SWTOR vs SWG

PeacefulViolence

Which of the two do you like more and why? Personally i don't understand how you can go from KOTOR 1 and 2 to this, (from what i hear there are some devs that worked on KOTOR on the SWTOR team) i understand those were single player games, but a 2012 MMO to feel like a 2005 MMO or whatever is just plain embarassing, it's the year 2012, get with the times "Bioware" or whoever you are.

With that being said, i would like it if this game was more sandbox style like SWG and had populated worlds where NPC's would roam around, the KOTOR games felt rich with life, this game just feel completely dead, everything in this game looks like an abandoned movie set. Makes me sad, I feel like in the hands of another company this game probably would have been better in at least one aspect.

Than unsubscribe and keep remembering your closed down game.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This game is just a WoW clone with lightsabers and voices. It makes you do the same exact thing as WoW

Kill 6 Jedi/Gnomes

Slow the horde/republic advance stop ________

Besides the main story theres not an actual story anywhere else. Its always the same Kill # of these, Loot # of these. Exactly like WoW. Crafting is also a bunch of crap.

I tried to craft in SWG and i was horrible, but it definitely took effort, skill and alot to understand how to be a good crafter. SWG was also more social than any other MMO and that definitely brings more "Star Wars Immersion" then kill # jedi because ____.

Did you honestly think that WoW was the first ever MMO to give you missions that have you kill a certain amount of Npc to gain, Exp...No and WoW wont be the last either. They got the same ideas from older MMOs as newer MMOs are doing as well..And for your info the class storyline is really good, the fact that they add voice to the missions is a plus, cuz most of the time when i was getting missions from WoW, I just accepted it, not knowing what the missions were about..

With every thing I have seen from Bioware I am MORE then confident that this game will continue to get better and better.

SWG is a total different game then swtor, I'm more of a sandbox mmorpg fanatic than I am to themepark. The path SWTOR is taking according to the content coming out this year gives me little to no interest, it seems its going to follow the WoW/themepark forumula and it's almost impossible for me to come back unless they get a NGE for SWTOR and make it more sandbox than themepark or bridge both sandbox and themepark like I said in a previous post this would be an ultimate project.

Edited by Jonoku

SWTOR: Offers a much better over all gameplay feel IMO (not a fan of experitse personally, but i deal with that). THe character models are nicer to look at than SWG. The abilites are a thousand times more fun. Sith lighting in SWG was stupid in comparison. The combat is just a whole lot better.

SWG: Had Atomosphere. This is something is missing from SWTOR IMO. It was the little things that made that game awesome, things like the little bit of music that would play when it started to rain or the sun went down, those little really gave a nice sense of immersion. The skyline on every planet was a center point of your view all the time, it gave a much larger feel on planets than what i get here on SWTOR. The planets were not even that great but the skyline made it feel awesome.

All in all i like SWTOR but i miss the open feel of SWG. Of course the open pvp was awesome. Here i feel confined to the fleet most of the time and while the gameplay i better the world i am playing in is lacking in that immersive feel.

There are numerous other differences but this how i sum up the biggest differences for me.

SWG is a total different game then swtor, I'm more of a sandbox mmorpg fanatic than I am to themepark. The path SWTOR is taking according to the content coming out this year gives me little to no interest, it seems its going to follow the WoW/themepark forumula and it's almost impossible for me to come back unless they get a NGE for SWTOR and make it more sandbox than themepark or bridge both sandbox and themepark like I said in a previous post this would be an ultimate project.

If you don't like TOR (and I mean this in an honest way), then why continue to play it? I love how TOR is story driven, but I too miss SWG's planets that were so open. But if TOR is annoying you, than maybe it isn't the best game for you. :( Just my 2 cents from observing the conversation.

If you don't like TOR (and I mean this in an honest way), then why continue to play it? I love how TOR is story driven, but I too miss SWG's planets that were so open. But if TOR is annoying you, than maybe it isn't the best game for you. :( Just my 2 cents from observing the conversation.

I haven't logged in-game for weeks and haven't been playing it. It's just not the best game for me. I came in expecting nice open world pvp but came in to be disappointed. If companies no longer make sandbox mmos, depending on the sandbox vs themepark poll, one of them will be entirely extinct from the mmo genre, which may effect alot of mmo gamers.

Edited by Jonoku

SWG all day long for me. If and when projectswg goes live i will be there. Messing about with swgemu atm but its projectswg for me.

As Mayor, Crafter and Event Promotor i find Tor totally lacking in social aspects. If our guild wasn't here in force (no pun intended lol) i dont think i would log on to tor more than 1-2 times a week.

I just miss the little things, housing, running a shop, proper crafting, decorating, fishing, hosting events. Tor doesnt even have multi passenger vehicles and the guild tools on Tor are pathetic but i also understand its a new game.

What if SWG 2 came out, and it was sandbox 2.0, basically redefining the way sandbox games work, ship, city, lightsaber creation is all still there, but expanded, sort of like EVE Online, the amount of freedom players have in that game is just out of this world, if they made a SWG 2 game with similar features i would play it in a heartbeat, i already wish this game was more like SWG and an SWG 2 would be a dream come true for me.

I loathe the Galactic Civil War era. The Old Republic is the only era in the entire franchise that I really enjoy. It feels a lot more futuristic and SciFi than GCW. GCW feels so dated, it looks and feels like a bad 70s scifi mixed LotR in space. TOR feels like there's actually some damn science involved along with the mysticism. The reason for this is, TOR has to actually set up the science behind the ships and the weapons, where by GCW-era it's just a given. It's almost like an afterthought. KotOR was a great example of building the science in the first 10 minutes of gameplay where it's explained how a lightsaber doesn't just slice right through a vibroblade parry; Cortosis weave makes it strong enough to hold up against just about anything. Or, the personal shield generators that all tank classes in SWTOR have in their offhand; these gave the Empire a HUGE advantage when they conquered Taris because they made blasters practically useless, and that's why Vibroblades, tech blades, and energy swords became the go-to weapon for the Republic military since they were the only thing capable of piercing the energy shields.

Basically, TOR = Science Fiction, GCW = Space Fantasy/Space Opera.

That's kinda like saying if the vast majority enjoys Lady Gaga, other genres of music just don't work, therefore shouldn't exist, you can play your dumbed down MMO, i will wait for something revolutionary.

Very true but you are trying to talk sense into people that dont have any, its a waste of time.

Im sure a lot of people are disappointed with what SWTOR is, the state of the servers proves it.

I think SWG was a masterpiece, and i only played it after NGE.

Its hard not be disappointed by SWTOR when coming from SWG, EQ2 and Vanguard.

Sadly the time of good mmos is over, at least for now. Even EQ2 and Vanguard are being WoW-ified at least partially.

One can speculate on the reasons for this situation forever, fact is this situation is here to stay at least in the near future.

Complaining about it will only bring upon you the wrath of the eternally satisfied sheep.

As for SWG 2 we know its not happening, but if i can fantasize, i would like a SWG with improved graphics, wouldnt need SWG2 then.

Edited by kaboro

Sadly the time of good mmos is over, at least for now. Even EQ2 and Vanguard are being WoW-ified at least partially.

One can speculate on the reasons for this situation forever, fact is this situation is here to stay at least in the near future.

Complaining about it will only bring upon you the wrath of the eternally satisfied sheep.

As for SWG 2 we know its not happening, but if i can fantasize, i would like a SWG with improved graphics, wouldnt need SWG2 then.

It's time to bridge sandbox positives and themepark positives to kick out all the negatives both types of mmos has. It's not a number one priority anymore because of the economy, the war, companies becoming greedy, cheaper to make themepark mmos then sandbox, I'm going on strike and from now on I'm not paying extra money or subscription money for mmos. if it's SWG2.0 or bridging sandbox and themepark mmo then i will pay extra. Until then it's GW2 that'll I will be playing and just regular games. Probably why people leave WoW clones for the most part, cheap themepark mmos over and over. Also companies are straight up afraid to make the same mistake as SOE. I don't even know what George Lucas was thinking, allow bioware to make this mmo when its just going to be a WoW clone anyway. Does he know what happened to swg when it tried to do that?

Edited by Jonoku

It's time to bridge sandbox positives and themepark positives to kick out all the negatives both types of mmos has. It's not a number one priority anymore because of the economy, the war, companies becoming greedy, cheaper to make themepark mmos then sandbox, I'm going on strike and from now on I'm not paying extra money or subscription money for mmos. if it's SWG2.0 or bridging sandbox and themepark mmo then i will pay extra. Until then it's GW2 that'll I will be playing and just regular games. Probably why people leave WoW clones for the most part, cheap themepark mmos over and over. Also companies are straight up afraid to make the same mistake as SOE. I don't even know what George Lucas was thinking, allow bioware to make this mmo when its just going to be a WoW clone anyway. Does he know what happened to swg when it tried to do that?

okay wow

First off SWG 2.0 WILL NEVER HAPPEN. Never ever ever. No one in their right mind would ever do SWG 2.0 after the how much better SWTOR has done in only 6 months as compared to 9 years of SWG. It's great that you will pay extra however unless you are willing to pay millions of dollars every month its not going to happen.

Next there is no way in hell Themepark MMOs are cheaper to make then Sandbox. Themepark requires far more programers and content makers to be on staff at all times. Sandbox just have to give the players the tools in game to build it themselves. Do you really think Second life cost more to make then WoW?

Also you realize Lucas doesn't care at all about what game is what. If you asked him what SWG was I bet he wouldn't be able to tell you it was a computer game let alone a MMO. Lucas isn't invovled in the day to day buisness of Star Wars. He has an army of people to do that for him.

SWG was a sandbox but also a themepark. Actually it contained a lot more themepark elements than SWTOR does.

The sad thing is that SWTOR fails even as a themepark, i mean seriously, just compare the Hutt palace in SWTOR with Jaba the HUtt's palace in SWG.

Revamp the graphics in SWG and it will blow swtor out of the water even on the themepark front.

SWG was a sandbox but also a themepark. Actually it contained a lot more themepark elements than SWTOR does.

The sad thing is that SWTOR fails even as a themepark, i mean seriously, just compare the Hutt palace in SWTOR with Jaba the HUtt's palace in SWG.

Revamp the graphics in SWG and it will blow swtor out of the water even on the themepark front.

..... what??

not sure if serious.

The good aspects of SWG that I could see adding to depth of SWTOR:

> Vehicles to transport more than one person

> free roaming/pvp space combat

> Yes player housing and city creation : put in 2-4 new planets: 2 republic and 2 empire per server. Make these contested planets that pvp can happen to the cities. 1-2 mayors per city on each planet.

> More classes. No need for buffing classes with no combat but 2 more unique classes would be nice.

Something new:

> Guild ships which can battle opposite faction ships.

okay wow

First off SWG 2.0 WILL NEVER HAPPEN. Never ever ever. No one in their right mind would ever do SWG 2.0 after the how much better SWTOR has done in only 6 months as compared to 9 years of SWG. It's great that you will pay extra however unless you are willing to pay millions of dollars every month its not going to happen.

Next there is no way in hell Themepark MMOs are cheaper to make then Sandbox. Themepark requires far more programers and content makers to be on staff at all times. Sandbox just have to give the players the tools in game to build it themselves. Do you really think Second life cost more to make then WoW?

Also you realize Lucas doesn't care at all about what game is what. If you asked him what SWG was I bet he wouldn't be able to tell you it was a computer game let alone a MMO. Lucas isn't invovled in the day to day buisness of Star Wars. He has an army of people to do that for him.

Themepark mmos are cheaper end of story. Why do you think we rarely see sandbox games around anymore? Sandbox mmos doesn't mean they are fully sandboxed either, if your taking it literally then your argument is invalid. Sandbox mmos are expensive to make, when they made swg, after the disaster, they didn't add any content, they would've add content if there was no such disaster losing their whole fan base. Sandbox mmos they add more content improve stuff, same thing as a themepark they get content. MMO's in general, they get content and updates. If your also taking it literal when I said swg 2.0, Noticed I haven't even said swg 2.0 would have to be the same exact swg that we know nor did I say it would have to be star wars because I can care less about that. If it will never happen depending on the poll of what people like more sandbox vs themepark, if it's one sided they will lose lots of mmo players unless they are willing to adapt to the new mmo system. Sandbox mmos are dying, that's a bad thing to me. I think what companies are thinking is themepark+good graphics>sandbox+bad graphics. I personally don't care much about graphics. I'm going to say this again, SWG positives>SWTOR positives. IMO.

Edited by Jonoku

SWG was a very different game comparing with this.

Yes, SWTOR is WoW in space, but not at all; and is perfectly known it lacks a lot of things that could make this a proper MMO, but guess won't ever be like that.

In fact, idc criers say something very known. And I just play this because I simply like it. Anyone have a problem with that? No.

By the way, I only would love to get some stuff from SWG free flying space ship in the galaxy. Lovely, :p

Themepark mmos are cheaper end of story. Why do you think we rarely see sandbox games around anymore? Sandbox mmos doesn't mean they are fully sandboxed either, if your taking it literally then your argument is invalid. Sandbox mmos are expensive to make, when they made swg, after the disaster, they didn't add any content, they would've add content if there was no such disaster losing their whole fan base. Sandbox mmos they add more content improve stuff, same thing as a themepark they get content. MMO's in general, they get content and updates. If your also taking it literal when I said swg 2.0, Noticed I haven't even said swg 2.0 would have to be the same exact swg that we know nor did I say it would have to be star wars because I can care less about that. If it will never happen depending on the poll of what people like more sandbox vs themepark, if it's one sided they will lose lots of mmo players unless they are willing to adapt to the new mmo system. Sandbox mmos are dying, that's a bad thing to me. I think what companies are thinking is themepark+good graphics>sandbox+bad graphics. I personally don't care much about graphics. I'm going to say this again, SWG positives>SWTOR positives. IMO.

first off don't use walls of text they don't help you.

Second of all. Name the most expensive MMO.

Now look at the cost of recent sandbox MMOs like EVE and Darfkall and then try to tell me those cost more then Themepark MMOs like WoW, AoC or Warhammer online.

It doesn't matter what your personal preferences are the market has spoken Themepark MMOs are far more succesful then sandbox.

first off don't use walls of text they don't help you.

Second of all. Name the most expensive MMO.

Now look at the cost of recent sandbox MMOs like EVE and Darfkall and then try to tell me those cost more then Themepark MMOs like WoW, AoC or Warhammer online.

It doesn't matter what your personal preferences are the market has spoken Themepark MMOs are far more succesful then sandbox.

Source? Like I said if it's a one sided poll then there is a big issue, not many are willing to adapt.

Edited by Jonoku

I played SWG for about 7 years and loved it mostly for the space game. For me it was basically XWA v2.0.

I do like the sandbox style of MMO better than the themepark though. I feel like I'm playing KOTOR again...but with more story. Once I get through all the stories I'll probably get bored and quit. I also liked the Galactic Civil War time frame better than the Old Republic...just feels better with less Jedi to me (the crap ton of people swinging glow bats in SWG don't count...).

All in all, I hope this game dies out so they can make an MMO that takes place in the New Republic or Galactic Alliance time frame.

Source? Like I said if it's a one sided poll then there is a big issue, not many are willing to adapt.

http://mmodata.blogspot.com/ How about this site. Google helps all. Shows the numbers, you see themepark is always bigger and more successful its whole life cycle compared to sandbox.

Sandbox never was big in subcription numbers or mainstream. Hell Japanese MMO FFXI beat the pants off SWG. SWG ever got over 300k. FFXI had 500k and still has them today.

Themepark MMOs usually go over 1million mark but sandbox usally don't do that well. Eve is the successful one out today.

SWTOR does need some sandbox in it to make it more fun in my opinion thought.

SWG was a very different game comparing with this.

Yes, SWTOR is WoW in space, but not at all; and is perfectly known it lacks a lot of things that could make this a proper MMO, but guess won't ever be like that.

In fact, idc criers say something very known. And I just play this because I simply like it. Anyone have a problem with that? No.

By the way, I only would love to get some stuff from SWG free flying space ship in the galaxy. Lovely, :p

And the SWG crafting system.... Loved it. The current crafting system for SWTOR is too simple.

I was an avid SWG player for 7 years, but given the lack of development on the game in terms of graphics immersion, I would not go back if SOE opened the game again for free!

To me SWTOR is pretty much everything I would have expected from a SWG 2, with the minor addition of the KOTOR style UI.

I agree, I did not last 7 years made it for about 4 and a half plus beta, through all the changes, it just never was a good game from day one for me.. My friends always said it was not the game that kept us playing it was the things we found to do as friends in the game, to me swg was more of a sim than a true mmo-rpg, and just like theme park games true sandbox play just don't make it in the long run, maybe a combo game with a little theme park and sandbox play might be better who knows.

My big problrm with Tor, is bioware is just so glacially, slow about getting content out.