SWTOR vs SWG

PeacefulViolence

SWTOR doesn't have that sandbox open world or swg feeling. GW2 is as close u can get to sandbox open world feeling. It kinda reminds me of swg, having flashbacks.

Excuse me? I've played the guild wars beta...aside from just the WvW portion, it seems more instanced based seeing as how that's how the majority of the pvp is set up and done.

A true sandbox MMO would be like EVE or Fallen Earth or even Anarchy Online

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's kinda like saying if the vast majority enjoys Lady Gaga, other genres of music just don't work, therefore shouldn't exist, you can play your dumbed down MMO, i will wait for something revolutionary.

Lady Gaga?

Seriously?

Which of the two do you like more and why? Personally i don't understand how you can go from KOTOR 1 and 2 to this, (from what i hear there are some devs that worked on KOTOR on the SWTOR team) i understand those were single player games, but a 2012 MMO to feel like a 2005 MMO or whatever is just plain embarassing, it's the year 2012, get with the times "Bioware" or whoever you are.

With that being said, i would like it if this game was more sandbox style like SWG and had populated worlds where NPC's would roam around, the KOTOR games felt rich with life, this game just feel completely dead, everything in this game looks like an abandoned movie set. Makes me sad, I feel like in the hands of another company this game probably would have been better in at least one aspect.

You wanted a sandbox game and SWTOR was never ever meant to be a sandbox game.

You got disappointed when you played the game, big surprise there.

I was skimming over some of the posts here and I can't help but feel some people are acting like SWG or SWTOR is their bff or something. I loved SWG but it isn't coming back. It was a really great game for players who enjoyed a little more complexity, until SOE nerffed the h*ll out of it to try and tap into the "kiddie demographics". Honestly, after the combat overhaul, many people quit (including me). It had so much potential, but it became obvious that the people in charge where making poor decisions.

SWTOR is a completely different game that is more about story telling and cinematics. I doubt Bioware/EA is going to change that core formula. Which is fine. SWTOR is a awesome game too. The more I play it, the more I love it. I look forward to seeing it evolve and hope that the developers at Bioware/EA do not make the same mistakes that SOE did.

Honestly, future patches and expansions need to build on what SWTOR already has, tweak the things that can be improved (not freaking change everything so some little 11yrs can pawn with his little jedi toon), and really put some effort into doing things to the game that increase its immersion.

SWG did do crafting better then SWTOR does (in essence, crafting was much more relevant with a player based economy), and I think players should atleast have the option of chat bubbles. Other then that, just keep adding to the game, make more missions (solo, groups, PvP), give more options to customize (both your toon and ship), and don't listen to the "kids" who are never going to be satisfied; focus on a solid core fan base. Kids come and go based on their short attention spans, but fans will stick around till the end of time if you give them combat and non-combat options to keep them busy and a system that is balanced but not so balanced that classes and play styles all blend together.

Excuse me? I've played the guild wars beta...aside from just the WvW portion, it seems more instanced based seeing as how that's how the majority of the pvp is set up and done.

A true sandbox MMO would be like EVE or Fallen Earth or even Anarchy Online

Either way GW2 reminds me of SWG.

SWTOR is a completely different game that is more about story telling and cinematics. I doubt Bioware/EA is going to change that core formula. Which is fine. SWTOR is a awesome game too. The more I play it, the more I love it. I look forward to seeing it evolve and hope that the developers at Bioware/EA do not make the same mistakes that SOE did.

They already made a few mistakes or remind me a tiny bit of SOE.

Edited by Jonoku

I went from UO to SWG, you would of thought I should of liked it loving sandbox games. No this game was horrible.

I remember some wookies just standing next to a metal pole I had to blow up. Thats all I remember- Because every quest was blowing up some metal pole.

However they got the social thing right, but don't kid yourself into thinking they got anything right. The reason they made the changes to the game is because it was bleeding horribly. Granted that killed off the rest of the people.

There is no way you could of liked this game, unless it was your first MMO and were still playing zork before it.

I went from UO to SWG, you would of thought I should of liked it loving sandbox games. No this game was horrible.

I remember some wookies just standing next to a metal pole I had to blow up. Thats all I remember- Because every quest was blowing up some metal pole.

However they got the social thing right, but don't kid yourself into thinking they got anything right. The reason they made the changes to the game is because it was bleeding horribly. Granted that killed off the rest of the people.

There is no way you could of liked this game, unless it was your first MMO and were still playing zork before it.

THIS^^^^ I hate how people say there was so much to do when in reality there was barely anything. To level you either had to grind random world mobs which took forever or do the same randomly generated quest again and again. Half of the time the quest location would be placed inside someones house or under a mountain where you couldn't get to.

So you had to abandon the quest go ALL the way back to the quest terminal and get another.

I thought PvP in cities was a ton of fun, the player based crafting was really in-depth (at least when I was still playing... and im not just talking about weapons and armor but also Bio-Engineering), the space game had tons of potential (though never properly developed).... The main problem with SWG is they spent too much time nerfing classes and changing things around instead of fixing bugs and adding content.

I will give the same advice to SWTOR: Don't worry about trying to make everyone happy. In these MMORPGs everyone whines and complains like the game was suppose to be designed with "their" play style in mind. Every class thinks they are too weak and some other class is UbEr and needs to be nerfed. In the end, SWG just alienated too many players. However, several months after launch, and for about a year or two, the game was a lot of fun. It offered the ultimate opportunity: A game not exclusively marketed to kids (and by kids, I mean 14 - 22 or so). It had a lot of complexity to those who understood the potential. Instead of staying true, the egg-heads in corporate panicked and started messing with a lot of what made SWG what SWG was.

SWTOR is not SWG, I don't expect it to be SWG, and it should not try to be SWG. Bioware hopefully understands that it NEVER could have kept the player base it had at launch forever. As the "newness" and "hype" wore off, the real work begins. Tweaking the mechanics, adding content, maybe even releasing substantial expansion packs (and lets be honest, with EA, you KNOW there is going to be expansions because that is the only thing EA knows how to really do). Let the gamers with the attention spans of gerbils find something else to fixate on, and stay focused on the bigger picture. Bioware is a solid game studio and I have a good feeling that, in the end, SWTOR will be a memorable game... Just like SWG was.

They are two completely different games, both with completely different focuses.

SWTOR is focused on accessibility and eliminating the grind in the genre, with automated Crew Skills, Story Based Missions, and immediate and apparent access to more complex features (flashpoints, warzones, custom gear).

SWG was based around complexity, true effort, to many's displeasure, had to be put in to receive the best parts of the game.

I. am. so. sick. of. hearing. about. SWG.

When I think of SWG, I think of 40+ year olds, having fantasies about only the original VHS trilogy, unmastered and non Special Edition.

It's done. It's dead. Over with.

I. am. so. sick. of. hearing. about. SWG.

When I think of SWG, I think of 40+ year olds, having fantasies about only the original VHS trilogy, unmastered and non Special Edition.

It's done. It's dead. Over with.

This.

SWG was great. I had lots of freedom to do w//e I wanted and the community was great. However, SOE ruined the game with every patch they released. Pre-CU was king, CU I still had fun with, and the NGE was the biggest piece of **** I have ever played.

This game would be good if we had a ton of events.

SWG was so great that I've decided to not spend money on subscription mmos unless its SWG2.0

It scares me you're on my server btw

I don't get it. Lots of swg veterans are on Pot5.

Edited by Jonoku

SWG was so great that I've decided to not spend money on subscription mmos unless its SWG2.0

I don't get it. Lots of swg veterans are on Pot5.

you seem well educated about swg freind....can you tell the rest of the more niave folks what exactly swg was like exactly 6 months after launch?

you seem well educated about swg freind....can you tell the rest of the more niave folks what exactly swg was like exactly 6 months after launch?

Everyone has their own opinion about swg. I'd rather have a buggy imbalanced game with open world pvp. I prefer swg playstyle. My opinion stands bud.

Everyone has their own opinion about swg. I'd rather have a buggy imbalanced game with open world pvp. I prefer swg playstyle. My opinion stands bud.

people rabble on and on about swg..but that game was 8 years old at it`s death...which is really excessively old for an mmo....

thats why i ask these people "what was swg like exactly 6 months after launch?",maybe to make them compare the situations and stop acting like this is an old and well established game that they have the right to complain endlessly about

people rabble on and on about swg..but that game was 8 years old at it`s death...which is really excessively old for an mmo....

thats why i ask these people "what was swg like exactly 6 months after launch?",maybe to make them compare the situations and stop acting like this is an old and well established game that they have the right to complain endlessly about

First off, I'm not acting like this is an old well established game, it wasn't perfect but overall I enjoyed it which what matters. Also, I'm not complaining I'm just stating my decision.

I know both positives and negatives in swg same with swtor.

Edited by Jonoku

First off, I'm not acting like this is an old well established game, it wasn't perfect but overall I enjoyed it which what matters. Also, I'm not complaining I'm just stating my decision.

sorry bout my lack of tact..im using your post as a conversational anchor..since you seem reasonable....im just saying some of those other folk out there dont seem to get it

swg was 8 years old at death.....and swtor is really young....im willing to bet swg had even more problems than swtor 6 months after launch

sorry bout my lack of tact..im using your post as a conversational anchor..since you seem reasonable....im just saying some of those other folk out there dont seem to get it

swg was 8 years old at death.....and swtor is really young....im willing to bet swg had even more problems than swtor 6 months after launch

I'm also willing to bet eventually as technology grows. swtor might connect the bridge between sandbox and themepark. By this I mean, good graphics in a sandbox game with less restrictions and alot more freedom. A game that's able to maintain massive amount of people in the same area, even with the graphics turned all the way up and look as realistic as possible. Years down from now you never know because if this happens, swtor will kill WoW unless WoW fanboys are that loyal. This would be the best, with both best questing and story good graphics sandbox elements and all that I stated above, that would be ultimate and something we have never seen before.

Also, this would be a very expensive project and a company that would be willing to take the big risk will most likely have a big reward.

Edited by Jonoku

an excellent point. SWG launched in pretty much an alpha build and stayed like that unitl around Jump to Light Speed came out thats when they started to fix some of the major bugs.

But on that train of thought if you look at WoW now it doesn't even resemble the game it first launched as. The things is MMOs are a living breathing game and they do need time to grow to see what the fans actually want and see if the developers are willing to give that to them.

With every thing I have seen from Bioware I am MORE then confident that this game will continue to get better and better.

forget months after launch SWG had game breaking flaws when it was cancelled and dont get me going about the swg launch lol