Iscaria

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb.

DPS is used in those games because it's a term to measure the amount of damage per second a character does. Half those games do not refer to the classes in them as DPS. You aren't going to win this argument I'm prepared to sit under my imaginary bridge all day.

The point of my post was in reference to your earlier post where you claimed that someone must have only played wow because most games dont use dps. Unfortunately for you, they do.

How about "NO"? DPS is DPS because they DPS. No need to use old and useless abbreviations.

When I say DPS, I mean a class that has the defining characteristic of dealing high amounts of damage per second. Therefore my use of the term DPS to designate a specific role is 100% correct.

I just call them 'deeps'

Omg everyone, lets just call them deeps, I love this, Id totally forgotten about this. Then we can piss off the op in 3 ways. First we are using something other than DD, second we are deriving and even more incorrect form of DPS, an third he failed at convincing anyone to use DD and only drove us to use something he will hate even more.

LF2M Deeps for HM FP.

Edited by lunabaguna

The point of my post was in reference to your earlier post where you claimed that someone must have only played wow because most games dont use dps. Unfortunately for you, they do.

Just deleted the part of the wikipedia entry that states DPS can be used as a noun. Shows how reliable your source is. Suck it.

This is honestly the biggest pet peeve I have with people in the SWTOR community. In every MMO I've ever played dps stands for Damage Per Second. It is the measured amount of damage you do per second. It's not a type of class. If you want someone who's class focuses on damage they are called Damage Dealers or DD for short. So please use the correct terminology and start saying DD instead of DPS. Asking for DPS is like saying your car is a MPH.

Wow, congrats on one of the strangest (pointless) rants I've seen on these forums! That is quite an accomplishment.

Just deleted the part of the wikipedia entry that states DPS can be used as a noun. Shows how reliable your source is. Suck it.

Grats, it will be reversed soon and you will lose points with wikipedia ^_^. This really bothers you dosn't it? Its ok were using deeps now, or havent you heard?

This thread is awesome...either this is a much better than average troll thread...or someone is insane enough to think they can make everyone use the terminology that they have decided is "right".

I am going to start calling "DPS" characters "PCWPFIIDOO" "Player Characters Whose Primary Function Is Inflicting Damage On Others" and I want everyone else to use it NO EXCEPTIONS!

Damage Dealer is someone who specializes in damage. Not a damage per seconder.

Let's say I'm at the Republic Fleet and April 15th is about to roll around so I decide to get my space taxes done. I have some investments in the outer rim, profits from an s-corp, and loss carryover from when I failed to successfully navigate an asteroid field (never tell me the odds by the way). That means I'm going to need a CPA. So I broadcast in general "looking for CPA." This does not mean I'm looking for a certified public accounter or accountanter...

Try again.

Tanks are military vehicles! They should be called their proper name, Holding Enemy Monster's Attention and Taking Damage Guy.

looking for one more person to get pounded by some NPC's in a heroic while getting healed while all four of us do damage to them until they are dead and we finish the instance PSW.

This is honestly the biggest pet peeve I have with people in the SWTOR community. In every MMO I've ever played dps stands for Damage Per Second. It is the measured amount of damage you do per second. It's not a type of class. If you want someone who's class focuses on damage they are called Damage Dealers or DD for short. So please use the correct terminology and start saying DD instead of DPS. Asking for DPS is like saying your car is a MPH.

If this is your biggest pet peeve, I envy how easy your life has been.

Tanks aren't the correct terminology either. They're meat shields. They're damage soaker. They're aggro holder. I mean, that's their job description. A real life tank's role isn't to hold attention. It's built to destroy. So by using the term 'tank' to denote aggro holder, you're doing it wrong (according to the OPs assbackward logic).

And healer is also incorrect, if you want to argue about it. You're not suffering from ailment, no cancer in your kidney. You're not plagued by the influenza. The correct terminology would seem to be constitution restorer.

So once we can start using the correct term for aggro holder and constitution restorer, then we can start calling DPS damage dealer...but then, aggro holder has to do damage to hold aggro, and constitution restorer oftentimes use offensive spells to deal damage also. So in essence, EVERYONE is a damage dealer. This make things too complicated. Let's just call it Tank, healer, DPS.

I've played a few MMOs as well and the term was always DPS. Furthermore, those classes who do the dps know they are the dps - whatever the game or class. It is, with the exception of one carbon-based lifeform on a small blue-green planet in the outer arm of a spiral galaxy, universally understood. Language changes - words change meanings in time. Flammable and inflammable mean precisely the same thing - items that can be set on fire. Yet society has decided that flammable is for things that catch on fire, and inflammable can NOT be set on fire. A nunnery in Shakespear's time was NOT a building full of nuns - it was a house of prostitution. "Gay" means cheerfully free, light-hearted, but these days no one will understand that as the meaning if you say "I feel gay". So while your sensibilities may be offended, the culture of gamers has ruled against you. Game over.