crap game. then i have worded things slightly wrong. SWG was probably good, once upon a time, but its time has gone. i wouldn't be surprised if once it did feature at E3.

i don't think the ppl trying to revive it will ever recreate its glory days. generally when ppl do things as a hobby the quality is not as good as when ppl are doing a paid job. (i'm not saying this is always the case) the ppl doing the programming will be doing this for their own reasons, some will be trying to recreate a nostalgic version of a game they once loved. some will be doing this to further their programming skills. and others will be doing this with an eye on the future hoping it leads to a job somewhere. and there will be other ppl with other reasons.

this is going to be a rag tag bunch of ppl all with different degrees of skill, and all with different ambitions. and the end product will most likely reflect this. of course there is as much a chance of them doing a great job as there is them doing a bad job. but unlike a game backed by a real games development studio the results are far from certain.

but lets just say they do a great job. some1 has to maintain this game. how long before the ppl that are doing this as a hobby suddenly realize, if they are good enough to do this, then they are good enough to make a living out of this? and also if the game is a huge success, lets say SWTOR starts being killed off by SWGEMU, do ppl really think LA wouldn't take them to court and shut them down, seems as if LA makes money of SWTOR, but it wouldn't be making money off of SWGEMU.

and ppl that say its ok we are just using the game we bought and own, plz look into copyright laws, when you purchase something like a game, movie, song you own the right to use the game for you personal use, you are not allowed to share the game with the public (unless you are paying royalties, sure SOE were but are th new programmers?). and making an MMO would seem like a very public thing. but if i'm wrong about that and thats not enough, i'm sure LA legal team could come up with something.

i love how ppl say yes its all about the money with SWTOR, EA, BW and LA, well news flash, money makes the world go round

i'm not saying SWG is rubbish, but i am saying its in the past, and the whole SWTOR vs SWG is stupid, for many many reasons

How do you compare a game that didn't do good to one that is?

TOR

Highest sales of any MMO !

Cost the Most to make out of every MMO !

Has 4X the Active player Base than SWG ever had !

Has more competition to compete with than SWG ever had

SWG

Crappy Graphics even compared to its fellow MMOs of its time

Final Fantasy 11 and WoW are still going and with a larger community tha SWG ever had to date!

SWG was brought down because its player base was not enough to continue it .....plan and simple

If SWG had a community of active players worth keeping it up , it would still be playable. It didn't because most the MMO community found it too be simply a DEAD game with nothing worth to note.

NO MMO designer has ever said that SWG brought anything worth mimicing , but yet you can see WoW , Lineage II . FInalFantasy 11 in alot of interviews with MMO creators .

SWG SUCKED ! Sandbox of no life , is not worth having !

How can you compare games in terms of population when MMO's we not played by the millions they are today.?

if its coming across that i think SWG was a crap game, or that SWGEMU is going to be a crap game. then i have worded things slightly wrong. SWG was probably good, once upon a time, but its time has gone. i wouldn't be surprised if once it did feature at E3.

i don't think the ppl trying to revive it will ever recreate its glory days. generally when ppl do things as a hobby the quality is not as good as when ppl are doing a paid job. (i'm not saying this is always the case) the ppl doing the programming will be doing this for their own reasons, some will be trying to recreate a nostalgic version of a game they once loved. some will be doing this to further their programming skills. and others will be doing this with an eye on the future hoping it leads to a job somewhere. and there will be other ppl with other reasons.

this is going to be a rag tag bunch of ppl all with different degrees of skill, and all with different ambitions. and the end product will most likely reflect this. of course there is as much a chance of them doing a great job as there is them doing a bad job. but unlike a game backed by a real games development studio the results are far from certain.

but lets just say they do a great job. some1 has to maintain this game. how long before the ppl that are doing this as a hobby suddenly realize, if they are good enough to do this, then they are good enough to make a living out of this? and also if the game is a huge success, lets say SWTOR starts being killed off by SWGEMU, do ppl really think LA wouldn't take them to court and shut them down, seems as if LA makes money of SWTOR, but it wouldn't be making money off of SWGEMU.

and ppl that say its ok we are just using the game we bought and own, plz look into copyright laws, when you purchase something like a game, movie, song you own the right to use the game for you personal use, you are not allowed to share the game with the public (unless you are paying royalties, sure SOE were but are th new programmers?). and making an MMO would seem like a very public thing. but if i'm wrong about that and thats not enough, i'm sure LA legal team could come up with something.

i love how ppl say yes its all about the money with SWTOR, EA, BW and LA, well news flash, money makes the world go round

i'm not saying SWG is rubbish, but i am saying its in the past, and the whole SWTOR vs SWG is stupid, for many many reasons

I'm sorry but this reads as someone who has neither played SWG when it was officially released or the Emulator out now. The people who originally coded SWG did a sloppy job, were mis managed and were out right lazy when it came to patching things. They were paid.

The people doing Emu are putting time and effort for a job that isn't going to be paid.

In terms of copy right: Since you actually have to buy a paid copy of the game it doesn't breech copy right. Since the coders of Emu aren't altering code for profit or anything other than fair use there is no violation.

It's clear that people obviously don't think SWG is gone and buried, just today I was having a good talk with quite a few people in game that agreed that if SWG was to ever come back they'd be jumping ship. I even asked if they posted on this forum and they said they didn't due to all the bull and rhetoric that flies around here.

Be under no delusions if SOE was running TOR this game would be failing at a very fast rate. Because they didn't get around to patching and sorting out various issues and instead changed the entire foundation of the game with their CU and NGE updates these were the reasons people left in droves. Not to mention how badly SOE managed players in general.

Edited by sambeta