Why You Should NEVER Play a Gunslinger/Sniper

PlagaNerezza

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Im a lvl 18 sniper and i have no issues with the class atm, im loving the wholerole of a sniper in PVP and PVE. reading the OP's i just laughed, i cant help wonder if he has used any points in his tree coz i can do some nice crits even as a low lvl.

my issue with gunslingers is how ineffective they are at Huttball. Sure, I usually get the highest damage in HB, but as far as actually helping the team score or defend? I'm worse than useless, cause my nutkick fills like 80% resolve.

I have one useful tool, legshot, which I can occasionally use to root the ballcarrier over the fire. Apart from that, all I can do is try to focus fire the healers.

It's frustrating how class dependent that map is. Like, every AC is good for something in Voidstar or Civil War, but HuttBall really leaves gunslingers and sentinels out in the cold.

Imps on swiftsure are so focused on attacking only the closest thing that I've seen gunslingers shoot them non stop from the same spot for over 7 minutes (was guarding a node, so couldnt participate) and the stealth only attack targets that are under 50% (seen so many just stand there not participating until an enemy is alone and at under 50% hp). on IE every single imp would just move 2 feet to los the same gunslinger and thats before the gunslinger would have 2-3 stealth on him.

Basically if the same gunslinger was put into the same scenario on both servers. The damage would be 600k on swiftsure and maybe 250k on IE.

Playing a gunslinger/sniper on swiftsure is a lot more fun :) from first hand experience.

TLDR. Damage results mean nothing when the majority of players arent aware of enemies around them or understand that LOS is the best defensive thing in the game.

Edited by shadowAI

It's a bit blurry but that sure looks like a 1-49 screenshot.

touche .... breathtaking observation.

Since it looks like a 1-49 screenshot that means it probably is a 1-49 screenshot which would mean it bears no meaning what so ever and in fact I was wrong ... Snipers do need to be buffed.

Please give us heavy armor and/or heals ... and while ur at it instead of a simple knife can we have a retractable lightsaber?

my issue with gunslingers is how ineffective they are at Huttball. Sure, I usually get the highest damage in HB, but as far as actually helping the team score or defend? I'm worse than useless, cause my nutkick fills like 80% resolve.

I have one useful tool, legshot, which I can occasionally use to root the ballcarrier over the fire. Apart from that, all I can do is try to focus fire the healers.

It's frustrating how class dependent that map is. Like, every AC is good for something in Voidstar or Civil War, but HuttBall really leaves gunslingers and sentinels out in the cold.

You're doing it right.

Everyone has their part to play, and taking out the sages/sorc's with their quick ball running, excellent dps, CC, and healing is our job. We're very good at bursting them down, and if they run away to LoS you, you've won without actually killing them.. now pick another Sorc (finding one within range should never be a problem) and send them back to their spawn point.

Leg shoot ball carriers, shatter shot high armor targets to assist your team, but above all else.. kill healers.

You're doing it right.

Everyone has their part to play, and taking out the sages/sorc's with their quick ball running, excellent dps, CC, and healing is our job. We're very good at bursting them down, and if they run away to LoS you, you've won without actually killing them.. now pick another Sorc (finding one within range should never be a problem) and send them back to their spawn point.

Leg shoot ball carriers, shatter shot high armor targets to assist your team, but above all else.. kill healers.

Yeah, I also spend a lot of time attracting attention with my grenades and getting focus fired to death. Because I'm so squishy I'm an attractive target for kill-hunters, I get that. I also get that when I'm getting hit the ball carrier/actually useful players aren't, but still... it really isn't fun.

Anyway, I can't wait to never play huttball again with my slinger. The map is a lot of fun on my Guardian but.

I'm not going to get into a argument with the OP or any of the people on here saying my class is useless, no-good, can't kill anything, or shouldn't be played because something else is better- there's no point in it.

What I will say ( and this is coming from a full BM sniper ) is that I have a blast playing this class.

A lot has to do with your spec - I have played all 3 and have settle on Lethal Engineer hybrid.

Marks spec is fun for the big numbers- but if a team focuses you , you're going to have a rough time.

Engineering spec is for survival / utility - your the guy that basically says as long as I'm alive your not taking this door or node. I love seeing these guys in wz's

Lethality and Leth/Eng is your pvp spec's

When I play this spec ( hybrid) I have a blast

I have no trouble killing 1v1

I have no problem burning you down ( even other BM's )

I have no problem escaping death from op's/scoundrels

My dmg is good and my deaths are low

To future snipers- you can listening to the OP or whoever you want for that matter- but for myself - I LOVE PLAYING THIS CLASS IN PVP

It's definitely a fun class to play... Which is why many of us stay with it. The frustration comes in having to fly to reach heights that some 12 year old can stumble to as an inquisitor. In addition to that, we don't have any specific role that isn't better filled by another class in huttball. At the same time, we aren't as versatile as most classes. So while a good sniper isn't necessarily a liability, he isn't adding anything that an equally skilled player of another class would add more of.

That said... For me, the pros (uniqueness, not looking like a mutant chicken, etc) outweigh the cons.

It's definitely a fun class to play... Which is why many of us stay with it. The frustration comes in having to fly to reach heights that some 12 year old can stumble to as an inquisitor. In addition to that, we don't have any specific role that isn't better filled by another class in huttball. At the same time, we aren't as versatile as most classes. So while a good sniper isn't necessarily a liability, he isn't adding anything that an equally skilled player of another class would add more of.

That said... For me, the pros (uniqueness, not looking like a mutant chicken, etc) outweigh the cons.

I think we can all agree that sages/sorcs are way overpowered for huttball. Too much utility, successful KB on an offense or defense ramp makes all the other classes' skills and cooldowns moot.

That said, to OP: my guildie gunslinger (rank 59, full champ) says GS are fun. You guys are a glass cannon spec, whaddaya expect?

Edited by ocping

I do those things. You're melee thing is missing hunkerdown. I do that mechanic. Crit snipe. It's funny. It's not that much dps. You just told me exactly the problem. Against melee root yourselve and try and out dps a melee dps class at melee range.

I'm sorry, you think you should be able to out dps a melee dps class at melee range? :jawa_confused:

I mean, I understand needing to root yourself changes the usual ranged dps strategy of slow, stun your enemy and run like hell but.. still no. You can open up on the poor sentinel at 35 yards, if you're rooted he can't use his usual gap closer. If he manages to close the gap anyway, he should be able to catch up to your dps and surpass you.

I play a sniper, a merc, a assassin and a marauder all in pvp. And by far the highest dps is my sniper, by at least 25%. I think it's more down to your play style. Cover is your friend not your enemy, the 5m range is real, but not that big of a deal. And snipers are very hard to kill.

This class is completely broken

I stopped reading here. Played Scoundrel and Slinger parallel for 30 levels, not knowing which one I want to go with, only to realize that I like Gunslingers waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more, even in pvp.

I came to the GS forum to see if it was worth rolling an alt and read this post.

I'm sorry you aren't having fun OP and that your going to re-roll. I can't suggest anything about Gunslingers as I don't play one (yet).

But as my main is a JK, can I just suggest that they are more broken, do less damage and also smell of burning tires. You won't enjoy them so do yourself a favour and don't roll one.

Really, you won't like it, they have cooties and everything.

Try a Commando or Bounty Hunter, they are amazing, do tons of damage and smell of cookies. Honest!

Sent 1: 'Do you think that might make him stay away from our class forums?'

Sent 2: 'I really hope so. Did you tell him we smell of burning tires?'

Sent 1: 'Shh, I think he might still be listening!'

I find it amusing that BioWare has ACs that require a little thought to play properly and because of this people cry about them being 'broken'

The AC isn't broken, you're just lazy and too used to WoW spoonfeeding everything to you

Snipers are all about positioning, target selection and patience. Amusingly, this is what snipers have to deal with IRL (if what I know of them is correct). Find a high spot with a clear LoS but not immediately visible to your target and wait

http://s1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh585/Dr1zztDoUrden/?action=view&current=Screenshot_2012-02-13_04_05_46_773959.jpg

yeah .... you sure its not a L2P issue? because if 65-2 top of the scoreboard in DPS & kills is a gimped class I cant wait to see screenshots from the OP classes.

Level 39 random pug in hutball. 230k dmg. 62 kills.

Against no healers and what appears to be some pretty awful counter class gunslinger/scoundrels. Considering the amazingly low counter dmg indicators. Meaning if you as you state the class is FINE should have had gotten 100k dmg. I mean they are your mirror counter. Either they are awful players and you post is irrelevant or there might be issues with the class. My guess is they are awful and that if you ran wz all day in the 50 bracket you couldn't mirror that with any consistency especially in huttball.

The class needs some fixes, my hey at lvl 39 it feels good. At level 50 it feels completely insufficient to me and that we don't have any functional advantage over any other class.

Pluease name 1 thing? You play a sniper what do you do better then any other class in the game.

I came to the GS forum to see if it was worth rolling an alt and read this post.

I'm sorry you aren't having fun OP and that your going to re-roll. I can't suggest anything about Gunslingers as I don't play one (yet).

But as my main is a JK, can I just suggest that they are more broken, do less damage and also smell of burning tires. You won't enjoy them so do yourself a favour and don't roll one.

Really, you won't like it, they have cooties and everything.

Try a Commando or Bounty Hunter, they are amazing, do tons of damage and smell of cookies. Honest!

Sent 1: 'Do you think that might make him stay away from our class forums?'

Sent 2: 'I really hope so. Did you tell him we smell of burning tires?'

Sent 1: 'Shh, I think he might still be listening!'

I'd highly suggest you play a gs. You'll enjoy it. No one else would I advise that to.

Sentinels/Maurder Dots + interrupts. Best melee range dps plus aoe.

Jugger/Guardians. best Tanks ok DPS. Have heard of descent DPS guardian builds.

Sages/Sorc best heals. 2nd best ranged DPS with dots and heals and sprint.

Troopers/BH Best ranged dps class Second best heals. Best dot dispellers.

Scoundrel/Op Best burst

Sin/Shad stealth kill burst + ranged dps.

Gunslinger

BAM. Nothing.

So you do play one. I am sure you'll be like na bra. I've a l2p issue with my class. Its the best dps. well expect trooper and sage. Hrm....

Its got an AOE build. Is it the best AOE class? I dont think so, but ya never know. Some people might say dirty fighting hybrid is the best AOE

Its not the highest burst class. It does have great finishing moves on low health opponents. However, I don't see any other classes having that issue.